PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to learn how to do?

Daniel
7th December 2006, 23:08
Is there anything you've decided that you want to learn how to do?

I've seen a few people on a local beach doing a bit of land kiting and I''ve been thinking for a little while that I wouldn't mind doing that so I think when spring comes I might go and take some lessons and if I like it invest in some equipment :D

Seems like good fun and I've always liked flying.

Here's a vid. Apologies in advance for the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-DbBg8G-74

Is there anything you'd like to learn how to do? :)

BDunnell
7th December 2006, 23:11
Speak German well and confidently enough again to get a job there and move there.

Sleeper
7th December 2006, 23:16
To play bass at a classically trained level.

Tomi
7th December 2006, 23:30
Is there anything you've decided that you want to learn how to do?

I've seen a few people on a local beach doing a bit of land kiting and I''ve been thinking for a little while that I wouldn't mind doing that so I think when spring comes I might go and take some lessons and if I like it invest in some equipment :D

Seems like good fun and I've always liked flying.

Here's a vid. Apologies in advance for the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-DbBg8G-74

Is there anything you'd like to learn how to do? :)

Good idea, if you learn that well you might end up as Subaru worksdriver. :)

Daniel
7th December 2006, 23:33
Good idea, if you learn that well you might end up as Subaru worksdriver. :)
That was my intention :up: You don't need to have skill to be 3rd driver in the WRC these days :cheese: :laugh:

viper_man
7th December 2006, 23:35
Did some land kite surfing this summer on a little trike go kart thing. Amazing.

For me it would probably be free running, or parkour, to the standard of the best guys doing it now.

Daniel
7th December 2006, 23:37
Did some land kite surfing this summer on a little trike go kart thing. Amazing.

For me it would probably be free running, or parkour, to the standard of the best guys doing it now.
That's what the people do on the beach near me. But for some reason doing it out on the water just seems like a bit more fun. How easy was it to pick up?

viper_man
7th December 2006, 23:40
Well they had fully qualified instructors as weve just had a big X Sports place built near the beach so got a few lessons and away we went. It was quite difficult, I thought itd just be hanging on and blasting down the beach, but you have to play about with the kite constantly to keep a steady speed all the while adjusting your body so the thing didnt tip over. The worst part was stopping, that was scary.

BeansBeansBeans
7th December 2006, 23:45
I'd like to learn how to play the drums to a high standard, and learn how to drive a racing car.

AndySpeed
7th December 2006, 23:45
One of my intentions is to get more serious about kayaking, and to gain some more stars and compete in more competitions. I'm currently a member of my local canoe club (which is flat water) and the one at Lancaster university (which is white water). However flat water is my preferred choice and I hope to start training more seriously with aim to racing in the next few coming years.

Rollo
7th December 2006, 23:54
Swimming?
I currently can't :(

Daniel
7th December 2006, 23:55
Swimming?
I currently can't :(
Come here. I'm going to try and teach Caroline. Perhaps I could teach both of you at the same time :p

Ian McC
7th December 2006, 23:57
Good thread this Daniel

Would like to be able to speak French, then those five years of doing it in school would not of been wasted

BeansBeansBeans
8th December 2006, 00:06
Would like to be able to speak French, then those five years of doing it in school would not of been wasted

Obtenir de votre popotin et le fait alors :p :

Rollo
8th December 2006, 00:36
Que le fait-il que signifie? Vous avez le l'esprit de l'escalier et il ne fait pas le sens.

jso1985
8th December 2006, 00:37
I'd like to learn how to play the guitar or the drums.

And how to park a car :erm:

Hawkmoon
8th December 2006, 01:05
I've always wanted to be able to draw. I don't want to be an artist, just to be able to draw at a comic book-type level.

Unfortunately my 5 year old son can draw better than I can. :(

grassrootsracer
8th December 2006, 01:38
Carpentry
Blacksmithing and metal working
Learn to fly/pilot's license
Learn to race cars/racing license
Fluently speak Italian and German

DocF225
8th December 2006, 03:39
Weld.

555-04Q2
8th December 2006, 05:54
I would love to learn how to play the guitar

Storm
8th December 2006, 08:34
I would love to play the guitar really well and perhaps try and compose something (for my own satisfaction)....I do have a guitar and try to play it (and learn on my own) but its a slow process hampered by the daily boring routines. Also would like to learn Spanish well enough so I am able to converse in and visit some parts of the Spanish speak world.

Mark
8th December 2006, 09:17
It's one of my ambitions to be able to speak / understand French, but it's probably one of those things I'll never actually do.

Donney
8th December 2006, 09:26
There are plenty of things I'd like to learn:

Easy/affordable things:

Play guitar
Draw, es Hawkmoon said
Learn other languages

Hard/not affordable:

Driving a rally car, or any other racing variety but especially rallying
Fly a plane

Those are the main ones but I can think of many more.

LotusElise
8th December 2006, 09:28
I'd love to be able to climb properly - I might try and learn next year if there is a climbing club at my new university.
I'd also like to be able to dance and to play the piano.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th December 2006, 09:29
Nothing!!

I can do everything. :D

Dave B
8th December 2006, 10:03
For me, it's not so much what I'd want to learn, but what I which I'd never forgotten.

I've got A-Level French and Grade 8 piano (which in theory means I can play the greatest hits of Charles Aznavour), and yet through lack of practice I'm currently rubbish at both.

I wish I'd kept practicing the piano, I used to play for two hours a day before I discovered alcohol and women; and I wish that I'd tried harder at parlezing the old Français on the booze cruises.

Regrets, I've had a few.... :p

555-04Q2
8th December 2006, 10:09
Nothing!!

I can do everything. :D

Except spell your name right mate :laugh: ;)

555-04Q2
8th December 2006, 10:12
Regrets, I've had a few.... :p

I've has Sandras, Melanies, Tracys, Michelles, Barbaras, Alices but never a Regret ;) :D

slinkster
8th December 2006, 11:00
Learn to play drums... I'd love it... or be much better at guitar than I am.

I get impatient though. I'd rather not have to learn and just wake up one day being able to play! :D

Erki
8th December 2006, 11:04
Everything.

555-04Q2
8th December 2006, 11:05
Learn to play drums... I'd love it... or be much better at guitar than I am.

I get impatient though. I'd rather not have to learn and just wake up one day being able to play! :D

I can play the drums, quite well infact, but I cant play the guitar :(

CarlMetro
8th December 2006, 12:20
I've always wanted to play the drums. I nearly brought a 2nd hand drumkit from the local rag after talking to my Dad's ex drummer. He said the best way to start is to sit behind a set and get the feel of the drums, then take a few lessons. Sadly the suggestion didn't go down too well with the wife :s

555-04Q2
8th December 2006, 12:30
The problem with drums Carl is unless you have a soundproof room, neither the wife nor neighbours will approve. Thats when you pull your rockstar move and tell them you dont give a #@$% :p :

Daniel
8th December 2006, 12:41
I've always wanted to play the drums. I nearly brought a 2nd hand drumkit from the local rag after talking to my Dad's ex drummer. He said the best way to start is to sit behind a set and get the feel of the drums, then take a few lessons. Sadly the suggestion didn't go down too well with the wife :s
I'm sure the son would like it too :p

Robinho
8th December 2006, 14:29
i can play the guitar a bit, i'd like to be better, i'm a purple belt at Karate, i'd like to be better, i can manage a little French and Spanish, i'd like to be better.

i had an itch to scratch for learning so i went back to Uni to learn what my job is so i do that one day a week.

i'd like to learn to play golf.

i think that will do for next years resolutions!! ;)

i'd love to learn how to make enough money to go racing/rallying

555-04Q2
8th December 2006, 14:39
i'd like to learn to play golf.

You dont learn how to play golf. You learn to chase a little white ball from trees, to bush, to bunkers, to water all the while cursing yourself for being such a useless ^%$#* ;)

Robinho
8th December 2006, 14:50
You dont learn how to play golf. You learn to chase a little white ball from trees, to bush, to bunkers, to water all the while cursing yourself for being such a useless ^%$#* ;)

in which case i am more highly skilled than i gave myself credit for! do you get extra credit for missing the ball altogether? :)

grassrootsracer
8th December 2006, 15:06
I forgot to mention sailing.

sxis
8th December 2006, 15:06
I'd like to learn how to treat my outside Xmas lights with concern & the respect they deserve & not threaten them with dire consequences if they don't work THIS time aaagh!

schmenke
8th December 2006, 15:12
Learn to wipe with my left hand.

I like to set realistic goals :mark:

Ian McC
8th December 2006, 15:23

Dammit you beat me to it :D

Ian McC
8th December 2006, 15:24

You dont get out much do you :p :

Dave B
8th December 2006, 17:16

I use toilet paper, personally... :p

Hazell B
8th December 2006, 17:18
After this afternoon's pathetic attempt, I'd like to learn about the planning system for agricultural housing, how much sheep cost at various times of the year and what sort of offer I need tender on some land I'm trying to buy.

In short, I'd like to develop my googling skills. I'm utter pants at the moment :s

schmenke
8th December 2006, 17:19
I use toilet paper, personally... :p

Give me time... I have only just mastered "scrunch". Working my way up to "fold".

Vivianita
8th December 2006, 17:59
Learn to dance tango
Speak italian :)

AndySpeed
8th December 2006, 18:26

Personally I don't see the need! The extra effort of reaching accross burns more calories.

I need to master the art of one hand tearing, mind.

fandango
8th December 2006, 19:22
I'd like to learn Chinese. Mostly because it's so different. The saxophone would be the instrument I'd like to learn, or the glockenspeil.

race aficionado
8th December 2006, 19:46
Play the piano.

. . . . and I will do so eventually before I depart this lifetime . . .
:)
tick . . .tick . . . tick . . . tick . . .

jim mcglinchey
8th December 2006, 19:52
Weld.

Any eejit can MIG weld, takes about a year to be skilled at stick welding. TIG welders are thee men.

Id love to be able to wheelie a motorbike and the coolest thing I can imagine is doing the high chair, ie sitting on the headlight while wheelieing, on a super bike down Main Street.

Ranger
8th December 2006, 22:10
I'd like to play guitar at a professional level, even if I mightn't become a musician.

I'd like to learn the keyboard/piano/Hammond B3. It would help musical skills as well as just be awesome.

I'd like to get a racing license as well. Can't go wrong with that.

That's all for now.

And learn how to drive. But that is going to happen in the near future.

And learn to ride a motorcycle as well.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th December 2006, 22:18

I can occasionally do that. ;)

I am 76% illiterate.
But I can dress myself

Mp3 Astra
8th December 2006, 22:19
I want to be able to speak German well enough so Germans see me as one of their own :D Seriously, I really want to be fluent; that's why I'm doing it for A-level.

I would also like to learn how to shuffle and deal a deck of cards.

Finally, I want to be able to be able to be better than my Ukrainian friend at chess :)

SEAN-B.
9th December 2006, 00:42
i'd love to learn how to make enough money to go racing/rallying

That is the key to most of our whimsical wishes that you've pointed out,-money!Not only that,learning how to make a whole lot more of it and spending or investing it wisely.

....and learn how to play the guitar well. :D

Ranger
9th December 2006, 10:25
I would also like to learn how to shuffle and deal a deck of cards.

I was wanting to do the same myself when I realised I was the slowest dealer in a game of "Big 2". :p :

Hazell B
9th December 2006, 17:10
Any eejit can MIG weld, takes about a year to be skilled at stick welding. TIG welders are thee men.

Id love to be able to wheelie a motorbike ......

I'll second the welding point. I learned MIG in about twenty minutes and stick in a few weeks (to the stage where I'm good enough but no genius) then stopped while I was ahead!

Wheelies took longer to perfect and I'm pretty sure I couldn't do one now if I tried (and still had the nerve) without major wobbles. In fact, I don't miss that part of riding motorcycles at all now ... which means I'm getting old and far too sensible :s

jim mcglinchey
9th December 2006, 20:50
[quote="Hazell B"]I'll second the welding point. I learned MIG in about twenty minutes and stick in a few weeks (to the stage where I'm good enough but no genius) then stopped while I was ahead!

Resspecctt. Dont tell me , this was back in '85 and you'd just been to see Jennifer Beals as the worlds singingest, dancingest welder in Flashdance.

nicemms
9th December 2006, 21:01
I'd like to learn software design/creating. Anyone know how to?

Ian McC
9th December 2006, 21:15
I would like to learn how to lose better, I am a poor loser as my wife will testify, so I think learning to lose with a little grace may come in handy.

stevie_gerrard
10th December 2006, 15:24
Skiing, its one of the few sports ive tried, and it looks a lot of fun and such a thrill :) The worry is of falling down and rolling down the hill for ages, i want to do it well. :(

Hazell B
10th December 2006, 22:51
[quote="jim mcglinchey"]

Er, no :p :
About six or seven years ago a friend taught me in another friend's welding company. I made Christmas 'cards' with stick and sent them out. There's one still hanging about in the pub, I think.

Then I went for the NVQ and the idiot tutor had me messing with bits of skinny wire as he thought I wanted to fix jewellery. After a brief discussion I was taken to my spiritual home, the Big MIG Room. The rest is history.

Drew
11th December 2006, 00:17
Learn how to impress girls ;)

Caroline
12th December 2006, 19:05
I would like to learn about the stars and constellations and be able to identify them.

Would like to be a proficient cook and make food that looks nice.

Quite a few things I'd like to do when I start to think about it :)

Hayden Fan
12th December 2006, 20:33
learn to play the guitar. I have one but am confused on how to learn by myself.

MadCat
12th December 2006, 21:51
I'd like to learn to play the piano and drums

learn to speak norwegian

learn welsh (although i lived in wales for 12 years i've forgotten most of it now :( )

oh and like Drew, learn how to impress the girls ;) ;)

Daniel
12th December 2006, 23:40
Learn Welsh? Why? :p

fandango
13th December 2006, 00:04
Skiing, its one of the few sports ive tried, and it looks a lot of fun and such a thrill :) The worry is of falling down and rolling down the hill for ages, i want to do it well. :(

The trick to learn how to ski is to make sure you go for a few days. If you try it for a day you probably won't do it again. It's soul destroying. But then, Bambi-like, you start to fall less often, and get your stuff together, and next thing you know you fall down gracefully rather than any other way. I don't know what happens after that, but I'm happy enough to do it that well.

I notice lots of people want to play the guitar. I used to be a guitar teacher - maybe I should go back to it. And nobody wants to be a DJ anymore...

Daniel
13th December 2006, 00:06
I reccomend snowboarding. I did it for one day about 6 years ago and it seemed a lot easier than skiing :mark:

millencolin
13th December 2006, 02:01
id like to re-learn how to skate... took 2 year off and now im shocking

learn the guitar

and learn how to brew my own beer

Storm
13th December 2006, 06:17
I notice lots of people want to play the guitar. I used to be a guitar teacher - maybe I should go back to it.
A guitar and English teacher :crazy: :) :up:

Hayden Fan maybe this will help..
http://www.guitarlessonworld.com/lessons/index.htm

Christina
13th December 2006, 11:59
Well.. i've done two of my big goals.. which were Hanggliding and Kitesurfing.. my next aim is Paragliding, because a hangglider just isnt that portable, and i want to fly europe.

Umm.. languages i'd like to learn are French, Spanish, Italian and Finnish. because it'd make it much easier to travel around. perhaps german too.. i'm gonna spend a lot of time studying languages!!

i'd also like to be able to sing well. I've got a singing voice like a strangled cat, so it's never going to happen, but still.. it'd be nice..

donKey jote
13th December 2006, 22:03
I would like to learn about the stars and constellations and be able to identify them.

-"Okay, okay, I see it now, yeah, the big shiny one right there, right? That one there"
-"That's the MOON!"
:laugh:

Really quite easy actually. Lots of the brighter stars have weird and wonderful names to learn too. Used to be my speciality, went down a treat with the girlies ! :p :

Jupiter is still one of my favourite "stars" though: you can even see some of the larger moons with binoculars. :s mokin:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

schmenke
13th December 2006, 22:06
Donkey is spaced out :dozey:

donKey jote
13th December 2006, 22:24
that was when I could see them without glasses :dozey:

Tomi
13th December 2006, 22:31
read minds, and it would also be nice if could walk and talk at same time

Caroline
13th December 2006, 22:53
that was when I could see them without glasses :dozey:

Did you see the whole of the moon?

AndyRAC
13th December 2006, 23:32
Again, impress the ladies...

sad, innit??

Drew
14th December 2006, 00:43
Welsh? Eek!

Christina, take it from me, you really don't want to learn German :p :

Dazz9908
14th December 2006, 01:07
Astrophysics, Build rockets, recycle everything, how gravity works and produce it and get off this god forsaken planet.lol

More like how to to happy with what have.

Storm
14th December 2006, 06:14
Really quite easy actually. Lots of the brighter stars have weird and wonderful names to learn too. Used to be my speciality...

Its pretty interesting too..used to be my speciality as well (not really but knew quite a few of 'em funny names and shapes)

Betelgeuse is a favourite of mine though, also a possible supernova candidate....hmmm