PDA

View Full Version : Going where no man has gone before...

tannat
18th March 2010, 20:28
I have a dear friend who has just had a hysterectomy performed (by choice, not necessity).

Curious if any of you have had friends who have done similar, and how their life was changed by the procedure....

Sonic
18th March 2010, 21:05
So.....not a star trek thread?

tannat
18th March 2010, 21:19

Good thread title, or bad..

Perhaps trying too hard to be clever....

driveace
18th March 2010, 21:22
Sorry ,not for me!
at nearly 70,I think I wont be causing any damage to any young active ladys
SO on that assumption,i will PASS !!!

Hazell B
18th March 2010, 22:15
I have a dear friend who has just had a hysterectomy performed (by choice, not necessity).

Curious if any of you have had friends who have done similar, and how their life was changed by the procedure....

A fully hysterectomy by choice? Isn't that going a touch too far when there are so many other options that are less invasive and downright dangerous? It messes up your bones and all sorts, I think.

Anyway, I've not had one and only know women who've had them because of cancer. They are all mothers and it's left them feeling (understandably) empty on every level, whatever their age. Not being a mother, I don't understand that feeling at all.

schmenke
18th March 2010, 23:04
My wife is scheduled for a partial hysterectomy at the end of April. By neccessity, but not due to anything sinister. Basically, the birth our second child three years ago displaced much of her internal plumbing causing discomfort to her bladder. She's tried a few non-surgical methods since but nothing to fully alleviate the discomfort. The partial hysterectomy is the last option :mark: .

GridGirl
18th March 2010, 23:06
My mother had a hysterectomy about 15 years ago. At the time she was loosing a stupid amout of blood every day, was extremely anemic and weighed around 6 and a half stone. She was in a right state at the time when I think about it now. :s

My mum had her hysterectomy via a suction proceedure and has no visible scars as she wasn't cut open so to speak. Quite clever but weird at the same time. I like to think that it was done by a clinical Dyson. :p

Both the women and men in my family have no history of any type of cancer. If I was to have a high risk of ovarian or breast cancer I wouldn't have to think twice about having a hysterectomy or having my breasts removed. It would be quite an easy decision for me.

slorydn1
19th March 2010, 00:29
My wife wanted one done, ended up just getting her tubes cut and burned shut (cheaper)

Any way....most of my female friends/co-workers that had them done were all mothers already. The all said the same thing, they thought it was cool-said the doctor took out the cradle but left the "play-pen" LOL :D

tannat
19th March 2010, 11:20
A fully hysterectomy by choice? Isn't that going a touch too far when there are so many other options that are less invasive and downright dangerous? It messes up your bones and all sorts, I think.

Anyway, I've not had one and only know women who've had them because of cancer. They are all mothers and it's left them feeling (understandably) empty on every level, whatever their age. Not being a mother, I don't understand that feeling at all.

Hmmmm.. not certain if it is full or partial. I'll have to ask her...

Eki
19th March 2010, 12:23
Depends if she was probed by aliens before the procedure.

Daniel
19th March 2010, 13:34

I'm currently temping to fill in for someone who's off because of a hysterectomy :mark:

SRT8
19th March 2010, 17:21
wow, i bet someones life would be effected with that.. and yes the title is ...?

slinkster
19th March 2010, 17:54
My Mum had one about 10 years ago due to benign cysts. I think the hormone replacement treatment afterwards messed her about alot but she seems to have sorted all that out now. I know a couple of ladies over 45 who've also had it done. I think it can be a difficult time for some women, a bit like the menopause in that it can impact how feminine you feel etc.

tannat
19th March 2010, 18:18
My Mum had one about 10 years ago due to benign cysts. I think the hormone replacement treatment afterwards messed her about alot but she seems to have sorted all that out now. I know a couple of ladies over 45 who've also had it done. I think it can be a difficult time for some women, a bit like the menopause in that it can impact how feminine you feel etc.

Had no idea hormone replacement might (is?) necessary.

Thanks for that bit and the rest, slinkster :up:

Hazell B
23rd March 2010, 19:24
Yeah, the hormones need to be treplaced to avoid things like brittle bones and so on. Thing is, some of the HRT available (in fact most of it) is made from horse urine and collected in a deeply unpleasant way in my opinion.

MrJan
23rd March 2010, 23:12
My Mum had one a while back. Never really spoken to her about it but she seemed much happier afterwards, if struggling to do anything for a few weeks. The actual operation knocked her for 6 (especially as it was around Christmas time) but once she got on the right HRT everything was tickety boo and meant that the whole family got less hassle each month.