PDA

View Full Version : I'm sort of sad about this, but at the same time, rather happy: NHRA Champion, Angelle Sampey, Retires

Jag_Warrior
15th March 2010, 02:24
Since there's not a drag racing section on here, I wasn't sure where to post this. So this seemed as good a spot as any.

One of the most professional, most personable and most talented racers in the world has decided to hang up her helmet. I'm rather sad about that, as she's the main reason I began following drag racing again. But I'm also happy, because she's leaving racing to get married and do what she's delayed doing for awhile: start a family (the most important thing a person can do while on this planet, IMO).

I first met her at the track after Winston pulled out of sponsoring her team. A company I was familiar with had signed on. But they stiffed the team on the sponsorship - and it put them in a hard spot. They soldiered on, but the stability that had once been with them never really returned. Anyone else would have been livid... ranting, raving, cussing, etc. But she wasn't like that. She may not have something nice to say about someone, but it became clear to me that it was hard to get her to say anything REALLY negative about someone (even an ex-husband who apparently used to rough her up). Even when Angelle was knocking down the competition and couldn't get a sponsor, and a (then) winless hack like Danica Patrick had sponsors crawling all over her just because she'd flash her goods for the camera, Angelle didn't let the green monster of jealousy get the better of her. She is not a fan of Ms. Patrick. But Angelle maintained that the only person whose future she could, or wanted to influence, was her own. Unlike some people, when bad luck or misfortune visited Angelle, the only person I ever heard her criticize was herself. She tried to figure out how SHE could do better next time. :up:

For once, I can point to a professional athlete and say that I wish I could be a little more like them... as a human being. To a class act, and one of the best of the very best: Angelle Sampey.
Long may you run. :wave:

NHRA motorcycle racer Angelle Sampey of Louisiana retires (http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/03/nhra_motorcycle_racer_angelle.html)

http://media.nola.com/sports_impact/photo/angelle-sampey-countdown-hat-300jpg-e03550d0bd1351d3_medium.jpg

Angelle Sampey, who is the winningest female in professional motorsports history, has announced her retirement as a professional drag racer.

Sampey, who had 41 victories during a 13-year NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle career, said she's planning to pursue other career opportunities while looking to start a family with her fiancee, Seth Drago.

"I will take away so many great memories from racing," she said. "I'm certainly going to miss being around my fellow racers and, of course, the fans. I really enjoyed meeting the fans at every race. They were always there for me through the good times and the bad times."

Well there weren't many times since that start. In fact, she captured three world championships and banked 18 wins between 2000 and 2002.

Azumanga Davo
15th March 2010, 13:23
I didn't even realise she was still around, been a while since I watched an NHRA telecast.

Still, a great career and always a threat on race day. Will be much missed.

Mark in Oshawa
15th March 2010, 21:40
Jag, she has always been a class act, and although I don't watch a lot of drag racing, it is sad to see her gone, but hey, starting a family is a responsability that she is taking seriously. If only other people took such task seriously.