PDA

View Full Version : BTCC 2010 Line-ups

Alfa Fan
23rd March 2010, 09:54
So what does everyone make of the driver line-up for 2010 then?

Well first of all I'm ever so slightly underwhelmed by the Motorbase announcement, after the hype their driver line-up has had in the last week. Mat Jackson and Steven Kane is good, but I can only see one of their drivers in contention to win races.

Prediction: Jackson to outscore Kane points wise 2-1.

Honda Racing have perhaps the strongest team line-up on the grid, with experienced champion Matt Neal and the return of Gordon Shedden, who has always done well alongside Matt in the past.

Prediction: Shedden to beat Neal in the championship standings.

I'm pleased to see the Cruze racing, and even more so with Jason behind the wheel. Alex has looked solid in the support categories in previous years, albeit maybe not the absolute fastest driver. A very big step up.

Prediction: Plato to win a few races, McDowall some way off.

Good to see Arena having two cars out racing as they have a reputation to talk up their program and then under deliver. The car was genuinely quick towards the end of last season. I suspect Chilton will do the better of the two drivers.

Prediction: Chilton will finish significantly higher than Onslow-Cole.

West Surrey Racing have easily the most disappointing driver line-up. It looks like they are set to go for a team that won the championship to one that will struggle to have a driver in the top 6. Neate I don't expect to even finish top 10.

Prediction: Dismal season for WSR unless late Turkington deal can be done.

John George joins Techspeed to race alongside Paul O'Neill.

Prediction: Occasional top 6s from O'Neill, George to pick up a few points

Arthur Forster and Martin Depper step up from the Mini championship to race a pair of BMWs.

Prediction: Depper to achieve occasional top 6 results

As for the single car entries...

Prediction: Dave Pinkney will fail to reach the podium
Prediction: Shaun Hollamby will achieve occasional top 10s (much as I'd like to see them do better)
Prediction: Martin Johnson to get a top 6 result this season
Prediction: Boardman will occasionally challenge for the podium
Prediction: Hamilton will often beat some of the newer S2000 privateer cars

Will wait until we know 888s driver line-up before commenting.

christophulus
23rd March 2010, 10:13
I've got my fingers crossed that Turkington gets a drive at WSR this year, it's ridiculous that the reigning champ can't find funding. Other than that, the line ups look OK.

Jackson at Motorbase looks good, they can build a decent car and he'll be up there, along with the Hondas and Plato's Chevy. And the Fords were improving last year so we've almost got all the pieces in place.. just waiting on WSR.

BTCC2
23rd March 2010, 11:24
Don't forget Andrew Jordan. He could be one to watch I feel.

VkmSpouge
23rd March 2010, 19:05
I think Andrew Jordan should be able to claim his first race win this season in a team essentially built around him.

Well first of all I'm ever so slightly underwhelmed by the Motorbase announcement, after the hype their driver line-up has had in the last week. Mat Jackson and Steven Kane is good, but I can only see one of their drivers in contention to win races.

Prediction: Jackson to outscore Kane points wise 2-1.

While I agree Jackson should best Kane, I think the gap will be a lot closer and Kane should challenge for wins whilst Jackson goes for the title.

Prediction: Shedden to beat Neal in the championship standings.

I think it will be close but Neal to edge Shedden. Honda to win the Teams' Championship and Manufacturers-Constructors' Championship.

Prediction: Plato to win a few races, McDowall some way off.

A bit like Rob Huff or (more recently) James Nash last year I think MacDowall will start off behind but will improve as the year goes on and maybe winning a race towards the end of the season.

It looks like they are set to go for a team that won the championship to one that will struggle to have a driver in the top 6.

Considering Collard finished 6th last year, I reckon he should be able to repeat this feat or go even better.

Alfa Fan
23rd March 2010, 19:10
For Andy Jordan same as David Pinkney IMHO. Should be ahead of Dave but won't achieve much more.

Alfa Fan
3rd April 2010, 13:52
For 888: Giovanardi to score several wins if he sticks around for the season. Glew definitely to get a number of podiums and might sneak a reverse grid win.

Les
9th April 2010, 22:08
So what does everyone make of the driver line-up for 2010 then?

somehow i think you were backing the wrong one

Alfa Fan
9th April 2010, 22:18
It was clear Mat could have won the race as Steven was definitely holding him up. It was only a reverse grid race anyway.

AndySpeed
9th April 2010, 22:39
I agree with Alfa Fan, although I probably rate Kane a bit higher by the sounds of it.

It was a reverse grid race win, which has less kudos attached to it, and Jackson was visibly faster.