PDA

View Full Version : 45-minute tribute movie to Ayrton Senna and FOM controversy

Antti_K
18th March 2010, 13:40
Hello, I would like to have your opinion on two things. Recently I made a lenghty video tribute to Ayrton Senna and received positive comments about it, I would also like to have your opinion on the video. It didn't take long for FOM to come showing off with their copyrights and soon I had my youtube account again removed. You may recognize me from antti2, antti2videos or simply the "Made by Antti" credit text after the videos. I also do rally videos and after these episodes, they are probably the only thing I will do from now on if I continue doing these at all.

I put up a new account which probably won't last long and for start only uploaded the tribute to Senna. Also I'll give you the download link for the full file so you are not dependant on the Youtube links, FOM is very trigger-happy with my account and could be that by tomorrow I don't even have the account anymore. I would like to have your opinion on this video and the opinion of the FOM's behaviour. They have only been interested in removing the last part which contains Imola footage but all footage is shown in a respecting manner and doesn't include the actual accident footage.

Download-link (recommended)
http://www.filefront.com/15810629/Ayrton-Senna.avi/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU2xaomz4ME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZKvF_EVzgE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tifCbhC6e0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGnpfWHzsrc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2_HZ379sG4

Also if there are some people here who work for FOM (you can always try), I would also like to hear your comments why you are especially interested in removing the final part of the tribute. Is it because the video is popular and not made by you? Because I can see that you haven't done anything to remove some distasteful footage that has been there for years. I realize you hold the copyrights to all the footage, but then tell me how this video especially is bad for F1's image when you let people keep gory aftermath footage of the accident in Youtube. What this video only does in my opinion, is promote the sport.

I think this subject deserves it's own thread, don't know if this belongs more to nostalgia or here, moderators can decide that.

Daniel
18th March 2010, 14:04
FOM, ISC etc etc = c***s IMHO :)

Antti_K
18th March 2010, 15:17
Here's a download link for the infamous part 5 seperately if you don't want to download the whole video from the link in the first post. Just scroll down the page and click "download now".

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b0a9gcd/n/Ayrton_Senna_5.avi

UltimateDanGTR
18th March 2010, 16:26
excellent work. FOM is a load of tosh, as Bernie creates a self interested money grabbing world using F1. I doubt he even cares about the races, he just spills out silly ideas every now and again to look interested whilst he puts more money into his and CVC's pocket.

anyway, are you the same guy who did some excellent F1 video montages with the great soundtracks?

Volky34
18th March 2010, 19:57
Excellent tribute created passionately by an obvious enthusiast, great background music representing that era...

Possibly the best Senna tribute I have ever seen.......

EuroTroll
18th March 2010, 20:18
Possibly the best Senna tribute I have ever seen.......

I agree. Watching it now and loving it. Thanks Antti! Brilliant work. :up:

K-Pu
19th March 2010, 00:12
Great video!

ShiftingGears
19th March 2010, 06:22
Great video. Get your own website!

Koz
19th March 2010, 06:26
Great video. Get your own website!

That would open him to direct lawsuit from Bernie.

Hey Antti, any chance you could PM me download links to your [rally] vids?

ShiftingGears
19th March 2010, 11:25
That would open him to direct lawsuit from Bernie.

Yikes.

Saint Devote
21st March 2010, 18:49
FOM owns the property rights - how can they make an exception? They would be effectively sacrificing their rights.

You ought to have written them and first asked.

Nobody can act as a pirate, no matter how decent their intentions are.

Just making the video AVAILABLE publicly to anybody is grounds enough for Bernie to come at you.

Consider yourself fortunate that that as far as you are aware you are not being sued!

Antti_K
21st March 2010, 23:00
If everyone asked FOM first there would be no F1 videos on Internet, I'm afraid. Removing videos like this is also stupid for them, they only promote the sport and I don't get any profit from the videos so what will they lose? You can't buy these videos from FOM that's for sure. I would understand it better if they removed official season reviews from internet and stuff like that they themselves sell. But when a fan-made video made in good spirit is a bad thing, then that I don't understand. Just look at most of the other motorsport series in the world, they even encourage people to upload their own videos even though they use official footage, WRC being a good example.

I know what FOM's policy is, it's not the first time I encounter it, but I don't agree with it or start to be overly afraid of it. Neither I have to feel myself like a criminal, there are lots of people that actually sell the copyrighted stuff of FOM and get profit of doing it. I consider myself as a promoter of the sport and they should feel happy they don't have to pay me anything. I won't upload that video to Youtube anymore though before that policy changes.

Malbec
22nd March 2010, 00:28
If everyone asked FOM first there would be no F1 videos on Internet, I'm afraid. Removing videos like this is also stupid for them, they only promote the sport and I don't get any profit from the videos so what will they lose? You can't buy these videos from FOM that's for sure. I would understand it better if they removed official season reviews from internet and stuff like that they themselves sell. But when a fan-made video made in good spirit is a bad thing, then that I don't understand. Just look at most of the other motorsport series in the world, they even encourage people to upload their own videos even though they use official footage, WRC being a good example.

I know what FOM's policy is, it's not the first time I encounter it, but I don't agree with it or start to be overly afraid of it. Neither I have to feel myself like a criminal, there are lots of people that actually sell the copyrighted stuff of FOM and get profit of doing it. I consider myself as a promoter of the sport and they should feel happy they don't have to pay me anything. I won't upload that video to Youtube anymore though before that policy changes.

Whilst there is no doubt that you have good intentions the law (not just FOM) is against you. What you are doing is piracy and FOM is well within its rights to shut you down.

There is no difference legally between you and say, someone who happens to be a fan of Brad Pitt copying all his films and making them available for free download. Whether you consider yourself a fan, promoter or pirate is not particularly important in the eyes of the law.

Antti_K
22nd March 2010, 08:24
I wasn't talking about the law in my previous post, I was talking about common sense, well my own common sense as I can't speak for anyone else. If someone thinks I'm a dirty criminal regardless of the law issues, then I can't change it. But I think everyone knows that in the eyes of the law I would be punished and not only with copyright infringements towards FOM, but for using music I didn't have any rights to use and probably thrown to jail for the rest of my life.

My case here isn't exactly unique, but I just wanted to share my frustrations about working 5 weeks for a video and many hours per day. When you do that kind of a video, you have to be very committed. It's not a normal 2-minute quick fanmade video with just clips thrown quickly over music. Forgive me if I come across very selfish here but that's a fact and after all the frustrations when making it, I have to say it. And then see it taken off in two days, the frustration will unfortunately outweigh the fact that in the eyes of the law I'm the loser and that I should have seen it coming even before I started the project. Maybe I'm too young and naive.

Antti_K
22nd March 2010, 08:41
Anyway, for Facebook-users I made a group where you can watch my new and bit older videos without having to downloaded them:

So if you are interested:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=106132069414990

Daniel
22nd March 2010, 09:17
i agree Antti_k, your rally videos are just fantastic and I think your work is 10x better than the stuff which is randomly slapped together with music over it in 10 minutes

race_director
22nd March 2010, 09:23
why cannot FOM have a tie up with youtube. they can telecast races with a 5 mins delay.

Even local cricket tournaments like IPL have tie with youtube for broadcasting live

FOM is a bag of , dont know what to say :)

Garry Walker
22nd March 2010, 14:18
I consider myself as a promoter of the sport and they should feel happy they don't have to pay me anything.
With statements like that, you are not exactly doing your case any good.

But I think everyone knows that in the eyes of the law I would be punished and not only with copyright infringements towards FOM, but for using music I didn't have any rights to use and probably thrown to jail for the rest of my life.

They dont throw you in jail for civil infringements as far as I know, they just take all your money :)

Amireles
24th March 2010, 09:25
Perhaps a little late as I saw this post on Monday and I joined to your Facebook group, but I though I had to comment on this:

First of all I enjoy your videos a lot, the Ayrton Senna tribute was just a masterpiece. These videos far exceed any other video editions I have seen for motorsports, professional or amateur. That is because, at least in my view, you have a keen knowledge of the sport's history, the passion for it and of course the edition skills required. Having said that I now move to the FOM controversy.

I do agree with you that you do this videos with no intention to harm any parties and you do them because of the above, Passion. And to be honest without people like you other people would not be drawn into the sport. as you said you don't get any gain and basically promote the sport for free. There are two ways of viewing FOM's position, the cynic way or the special bernie ecclestone cynic way:

The cynic way is that FOM does not care about promotion, fans, or even the sport itself, it just cares about the money it can gain from the sport and its history.

The Bernie Ecclestone way is: We have very expensive Formula One documentary coming in 2011 depicting the history of Formula one. Anyone using themes, or films that rightly belong to us have to be removed so the fans have to see and buy this film.

Am I going to far on my way of thinking? Maybe, but I believe the sport is not owned by FOM and the images that we have seen through the years are not rightfully theirs, they are the fan's and the people that have a passion for the sport. And the people that watched Senna win its championships...do they intend to delete all those memories from us? These attempts from FOM, and the media industry to stop the Internet revolution are pathetic. We see how the Label companies fighting new ways of internet distribution (I am not talking piracy). Artists, like you, should want their work recognized, and the internet allows that. In the future musicians for example will continue to do their work by support of their fans, not of their labels.

They can kick and scream and cry, the truth is that they won't be able to stop you and many others like you. Sure they might give you headaches, shut accounts that, but if its not you. Then one of your supporters would have created another channel, or used another service, or set up another page. So keep up the excellent work, there is people supporting the artist in this case. Thanks to you the passion for the sport still burns strong.

Big of long and ideological but hope it does any good for someone. I joined your Facebook group and continue to support you and recommend your work.

Also if you have the download links for all your videos somewhere make them available so I can download all the files and keep them as backup. Just in case ;)

Cheers!