PDA

View Full Version : Kyle The Points Racer

71Fan
25th March 2010, 17:29
From facebook.....

"We just worked from behind all weekend long,” said Busch, who swept both Bristol races last year. “The right front went down and I got into the wall there in about the middle of the race and things didn’t look good. The guys never gave up and I never gave up and somehow we got a decent finish out of it. We want to run better, but you need to make the bad days the best you can if you want to make the Chase and have a shot at a championship. We did what we needed to do today.”

Amazing. The kid might just be growing up.

slorydn1
25th March 2010, 22:05
From facebook.....

"We just worked from behind all weekend long,” said Busch, who swept both Bristol races last year. “The right front went down and I got into the wall there in about the middle of the race and things didn’t look good. The guys never gave up and I never gave up and somehow we got a decent finish out of it. We want to run better, but you need to make the bad days the best you can if you want to make the Chase and have a shot at a championship. We did what we needed to do today.”

Amazing. The kid might just be growing up.

I agree. I think finally owning his own team is starting to do for him what it did for Harvick

71Fan
26th March 2010, 01:12
Speaking of his own team....He and Brian Ickler are doing the switcheroo with Ickler driving Martinsville instead of Kyle. Money came up if Kyle would race the next one...which Brian was supposed to be in.

slorydn1
26th March 2010, 01:33
Speaking of his own team....He and Brian Ickler are doing the switcheroo with Ickler driving Martinsville instead of Kyle. Money came up if Kyle would race the next one...which Brian was supposed to be in.

Thanks for the heads up :up: I went ahead and changed my pick in the truck pickem's

71Fan
26th March 2010, 14:16
Hearing that Johnny Benson will be in #15 Red Top Auto Auction Billy Ballew Toyota for Martinsville.

Johnny is one of those guys that I just gotta root for. To begin with, he's a journeyman racecar driver that given the right car can win every time out. Secondly, he is a gentleman of the sport who runs ya clean until you want to mix it up....which is how I was taught to play water polo. Don't touch my trunks, and if ya smack me illegally, I'll make you wish you never got in the pool...dang, hard to believe that was some 40 years ago.

Oh well, Good Luck to Johnny and Good Luck to Billy Ballew. Given the right planetary line-up Johnny wins the race, and Billy gets one step closer to Cup.

71Fan
26th March 2010, 14:24
"I'm really excited about getting back to Martinsville (Speedway). It's a track that I've had good success at. Of course it's a track that all drivers have had bad luck there, too. Billy Ballew gave me a great opportunity to drive the Red Top Auto Auction Tundra. His teams are known for being successful each and every weekend, so I'm really looking forward to getting behind the wheel.

"Martinsville is one of those tracks where you have to be aggressive, but you have to keep the nose piece and the side fenders from rubbing on your tires. You really have to be aggressive to stay up front, but try not to hit anything. By the end of the race, especially the last 10 to 15 laps, there's a lot of bumping and banging. That definitely happens at Martinsville. Hopefully we'll be up front and out of the danger zone in the late stages of the race.

"A couple of years ago, I ran into a small incident with one of Billy's trucks at Martinsville (smiling). I got spun in the last two corners of the race. We were running in second-place at the time. I think most of us drivers have been in that situation before, where we've been taken out. It's one of those things you kind of laugh about now. It wasn't funny at the time, but I can joke about it now. So it is kind of ironic that I'm running one of Billy's trucks at that race track. It's going to be neat to go

Mark in Oshawa
27th March 2010, 12:19
Shrubbie had to grow up, how could he not with Joe Gibbs as a mentor? Shrub is just typical of a lot of these kids that come up and learn to race in NASCAR before their mental growth is mature. He is now 25 or so and he has obviously realized that thinking before engaging the brain can pay a lot of benefits....

muggle not
28th March 2010, 03:45
Shrubbie had to grow up, how could he not with Joe Gibbs as a mentor? Shrub is just typical of a lot of these kids that come up and learn to race in NASCAR before their mental growth is mature. He is now 25 or so and he has obviously realized that thinking before engaging the brain can pay a lot of benefits....
Give him time. He is still the "Quitar Man". Arrogance and stupidity don't dissappear overnight.

Mark in Oshawa
28th March 2010, 05:26
Give him time. He is still the "Quitar Man". Arrogance and stupidity don't dissappear overnight.

I think he got some down time over the winter to reflect on what he had done, and probably more than a few people in the sport have been talking to him. Too many people like his talent to not try to help him, and god love the boy; he has a personality. I wanted to hate the guy, but I just cant keep that kind of dislike going forever. I wont be a huge fan, but I do think he has mellowed a little because he had time to reassess what a jerk he was being. It happens.

Heck, Harvick still lets his inner jerk out on occasion, and choir boy Eddie Haskell/Carl Edwards is a bit of a phoney, so I wont knock Kyle if he starts smartening up...

We wanted him to be less a jerk, and now he is.

71Fan
29th March 2010, 02:38
As an old almost rock and roll star....I thought the guitar smash was classic!

Mark in Oshawa
29th March 2010, 08:27
As an old almost rock and roll star....I thought the guitar smash was classic!

THAT was his lowest point....

71Fan
29th March 2010, 15:29
Just the view from here. I only wish the thing would've broken up better.

Mark in Oshawa
8th April 2010, 05:57
Just the view from here. I only wish the thing would've broken up better.

You cant smash a Gibson solid body without scoring it. Sam Bass said if Kyle had told him what he was planning, he might have prepared a second guitar prescored and with just a lithograph of the original artwork for the winner to smash. See, while I get where Kyle was going, he took a man's hours of labour to build a one of a kind masterpiece and tried to destroy it. You just don't do that....even if you don't mean offense.

That said, the boy learned from it...