PDA

View Full Version : Smokers - what's your favourite brand of cigarette?

52Paddy
21st March 2010, 00:44
I am expecting some people to come on here and say the don't smoke and then the thread to escalate into a "smoking is bad for your health" debate. But I would like to try and avoid that so this is aimed at smokers and those who used to smoke.

I'm simply curious as to what your favourite brands are. I smoke roll-ups and have for the past year. Ever since making the switch, I find conventional cigarettes difficult to smoke. They just don't taste nice any more and there isn't the same hit off them when compared to the rollies.

With that said, I buy Drum dark blue which I find has a nice flavour tone. Though I'm generally open about what tobacco I purchase, I prefer Drum for its slightly moist feeling. Amber Leaf, Cutters Choice and Samson I find too dry.

:s mokin:

Valve Bounce
21st March 2010, 04:10
The one with the pictures of gangrene in the limbs and toes on the packet.

Sonic
21st March 2010, 07:48
As a non smoker I'm surprised to hear that there is that much difference between brands - you make it sound almost like fine wine.

tannat
21st March 2010, 08:33
As a non smoker I'm surprised to hear that there is that much difference between brands - you make it sound almost like fine wine.

Have never smoked a cigarette, but there is a marked difference amongst cigars..

Your analogy is spot on..

EuroTroll
21st March 2010, 11:30
I used to be Marlboro man too, the light(s) version. I'd better say no more, 'cause we'd be in danger of this becoming the "smoking is bad for you" debate. ;)

anthonyvop
21st March 2010, 16:09
Say what you want but smoking is cool!

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 17:28
Dopey habit...I never saw it as cool....

MrJan
21st March 2010, 23:40
I am expecting some people to come on here and say the don't smoke and then the thread to escalate into a "smoking is bad for your health" debate.

I've never seen the 'bad for your health' thing as particularly important, more that it makes you stink and turns your fingers yellow :p :

Never smoked a cigarette in my life but my brother is a smoker and when he started he tried brands according to motorsport sponsorship, beginning with Malboro (McLaren) and moving through JPS (Lotus), Camel (Honda MotoGP), B&H (Jordan), Lucky Strike (BAR) and so on. He also says that he hasn't managed to find a pack of 555 yet which is probably a disappointment as he's mainly a rally fan :D I believe that he's a Malboro Lights kinda person but is trying to quit at the minute so has one of those electronic jobbers.

My Mum has smoked rollies for years and I've never seen her with anything other than Golden Virginia.

bluegem280
22nd March 2010, 06:47
From a smoker pov, the fav brand of tobacco that I consider the flavor and aroma suit my taste are BAT products, Lucky Strike and State Express 555...

Rudy Tamasz
22nd March 2010, 07:42
Not a smoker, but when I wanna relax a bit I'm having a Dunhill.

race_director
22nd March 2010, 09:40
i would love to smoke pot :)

but i prefer Classic Milds now days

Mark
22nd March 2010, 10:38
I person I used to work with told me "I'm a good smoker, I smoke menthol".
Erm, yes, of course. Firstly menthol just relaxes your throat so you don't notice the symptoms of smoking as much, secondly it also opens up your airways so the smoke particles can get even deeper into your lungs!

Back to the topic, when I used to work in a newsagents 'Lambert & Butler' was the most common. Especially amongst 16 year olds who bought them in 10's. That was before the age went up to 18.

harsha
22nd March 2010, 11:10
didn't have "rollies" at all , not sure you do get them here in India...izzit like buying filter paper , tobacco and manually rolling them up and keeping it in a filter...wow , sounds like a tedious duty to me...

I usually have Classic Milds

22nd March 2010, 11:33
I stopped smoking when I found out La Bella donna was expecting, but my prefered brand back pre-baby was Lucky Strike.

It's toasted.

52Paddy
22nd March 2010, 15:23
didn't have "rollies" at all , not sure you do get them here in India...izzit like buying filter paper , tobacco and manually rolling them up and keeping it in a filter...wow , sounds like a tedious duty to me...

I'm surprised that they don't exist in India. I had some really good Indian snuff a few months back actually :up: The tedious duty isn't that bad when you get used to it. And it was really worth the switch from a financial point of view.

Before roll-ups, B&H were my favourite but I also smoked Marlboro red, John Player and Superkings. I never really enjoyed Camel or Lucky Strike.

I do want to try 555, Mild Seven and Gualoises (sp?) though. Just because they're motorsport sponsors :p :

harsha
22nd March 2010, 15:34
I'm surprised that they don't exist in India. I had some really good Indian snuff a few months back actually :up: The tedious duty isn't that bad when you get used to it. And it was really worth the switch from a financial point of view.

Before roll-ups, B&H were my favourite but I also smoked Marlboro red, John Player and Superkings. I never really enjoyed Camel or Lucky Strike.

I do want to try 555, Mild Seven and Gualoises (sp?) though. Just because they're motorsport sponsors :p :

actually , was just asking my friends , you do get tobacco , filter paper and filters outside too....just that you don't often see them being used , maybe they get confused with pot smokers...if i see someone rolling up a stick , I initially think pot :D

maybe cause a packet of cigarette's (20's) would set you around 100 Rupees
(1.45 Pounds)....so doubt you get cigarette's (good quality ones mind) that cheap in UK....

52Paddy
22nd March 2010, 21:14
actually , was just asking my friends , you do get tobacco , filter paper and filters outside too....just that you don't often see them being used , maybe they get confused with pot smokers...if i see someone rolling up a stick , I initially think pot :D

maybe cause a packet of cigarette's (20's) would set you around 100 Rupees
(1.45 Pounds)....so doubt you get cigarette's (good quality ones mind) that cheap in UK....

Yeah sometimes people ask if I'm smoking a joint :p :

In Ireland, a pack of 20 cigarettes costs €8.45 :eek: Though, recently a press-release stated that this price was illegal by EU law and could be lowered soon. In contrast, a small packet of tobacco (12.5g) costs €4.20 and lasts me a lot longer.

Rudy Tamasz
23rd March 2010, 07:34

In Ireland, a pack of 20 cigarettes costs €8.45 :eek: Though, recently a press-release stated that this price was illegal by EU law and could be lowered soon. In contrast, a small packet of tobacco (12.5g) costs €4.20 and lasts me a lot longer.

Sometimes I wonder how far the governments can go to rip off their citizens citing public health, public good, public finance, public whatever else.

EuroTroll
23rd March 2010, 07:44
In Ireland, a pack of 20 cigarettes costs €8.45 :eek:

That's a huge price! What's the price in Northern Ireland, under the UK's tax system? Is there a lot of tobacco tourism going on?

In Estonia, alcohol is a lot cheaper than in Finland because of the difference in tax. So loads of Finns come to Estonia to buy (often, Finnish made!) beer and vodka and take it back home. A big price difference makes people move..

slorydn1
23rd March 2010, 08:08
Marlboro Lights.....that was the brand my mom smoked and I began stealing a pack every other month from her...when I was 14

I stayed with them ever since :s mokin:

harsha
23rd March 2010, 12:57

now i know why you had to go to such drastic measures :p :

52Paddy
23rd March 2010, 13:18
That's a huge price! What's the price in Northern Ireland, under the UK's tax system? Is there a lot of tobacco tourism going on?

In Estonia, alcohol is a lot cheaper than in Finland because of the difference in tax. So loads of Finns come to Estonia to buy (often, Finnish made!) beer and vodka and take it back home. A big price difference makes people move..

I'm not sure what price they are in Northern Ireland but they are far cheaper. It's not unusual for people to do their week's shopping in Northern Ireland (usually Newry) and then drive back to the Republic (it's only an hour or so from Dublin on the motorway). Ireland, in general, is a rip-off and I think cigarettes highlight the fact best.

Also, I know independent shopkeepers who order in (or buy abroad) cigarettes from mainland Europe (usually Spain) and sell them for cheap in their shops. Sure, it's illegal but they make a buck and the consumer is satisfied with the deal.

harsha
23rd March 2010, 13:23
Actually , there are cases in Singapore esp with Workers from Malaysia getting 1 packet of cigarettes...they have to remove one cigarette from the packet as no person is allowed to bring a sealed cigarette packet in Singapore...

they then sell the cigarette packet to people in Singapore for a quick buck....

that's tyranny on the part of the singaporean government for me

Hazell B
23rd March 2010, 18:45
I'm a Golden Virginia rool-up smoker.
'Real' cigarettes last too long and don't taste of much to me, so hand rolling is my chosen way to go.

Joints .... yes, lots of people assume I'm on them.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2010, 18:46
I'm not sure what price they are in Northern Ireland but they are far cheaper. It's not unusual for people to do their week's shopping in Northern Ireland (usually Newry) and then drive back to the Republic (it's only an hour or so from Dublin on the motorway). Ireland, in general, is a rip-off and I think cigarettes highlight the fact best.

Also, I know independent shopkeepers who order in (or buy abroad) cigarettes from mainland Europe (usually Spain) and sell them for cheap in their shops. Sure, it's illegal but they make a buck and the consumer is satisfied with the deal.

You think governments would learn. In Canada, the government in the early 90's of Jean Chretien had ratched up the taxes so high on smokes about 40% of the Cigs smoked in Canada were contraband from the US. Canadian tobacco brands would ship them south for export, and they wouldn't even hit the warehouse down south 1 day, and the Natives on the Mohawk Reserve in Caughnawhe (south of Cornwall ON, and beside Fort Livingston NY) on the border would have great warehouses set up to wheel and deal with people wanting to take them north. Since the Reserve sat right on the border, and natives can come and go legally into either nation (since it was all theirs in theory once), they would smuggle like mad and people were selling the smokes without tax in Canada. A heck of a mess, and the cops couldn't stop it. 10 bucks a pack was the legal price, 6 dollars was the typical black market price. It still exists but the Canadian gov't got smart and knocked back the taxes, and the revenue went up because the risk of being caught selling the contraband smokes wasn't worth the profit when the taxes were dropped..

I guess the people in the Dail are too thick to grasp the loss in revenue and how to stop it...

23rd March 2010, 19:19
I do want to try...........Gualoises (sp?) though.

Trust me, you really don't want to try Gauloises.

Well, not unless you want to cough your lung out up through your throat after the first inhale.

Same goes for Gitanes.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2010, 20:01
Trust me, you really don't want to try Gauloises.

Well, not unless you want to cough your lung out up through your throat after the first inhale.

Same goes for Gitanes.

That is what I heard. The French smoke coffin nails....

23rd March 2010, 20:43
That is what I heard. The French smoke coffin nails....

Non-filter as well.

You'd have a longer life-expectancy if you had been first in to the Chernobyl Reactor on April 26th 1986 than if you lit one of those.