PDA

View Full Version : People are weird (Beckham worship)

Eki
16th March 2010, 06:16
David Beckham is having his foot operated in Finland. They showed on the news his arrival in Finland. There were crowds of people trying to get a glimpse of him like he was some kind of pop star. People are weird.

To come to think of it, it's probably equally weird to start a thread about it.

Easy Drifter
16th March 2010, 06:43
For once I agree with you. :D

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 07:24
I also wonder why people behave like that. Is it the modern equivalent of spotting a large beast?

Mmm, I hear footballer is good with roast potatoes. ;)

Or do people confuse celebrities with deities, trying to have as much contact with them as possible, thinking it'll somehow improve their lives? I mean, what's the point of asking a sportsman for his signature, for example?

Donney
16th March 2010, 07:30
Coming to think about the first post, I don't understand either why people cheer pop-stars at airports... It is equally as silly...

harsha
16th March 2010, 08:21
Coming to think about the first post, I don't understand either why people cheer pop-stars at airports... It is equally as silly...

yeah , metal stars are different ;)

UP THE ****IN IRONS \m/

grouped out there when Iron Maiden came to Bangalore in 2007 :D

Daniel
16th March 2010, 08:49
I also wonder why people behave like that. Is it the modern equivalent of spotting a large beast?

Mmm, I hear footballer is good with roast potatoes. ;)

Or do people confuse celebrities with deities, trying to have as much contact with them as possible, thinking it'll somehow improve their lives? I mean, what's the point of asking a sportsman for his signature, for example?
Rather :mark:

I went to see John Travolta @ Perth airport a few years ago but tbh I didn't go there to see him, I went there to see his lovely 707 that he was flying in :)

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 09:00
Rather :mark:

Rather what? Do you have a reasoning for the signature thing? You've done it a lot too, haven't you? What manner of sacred pact did you have your heroes sign? :p :

I'm not judging btw. Just fishing. :D

Daniel
16th March 2010, 09:05
Rather what? Do you have a reasoning for the signature thing? You've done it a lot too, haven't you? What manner of sacred pact did you have your heroes sign? :p :

I'm not judging btw. Just fishing. :D
I'm agreeing with you :p

I've had stuff signed. I've had some photos that i've taken signed by Seb and his co-driver, Markko and Beef (RIP :( ), Petter and Phil Mills and Marcus and Timo. I also have a Rally NZ t-shirt signed by all the priority 1 drivers @ Rally Australia in 2001 plus a few other drivers and co-drivers. I once got Chris Atkinson to sign a poster just so I could have a chat with him :p Other than that I don't see the point in just getting signatures on stuff.

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 09:12
I'm agreeing with you :p :

Ah. I thought you were just calling it the patronizing BS that it was. :D

It is a little weird, though. Hard to explain. I guess Eki is right and the human animal is an irrational beast. :)

Or is it?? :devil:

Daniel
16th March 2010, 09:18
Ah. I thought you were just calling it the patronizing BS that it was. :D

It is a little weird, though. Hard to explain. I guess Eki is right and the human animal is an irrational beast. :)

:D

We are animals though.

Personally I've never seen the fuss with celebrities. They're just people at the end of it all and tbh I'd rather be there just observing things than getting involved :)

Mark
16th March 2010, 09:22
We are animals though.

Personally I've never seen the fuss with celebrities. They're just people at the end of it all and tbh I'd rather be there just observing things than getting involved :)

I was at Knockhill when Colin McRae was there. He was signing autographs and getting pictures taken with people. I didn't want to go up to him but just as he was looking to leave I did go and get my picture taken with him.. less than 2 weeks later he died :(

Rudy Tamasz
16th March 2010, 10:31
Celebrity attracts, that's a fact. Normally the whole celebrity fuss makes me wanna throw up, but when I spotted Mick Jagger next to me in the crowd, I immediately tried to take his autograph.

Daniel
16th March 2010, 10:38
I was at Knockhill when Colin McRae was there. He was signing autographs and getting pictures taken with people. I didn't want to go up to him but just as he was looking to leave I did go and get my picture taken with him.. less than 2 weeks later he died :(
Sure, but all you'd have now is a photo. You have the memory. Treasure it :)

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 10:38

Well, I guess a photo like that can be a reminder of fun times. (And in this tragic case, the person too...) A signature too, come to think of it. If, like Daniel, you're a rally fan and have been following the whole thing for a while. Quite rational, actually.

Yes, I've seen the light and understand, praise the Lord. :p :

Other than that I don't see the point in just getting signatures on stuff.

Yeah. Actually the whole collecting thing is a bit of a mystery to me. Why collect things you will never need? Again, I'm not judging, as I've done it too and got enjoyment from having (almost) whole sets of various things. Don't know why, though. It's gotta be some ancient human thought pattern that's slightly mutated, no? "My cave is now full of roots, berries and meat. I'm all set for the winter." Used to make sense and serve a purpose, but doesn't anymore.

Eki
16th March 2010, 11:07

My cat would never go see David Beckham. She's too busy napping and eating.

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 11:13
My cat would never go see David Beckham. She's too busy napping and eating.

I bet she'd go see a famous tiger though. :p :

BeansBeansBeans
16th March 2010, 11:14
I've met Wayne Rooney. What struck me was how normal he was. It made me realise that (cue flasbulbs) "WAYNE ROONEY!" is just a media creation that bears little relation to the young, normal, scouse lad I was talking to.

I kept him away from my granny mind.

Mark
16th March 2010, 11:36
I've met Wayne Rooney. What struck me was how normal he was. It made me realise that (cue flasbulbs) "WAYNE ROONEY!" is just a media creation that bears little relation to the young, normal, scouse lad I was talking to.

I kept him away from my granny mind.

I think footballers certainly, tend to come from much more 'normal' backgrounds than your average F1 driver.

Eki
16th March 2010, 11:58
I bet she'd go see a famous tiger though. :p :
I don't know, but she likes to watch nature programs on TV, especially if there are birds or other small animals.

Daniel
16th March 2010, 12:03
Yeah. Actually the whole collecting thing is a bit of a mystery to me. Why collect things you will never need? Again, I'm not judging, as I've done it too and got enjoyment from having (almost) whole sets of various things. Don't know why, though. It's gotta be some ancient human thought pattern that's slightly mutated, no? "My cave is now full of roots, berries and meat. I'm all set for the winter." Used to make sense and serve a purpose, but doesn't anymore.

I know what you mean. If I collect something I will generally want to display it or use it. My dad on the other hand has loads of model cars which sit in boxes :mark: I quite like collecting interesting technology though like old stuff that everyone had or used but that has gone in the bin now.

Garry Walker
16th March 2010, 12:14
David Beckham is having his foot operated in Finland. They showed on the news his arrival in Finland. There were crowds of people trying to get a glimpse of him like he was some kind of pop star. People are weird.

I guess some people just have no lives.
Never been interested in meeting any "celebrity" or asking for their autograph, those things matter to me about as little as possible. What would I do with that piece of paper? Wipe my ass?

Daniel
16th March 2010, 12:18
I guess some people just have no lives.
Never been interested in meeting any "celebrity" or asking for their autograph, those things matter to me about as little as possible. What would I do with that piece of paper? Wipe my ass?
What if it was a signed photo that you'd taken?

Here are some photos I took which were blown up to 20*30" and then signed :)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Photos/Marcus.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Photos/Petter.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Photos/Sebastien.JPG

I love your signature btw Garry :up:

Garry Walker
16th March 2010, 12:26
What if it was a signed photo that you'd taken?

Here are some photos I took which were blown up to 20*30" and then signed :)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Photos/Marcus.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Photos/Petter.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Photos/Sebastien.JPG

These are very nice photos (especially considering you have taken them yourself), but honestly, I just dont see the point in getting them autographed. I much prefer them the way they are, without any "crap" on them. But that is just my view.

Out of curiosity, what camera did you use to take those pics?

I love your signature btw Garry :up:

Daniel
16th March 2010, 12:36
These are very nice photos (especially considering you have taken them yourself), but honestly, I just dont see the point in getting them autographed. I much prefer them the way they are, without any "crap" on them. But that is just my view.

Out of curiosity, what camera did you use to take those pics?

It's only a D70s which is now a pretty old digital SLR and has been superceded a number of times over. But it's still better than all of the compact cameras I've seen.

Fair enough re: the signatures. At least with the photos being my own I could get the printed out again without the sigs. I also like the fact that those photos are the only ones in the world that are like that. The idea of having something like a Ferrari hat signed by Schumacher just makes me go meh because how many thousands upon thousands of them must there be?

I see you share the same healthy lack of respect for our rather wordy Button fan and I like that :D

Mark
16th March 2010, 13:10
Wor Karen went to see 'The Hairy Bikers' live the other day. And she bought of a copy of their book, but it was 'pre-signed'. Now I see even less point in that.
You would at least expect them to sign it in front of you with something like "To Karen, Best Wishes" etc.. But pre-signed stuff is completely impersonal and might as well not exist IMO.

turves
16th March 2010, 13:11

Same with Beckham though. i met him a few years ago when England were playing Mexico in Derby. WSB was at Donington at the same time and I was doing some stuff for Riders for Health at a Hotel/Golf complex where the England team were staying. I was taking photo's of the WSB riders playing golf, Beckham came upto me, asked if i worked for the Sun, when I said no he chatted to me for about 10 minutes. very down to earth, but at the same time, a little surreal!

Daniel
16th March 2010, 13:12
Wor Karen went to see 'The Hairy Bikers' live the other day. And she bought of a copy of their book, but it was 'pre-signed'. Now I see even less point in that.
You would at least expect them to sign it in front of you with something like "To Karen, Best Wishes" etc.. But pre-signed stuff is completely impersonal and might as well not exist IMO.
I have to say that I find the Dear person best wishes type autographs even less interesting than normal ones :p As long as she didn't pay more than what the book's worth it's all good :p

Mark
16th March 2010, 13:15
I have to say that I find the Dear person best wishes type autographs even less interesting than normal ones :p As long as she didn't pay more than what the book's worth it's all good :p

LOL. No of course not :)

turves
16th March 2010, 13:16
Fair enough re: the signatures. At least with the photos being my own I could get the printed out again without the sigs. I also like the fact that those photos are the only ones in the world that are like that. The idea of having something like a Ferrari hat signed by Schumacher just makes me go meh because how many thousands upon thousands of them must there be?

Totally agree, I think it's the fact you are the only person to own that photograph anywhere in the World, and personalising it makes it more valuable (not necessarily in financial terms)

Rollo
16th March 2010, 19:20
I wonder how Beckham worship compares with Sachin Tendulkar worship in India. I don't ever recall seeing any roadside Beckham shrines, and nor do I recall seeing Beckham superhero comics:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/6462199.stm

Lousada
16th March 2010, 19:47

A signed book cannot be returned to the publisher. The pre-signed books are not yet sold by the shop but as they can't be returned the author still gets his money. That's why authors are happy to do book-signing sessions in shops and obscure events.

Mark in Oshawa
16th March 2010, 21:27
I like the idea of meeting famous people only so far as I can find out they don't disappoint as people. I have met a few NHL guys but hockey players are usually down to earth. I havne't met Gretzky or anyone superfamous in that sport, but at the Molson Indy, only a few people have made me stop and consider getting something signed, and I never did in each case. Al Unser Jr. I met in the loo...so you know stars do go where the rest of us do at least for THAT. Watching people ambush him right outside the bathroom entrance had me chuckling to him " Al, at least they let you zip up first!". He laughed at that.

I also was in Paul Newman's way when Da Matta won and a bunch of us were on the track. I said NOTHING...but Paul Newman is one of the few actors I have ANY time for....and I regret I couldn't have been in a pic with him. A friend of mine sat with him once watching the action at the end of pit lane and said he was a great guy.

My best memory from all those races was talking racing with AJ Foyt. I caught him for an autograph and we talked for 5 minutes.....

He is a cantererous old coot but he is a character and if you meet him at the right time, then you are in for a treat.

As for Beckham....well I would love to talk to him. I don't follow "football" but I admire the guy's style of play from what I have seen....but I cant grasp why the fuss was made about him.