PDA

View Full Version : New Site

Formula 409
16th March 2010, 19:14
Hi there, folks. I'm a long-time reader of a lot of motorsport forums, but this is my fist time actually posting here. I wanted to mention a site I put together:

http://savingopenweel.com

I've been a fan for a very long time and I wanted to put together a plan for making an open-wheel racing series that would work. It's a large site, and has a lot of text, but it's not preachy or long-wided. And I dropped in some pictures to break things up. Hopefully, people will find some good ideas in there and see that the future of OW isn't quite that doomed as it sometimes seems. Just doomed if nothing changes...

Thanks!

Mark in Oshawa
16th March 2010, 20:54
Didn't work Formula 409. I would look if I could...

Alfa Fan
16th March 2010, 21:54
http://www.savingopenwheel.com

And frankly its ******** of the finest order. Budget caps? don't work, minimise sponsorship? wtf, strong purse structure? where's this imaginary money coming from? Increase ticket prices? Yeah because far too many people are turning up atm! It's really proving to be price inelastic...not! The stuff like improve TV, well no ****, sherlock!

garyshell
17th March 2010, 04:32
Hi there, folks. I'm a long-time reader of a lot of motorsport forums, but this is my fist time actually posting here. I wanted to mention a site I put together:

http://savingopenweel.com

I've been a fan for a very long time and I wanted to put together a plan for making an open-wheel racing series that would work. It's a large site, and has a lot of text, but it's not preachy or long-wided. And I dropped in some pictures to break things up. Hopefully, people will find some good ideas in there and see that the future of OW isn't quite that doomed as it sometimes seems. Just doomed if nothing changes...

Thanks!

You have to be kidding right? I read the following quote from the Executive Summary and then closed Internet Explorer. I really didn't need to go any further. With that non starter, I couldn't take anything else seriously.

Utimately, all money for racing comes from fans, so by bypassing large corporations & sponsorships and directly asking our generally affluent fans for direct support through higher ticket prices, the series can be more stable.

Gary

Formula 409
17th March 2010, 11:51
Misspelled my own site. Brilliant.

http://savingopenwheel.com

mileman
17th March 2010, 14:27
What am I missing? So this form of OW appeals to affluent folks - and raising ticket prices is one of the ways to save it? ("...directly asking our generally affluent fans for direct support through higher ticket prices...")

It all has the sound of a "rah-rah" business management seminar. (I've been to too many.) It also does not seem to be grounded in the real world. The word naive keeps coming into my head.

Bring back the Offy!!! Ha!

Formula 409
17th March 2010, 21:37
The point is that ticket price is not a factor in a more widespread acceptance of open wheel racing. If you look at current prices, they are extremely low, and it's not helping attendance.

Is that naive? The larger issue is that you don't have big revenue from TV or sponsors anymore, and it's probably gone for good. So you have to get the money somewhere. If you can make a really compelling event that more people want to go to, then you can charge a fitting ticket price.

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2010, 22:56
The point is that ticket price is not a factor in a more widespread acceptance of open wheel racing. If you look at current prices, they are extremely low, and it's not helping attendance.

Is that naive? The larger issue is that you don't have big revenue from TV or sponsors anymore, and it's probably gone for good. So you have to get the money somewhere. If you can make a really compelling event that more people want to go to, then you can charge a fitting ticket price.

So what you are saying is LOW ticket prices just mean lower revenues and they are not helping the attendance. I disagree, not that your theory is completely invalid, but in that you are of course assuming those BUYING tickets will pay more. Danger Will Robinson...Danger. I think the price point of the IRL being lower than NASCAR is one of the GREAT selling points and taking more in a fit of profit taking will blow up on the league as attendance drops.

the Revenue's you get at the gate help the promotors more than the series; and the purses and how the teams get their money come from sponsors of the series, and the health of the league sponsors. Right now, the IRL has very little in the way of sponsorship that is paying much of the freight outside of IZOD. The teams need to get their sponsors, but the reality is the cars on the track have to provide the show.

I wont knock your website, for I don't see anything wrong with your goals, just on how we get there. Racing has to be healthier as a whole, and in the IRL in particular. The issues the IRL faces are the same ones ALMS is facing in a lot of areas, and what many series face. The IRL has fallen off the collective radar of too many fans....and THAT is the true problem.

SarahFan
17th March 2010, 23:22
rough crowd