PDA

View Full Version : Donkey of the Race - Bahrain 2010

woody2goody
15th March 2010, 03:15
It's a difficult one, but I think Sutil is probably the one for hitting Kubica and ruining both their races.

Also Chandhok for crashing after 2 laps, which is not what you want to do when your team need mileage under their belt.

CNR
15th March 2010, 04:28
Also Chandhok for crashing after 2 laps, which is not what you want to do when your team need mileage under their belt.

to be fair how is he to know the track with so few laps

Rollo
15th March 2010, 05:05
I think that the donkey of the race is... Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir.

The organisers ran the Endurance Circuit configuration, when combined with the heavier and therefore less mobile cars, produced a more boring race than what was needed.
If they'd decided to run the Grand Prix layout or the Outer Circuit, they would have probably produced a better race.

Sutil's accident isn't exactly all his fault, I mean you can hardly blame him for hitting something he can't even see because Webber's car followed through on a giant fart.

Chandok did look... a bit silly.

Big Ben
15th March 2010, 06:29
Webber for me. While his team mate was dominating the race he was nowhere. Or should we blame this too on bad luck again?

Jag_Warrior
15th March 2010, 06:50
I think that the donkey of the race is... Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir.

^^^This^^^

truefan72
15th March 2010, 07:18
Nothing really was going on in the boring race to even consider donkey's.

Langdale Forest
15th March 2010, 07:20
Chandok was the http://littlegreenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/shrek-the-donkey-eddie-murphy-is-a-genius.jpg of the race, although the circit was very boring.

Dzeidzei
15th March 2010, 07:25
Chandok was the http://littlegreenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/shrek-the-donkey-eddie-murphy-is-a-genius.jpg of the race, although the circit was very boring.

My vote goes for FIA, again. The refuel ban makes the races even more boring, which in itself is a huge achievement.

Langdale Forest
15th March 2010, 07:26
But the refuelling ban would really be for the donkey of 2010 awards, not the 'Donkey of the Bahrain GP'.

Dzeidzei
15th March 2010, 07:31
But the refuelling ban would really be for the donkey of 2010 awards, not the 'Donkey of the Bahrain GP'.

Thats true. Hopefully Bridgestone produces tyre options that really differ dramatically. Thats the only hope we´ve got.

Langdale Forest
15th March 2010, 07:31
You could always complain to the FIA, which I guess alot of people will do.

Daniel
15th March 2010, 07:41
The circuit

Sulland
15th March 2010, 08:20
Is this track made by Tilke, if so Tilke was the guy with long ears !! :D

ShiftingGears
15th March 2010, 08:53
Webber for me. While his team mate was dominating the race he was nowhere. Or should we blame this too on bad luck again?

Webber was easily donkey of qualifying. Messed it up twice on the hot lap. And since there is no refuelling to jump in front of slower cars...

My vote goes to the FIA.

Dave B
15th March 2010, 09:14

The organisers ran the Endurance Circuit configuration, when combined with the heavier and therefore less mobile cars, produced a more boring race than what was needed.
Totally agreed. :up:

Chandok did look... a bit silly.
I'll defend him here: the poor sod's car was a bag of bolts on Saturday morning, and he did well to even be in the race. He got caught out by a bump which (a) shouldn't have been there and (b) everybody else got used to in the three practice sessions which he missed.

Daniel
15th March 2010, 09:19

You're the flipping donkey. I'd love to see you get your first drive in F1 during a QUALIFYING session and then have to learn in what was a pretty terrible car during a race.

Dr. Krogshöj
15th March 2010, 09:20
What happened to Chandhok in the first place? I missed the replay. Anyway, I give him a break. He shook off a new F1 car in a Q1, for god's sake, and didn't ruin anyone's lap.

As for the donkey of the race, I don't think anyone performed particularly poorly. Webber's and Button's day was ruined on Saturday.

ShiftingGears
15th March 2010, 09:24
What happened to Chandhok in the first place? I missed the replay. Anyway, I give him a break. He shook off a new F1 car in a Q1, for god's sake, and didn't ruin anyone's lap.

He hit the bump which he didn't know was there, because it was about his 5th lap in the car, and the circuit configuration. And then binned it.

No way is he the donkey. A race is no place to start to learn about the car and the circuit.

turismo6
15th March 2010, 10:42
no P1 no P2 no P3 just a run in Q1 i don't know how any can blame Chandhok.

K-Pu
15th March 2010, 12:30
The track-refuelling combo has been lethal this weekend. All in all, the Donkey of the Race is the track itself.

With an special mention for De la Rosa´s grid girl, who puked on the grid and triggered one of the most funny/disgusting (as you prefer) comments in Spanish F1 broadcasting:

"They have to clean that, Pedro´s gonna lose a lot of grip running over that!"

Dzeidzei
15th March 2010, 13:02
The track-refuelling combo has been lethal this weekend. All in all, the Donkey of the Race is the track itself.

With an special mention for De la Rosa´s grid girl, who puked on the grid and triggered one of the most funny/disgusting (as you prefer) comments in Spanish F1 broadcasting:

Do you know why she puked? Didnt she like the hairy Spaniard :)

Azumanga Davo
15th March 2010, 13:27
Lee Mackenzie (or however you spell it) of the BBC pitlane team for asking the same bloody question over and over during the race in that uninterested tone of hers. Louise Goodman may have had her faults in the last ITV years, but at least she made the interview a bit more interesting.

longisland
15th March 2010, 13:28
In Sutil's defense, the replay showed it was Kubica who went offline avoiding Webber's plume of smoke and tagged Sutil in the process. The Donkey of the event is definitely FIA for allowing Hispania GP to run a shake down session in a race. Haven't they learnt anything from Massa's accident last year?

Daniel
15th March 2010, 13:36
Lee Mackenzie (or however you spell it) of the BBC pitlane team for asking the same bloody question over and over during the race in that uninterested tone of hers. Louise Goodman may have had her faults in the last ITV years, but at least she made the interview a bit more interesting.
I disagree. Louise seemed to take an almost pervese interest in the whole danger aspect of F1 and you can imagine her shoving a microphone in Felipe's face last year after he'd just taken a helmet full of spring asking him how he felt when staring possible death in the face.

Sure Lee McKenzie isn't that great but Louise Goodman was so bad you could almost feel the contempt the drivers had for her and you could certainly hear it in their answers to her.

Pulidor
15th March 2010, 13:54
I'm gonna try to find out who's the donkey of the season given some really simple rules.
You can find out here: http://www.f1fools.com
It's a really small project I wanted to develop and share with you guys. As you see, both the idea and the execution are extremelly simple and direct.
Karun Chandhok takes the lead right now ;)

maximilian
15th March 2010, 14:10
to be fair how is he to know the track with so few laps
Nope, sorry. Karun screwed this one up badly. As much as I liked his performance in Qualifying, being less than 2 seconds off the pace in just 7 installation laps, this was a really bad mistake he should have avoided at all cost.

It's no argument to say he could not have known the bump was there. The whole point of driving on a circuit is, you FIND OUT how it lays out and where the limits are. To crash a car the team has been working SO hard to put together to even get to RUN, and then to lose all that mileage they desperately needed to accrue during the race is a major mistake.

No doubt he feels terrible about it, too. But it clearly makes him the Donkey. ;)

V12
15th March 2010, 14:15
The FIA's tyre regulations get my vote.

maximilian
15th March 2010, 14:35
Do you know why she puked? Didnt she like the hairy Spaniard :)
She probably just realized he was twice her age... ;)

Dr. Krogshöj
15th March 2010, 14:40

Did anyone catch when she asked Jean Alesi during Friday practice if he was in Bahrain to take part in the WDC meeting? She realized the mistake before she finished the question but poor old Jean sounded a bit emberassed.

maximilian
15th March 2010, 14:44
Did anyone catch when she asked Jean Alesi during Friday practice if he was in Bahrain to take part in the WDC meeting? She realized the mistake before she finished the question but poor old Jean sounded a bit emberassed.
He should have been FLATTERED! :D

Dave B
15th March 2010, 16:13
In fairness to Lee McKenzie (that's how you spell it ;) ), it was Holly Samos who made that blunder.

Azumanga Davo
15th March 2010, 16:25
I disagree. Louise seemed to take an almost pervese interest in the whole danger aspect of F1 and you can imagine her shoving a microphone in Felipe's face last year after he'd just taken a helmet full of spring asking him how he felt when staring possible death in the face.

Sure Lee McKenzie isn't that great but Louise Goodman was so bad you could almost feel the contempt the drivers had for her and you could certainly hear it in their answers to her.

When Louise first started with the ITV broadcast, she was good. But I admit she became a joke later on though.

truefan72
15th March 2010, 16:32

eeeew!

did not need to read that!

explains the sauber performance for both cars as Kobayashi was behind pedro on the grid and probably got affected as well. nasty!

truefan72
15th March 2010, 16:40
forgot:
Honorable donkey to the FIA live timing which was malfunctioning all weekend
and the world feed scoring graphics all weekend which seem to have taken a step back in both the looks and functionality. What happened to the cool knockout vertical graphic during qualifying of the past years. and the staggered position graphic was also more impractical

Daniel
15th March 2010, 16:42
When Louise first started with the ITV broadcast, she was good. But I admit she became a joke later on though.
As always performance should be analysed year on year and new blood should be brough in if needed. If as Leggard is doing now, you underperform then away you go

Dave B
15th March 2010, 16:57
forgot:
Honorable donkey to the FIA live timing which was malfunctioning all weekend

That was a royal cock-up, wasn't it? They neglected to tell users that re-registration was necessary after the site update, then the whole thing was flaky with lots of errors both in connection and formatting.

...and the world feed scoring graphics all weekend which seem to have taken a step back in both the looks and functionality. What happened to the cool knockout vertical graphic during qualifying of the past years. and the staggered position graphic was also more impractical
The font was a big improvement, and the white-on-black text was clear as a bell. However, the stupid sloping backgrounds looks awful, especially when the top 8 were staggered making the gaps harder to read straight down the column.

My personal bugbear is the tower of positions which appears down the left hand side - it's pushed right into the action for fear of alienating the handful of people who still watch on a 4:3 screen. Push it out of the safe area and they'd probably never know it was missing, while the rest of us get to see what's going on.

K-Pu
15th March 2010, 17:03
I'm gonna try to find out who's the donkey of the season given some really simple rules.
You can find out here: http://www.f1fools.com
It's a really small project I wanted to develop and share with you guys. As you see, both the idea and the execution are extremelly simple and direct.
Karun Chandhok takes the lead right now ;)

Great!

K-Pu
15th March 2010, 17:12
And BTW, the "official" reason for the "unfortunate grid girl incident" was the heat and, according to some enlightened dudes, excessive and unnecessary clothing :D .

Now seriously, being there with that scorching sun hitting you in the back of your head for a while is anything but nice.

ioan
15th March 2010, 17:51
My vote goes for FIA, again. The refuel ban makes the races even more boring, which in itself is a huge achievement.

Fully agree! With such idiotic rules it's difficult to have entertaining races.
Luckily I don't watch the races for the overtaking entertainment.

ioan
15th March 2010, 17:57
no P1 no P2 no P3 just a run in Q1 i don't know how any can blame Chandhok.

Just wait and see, some people can post amazing things! ;)

jens
15th March 2010, 18:21
Chandhok is a good choice, although he was thrown into a worse situation I can remember any rookie being.

Langdale Forest
15th March 2010, 18:22
It's just a shame that he crashed two laps into his first F1 race.

Shifter
15th March 2010, 18:59
Another vote for the circuit here. The previous layout had 3 slow corners, a couple left/right sweepers, and some nice long straights. I honestly feel the 'show' would have been better without the superlong lap and all those disruptive slow corners. Now that's not to say every circuit should resemble Monza, however the large compromises neccesitated by the new section, along with the heat and conditions in the desert had everyone working their car instead of their competition. By way of comparason, the Hungaroring is tight too, but the whole place is a bullring run in moderate conditions with weather considerations in the setups, and has produced some fun races over the last few years.

Pulidor
15th March 2010, 20:35

lol! I heard that! :D
What I found interesting was the fact that it was the Spanish equivalent to Lee McKenzie (Nira Juanco) who pointed that out in a somewhat humiliating way. Aaaah.... girls! Probably the grid girl was hotter! (in all senses :p :)

truefan72
15th March 2010, 20:50
That was a royal cock-up, wasn't it? They neglected to tell users that re-registration was necessary after the site update, then the whole thing was flaky with lots of errors both in connection and formatting.

I know! I spent a good half hour trying to figure out why my password was not working and even sent the " forgot my password" email only for the replacement to not work either. Then the next day I simply registred again and it worked..somwhat

However, the stupid sloping backgrounds looks awful, especially when the top 8 were staggered making the gaps harder to read straight down the column.
yep

My personal bugbear is the tower of positions which appears down the left hand side - it's pushed right into the action for fear of alienating the handful of people who still watch on a 4:3 screen. Push it out of the safe area and they'd probably never know it was missing, while the rest of us get to see what's going on.
lol, yes it will be another 2-3 years before we see exclusive 16:9 formatted graphics. I guess large parts of the world still watch F1 on 4:3 TV's and it's better to be safe than sorry.

truefan72
15th March 2010, 20:52
And BTW, the "official" reason for the "unfortunate grid girl incident" was the heat and, according to some enlightened dudes, excessive and unnecessary clothing :D .

Now seriously, being there with that scorching sun hitting you in the back of your head for a while is anything but nice.

I thought grid girls go through extensive pre-season training and FIA sanctioned testing :hmph:

gloomyDAY
15th March 2010, 23:19
Felipe. He needs to stop rolling over for Alonso!

Why didn't Felipe race Alonso as he did Hamilton for position?
First GP and I'm already sensing who is the big hen in the Ferrari garage.

CNR
15th March 2010, 23:21
Bernie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1258164/Blame-teams-bore-Bahrain-F1-supremo-Bernie-Ecclestone-begs-real-racing.html

Bernie Ecclestone had the right idea. Fifty minutes into Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix, he took leave of his own show to catch the private jet home.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1258164/Blame-teams-bore-Bahrain-F1-supremo-Bernie-Ecclestone-begs-real-racing.html#ixzz0iI2O5Um8 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1258164/Blame-teams-bore-Bahrain-F1-supremo-Bernie-Ecclestone-begs-real-racing.html#ixzz0iI2O5Um8)

gloomyDAY
15th March 2010, 23:36
Bernie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1258164/Blame-teams-bore-Bahrain-F1-supremo-Bernie-Ecclestone-begs-real-racing.htmlMust have been bored.

F1boat
16th March 2010, 06:23
Bernie has no passion for F1. It's only business for him now.

Ari
16th March 2010, 07:12
He hit the bump which he didn't know was there, because it was about his 5th lap in the car, and the circuit configuration. And then binned it.

No way is he the donkey. A race is no place to start to learn about the car and the circuit.

Agree entirely....

Ari
16th March 2010, 07:13

Yep!

For me is a mixture of new rules, crap track and Webber.

Webber was out there in what was arguably the quickest car and stuffed quali then went backwards in the race.