PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Colombia this Thursday.

gloomyDAY
16th March 2010, 16:57
This will be my first time ever going to South America. I'll be down there all by my lonesome, which is usually the way I prefer to travel, and be staying at some hostels. My first stop will be Bogota before I head up to Medellin a few days later, then come back to Bogota to take my flight home.

Anyone ever been there before? Any tips?

In actuality, I'm going there for the Culombianas and to take a picture next to Pablo Escobar's grave. Those are really my only concrete plans. :cool:

edv
16th March 2010, 17:40
Do you speak Spanish?
I lived there about 20 years ago, so I can't really give you any current advice. You might want to PM 'race afficionado'
Memories that stand out for me include a bullfight and seeing the Millionarios take on Nacional in a soccer match. Also, the girls in Cali are probably the most appealing :)
For touristy stuff, the Tequendama Falls are pretty to see (at least when the water isn't diverted to the hydro station, LOL) and also Lake Guatavita (el dorado legend). I recall bringing back a lot of emeralds. They have some pretty exotic insects (encased in plexiglas) that make for interesting souvenirs.
Bring a sweater...it's 8,000 ft elevation.
Also, 'rodizio' style restaurants are a nice experience if you like meat. Even though they're Brazilian style, you don't see them much in N America.

gloomyDAY
16th March 2010, 18:18
Yes, I speak Spanish, so that's a pretty big advantage straight away.

I'm sure that things will go without a hitch, but I'm surprised that you lived there 20 years ago. Perilous time to be in Colombia, but thankfully things have mellowed out since then.

Thanks for the advice!