PDA

View Full Version : Rob Collard turns his back on the BTCC....

Alfa Fan
28th February 2007, 18:58
According to Motorsport News today, Rob Collard won't make an appearance in the BTCC in 2007.

Is it any coincidence that the season with the biggest entry list is the first for a while without Mr Collard? I think not :D

Apparantly Rob's looking to enter the Porsche Carrera Cup.

Iain
28th February 2007, 19:02
Yes, it's a pure coincidence.

edenrace
28th February 2007, 19:02
Sorry for being dum but I do not understand you thread,can you elaborate.

Funks
28th February 2007, 19:05
Good for Rob. :up:
I'd rather do something like PCCGB than pay for a drive in a 2nd rate tin pot tin top - if that was all that was left.

Allyc85
28th February 2007, 20:48
yea I think its a good move for him. It will be good to see him compete on a fairly level playing field as ive never been totally convinced of his pace, especially over the last 2 years.

Scuderia ferrari
28th February 2007, 21:47
Tut! All the good drivers are eventually trickiling out of the BTCC are they? Shame, he was a good driver and entertainment, so i wish him good luck in his new racing career.

Alfa Fan
28th February 2007, 21:51
What??

This year we've had Mat Jackson, Tom Onslow-Cole, Gareth Howell, and Matt Allison already confirmed as new entries to the series.

And we've lost, Rob Collard, James Kaye?, and Gavin Smith.

I think overall we're in a better situation driver wise than last year. All the good drivers from 2006 have retained drives in 07

Neal
Shedden
Howell
Plato
Turner
Giovanardi
Chilton
Turkington
Jordan

Winchester
28th February 2007, 21:58
Rob did well in 2005, admittedly in a smaller field.
But he was a bit rubbish last year and some of his driving was really poor. How close was he to having his licence taken off him?

BTCC2
28th February 2007, 23:18
Now lets see what Mr. Harvey makes of him :D

Rod Ennde
1st March 2007, 10:11
Are you sure it's not the BTCC that's turned its back on Collard?

Rusty
1st March 2007, 10:19
Sorry to go slightly off topic but as other drivers have been mentioned on leaving the championship does anybody have any news on whether Mark Proctor will be around this year????

BDunnell
1st March 2007, 13:50
I don't see this as representing a diminution of the quality of the BTCC field.

Ed
1st March 2007, 16:23
I dont either!! Collard did ok in 2005 but only becuase there were a few cars and he benifited from the reverse grids. Last year he was offff the pace from colin in race and qualifying conditions

nik
1st March 2007, 16:56
Goodbye.

The Porsche Cup is going to be wild this year! :D

touringlegend
1st March 2007, 21:39
Whilst I've always thought Rob was a good driver, he was never a great driver up there with the likes of Plato, Neal or Turkington. But he will get on very well in the Porsche Cup I reckon.

Rod Ennde
1st March 2007, 21:45
I think a lot of Porsche Cup drivers will be upping their insurance cover this year.

m0rk
1st March 2007, 22:20
Are you sure it's not the BTCC that's turned its back on Collard?

that's what I though ;)

I'm sure the talent was there somewhere - but his inability last year would make him a tough choice to choose.

Old racers don't die, they just run around in 911's

Alfa Fan
1st March 2007, 22:24
Rob could have done BTCC if he'd wanted to.

mattie007
1st March 2007, 22:33
Well, he did us MG fans proud in 05 and 06.
I think the added pressure of a top touring car driver as a teammate didnt help last year, but he still finished in the top 10.
Good luck in 07 Rob.

jeremywhitmore
1st March 2007, 22:49
Rob could have done BTCC if he'd wanted to.

Could still if he wants to......

Alfa Fan
1st March 2007, 22:51
According to MN he doesn't...even has quotes from him. I know he was linked to GR but that failed a few weeks ago,

Rod Ennde
1st March 2007, 22:56
Breaking news - Rob Collard quits BTCC - massive redundancies in panel-beating industry!

Funks
1st March 2007, 23:26
There seem to be a few people ganging up on Rob here. It's true to say he has been involved with a few of the more controversial incidents in recent years and has overstepped the mark once or twice but he is by no means alone.

It wasn't too many years ago that JP was being slated for what happened with PB at the Snetterton night race and JP again with Yvan at Silverstone; PB and Steve Soper pretty much everywhere; Anthony Reid with Matt at Silverstone; Matt with Owy at Brands... they've all had their moments!

Anyhow - if it wasn't for those types of incidents now and then, there would be very little to talk about after some race weekends. Lets face it, we all want to see drivers go into safe battle in the BTCC. If people want to see gentlemen racing then I would recommend the Goodwood revival meeting.

VkmSpouge
1st March 2007, 23:34
It is a shame to lose Collard but his 2006 performance wasn't good enough for him to warrant a place with WSR this year. I hope he makes a come back in 2008.

tdb
1st March 2007, 23:34
BTCC are using the type of incidents Rob has been involved in for promotion!

Ad in todays Autosport: two's company, three's a collision!

Rod Ennde
2nd March 2007, 00:10
You're all confirming that Rob is great for publicity ie "incidents" but a nightmare for insurance underwriters.

cpearson
2nd March 2007, 08:57
There seem to be a few people ganging up on Rob here. It's true to say he has been involved with a few of the more controversial incidents in recent years and has overstepped the mark once or twice but he is by no means alone.

It wasn't too many years ago that JP was being slated for what happened with PB at the Snetterton night race and JP again with Yvan at Silverstone; PB and Steve Soper pretty much everywhere; Anthony Reid with Matt at Silverstone; Matt with Owy at Brands... they've all had their moments!

Anyhow - if it wasn't for those types of incidents now and then, there would be very little to talk about after some race weekends. Lets face it, we all want to see drivers go into safe battle in the BTCC. If people want to see gentlemen racing then I would recommend the Goodwood revival meeting.

well said....

Rob is a very quick driver and been around the BTCC for a long time.....yet one season where he didn't achieve his expectations and he's public enemy number one. He was unfairly victimised last year on a lot of occasions. His driving standards were not the worst, there were other people out there doing worst and getting off scot free.

I wonder how good a season he would have had if it hadn't been for the "racing incident" at the Brands opener.....

People will say I'm biased but hey I really couldn't care. As Alfa Fan said Rob could have raced this year and may still be out there but there were reasons why he didn't take the offers he had.

One of the nicest guys/drivers you'll ever meet.

C

edenrace
2nd March 2007, 09:10
Quite agree ,the incident at Brands was not deliberate , in typical S Neal manner lets make a lot of noise . Rob is a very talented driver. RAC/WSR required a driver with a younger profile and with more money ,the BMWs are expensive to buy and run.

SEATFreak
2nd March 2007, 14:28
Sorry to loose Rob. He was a character I liked. As cpearson said he was a really nice guy.

It is nice to talk about why he left and whether or not the BTCC will be poorer for his absence but it is purely my opinion that it is as important to talk about where he may go.

Is there any early signs as to which team will secure his services?

I don't know what the rules are on the drivers one team can have and how many can compete in the two categories but Red Line must be out of the question. Tim Harvey, James Sutton and Nigel Rice (Pro-Am) have signed up for the team. May a space at Team Parker Racing be available?

Ed
2nd March 2007, 16:53
"Rob is a very quick driver and been around the BTCC for a long time"

yea he's been around fopr a while but he's hardly set the track alight when he was on the grid has he

cpearson
2nd March 2007, 17:02
"Rob is a very quick driver and been around the BTCC for a long time"

yea he's been around fopr a while but he's hardly set the track alight when he was on the grid has he

Ed - not always no but he's had his fair share of very good races....but I suppose you could say that about quite a few of the drivers out there...

I feel that the flack he gets on here is unjustified and people are too quick to judge either a person or a situation without knowing the facts. Also a lot of people jump on the bandwagon for no reason.

Chris

wedge
2nd March 2007, 17:21

Sorry to say it but good riddance.

It's guys out there like Rob who give BTCC a bad name, the naysayers who look down on the series and call it Premier League banger racing.

He wasn't the best of drivers out there, the likes of Matt Neal and Yvan Muller can easily be forgiven because they're quality drivers and Rob isn't in there league.

Yes, I do know there's contact involved but the difference is all too apparant at WSR. Collard still thinks he's racing stock cars, whereas Colin Turkington is probably the currently one of the best drivers out there pulling off the 'love-tap'/'bump n run' without wrecking a load of cars.

edenrace
2nd March 2007, 19:00
You cannot justify intended contact if a driver is quick. Rob may not be as quick as Muller ,who gets paid a high retainer, but he does not intentionaly cause serious accident damage.If so he would be banned.Having run the WSR taem for the last part of the season I can assure you that Rob was no different to the majority of drivers . Sadly Rob cannot see the sense in paying large amounts of money to compete in the BTCC.

MG2004
2nd March 2007, 19:54
If Rob won't be in the BTCC this year I am glad he will at least be at the meetings through the Porsche support races because he's one of the nicest drivers you could hope to meet in the paddock, always having time for a chat and a photo.

His results weren't great last year, but they weren't appalling either. I think the first meeting hanging over him for several months, including the legal wrangle over his transporter, took away some of his joy of competing in the BTCC and his results suffered as a result. I think the bully boy tactics of another team had a lot to do with Rob's loss of form after the first meeting.

I reckon that Fabrizio and Gordon both caused more damage last year than Rob, but they seem to get away with it. Colin had a bad season of results in 2005 but that is now forgotten because he bounced back so strongly last year. Rob's money probably kept WSR in BTCC in 2005 when he was their only driver. Certainly on the results of last year I am not surprised he was not retained by Team RAC, but I am saddened he couldn't find a drive elsewhere in BTCC.

I for one will miss having Rob in the BTCC, but I look forward to supporting him in the Porsches instead - finally gives me a reason to watch the Porsche races which up until now have just been "background noise" while I ate my lunch!

Good luck in whatever you drive in 2007 Rob.

reidy_fan
2nd March 2007, 21:37
I cannot believe all the verbal that has been aimed at Rob on this thread, yes he did a bit of rubbing but dont a lot of drivers. I think he will be missed in the BTCC as he is one bloke that showed the true spirit of following the motorsport dream by buying an old astra, the buying a top drawer drive

good luck to you Rob wherever you may race

KILOHMUNNS
2nd March 2007, 23:17
Didn't Anthony Reid have similar flack a couple of seasons ago from some quarters because of a few of his driving rubbings! :confused: That was unjustified as is the flack Rob is getting now

Ed
2nd March 2007, 23:24
the only flack im giving rob was that he was slow, rubbing and panal bashing has always been part of the BTCC for many many years now

tdb
3rd March 2007, 00:53
Ask Tom Chilton about the race in 05 where Rob won and tom came 2nd.

Tom will tell you, he had the better, quicker car, but could not get past Rob as he drove such a good race and deserved the win!

Also winning the independants trophy in the astra was not luck or even a top car.
It was down to Rob's ability behind the wheel!

And btw i am not a collard fan!

SEATFreak
3rd March 2007, 10:13
Didn't Anthony Reid have similar flack a couple of seasons ago from some quarters because of a few of his driving rubbings! :confused: That was unjustified as is the flack Rob is getting now

Certainly to the point they physically threaten or verbally abuse Reidy it was.

Whilst Muller is known to have physically threatened Reidy when in parc ferme when he yanked at Reidy's helmet whilst still on, Neal is known to have done both and before the cameras at Silverstone when Neal pushed him and made an expletive. Even the much nicer Thommo is known to have done one of them when he verbally abused him by calling him a clown who ought to be juggling balls in a circus.

jeremywhitmore
3rd March 2007, 11:49
Good to see the age old British tradition of building people up in order to knock them down is still thriving!!
Perhaps when views from people as respected as Edenrace (with all his years of sucess and experience) are ignored, you just have to accept the rights of armchair critics to have the opportunity to air their views in public is also a British tradition.
Whilst I think a lot of what has been written on this thread is utter nonsense, everyone on this forum has a right to a say. Maybe an idea not to appear to make comments appear so personal sometimes. I won't try to defend Rob on here, because he doesn't need to be defended. Rob is a personal friend who I have sponsored for 4 years now, and he is a top class act on and off the track. I am happy to continue my sponsorship, but both of us want Rob in a car capable of winning, and if that is not available currently in BTCC, we have to explore a number of other offers and option for 2007.

SEATFreak
3rd March 2007, 13:44
Good to see the age old British tradition of building people up in order to knock them down is still thriving!!
Perhaps when views from people as respected as Edenrace (with all his years of sucess and experience) are ignored, you just have to accept the rights of armchair critics to have the opportunity to air their views in public is also a British tradition.
Whilst I think a lot of what has been written on this thread is utter nonsense, everyone on this forum has a right to a say. Maybe an idea not to appear to make comments appear so personal sometimes. I won't try to defend Rob on here, because he doesn't need to be defended. Rob is a personal friend who I have sponsored for 4 years now, and he is a top class act on and off the track. I am happy to continue my sponsorship, but both of us want Rob in a car capable of winning, and if that is not available currently in BTCC, we have to explore a number of other offers and option for 2007.

Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

I have never once criticised drivers for anything I am in no place to comment about (Apart from Matt Neal - he really does have an attitude at times it seems). I consider myself more a "spectator" after all and I will remain one until I know anything like what "fans" knows. So I accept, keep an open mind to and are neutral to, the driving style of drivers. Who am I to criticise? I am not a driver, sponsor, engineer or Team Manager.

And I think those members that aren't drivers, sponsors, engineers or Team Managers really should do too.

MattL
3rd March 2007, 14:08
Seems that opinions really are divided on Rob. I think it's fair to say that anyone who has met him will say that he doesn't deserve any of the flack he's received in this thread. Not that it will bother Rob, I'm sure!

He's a BTCC race-winner who also has a thriving business and a great family. I'm sure there's the odd seat that he would have liked to have filled in this year's BTCC, but he's also not going to spend his and his sponsors' money unless he's confident of a decent return.

Rob's a long time supporter of the BTCC and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.

tin-top fan
3rd March 2007, 15:07
Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

I have never once criticised drivers for anything I am in no place to comment about (Apart from Matt Neal - he really does have an attitude at times it seems).

So its fair to bash Neal but not anyone else then?
Also, without criticism what would a forum be like? Its fun to be here, because some people critisize stuff that others back up, with a lively debate then ensuing- lets not take this away just because we're not managers, engineers, drivers or sponsors etc...

WSRfan82
3rd March 2007, 16:40
as much as i a fan of the mg and wsr i did not like collard last year his driving was to dangerous the amount of time he got in touble for his driving was crazy it was worse than reids driving back in 2004

Iain
3rd March 2007, 17:00
I don't think he was dangerous, just clumsy. Reid was far more aggressive in 2004. Rob was just unlucky and a bit clumsy at times and an awful lot of it was instigated by someone else. I've seen far worse drivers when it comes to their ability to dish out contact in the past 17 years that I've been following the BTCC. I think it's just a case of everyone always looking for a scapegoat.

wedge
3rd March 2007, 17:21

Fair enough, but us fans have a stake in the sport as well.

One of motorsports biggest clichés is that you're only as good as your last race. If the fans have noted on Rob's below par performances then so will the faces up and down pit lane.

Friendship and being a nice guy counts for little (unless you have deep pockets), its the performances on the race track that count.

Sorry if I sound harsh and elitist, but that's how I feel about certain aspects of motorsport.

Good luck to Rob in the future. If he does a good job in PCCGB then I'll be glad to take my hat off and take a huge bite off it because I enjoy seeing drivers improving and performing to the best of their ability in a more consistant basis. Maybe Team RAC and battling regularly with the big boys wasn't the best of environments because something definitely went wrong on race days. I'm sure a time out will do a lot of good to Rob.

Hazell B
3rd March 2007, 18:27
Rob was just unlucky and a bit clumsy at times and an awful lot of it was instigated by someone else.

That's pretty much what I would have said :up:

I'll miss cheering Rob on this year. He mildly disappointed me last year, but only in one race where he got sloppy. The rest of the time I loved seeing him out there.

Looking forward to the Porkers even more than usual now :D

SEATFreak
4th March 2007, 10:26
So its fair to bash Neal but not anyone else then?

I said that? That part of my memory appears a murky bog strangely. Refresh my memory. I think it would be fun to see the result of your search :p :

"Apart from Matt Neal" refers to a feeling that their is in Mr Neal's case a reason to have an aggreivance. He ain't Clark Kent. Even I can think of times when he has caused trouble. Physically or verbally. Comparing Rob to Matt is like comparing apples to oranges.

Also, without criticism what would a forum be like? Its fun to be here, because some people critisize stuff that others back up, with a lively debate then ensuing- lets not take this away just because we're not managers, engineers, drivers or sponsors etc...

I feel there is criticism and their is criticism. And the kind I am getting is the kind I do not like. The kind I want to get across.

Granted if your a member who is involved with a team you can be fairly sure of how a driver is driving in terms of overall style and technique. Your in a better position. But if like me you are not then how can any of us call our judgements cast iron?

btw, since when has the forum been fun for me! Since when has anyone backed up anything I have said! :rotflmao:

chrisyboy
4th March 2007, 11:27
No great loss in my opinion

Iain
4th March 2007, 14:41
I said that? That part of my memory appears a murky bog strangely. Refresh my memory. I think it would be fun to see the result of your search :p :

"Apart from Matt Neal" refers to a feeling that their is in Mr Neal's case a reason to have an aggreivance. He ain't Clark Kent. Even I can think of times when he has caused trouble. Physically or verbally. Comparing Rob to Matt is like comparing apples to oranges.

I feel there is criticism and their is criticism. And the kind I am getting is the kind I do not like. The kind I want to get across.

Granted if your a member who is involved with a team you can be fairly sure of how a driver is driving in terms of overall style and technique. Your in a better position. But if like me you are not then how can any of us call our judgements cast iron?

btw, since when has the forum been fun for me! Since when has anyone backed up anything I have said! :rotflmao:

Can we not turn this thread into another SEAT Freak attention-seeking mission please? :)

nicemms
4th March 2007, 20:49
I will miss Rob too, but I feel that his driving last season wasn't his best which may have influenced his descion to leave the btcc.

Another factor may have been the increasing number of indepenents that could challenge him and possibly better him. A new series and a new challenge could bring out the best in him and I wish him the best of luck.

tisme
5th March 2007, 21:32
According to Motorsport News today, Rob Collard won't make an appearance in the BTCC in 2007.

Is it any coincidence that the season with the biggest entry list is the first for a while without Mr Collard? I think not :D

Apparantly Rob's looking to enter the Porsche Carrera Cup.

Wouldn't this just be interesting if it turns out to be not true!

We know how a lot of people take what Motorsport News has to say as fact!

Love him or loath him, Rob Collard normally pulls something out of the bag to stay in the BTCC! And frankly, I can't see Rob running around in a Porsche!

I will wait for the press day before I believe it!