PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Racing sign $9m PETROBRAS sponsor deal

Giuseppe F1
17th March 2010, 21:51
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/03/lotus-boosted-by-9-million-petrobras-deal/

Lotus boosted by $9 million Petrobras deal

Posted on | March 16, 2010 | by James AllengravatarcloseAuthor: James Allen Name: James Allen
Email: [email:oo4lpdtv]editor1@jamesallenonf1.com[/email:oo4lpdtv]
Site: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com
About: James Allen became ITV Sport’s lead commentator on Formula 1 in October 2001, having deputised for Murray Walker at six races during the 2000 and 2001 seasons. During James’ tenure as commentator, ITV’s race coverage won three consecutive BAFTA awards and the Royal Television Society’s Sports Programme of the Year award. In 2008 James and Martin Brundle were presented with an Autosport Award for their dramatic coverage of the final laps of the Brazilian Grand Prix, ITV’s last F1 race. The BAFTA judges also indicated that the commentary on the final laps had been the decisive factor in swinging the BAFTA ITV-F1’s way.See Authors Posts (422) | 40 Comments

It is being reported in Brazil that the new Lotus team, which made its debut in Bahrain at the weekend and got both cars through as classified finishers, has landed a sponsorship deal worth $9 million with Brazilian oil company Petrobras.

It is said in Brazil that the cars will start running with the Petrobras branding from the Spanish Grand Prix onwards.

Petrobras has not confirmed the reports in O Globo, and has said only that it is “in negotiations”, but sponsorship sources in the UK suggest that the deal is now done. Petrobras is understood to be on its way back into F1 after missing the 2009 season following the withdrawal of Honda, with whom it had agreed a deal which as never announced.

Prior to that, Petrobras was a partner of Williams for ten years from 1998 to 2008.

Over the winter, Lotus boss Tony Fernandes had hoped to land the €30 million Petronas sponsorship, which instead went to Mercedes GP as a title sponsorship. Petronas is the Malaysian oil company and Lotus is Malaysian-owned.

Petrobras is the 8th largest corporation in the world in terms of of market value at $164 billion.......

gloomyDAY
17th March 2010, 21:56
monay in da bank

monay in da bank

monay in da bank

I'm surprised Petronas didn't shove any money down Lotus' way. I understand they're contracted to Mercedes, but could have been nice to see a Malaysian oil company backing Tony and the gang. Petrobras it is!

Sonic
17th March 2010, 22:27
Zien baby, ZIEN! :D

F1boat
18th March 2010, 07:27
Good for Lotus!

Azumanga Davo
18th March 2010, 07:29
Well deserved, they had a decent showing in Bahrain and proved they have a reliable car at least. Petrobras shan't be disappointed.

Sonic
18th March 2010, 08:02
Petrobras shan't be disappointed.

No I don't suppose they will be. Lotus are generating an aweful lot of media interest considering the car is where it is on the grid.

I wonder if this extends to the Indy Car project too?

V12
18th March 2010, 10:03
Great news if true!

truefan72
18th March 2010, 16:38
No I don't suppose they will be. Lotus are generating an aweful lot of media interest considering the car is where it is on the grid.

Is that indycar project for real?
I only glanced at some headlines and didn't have the time (or inclination) to read on.

DazzlaF1
18th March 2010, 17:51
Great news if true!

Fantastic news, not only will it bring in much needed cash but also allow them to keep that gorgeous BRG livery :)

Jag_Warrior
18th March 2010, 19:36

Outside of some decals and paint, I'm not sure that there really is an Indy car project (I suspect it's about as "real" as the Minardi smoke & mirrors CCWS effort a few years back). But to your question, I'm not sure. I'm not 100% sure on what the Lotus F1 project is, to be honest.