PDA

View Full Version : Colin Turkington

VICKI006
19th March 2010, 15:32
Hi all! Does anyone have any info on Colin Turkington yet? I have followed him for many years & really hope he gets a drive

PDS
19th March 2010, 15:39
Hi all! Does anyone have any info on Colin Turkington yet? I have followed him for many years & really hope he gets a drive
Like everyone else, you will have to wait until Tuesday...

Alfa Fan
19th March 2010, 15:41
I would be shocked if he wasn't out there! Motorbase or WSR seem to be the most likely. Personally, I'd be disappointed to see him not defend it with WSR.

WSRfan82
19th March 2010, 16:56
ive heard hes racing for WSR in the BTCC but he mite be doing selected races in the WTCC with bmw UK(Brands) and Germany(Oschersleben)

Alfa Fan
19th March 2010, 16:58
If he's doing BTCC he won't be doing Oschersleben WTCC as the BTCC is at Knockhill that weekend.

MattL
20th March 2010, 13:17
The Belfast Telegraph (20/3/10):
Turk left gutted as lack of cash ends title bid

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/turk-left-gutted-as-lack-of-cash-ends-title-bid-14731999.html

Allyc85
20th March 2010, 13:32
No way, how can that be?! :( :(

Robinho
20th March 2010, 13:37
thats ridiculous - how can we be in the situation where one of the longest serving, most talented and current champion driver cannot get a place on the grid. i know there aren't many paid drivers out there, but for the reigning champ to not be able to bring enough cash to get a drive is unbeleivable.

gutted for CT, he thoroughly deserves a place on the grid

mattie007
20th March 2010, 13:39
That is incredible. Surely the prize money for winning the championship would of helped.

On the other hand, could it be a hint to Motorbase?

wedge
20th March 2010, 13:46
Ooooof

BTCC2
20th March 2010, 14:02
Surely a small team would be able to give him a drive for much less, even in he was hugely uncompetetive it'd be better if he was there. Kartworld for example...they have 2 MG's one of which he could use...He's the champion for gods sake!

Alfa Fan
20th March 2010, 14:31
I still can't believe he won't be there. WSR have a car ready for him, still 2 weeks until the season starts so a little early for him to be conceding defeat surely?

Robinho
20th March 2010, 17:18
it gets press that he might not otherwose have got, which might prompt someone to stump up the necessary funds. a long shot but it looks to be what he's been reduced to.

mattie007
20th March 2010, 18:00
Surely a small team would be able to give him a drive for much less, even in he was hugely uncompetetive it'd be better if he was there. Kartworld for example...they have 2 MG's one of which he could use...He's the champion for gods sake!

That i'd love to see! I think he or his Dad still owns a WSR ZS?
Reckon he'd still be quick in that too!

Alfa Fan
20th March 2010, 18:03
He is not going to be racing an MG or anything stupid like that! He will be in a front line car capable of winning the championship, or won't be racing at all! One of the two.

Iain
20th March 2010, 19:13
That is incredible. Surely the prize money for winning the championship would of helped.

On the other hand, could it be a hint to Motorbase?

There is no prize money. And even if there was, spending his own cash on a drive is not the sort of thing a reigning BTCC champion should have to do.

And he won't just drive anything for the sake of it. It would have to be a competitive car, capable of doing himself justice. Otherwise what's the point? He's almost 28 years old (tomorrow actually) and has a prestigious title under his belt, he's not at the stage yet where he's driving purely for fun, he's got a career to think about. It's all about maintaining the momentum of his championship win and keep his reputation as high as it is at the moment.

I think it says a lot about the state of the economy, if he can't get the necessary funding in place, especially with all the contacts in the business world that his dad has.

VkmSpouge
20th March 2010, 22:10
I really hope Turkington can find the funds to race this season.

WSRfan82
21st March 2010, 00:31
only one word springs to mind.....GUTTED :( that's both my fave drivers out this year.
first Rydell in the wtcc and now turks in the btcc. i mean come on...think ill be supporting plato this season then

BDunnell
21st March 2010, 00:57
I think it says a lot about the state of the economy, if he can't get the necessary funding in place, especially with all the contacts in the business world that his dad has.

It also says a lot about the acumen of those businesses who support inferior drivers financially — and this goes for any branch of motorsport. It still beggars belief that funding can follow some around and not others, given that switching that funding to a better driver would be of more commercial benefit to the backers concerned, no matter what personal connections might be in place. Turkington, without question one of the finest touring car drivers in the world, potentially being without a drive is an example of exactly this. 'Twas ever thus, I know, but this doesn't justify it any more.

VkmSpouge
21st March 2010, 02:09
Rydell, Giovanardi and Turkington, that's one hell of a touring car team right there.

BTCC2
21st March 2010, 13:10
Rydell, Giovanardi and Turkington, that's one hell of a touring car team right there.

Isn't it just. We can dream...

mattie007
21st March 2010, 13:24
Well, we know theres a few seats left, maybe 888?

UltimateDanGTR
21st March 2010, 15:18
if turks doesnt get onto the BTCC grid in 2010 it will be a complete farce.

and yet who can we blame? bankers.

trebor901
21st March 2010, 18:43
If Turkington was looked at as one of the best drivers in BTCC then would he really be in this position? no, i personally think the only reason he won the title last year was because of the huge advantages the BMW's were given last year with weight reductions and stupidly huge advantage getting off the grid.

VkmSpouge
21st March 2010, 19:10
If Turkington was looked at as one of the best drivers in BTCC then would he really be in this position?

Yes he would and he is and he didn't win just because of any advantage the BMW has. He's just one of several top line touring car drivers without a ride currently.

BDunnell
21st March 2010, 19:12
If Turkington was looked at as one of the best drivers in BTCC then would he really be in this position?

Fabrizio Giovanardi is in much the same position this year. Jason Plato and Mat Jackson were in the same position this time last year. John Cleland, amongst others, has spoken very highly of Turkington's ability. So I'm afraid your opinion really doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

PDS
21st March 2010, 19:18
i personally think the only reason he won the title last year was because of the huge advantages the BMW's were given last year with weight reductions and stupidly huge advantage getting off the grid.
Sorry, what utter TOSH!

If you check, you will find BMW's had 8 wins from 30 races where the car was not on pole! And two of those they set the fastest lap!

I cannot see how that is a "stupidly huge advantage getting off the grid!"

Turkington only had 6 wins in total while Plato had 7?

BTCC2
21st March 2010, 21:52
Consistancy. That's what won Turkingon the title.

trebor901
21st March 2010, 22:27
Sorry, what utter TOSH!

If you check, you will find BMW's had 8 wins from 30 races where the car was not on pole! And two of those they set the fastest lap!

I cannot see how that is a "stupidly huge advantage getting off the grid!"

Turkington only had 6 wins in total while Plato had 7?

well BTCC obviously dont agree with you as they are making them run the longer first gear to stop them having an advantage off the grid

BDunnell
21st March 2010, 22:54
well BTCC obviously dont agree with you as they are making them run the longer first gear to stop them having an advantage off the grid

I assume you don't think Joachim Winkelhock and Frank Biela didn't deserve their titles either, then, given that both were in cars that had a big advantage over the rest at the start?

Robinho
21st March 2010, 23:24
that must have been why Stephen Jelly, Jonathon Adam and Rob Collard came in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in chmapionship, i why Turkington lead a BMW 1-2 just shading Matt Jackson to the title last year....no wait, that didn't happen, maybe the BMW doesn't have a ridiculous advantage. they might have an edge off the line, buts thats RWD for you, no one forces the teams to run FWD cars. i think the equalisation between the FWD and RWD is pretty much spot on, given the competitivenes we've had the last few years

WSRfan82
22nd March 2010, 01:46

you got that right

PDS
22nd March 2010, 14:31
Consistancy. That's what won Turkingon the title.

Exactly!

Don't get me wrong, YES BMW had a start advantage, just as FWD cars have an advantage by getting heat into their tyres quicker off the start.
But to say that Turkington only won the championship just because he had better starts is nonsense!