PDA

View Full Version : Sao Paulo Indy 300 Race

Pages : [1] 2

DanicaFan
10th March 2010, 21:59
Well, its finally here, the 2010 IndyCar season is about to start. They open this weekend in Brazil on the streets of Sao Paulo. This is an inaugural race. Here are the details of the race..

Race 1 of 17

Race - Sao Paulo Indy 300

Location - Streets of Sao Paulo, Brazil

Date- Sunday, March 14th

Time & TV Schedule - 11:30 AM Eastern on Versus

Course Type - 2.6 Mile Street Circuit

Distance - 75 Laps / 195 Miles

Practice Sessions - Friday, March 12th - 7-8:30 am Eastern & 10:30-11:30am Eastern

Qualifications - Saturday, March 13th -1pm Eastern

DanicaFan
10th March 2010, 21:59
Here is the current entry list..

Car# & Driver / Car Name / Team

#2 Raphael Matos / HP Luczo Dragaon / Luczo Dragon Racing/De Ferran Motorsports
#3 Helio Castroneves / Team Penske / Team Penske
#4 Dan Wheldon / National Guard Panther Racing / Panther Racing
#5 Takuma Sato / KV Racing Technology / KV Racing Technology
#6 Ryan Briscoe / Team Penske / Team Penske
#7 Danica Patrick / Team GoDaddy.com / Andretti Autosport
#8 EJ Viso / PDVSA-Jet Aviation-KVRT / KV Racing Technology
#9 Scott Dixon / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#10 Dario Franchitti / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#11 Tony Kanaan / Team 7-Eleven / Andretti Autosport
#12 Will Power / Verizon Team Penske / Verizon Team Penske
#14 Vitor Meira / ABC Supply Co. AJ Foyt Racing / AJ Foyt Enterprises
#18 Milka Duno / CITGO / Dale Coyne Racing
#19 TBA / Boy Scouts of America / Dale Coyne Racing
#22 Justin Wilson / Team Z-Line Designs / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#23 Ana Beatriz / Ipiranga-DRR / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#24 Mike Conway / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#26 Marco Andretti / Team Venom Energy / Andretti Autosport
#32 TBA / KV Racing Technology / KV Racing Technology
#34 Mario Romancini / Conquest Racing / Conquest Racing
#37 Ryan Hunter-Reay / Team IZOD / Andretti Autosport
#77 Alex Tagliani / FAZZT Race Team / FAZZT Race Team
#78 Simona De Silvestro / Team Stargate Worlds HVM / HVM Racing
#06 Hideki Mutoh / Newman Haas Lanigan Racing / Newman Haas Lanigan Racing

DanicaFan
10th March 2010, 22:31
Here are the pit assignments for this race...

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/PitAssignments-Brazil.jpg

DanicaFan
10th March 2010, 22:37
Alex Lloyd will be in the #19 car for Dale Coyne Racing.

NickFalzone
10th March 2010, 22:42
The Virtual Lap. Going 190+ on the second straight is going to be pretty impressive.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0smKSaFOKhE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0smKSaFOKhE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

harvick#1
10th March 2010, 23:28
predictions on a big crash on the opening lap on turn 1 :laugh:

TURN3
11th March 2010, 00:12
First, can somebody tell me the record for posting to your own thread before anybody else posts? Just curious.

Thanks for posting the virtual lap, those straights will be kool. I can see Jacques V's concept coming in handing here. Very low downforce for those long straights...doesn't matter how slow you are through those tight turns nobody is getting by anybody. Even Danica won't get passed in those.

SUBARUTEAM
11th March 2010, 01:13
did anyone see that a1gp race in china on the temp road course where they made a track with a hair pin so tight that the cars couldn't get around it???? it had no straights and absolutly no where to pass, and the steel man hole covers were lifting as the cars drove over them!!

this track will be very different - more like the gold coast i'd say.

big weekend - v8 super cars in adelade, f1 and irl season opener - its all good!!!

Easy Drifter
11th March 2010, 02:05
Another first. DF has not made a prediction of Danica winning!
Come on Chad, do not disappoint us. :D

TURN3
11th March 2010, 02:12
Just finished watching the inagural Brazilian GP from Rio de Janerio back in '96. Indycar Nation posted the link from YouTube. All I can say is WOW...where has that been? 950hp cars snapping off turns and everybody gunning for each other. We've all been talking about it for years so I'm not going to badmouth what we have now...that isn't my point...just watch it if you will and...WOW!

Hoop-98
11th March 2010, 02:37
Just finished watching the inagural Brazilian GP from Rio de Janerio back in '96. Indycar Nation posted the link from YouTube. All I can say is WOW...where has that been? 950hp cars snapping off turns and everybody gunning for each other. We've all been talking about it for years so I'm not going to badmouth what we have now...that isn't my point...just watch it if you will and...WOW!

Well they were impressive, but 580 - 750 hp.

http://www.allf1.info/engines/ford.php

rh

DanicaFan
11th March 2010, 02:54
Another first. DF has not made a prediction of Danica winning!
Come on Chad, do not disappoint us. :D

That goes without saying. ;)

I already have money on Danica winning with a buddy of mine. :)

SarahFan
11th March 2010, 03:05
Seriosly?

Actual $$$$$$$?

beachgirl
11th March 2010, 03:12
That goes without saying. ;)

I already have money on Danica winning with a buddy of mine. :)

How much have you lost over the past 5 years? :)

DanicaFan
11th March 2010, 03:18
How much have you lost over the past 5 years? :)

Honestly, Im too afraid to add it up so Im not really sure. :( ;)

TURN3
11th March 2010, 03:42
Well they were impressive, but 580 - 750 hp.

http://www.allf1.info/engines/ford.php

rh

Hoop...not to sound like I'm undermining you because I know you know your stuff. But the XB and its derivations thru 2000 aren't on this list. I haven't looked into it with proper research, I just remember hearing them talk about it on TV. And more recently, I think before Long Beach last year they had an interview of some of the drivers from the CART era (including TK, Dixon, & Dario). They were talking specifically of the massive neck snapping HP around 950. Not worth an argument...just what I've seen/heard.

TURN3
11th March 2010, 03:43
Honestly, Im too afraid to add it up so Im not really sure. :( ;)

Well at least you realize that, which is a start.

Hoop-98
11th March 2010, 03:51
Hoop...not to sound like I'm undermining you because I know you know your stuff. But the XB and its derivations thru 2000 aren't on this list. I haven't looked into it with proper research, I just remember hearing them talk about it on TV. And more recently, I think before Long Beach last year they had an interview of some of the drivers from the CART era (including TK, Dixon, & Dario). They were talking specifically of the massive neck snapping HP around 950. Not worth an argument...just what I've seen/heard.

96 was after the downsizing to 3L. In 2005 they were in the 900s. The Ford/Cosworth guys (google Bruce Wood) say they were never much over 850 in CART and they were not hurting on power, rather driveability.

When you hear terms like massive, neck snapping, disregard any numerical values :)

The 96 F1 s were nowhere near 950, check all the sources you want, 580 on the low end 750 high end, probably most are in the 650 - 720 range that year.

But remember they are hauling 1400 lbs around on the track, not 1775 like Indy Cars.

850 was enough to snap your neck in CART and compared to the 725 after 2003 and 650-670 in Indycar with a turbo-hit, I am sure it was a lot different feel.

From Bruce Wood SAE Article:

"It's a more complete engine than anything we've done before," said Bruce Wood, CART Program Director for Cosworth Racing. The XF's 18% weight reduction is due in part to lighter castings with thinner walls achieved via a patented Cosworth casting process. The 32-valve, 8-cylinder, 2.65-L Ford-Cosworth XF is about 22 kg (50 lb) lighter than the XD engine it replaces. XD - used 1996 through 1999 - was capable of 15,000 rpms. The XF approaches 16,000 maximum rpms, produces more than 634 kW (850 bph), and more than 400 Nom (300 lboft) of torque. "The biggest step forward was more power. It's a double-digit gain," said Wood. "

http://www.crash.net/indycar/feature/14393/1/cosworth_get_used_to_xf_boost_reduction.html

Champ car website claiming 950 HP

http://champcar-ws.com/series_tech___dp01_champ_car

According to Champcar in 08 they were running 725 base HP except at altitide where it was 670.

rh

TURN3
11th March 2010, 04:06
96 was after the downsizing to 3L. In 2005 they were in the 900s. The Ford/Cosworth guys (google Bruce Wood) say they were never much over 850 in CART and they were not hurting on power, rather driveability.

When you hear terms like massive, neck snapping, disregard any numerical values :)

The 96 F1 s were nowhere near 950, check all the sources you want, 580 on the low end 750 high end, probably most are in the 650 - 720 range that year.

But remember they are hauling 1400 lbs around on the track, not 1775 like Indy Cars.

850 was enough to snap your neck in CART and compared to the 725 after 2003 and 650-670 in Indycar with a turbo-hit, I am sure it was a lot different feel.

rh

Yeah thats right. I didn't make the association of '96 to the early 2000's...makes sense. I was just looking and you can buy a rebuilt Cosworth XB (listed at 850 hp)!! We should pick that up...except I lost where I found it.

That interview I was speaking of and them talking about their necks snapping and all that was due exactly as you say...driveability. All points of contention that back then you had to know your stuff to get around a track in one of those.

At any rate, that video does show the differences we all agree are needed in Indycar today.

Hoop-98
11th March 2010, 04:18
Yeah thats right. I didn't make the association of '96 to the early 2000's...makes sense. I was just looking and you can buy a rebuilt Cosworth XB (listed at 850 hp)!! We should pick that up...except I lost where I found it.

That interview I was speaking of and them talking about their necks snapping and all that was due exactly as you say...driveability. All points of contention that back then you had to know your stuff to get around a track in one of those.

At any rate, that video does show the differences we all agree are needed in Indycar today.

If you go backwards from Wood's numbers you get ~850 at the peak of XF, dropping down to about 750 the next 2 years with lower boost. XD about 800 and XB Series 2 peaked about 750. In 2002 if you had a boost gauge on a Champcar at sea level you had maybe 2 pounds of boost vs 7.5 in mid 90's.

I think the main thing is to get the weight down 350 pounds, this will make a much livelier car with 570-625 HP than we ever had in CART on Road courses with manageable oval speeds.

rh

Lousada
11th March 2010, 10:38
That this race is run is an achievement in itself with only three months of preparation. If these straights don't produce compelling racing I don't know what will.

SarahFan
11th March 2010, 11:01
That this race is run is an achievement in itself with only three months of preparation. If these straights don't produce compelling racing I don't know what will.

Fontana and phoenix?

Lousada
11th March 2010, 11:08
Fontana and phoenix?

Well the ovals before Kentucky last year were everything but exciting. But actually my comment was aimed at road/street races. I expect this will be the most exciting roadrace of the year as far as passing goes.

SarahFan
11th March 2010, 11:34
Well the ovals before Kentucky last year were everything but exciting. But actually my comment was aimed at road/street races. I expect this will be the most exciting roadrace of the year as far as passing goes.

I know....I was kinda 'just sayin' if you know what I mean

I am evil Homer
11th March 2010, 12:25
I have £10 on Sato making the podium :D

DanicaFan
11th March 2010, 12:29

That's funny! Mite as well hand the money over now, not gonna happen. ;)

ShiftingGears
11th March 2010, 13:16

Considering how many bets on Danica you've won, I'm not sure you're a good person to talk to about odds ;)

px400r
11th March 2010, 13:33

Hmm, NHL had 3 podiums (including 2 wins) in 2008. Two more podiums in 2009. Considering no teams have any experience or data on the circuit, an exprienced road racer in Sato, and the possibility of rain on race day, I'd say Sato has a good chance of making the podium.

DanicaFan
11th March 2010, 14:20
Sato wont finish higher than Danica.

TURN3
11th March 2010, 14:49

This is one of those complete the phrases like on SAT's....

My answer: ....If Sato crashes.

px400r
11th March 2010, 14:59

Why? Because Danica's record on road courses has been so stellar?

DanicaFan
11th March 2010, 15:00
Why? Because Danica's record on road courses has been so stellar?

Because Danica is a better driver and has way more experience in an indycar.

Chamoo
11th March 2010, 15:54

I'll take your bet for my favorite charity. If both drivers finish, Sato will finish higher then Danica.

garyshell
11th March 2010, 16:35

Let me guess, that's because Danica is going to sweep all three places, right?

Gary

TURN3
11th March 2010, 16:36
Because Danica is a better driver...

Will you please wake the ____ up?!!!!

Nothing wrong with having a favorite driver, nothing wrong with being enthusiastic, but wake the ____ up!!!

TURN3
11th March 2010, 16:38
I'll take your bet for my favorite charity. If both drivers finish, Sato will finish higher then Danica.

He won't bet...I've been asking him to for the past 2 years. I've even weighted the bets in his favor and he sort of ignores them. All talk and no show...that speaks volumes for what he really thinks. He isn't as dumb as he wants us all to think.

garyshell
11th March 2010, 16:39

And Sato has way more experience (and success) on road courses. Which factor do you think is REALLY more important, the type of car or type of track? (Carefull with you answer as it just might reflect poorly on your girl's efforts in NASCAB.)

Gary

SarahFan
11th March 2010, 16:41

now thats comedy

TURN3
11th March 2010, 16:42
Forget this crap...I'm going to try my philosophy from Danica's failed NASCAR attempt. When she becomes news I'll post about her. Drivers that don't crack the top 15 aren't newsworthy.

bblocker68
11th March 2010, 16:46
Danica will lose.

Thank you.

px400r
11th March 2010, 17:02

Justin Wilson has twice as many wins in only two years in an Indy Car.

Graham Rahal has the same number of wins as Danica in two years as well (in his first outing).

Ryan Hunter Reay also has the same number of wins as Danica in two-plus years, most of that in mid-pack (RLR) or marginal (Vision) equipment.

Experience in an Indy Car isn't as valuable as you think it is. As far as Danica being a better driver- that's highly subjective.

garyshell
11th March 2010, 17:04
As far as Danica being a better driver- that's highly subjective.

Enough with the political correctness, it's not subjective... it's wrong.

Gary

TURN3
11th March 2010, 17:07
Enough with the political correctness, it's not subjective... it's wrong.

Gary

Great post! :D

SarahFan
11th March 2010, 17:19
besides that race in motegi has penske racing ever not known EXACTLY where there racers were in relation to the rest of the field

* a lap down....hmmmm

jwhite9185
11th March 2010, 18:48
Hmm, NHL had 3 podiums (including 2 wins) in 2008. Two more podiums in 2009. Considering no teams have any experience or data on the circuit, an exprienced road racer in Sato, and the possibility of rain on race day, I'd say Sato has a good chance of making the podium.

Interesting stats, although im not too sure what NHL has to do with Sato...

px400r
11th March 2010, 19:29
Interesting stats, although im not too sure what NHL has to do with Sato...

NHL and KV have the same amount of experience in Indy Cars, and at this point it seems like KV has more going for it. The post was more about "experience" in an Indy Car and being a "better" driver.

jwhite9185
11th March 2010, 20:34
NHL and KV have the same amount of experience in Indy Cars, and at this point it seems like KV has more going for it. The post was more about "experience" in an Indy Car and being a "better" driver.

Ok im with you now. Yeah seems like KV is on the way up while NHL seems to be slipping.

Shifter
11th March 2010, 20:48
I'm excited to see Sato on the road/street courses this year, and to see how he takes to the banks, but unfortunately I have him penciled in for a crash in his first outing. Hoping I'm wrong about that though. Either way it should be exciting!

px400r
11th March 2010, 21:57
Ok im with you now. Yeah seems like KV is on the way up while NHL seems to be slipping.

It's sad to see. Newman-Haas has been one of the elite teams in AOW. Hopefully they can see this through and get back on top.

KV traces it's history back to PacWest Racing- winning races with Mauricio Gugelmin and Mark Blundell. Maybe KV makes it back to the top this year.

Easy Drifter
13th March 2010, 01:46
What annoys me is that we have the first race of the year on a track nobody has seen with new several drivers and teams, and despite some testing everybody a little stale and it is a 2 day event.
Aside from the 'rookie' situation everybody needs max. track time this early.
To me another poor bit of planning by the top mgt. people, possibly leading to an inferior race.

harvick#1
13th March 2010, 02:34
I'm excited to see Sato on the road/street courses this year, and to see how he takes to the banks, but unfortunately I have him penciled in for a crash in his first outing. Hoping I'm wrong about that though. Either way it should be exciting!

me too, Sato is gonna bring some much needed excitement to the street/road courses in the IRL

NickFalzone
13th March 2010, 03:47
What annoys me is that we have the first race of the year on a track nobody has seen with new several drivers and teams, and despite some testing everybody a little stale and it is a 2 day event.
Aside from the 'rookie' situation everybody needs max. track time this early.
To me another poor bit of planning by the top mgt. people, possibly leading to an inferior race.

Completely agreed. I haven't been following the BRA racing schedule closely, but I just figured by NOW, Friday night, we would have some idea as to how drivers are responding to the course. Nothing. It will be a crazy day tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the quals show that's on at 2, but really, all this planning and travel to rush through a 2-day event? I'm disappointed.

beachbum
13th March 2010, 04:16
This is one of those complete the phrases like on SAT's....

My answer: ....If Sato crashes.You didn't quite complete the whole phrase

....If Sato crashes......... first

F1boat
13th March 2010, 06:35
me too, Sato is gonna bring some much needed excitement to the street/road courses in the IRL

You mean, he is gonna crash a lot?

DexDexter
13th March 2010, 09:59

I don't understand why these IRL guys are so excited about Sato? An average crash-prone driver who was beaten by most of his teammates in F1 and never learned anything.

harvick#1
13th March 2010, 11:14

hes also one of the few drivers that actually wants to pass someone in a road course race :p :

Lousada
13th March 2010, 12:34
Anybody trying to watch practise? Not much driving so far it seems. Weather looks great. The track is really narrow, I hope that will not be a problem.

Lousada
13th March 2010, 12:41
Very bumpy track, it looked like one of the KV's nearly lost it in the Sambodromo

Lousada
13th March 2010, 12:48
And now the video feed is locked up :mad:

jwhite9185
13th March 2010, 13:04
It's sad to see. Newman-Haas has been one of the elite teams in AOW. Hopefully they can see this through and get back on top.

KV traces it's history back to PacWest Racing- winning races with Mauricio Gugelmin and Mark Blundell. Maybe KV makes it back to the top this year.

Yeah they're operating from the same shop and even have a couple of old PacWest people working for them still!

DanicaFan
13th March 2010, 13:43
Milka Duno crashes at practice, no suprise. Get her off the track, she is horrible and slow! She is like 13 seconds off pace!

HenryM
13th March 2010, 13:49
the track is very bumpy and narrow, in the start/finish straight there is no grip!
is looking really hard to drive.

DanicaFan
13th March 2010, 13:52
Practice Session 1 is over. Scott Dixon was the fastest. He had a lap time of 1:31.7707.

Here are the results of Session 1..

1. #9 Scott Dixon - 1:31.7707
2. #6 Ryan Briscoe - 1:31.9731
3. #11 Tony Kanaan - 1:31.9753
4. #12 Will Power - 1:32.3009
5. #24 Mike Conway -1:32.6446
6. #37 Ryan Hunter-Reay -1:32.7943
7. #2 Raphael Matos - 1:32.8537
8. #3 Helio Castroneves - 1:32.9402
9. #77 Alex Tagliani - 1:33.1523
10. #22 Justin Wilson -1:33.3587
11. #8 EJ Viso -1:33.3998
12. #78 Simona De Silvestro - 1:33.4757
13. #26 Marco Andretti - 1:33.4808
14. #32 Mario Moraes -1:33.5580
15. #06 Hideki Mutoh - 1:33.6684
16. #14 Vitor Meira - 1:33.6970
17. #10 Dario Franchitti - 1:33.8456
18. #19 Alex Lloyd - 1:33.9907
19. #5 Takuma Sato - 1:34.0126
20. #4 Dan Wheldon - 1:34.4779
21. #34 Mario Romancini -1:34.6577
22. #7 Danica Patrick - 1:34.7795
23. #23 Ana Beatriz - 1:37.4300
24. #18 Mika Duno -1:43.4555

SarahFan
13th March 2010, 14:14
D...you still thinking your money is safe.....or will you be paying your buddy again?

Scotty G.
13th March 2010, 14:18
This "track" looks to be a bit of a joke. Very narrow (like most street circuits), very bumpy and no grip.

Going to be a lot of crash damage after this weekend.

Any real race tracks on this continent open this weekend? :confused:

Only saving grace, is that maybe Milka will be so embarrassingly bad that somebody in the league finally tells her to go away and they make DCR put a real driver in the car.

px400r
13th March 2010, 14:28
Practice Session 1 is over. Scott Dixon was the fastest. He had a lap time of 1:31.7707.

Just thought I'd put things in perspective for DanicaFan...

Simona De Silvestro is 12th fastest at 1:33.4757

Takumo Sato is 19th at 1:34.0126

Danica Patrick is 22nd (out of 24) at 1:34.7795

Kanaan, Patrick's teammate is 3d fastest at 1:31.9753.

NickFalzone
13th March 2010, 14:29
Simona is looking pretty fast, in what is probably not one of the better cars out there.

px400r
13th March 2010, 14:30
Milka Duno crashes at practice, no suprise. Get her off the track, she is horrible and slow! She is like 13 seconds off pace!

But if you do that, then Danica is second slowest. Keeping Milka means Danica is only third slowest...

SarahFan
13th March 2010, 14:32

for always being wrong about danica...you are 100% correct about Milka...

I could probably beat her in my street car

DBell
13th March 2010, 14:45
I'm surprised by the big gaps in the times. Sixth fastest is a second of the pace.

DanicaFan
13th March 2010, 14:49
Im not worried, its only the first practice. She will pick up good on the 2nd round.

Mario Romancini made contact with the wall as well during the 1st practice.

SarahFan
13th March 2010, 14:50
Im not worried, its only the first practice. She will pick up good on the 2nd round.

fast 6 for sure...right?

shazbot
13th March 2010, 14:52
I could probably beat her in my street car

I know you are only joking but it does make me laugh when when people say things like this. If you turned at a track with Milka and her IRL car you wouldn't get any where near her lap times. Not even remotely close.

SarahFan
13th March 2010, 14:56
I know you are only joking but it does make me laugh when when people say things like this. If you turned at a track with Milka and her IRL car you wouldn't get any where near her lap times. Not even remotely close.

seriosly?...really?...

what if I was really strategical about it?

TURN3
13th March 2010, 15:36

Your wording is hard to understand. Are you saying that if he showed up in his street car he wouldn't get remotely close to Milka's times in her Indycar? Or are you saying if he got in Milka's Indycar he wouldn't get close to the times she turns in it?

Can I please get a Danica update? My screen only shows the top 21. Thank you in advance.

TURN3
13th March 2010, 15:46
For information of all, I see several posts about live feed and t&s. Looks like IndycarNation on Twitter was reporting that all the power went down in the communications center. The hamster must have drank the water.

Thought for those of you that don't follow Twitter you'd like to know that was the problem.

TURN3
13th March 2010, 16:04
It was the first race weekend practice of the year; on a track no one has seen before; one which none of the teams have set up sheets for; and many of the drivers have little or no experience in these cars. I'd expect a big gap in times as some teams get lucky on set up and some are lost. Let's see what the nexr session holds as they all try to figure it out.

This is true and the times will probably close up a bit and come down a bit no doubt BUT....notice that aside from some progress made in programs made in the off season (i.e. D&R) the pecking order still looks pretty much that same as every road/street course practice the past 2 years.

shazbot
13th March 2010, 16:11
seriosly?...really?...

what if I was really strategical about it?

C'mon, it's a joke! Non of us could get anywhere near her in her car. Back when I raced Formula Ford a spectator came up to me and was determined to believe his modded Impreza would be much quicker round a track than my 100bhp Formula Ford. You can imagine my pleasure when, a week or so later he turned up at a private track day at which I was instructing. I had my Formula Ford there to run a gearbox in during the lunch break. I suggested he tried to follow me round. Needless to say I lapped him pretty quickly. Credit where it's due he did admitt defeat!

MDS
13th March 2010, 16:14
Looks like that front stretch is going go grab some people come race day, looks to be a lot of bumps under acceleration, not good.

TURN3
13th March 2010, 16:18
C'mon, it's a joke! Non of us could get anywhere near her in her car. Back when I raced Formula Ford a spectator came up to me and was determined to believe his modded Impreza would be much quicker round a track than my 100bhp Formula Ford. You can imagine my pleasure when, a week or so later he turned up at a private track day at which I was instructing. I had my Formula Ford there to run a gearbox in during the lunch break. I suggested he tried to follow me round. Needless to say I lapped him pretty quickly. Credit where it's due he did admitt defeat!

Well Shaz in most cases I'd say you are probably right but I'd say that there are a lot of people that could out drive Milka and several other back markers...not everybody mind you, but a lot. I'll put my name in the hat and there is zero doubt in my mind I could get a better starting spot on the grid in the 18 than its current driver. I'm willing to bet the 7 too for the record.

SarahFan
13th March 2010, 16:18
C'mon, it's a joke! !

i know

beachbum
13th March 2010, 16:25
It was the first race weekend practice of the year; on a track no one has seen before; one which none of the teams have set up sheets for; and many of the drivers have little or no experience in these cars. I'd expect a big gap in times as some teams get lucky on set up and some are lost. Let's see what the nexr session holds as they all try to figure it out.Another factor is the bumpy track. Miss on the shock package, and you will be out to lunch, if not in the wall.

table
13th March 2010, 16:43
So what's going to happen to Danica's BRAND, if she starts getting beat by another woman?

SarahFan
13th March 2010, 16:44
nice to see Tk running at the sharp end of the grid

Lousada
13th March 2010, 16:52
That start/finish stretch is 'interesting'. Lapping or passing cars will be mental.

DanicaFan
13th March 2010, 16:55
Danica moved up!

Here are the results of Practice Session 2..

1. #9 Scott Dixon - 1:32.7369
2. #6 Ryan Briscoe - 1:33.2741
3. #11 Tony Kanaan - 1:33.3384
4. #12 Will Power - 1:33.8045
5. #77 Alex Tagliani - 1:34.0698
6. #37 Ryan Hunter-Reay - 1:34.3339
7. #26 Marco Andretti - 1:34.8893
8. #3 Helio Castroneves - 1:34.9522
9. #32 Mario Moraes - 1:35.0701
10. #8 EJ Viso - 1:35.0702
11. #10 Dario Franchitti - 1:35.1564
12. #2 Raphael Matos - 1:35.2949
13. #78 Simona De Silvestro - 1:35.4282
14. #7 Danica Patrick - 1:35.7395
15. #14 Vitor Meira - 1:35.7497
16. #06 Hideki Mutoh - 1:35.9978
17. #4 Dan Wheldon - 1:36.0740
18. #24 Mike Conway - 1:36.3362
19. #5 Takuma Sato - 1:36.7977
20. #19 Alex Lloyd - 1:36.9803
21. #22 Justin Wilson - 1:36.9843
22. #34 Mario Romancini - 1:40.5845
23. #23 Ana Beatriz - 1:40.8720
24. #18 Milka Duno - 1:44.2048

TURN3
13th March 2010, 16:55
I didn't pay too much attention to what was going on during practice 2...what is the deal? Looks like D&R's drivers pretty much sat out the session and same for Sato and some others with extremely low lap counts. The times were nowhere near practice 1 and as rubber goes down that is unusual. Is it just a case of lots of teams playing it very safe? I know there has been a bunch of crash damage so far.

Also, if somebody can straighten me out here, I'm getting Ana and Simona mixed up. Simona came from Atlantics and is running with the dredded HVM and Ana came from Lights and is running D&R. I know both have been competitive at the lower level of their respective series but wasn't Ana supposed to be the more competitive of the 2, especially given the better equipment and teammates?

Lousada
13th March 2010, 16:59
I didn't pay too much attention to what was going on during practice 2...what is the deal? Looks like D&R's drivers pretty much sat out the session and same for Sato and some others with extremely low lap counts. The times were nowhere near practice 1 and as rubber goes down that is unusual. Is it just a case of lots of teams playing it very safe? I know there has been a bunch of crash damage so far.

Also, if somebody can straighten me out here, I'm getting Ana and Simona mixed up. Simona came from Atlantics and is running with the dredded HVM and Ana came from Lights and is running D&R. I know both have been competitive at the lower level of their respective series but wasn't Ana supposed to be the more competitive of the 2, especially given the better equipment and teammates?

I don't think you can judge their qualities based on this track. The sambodromo part is just one big gamble.

beachbum
13th March 2010, 17:05

Also, if somebody can straighten me out here, I'm getting Ana and Simona mixed up. Simona came from Atlantics and is running with the dredded HVM and Ana came from Lights and is running D&R. I know both have been competitive at the lower level of their respective series but wasn't Ana supposed to be the more competitive of the 2, especially given the better equipment and teammates?Simona has had better results, but they are both good. The difference may be equipment and time in the car. HVM has good road course equipment and Simona had some tests at Sebring and Barber. D&R has never had great road course setups, and often the third (or fourth) car doesn't seem to be nearly as good as the primaries. Bia also has a grand total of one day in an Indy car prior to Sao Paulo. Simona has been rather impressive given her limited experience in the cars.

table
13th March 2010, 17:06
I think Simona is far more skilled and experienced, especially on road/street courses.

DanicaFan
13th March 2010, 17:40
Milka is terrible. She has no business on the track, I dont care how much money she brings. When she is that slow, becomes a danger to other drivers, prevents faster cars from passing, its time for the IRL to pull her from the race.

beachbum
13th March 2010, 18:29
Just came up on TSO. Qualifying is postponed until tomorrow morning. Instead, they will have more practice this afternoon and then grind the concrete tonight. There will be a short practice before qualifying.

NickFalzone
13th March 2010, 18:30
got my fingers crossed for Tags and his new team. Would be huge for them to get a podium.

NickFalzone
13th March 2010, 18:31
Just came up on TSO. Qualifying is postponed until tomorrow morning. Instead, they will have more practice this afternoon and then grind the concrete tonight. There will be a short practice before qualifying.

haven't been following. Is it too slippery in parts?

SarahFan
13th March 2010, 18:31

why even practice this afternoon?....

track will be completly different so why take the chance of bustin up a car...

my bet is limited laps get run

NickFalzone
13th March 2010, 18:38
well, this is what they get for doing a TWO-day event in a new location, new track. Should have had a few cars running around the track yesterday to check it out, and maybe these issues would have been addressed by today's quals. unbelievable.

DanicaFan
13th March 2010, 18:49
They will grind the concrete portion of the track tonight. Qualifications will be at 8am tomorrow morning.

gofastandwynn
13th March 2010, 18:57
well, this is what they get for doing a TWO-day event in a new location, new track. Should have had a few cars running around the track yesterday to check it out, and maybe these issues would have been addressed by today's quals. unbelievable.

They couldn't. The long straight is part of a major highway, and they couldn't close it down until midnight last night.

gofastandwynn
13th March 2010, 18:58
I will say this, I just saw Danica use the slipstream to come from about 5 cars back to pass Dario heading into the hairpin.

If they can fix the main straight this could be a great race

DanicaFan
13th March 2010, 18:59
Practice Session again in the morning, qualifying afterwards at 8:30am.

jackmart
13th March 2010, 19:11
SO when is qualifying and can it still be viewed on vs??

DanicaFan
13th March 2010, 19:20
SO when is qualifying and can it still be viewed on vs??

Well, now there are back to saying 8am tomorrow. Whether its on Versus, I dont know.

TURN3
13th March 2010, 19:36
Checking out the qual show on Versus and I must say I'm absolutely embarassed that I'm a fan of this series. Whatever challenges there are to putting on a professional show should be met or else don't put on the show. If Indycar hasn't learned from the IRL, ChampCar/Cart, and even NASCAR at Daytona this year then it is time to accept it as a minor league 3rd rate sport. Sorry to say.

Lousada
13th March 2010, 19:48
Let's hope they can repair the track tonight. Although BB wasn't confident there would be grinders available :eek: Let's also hope it doesn't rain tomorrow...

TURN3
13th March 2010, 19:53
Let's hope they can repair the track tonight. Although BB wasn't confident there would be grinders available :eek: Let's also hope it doesn't rain tomorrow...

Oh good Lord! Can you imagine rain on THAT track?! Actually, might be worth putting rain tires on to qual in the morning!

DanicaFan
13th March 2010, 20:05
Practice Session 3 Results..

Rank / Car# & Driver / Lap Time / Speed

1. #12 Will Power / 01:31.2980 / 99.998
2. #11 Tony Kanaan / 01:31.3403 / 99.952
3. #37 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 01:31.3858 / 99.902
4. #22 Justin Wilson / 01:.31.5380 / 99.736
5. #10 Dario Franchitti / 01:31.5788 / 99.691
6. #2 Raphael Matos / 01:31.5930 / 99.676
7. #9 Scott Dixon / 01:31.6062 / 99.661
8. #77 Alex Tagliani / 01:31.6969 / 99.563
9. #26 Marco Andretti / 01:31.8503 / 99.397
10. #3 Helio Castroneves / 01:31.8565 / 99.390
11. #6 Ryan Briscoe / 01:31.9878 / 99.248
12. #7 Danica Patrick / 01:32.1665 / 99.056
13. #8 EJ Viso / 01:32.2136 / 99.005
14. #4 Dan Wheldon / 01:32.2469 / 98.969
15. #14 Vitor Meira / 01:32.6553 / 98.533
16. #78 Simona De Silvestro / 01:32.6710 / 98.516
17. #5 Takuma Sato / 01:33.0667 / 98.097
18. #19 Alex Lloyd / 01:33.1112 / 98.051
19. #24 Mike Conway / 01:33.1460 / 98.014
20. #06 Hideki Mutoh / 01:33.1872 / 97.971
21. #32 Mario Moraes / 01:33.7353 / 97.398
22. #34 Mario Romancini / 01:36.2038 / 94.899
23. #23 Ana Beatriz / 01:38.7247 / 92.475
24. #18 Milka Duno / 01:39.5075 / 91.748

beachbum
13th March 2010, 20:22
Let's hope they can repair the track tonight. Although BB wasn't confident there would be grinders available :eek: Let's also hope it doesn't rain tomorrow...As Versus finished up the coverage, a milling machine was backing down the straightaway. I guess they decided to start early. With the equipment they have, it will only take a couple hours at most to mill the concrete.

booger
13th March 2010, 20:55
Unprofessional is the word. How many times have Barnhart and the other clowns he works with taken junkets to Brazil to check on this stuff?...oops! "We just learned this morning that the track is no good"...again. Hope they didn't charge much for spectators to come in and watch quals...I won't be watching tomorrow (DTV I can't!) and I don't think I would if I could.

SarahFan
13th March 2010, 20:57
They will grind the concrete portion of the track tonight. Qualifications will be at 8am tomorrow morning.

Listening to bb on xm145...

He said he had no idea if there was. Even a machine in the country that was capapble of grinding the track

NickFalzone
13th March 2010, 21:02
Unprofessional is the word. How many times have Barnhart and the other clowns he works with taken junkets to Brazil to check on this stuff?...oops! "We just learned this morning that the track is no good"...again. Hope they didn't charge much for spectators to come in and watch quals...I won't be watching tomorrow (DTV I can't!) and I don't think I would if I could.

it's an embarrassment, how professional race course designers could be caught THIS off-guard is stunning to me. Couldn't have a few practice laps around the track last weekend with a test car? Really? They're not even able to put power down on the front stretch it's so slick. I hope BeachBum is right that they have the machines to give it some grip, because I'm not overly optimistic at the moment. They're going to run the race regardless but there's going to be some heavy drivers-meeting rules on slow speeds through the front if they don't repair it.

gofastandwynn
13th March 2010, 21:49

Whoa, the person he put in charge down there was Tony Cottman, the person who many on this forum (and Robin Miller) say is the smartest guy left in open wheel racing, the man who should be running the whole show.

What does this prove? That most of you don't know a thing about what is actually going on...

gofastandwynn
13th March 2010, 21:54
Listening to bb on xm145...

He said he had no idea if there was. Even a machine in the country that was capapble of grinding the track

Don't need it. At every indoor midget race (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jIE1KMiBF0) run on polished concrete they just put down pepsi syrup (They do the same at NHRA national events on the launch pad.) Put some of that down, you will walk right out of your shoes, and it can be cleaned off (or let nature just wash it away over time)

booger
13th March 2010, 22:01
I don't care what Robin Miller or Mickey Mouse for that matter thinks about Cotman, Shnotman, whoever. This fiasco is unforgiveable, but unfortunately not unexpected. I just hope that Mr. Bernard has a nice heavy axe ready when these schleps all return to Indy next week and uses it on whoever was in charge. The only thing that's missing on this course is a big old railroad crossing in the middle of the circuit (we all remember that one, don't we?) And the teams and fans should be up in arms over this. The teams are going to have to shoulder the burden of another bunch of worn out or wrecked cars. And the fans (whatever is left of them) will have to put up with another hohum race.

anthonyvop
13th March 2010, 22:21
they just put down pepsi syrup (They do the same at NHRA national events on the launch pad.) Put some of that down, you will walk right out of your shoes, and it can be cleaned off (or let nature just wash it away over time)
No they don't

They use a product called VHT Trackbite. Some other tracks use Strip Grip.

They don't use Pepsi at NHRA Tracks. I know. I worked at one.

beachgirl
13th March 2010, 23:10
it's an embarrassment, how professional race course designers could be caught THIS off-guard is stunning to me. Couldn't have a few practice laps around the track last weekend with a test car? Really? They're not even able to put power down on the front stretch it's so slick. I hope BeachBum is right that they have the machines to give it some grip, because I'm not overly optimistic at the moment. They're going to run the race regardless but there's going to be some heavy drivers-meeting rules on slow speeds through the front if they don't repair it.

What part of the earlier post explaining that part of the course is a major highway and couldn't be shut down until midnight last night didn't you get? Awful lot of keyboard track construction experts around here. Why don't you all volunteer your time to the IZOD Indycar Series, since everyone knows all the answers?

anthonyvop
13th March 2010, 23:41
What part of the earlier post explaining that part of the course is a major highway and couldn't be shut down until midnight last night didn't you get?

That is right. After a road is built they never, ever shut down even a lane for repairs and maintenance.
When they paint the road for the Carnival Samba parade they don't even shut traffic they just paint the road with the cars and trucks flowing by. As long as your car is white there is no problem........Jeez.

Awful lot of keyboard track construction experts around here. Why don't you all volunteer your time to the IZOD Indycar Series, since everyone knows all the answers?

Volunteer? They know how to get in touch with me. They also know I don't come cheap.

downtowndeco
14th March 2010, 00:06
A couple of guys here predicted the race would be cancelled a few months ago. Wrong. then they predicted that the FIA wouldn't approve the date. Wrong. Then they predicted that the FIA wouldn't approve the track. Wrong. Then they said no one would show up. Wrong again. Now we're supossed to listen to them when they tell us that this race is going to be a failure for sure?

There will be an exciting race tomorrow in front of a packed house. The IRL will get paid. The stands will be full. The crowd will enjoy the action. Sounds like a success to me.

Adjustments will be made for next year. Grow a pair already.

ShiftingGears
14th March 2010, 00:08
Not surprisingly Will is the fastest. Sato is slower than I expected, even though he had mediocre pace in F1.

gofastandwynn
14th March 2010, 00:20
That is right. After a road is built they never, ever shut down even a lane for repairs and maintenance.

There is a difference between shutting down a lane for a need of highway repair and closing down a whole section for a auto race.

anthonyvop
14th March 2010, 00:51
There is a difference between shutting down a lane for a need of highway repair and closing down a whole section for a auto race.

And they have never closed down a road for an event or overnight repair where you live?

Funny. I remember when Champ Car last raced in Downtown Miami they closed down Biscayne Boulevard(US-1) over night to grind down a major bump.

Closing down a medium traveled road over a Saturday night hardly is the stuff of major grid-lock.

Hoss Ghoul
14th March 2010, 00:54
What's the big deal? To me this is the point of street racing. They have purpose built racetracks if you want F1 smooth conditions.

If the point of a racing series is to prove who is the best driver in the world by racing on a variety of circuit types and in a variety of conditions, this is what you should want.

Make the drivers drive the car, lifting is part of most racing...isn't everyone complaining for more difficult driving conditions? More horsepower, less downforce, less weight, etc...

Shifter
14th March 2010, 01:09
What's the big deal? To me this is the point of street racing. They have purpose built racetracks if you want F1 smooth conditions.

If the point of a racing series is to prove who is the best driver in the world by racing on a variety of circuit types and in a variety of conditions, this is what you should want.

Make the drivers drive the car, lifting is part of most racing...isn't everyone complaining for more difficult driving conditions? More horsepower, less downforce, less weight, etc...

You and I are of the same mind sir. I was a fan of Dixon but moreso now after he said 'its the same for everybody, I wouldn't have minded qualifying on the circuit as-is.' (paraphrased). A train-track jump like San-Jose is a bit much, it's hard on the car and could cause mechanical failure, but a slick frontstretch is a test of driver skill, just like the painted sections of Sebring in the wet. If a driver wrecks on it, it's his or her own fault.

TURN3
14th March 2010, 01:18
Whoa, the person he put in charge down there was Tony Cottman, the person who many on this forum (and Robin Miller) say is the smartest guy left in open wheel racing, the man who should be running the whole show.

What does this prove? That most of you don't know a thing about what is actually going on...

By all account, including the drivers and most team owner, Tony is thought to be the most qualified for running pretty much anything on the competition side of racing. I guess all of them aren't as qualified as you either? Especially considering he doesn't even work for ICS any longer. I don't know that he had anything to do with setting up the track to begin with, let alone if he is there to observe it wasn't ready prior to today.

What does that prove? That yet again you speak without knowing anything yourself...

TURN3
14th March 2010, 01:23
What part of the earlier post explaining that part of the course is a major highway and couldn't be shut down until midnight last night didn't you get? Awful lot of keyboard track construction experts around here. Why don't you all volunteer your time to the IZOD Indycar Series, since everyone knows all the answers?

If this were a major league professional event, which supposedly it is, and as important as this supposedly is to Sao Paulo...the highway should've been shut down well in advance to secure the track's performance. Your point is correct and noted by me but I go back a step further...why the highway wasn't shut down is inexcusable. This doesn't happen in Long Beach, Toronto and both of those include routes that handle heavy traffic. Hell...they shut down the airport in Cleveland a day prior to track activity! Again, it isn't thay you are wrong because you aren't...it is why they didn't think ahead any further than this.

vintage
14th March 2010, 02:04
I don't think Toronto or Long Beach require closing any major streets. At Toronto it's in the park, at Long Beach it's the shoreline drive. Another BS attempt.

Edit - at Toronto it's the roads around the convention center and the park.

BobbyC
14th March 2010, 02:08
The IRL's experience with track grinding is based on their familiarity with concrete surfaces. From 1998-99, they raced on the Monster Mile, and from 2001-08, they raced on the concrete in Lebanon, TN. In both cases the track was ground to ensure a raceable surface. But the VHT Trackbite does sound proper from a short-track racers' standpoint. You can't use cola syrup on this third-mile frontstretch. Trackbite might not be suitable from the Turn 11 launch into the Turn 1-2 area.

e2mtt
14th March 2010, 02:42
You and I are of the same mind sir. I was a fan of Dixon but moreso now after he said 'its the same for everybody, I wouldn't have minded qualifying on the circuit as-is.' (paraphrased). A train-track jump like San-Jose is a bit much, it's hard on the car and could cause mechanical failure, but a slick frontstretch is a test of driver skill, just like the painted sections of Sebring in the wet. If a driver wrecks on it, it's his or her own fault.

Good point.

However, this tracks looks narrow & nasty. I'm not sure it's going to be a very good race, more of a high-attrition demolition derby. Even this wouldn't be so bad, except it will mean 2/3rds of the race will be run behind a safety car. Not good at all.

booger
14th March 2010, 03:54
It's 9:45 cet and I'm watching a rerun on Speed of the F-1 quals from Bahrain this morning...an international series that runs no races in the US. Indycar news is non-existant on Speed or any other channel including VS...what's wrong with this picture?

SarahFan
14th March 2010, 03:55
It's 9:45 cet and I'm watching a rerun on Speed of the F-1 quals from Bahrain this morning...an international series that runs no races in the US. Indycar news is non-existant on Speed or any other channel including VS...what's wrong with this picture?

considering what happened today...good!

e2mtt
14th March 2010, 04:08

Nothing really... F1 is possible the pinnacle of motor-racing. Speed ought to carry it... meanwhile Indycar didn't qualify today. They had some practice sessions, and lots of crashes.

gofastandwynn
14th March 2010, 04:10
By all account, including the drivers and most team owner, Tony is thought to be the most qualified for running pretty much anything on the competition side of racing. I guess all of them aren't as qualified as you either? Especially considering he doesn't even work for ICS any longer. I don't know that he had anything to do with setting up the track to begin with, let alone if he is there to observe it wasn't ready prior to today.

What does that prove? That yet again you speak without knowing anything yourself...

By all account? Is that really all account or just 5 members of the press who say it? And a lot of those same owners (and press) wanted Joe Heitzler & Chris Pook to run things too. How did that work out? Oh yea.

This track was Cotman's baby, and according to the lead up reports he has been down there since January personally getting the track ready. So yes, if this is the fault of anybody, it is TC. And TC is still works for the IRL, in the Indy Lights.

gofastandwynn
14th March 2010, 05:09
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c54102/x2_da4836

Looks like it should have some grip now...

anthonyvop
14th March 2010, 06:20
We can argue till we run out of bandwidth about how they could have avoided the problem or how to correct it but it won't change the facts.

Indy Car looks amateurish at their first event in a very important market that loves F-1.

Indy Car wasted valuable TV time that they can never recover. I would love to see the Nielson Trends to see how many people changed the Channel when they found out that qualifying was postponed.
What was suppose to be 2 hours of exciting qualifying at an exciting new venue turned into 1 hour of cars slipping and sliding at 1/2 speed and discussions of Asphalt, Cement and grinding. you can almost hear people around the country asking for their remotes.

ShiftingGears
14th March 2010, 06:24
We can argue till we run out of bandwidth about how they could have avoided the problem or how to correct it but it won't change the facts.

Indy Car looks amateurish at their first event in a very important market that loves F-1.

Indy Car wasted valuable TV time that they can never recover. I would love to see the Nielson Trends to see how many people changed the Channel when they found out that qualifying was postponed.
What was suppose to be 2 hours of exciting qualifying at an exciting new venue turned into 1 hour of cars slipping and sliding at 1/2 speed and discussions of Asphalt, Cement and grinding. you can almost hear people around the country asking for their remotes.

Yep. Pathetic.

F1boat
14th March 2010, 06:41
Postponed qualifying in Brazil? Sounds familiar. :)

call_me_andrew
14th March 2010, 06:48
I'd hardly call this amaturish or a fiasco. Sure beats the hell out of the tire problem plagued USGP or the tire problem plagued Brickyard 400.

TURN3
14th March 2010, 10:16
By all account? Is that really all account or just 5 members of the press who say it? And a lot of those same owners (and press) wanted Joe Heitzler & Chris Pook to run things too. How did that work out? Oh yea.

This track was Cotman's baby, and according to the lead up reports he has been down there since January personally getting the track ready. So yes, if this is the fault of anybody, it is TC. And TC is still works for the IRL, in the Indy Lights.

By all account...yes I'd say the majority of the drivers and teams count which you as usual neglected to respond to, not just the "5 members of this form'. Obviously you hold qualifications for beyond the rest of us to show otherwise? I've not been a supporter of TC in particular but the man has shown far far far far far far far far far more promise than the current man in charge. If it is TC that takes blame for thise fiasco, then so be it but seems to me you have absolutely nothing to base your claim. I don't give a crap whos fault it is...it is damn ebarassing just like NASCAR 's pothole, just like F1's tires issue at Indy, NASCAR at Indy, ChampCar at San Jose...etc. You seem to think the series it on solid ground and heading in the right direction and then they through this catastrophe up to open a season? Wake up or go root for ALMS because ICS doesn't need a blind fan like you.

beachbum
14th March 2010, 11:15
I fired up the computer this morning and decided to wonder to the forums to see what is going on. What I find is a bunch on whiners complaining about .... well just about everything.

There will be a race. It will be interesting. There will be something to complain about when it is over (for many people, there always is). There may even be some things to discuss that are positive, but I am beginning to doubt I will read any of that here. Now go back and argue among yourselves.

Lousada
14th March 2010, 12:59
The track is fine now, sky is blue, the race is going to be great!
Power, Wilson, Kanaan, Tagliani, Franchitti and RHR in the fast six.

jwhite9185
14th March 2010, 14:54
Does anybody have the full standings from qualifying? All i know is Franchitti on pole and Tag is second.

Tried Autosport and Indycar.com but couldnt find out much!

DanicaFan
14th March 2010, 14:56
Well, qualifications are in the books finally. Dario Franchitti earns the pole.

Here is the starting grid..

Row 1

#10 Dario Franchitti
#77 Alex Tagliani

Row 2

#22 Justin Wilson
#37 Ryan Hunter-Reay

Row 3

#12 Will Power
#11 Tony Kanaan

Row 4

#9 Scott Dixon
#6 Ryan Briscoe

Row 5

#3 Helio Castroneves
#5 Takuma Sato

Row 6

#78 Simona De Silvestro
#2 Raphael Matos

Row 7

#7 Danica Patrick
#06 Hideki Mutoh

Row 8

#19 Alex Lloyd
#14 Vitor Meira

Row 9

#8 EJ Viso
#4 Dan Wheldon

Row 10

#24 Mike Conway
#34 Mario Romancini

Row 11

#26 Marco Andretti
#23 Ana Beatriz

Row 12

#32 Mario Moraes
#18 Milka Duno

Hoop-98
14th March 2010, 14:56
http://www.indycar.com/var/assets/indycar-results-quals.pdf

rh

booger
14th March 2010, 15:14
Anybody know how to get the video feed from the IC website? All I'm getting is the radio feed and that's breaking up.

Dr. Krogshöj
14th March 2010, 15:18
Has IndyCar survived Saturday's track catastrophy? And I thought F1 had hysterical fans. Looking forward to a great race. :up:

TURN3
14th March 2010, 15:20
Okay!! Fresh with a massive hangover and shouldn't be out of bed yet, I see Tags qual'd 2nd! Now, all the negative stuff aside, all the track stuff, all the posters on this forum...well you know....all that aside. WOW! Give it up for Tags and his new little start up team!!!!!

Another bit of credit to Simona, they couldn't qualify that well with EJ most days last year and he's normally quick. What was she the 1st eliminated from round 1? Just real good to point out the feel good stories amid some questionable other stuff. Glad to see it, gives a little break to the other stuff and makes it all seem like it is worth it still.

Lots of quick guys throughout the field. Going to be an interesting race for sure.

Hoop-98
14th March 2010, 15:20
Video isn't on yet. No audio issues for me. Simona brought out a FC yellow.

DanicaFan
14th March 2010, 15:22
Turn, I actually agree with you. I was very happily suprised to see Alex T on the front row. He has had a good weekend so far.

vintage
14th March 2010, 15:24
At Toronto the main straight is the west bound lanes of Lakeshore Blvd. Lakeshore being the main route in and out of town to the west other than the Gardner Expressway.

I don't live in Toronto, but have been to the race three times - there is a freaking freeway (as you note) that is the main route into and out of town. Maybe Lakeshore is secondary. Therefore it is not the MAIN route.

TURN3
14th March 2010, 15:25
Turn, I actually agree with you. I was very happily suprised to see Alex T on the front row. He has had a good weekend so far.

Yeah it is good to see just because he isn't one of the big guns. But you should agree with me more so you look better!!! :D

Chamoo
14th March 2010, 15:37
Yes, I'm surprised but happy to see Alex Tagliani on the front row. He had been fast all week, but I don't think many people expected a front row start this early with his new team.

Scotty G.
14th March 2010, 16:05
Bernard's mantra on the IMS radio network...

"We want the best drivers in the world".

Uhh, if that happens in Indy Car Racing, it will be the first time ever in close to 100 years of racing.

How about just starting with about the 10 best American drivers and work outward, from there? Then you can worry about Brazil and England and Venezuela. :D

Get some good Canadians in the series too. Lots of Indy Car fans from Canada. Tags by himself, isn't going to cut it.

Again, these folks need to get their own house in order before trying to conquer the world. Same deal with the schedule. Make sure you are relevent in America FIRST and work outward from there.

And now the folks at IMS radio, got the grid rundown all screwed up and had Danica on the outside of row 1. D Fan should be happy!

TURN3
14th March 2010, 16:17
Well...so much for the feel good stories...1/3 of field gone. What a bunch of amateurs. Oh yeah, entire KV team gone.

PT called that dust on the front stretch after the grinding, no doubt visibility was a prob but when you have an amateur series nobody realizes to slow donw through first turn.

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 16:17
Yes, I'm surprised but happy to see Alex Tagliani on the front row. He had been fast all week, but I don't think many people expected a front row start this early with his new team.

Ditto, im suprised by that too.

A few others i was impressed with included Sato in 10th and most of all de Silvestro up in 11th, a quite excellent debut for her to get into the top 12 runoff in what is essentially an underfunded team.

TURN3
14th March 2010, 16:21
Bernard's mantra on the IMS radio network...

"We want the best drivers in the world".

Uhh, if that happens in Indy Car Racing, it will be the first time ever in close to 100 years of racing.

How about just starting with about the 10 best American drivers and work outward, from there? Then you can worry about Brazil and England and Venezuela. :D

Get some good Canadians in the series too. Lots of Indy Car fans from Canada. Tags by himself, isn't going to cut it.

Again, these folks need to get their own house in order before trying to conquer the world. Same deal with the schedule. Make sure you are relevent in America FIRST and work outward from there.

And now the folks at IMS radio, got the grid rundown all screwed up and had Danica on the outside of row 1. D Fan should be happy!

Scotty I agree that if you're going to build an American product you need American entertainers but there aren't 10 American drivers that rank in the top 20 in the world. I think start with what you have while making sure RHR and Graham are full-timers. Other than that, with Marco and a couple of the up and comers you don't have enough unless you want a track full of Milka's. The best talent in the world...period...from USA or Canada or whereever...best drivers in the world.

TURN3
14th March 2010, 16:30
Spoke too soon, looks like just 3 are done but lots of fast guys at the back now. Viso still in it for KV...wonder what KK and JV are thinking now...going to be a long expensive year from the looks of the start to their season...and history of their drivers.

I'm not trying to start a Danica vs Simona war but give that girl some credit. She has been impressive all weekend and when the green drops Danica usually goes backwards to start her point collecting drive. Simona stuck it in there and I'm thinking this driver can race...looking forward to seeing how she progresses this year.

Chris R
14th March 2010, 16:42
that start was a disgrace on so many levels. The series should have made sure the track was actually clean. 7 laps to clean up is completely unacceptable. So far Vs. coverage is pretty sad too... I am really disappointed....

TURN3
14th March 2010, 16:43
that start was a disgrace on so many levels. The series should have made sure the track was actually clean. 7 laps to clean up is completely unacceptable. So far Vs. coverage is pretty sad too... I am really disappointed....

Don't blame VS....feeds are coming from Brazilian TV

TURN3
14th March 2010, 16:45
Danica actually passed somebody on track for the first time in her career so I'll give her credit even though she blocked Will Power off the track and sent him back 8 spots.

TURN3
14th March 2010, 17:03
Way to go Simona...first laps led. Good for her.

SarahFan
14th March 2010, 17:09

and rain is on the way....if everyone has to switch to wets she will gain serios track position

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 17:12
RHR looks crazy out there, very fast

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 17:12

Danica that was so 2004, Simona is here to stay :D

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 17:14
Simona is holding her own in P2 very very impressive :D

Nikki Katz
14th March 2010, 17:18
Has the online video gone down for everyone else? Annoying, seems like there's a lot happening.

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 17:18
Has the online video gone down for everyone else? Annoying, seems like there's a lot happening.

It has for me :(

SarahFan
14th March 2010, 17:21
video is on....but T&S isnt updateing...

TURN3
14th March 2010, 17:21

I haven't been using online but sounds like the hamster in the wheel they use for electricity can't run in he rain.

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 17:24
there is standing water on the track, expect a red flag shortly

Ryan Hunter-Reay is still the leader

Nikki Katz
14th March 2010, 17:24
It's back now, though showing a bit of the track with no cars on it. Has de Silvestro really not pitted for wets? Surely she'll just spin off as soon as this is restarted?

TURN3
14th March 2010, 17:25
Shade of Australia from a few years back. Red flag probably coming out, or it should. No comms, no scoring, pond at the end of 190mph straight...hmmm. BB has to go to work which means we are all in trouble.

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 17:30
everyone is on wets, several drivers have been spinning out under yellow as well, Danica being one of them :p :

Briscoe in pits for extra downforce adjustments

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 17:30
Its back on for me, albeit its now a red flag

Scotty G.
14th March 2010, 17:41
Scotty I agree that if you're going to build an American product you need American entertainers but there aren't 10 American drivers that rank in the top 20 in the world. I think start with what you have while making sure RHR and Graham are full-timers. Other than that, with Marco and a couple of the up and comers you don't have enough unless you want a track full of Milka's. The best talent in the world...period...from USA or Canada or whereever...best drivers in the world.

Indy Car will NEVER EVER get the best talent in the world.

Indy Car could get many of the best drivers in America and Canada though.

I could name a bunch of American drivers, who could run in this series. I mean, look at some of these jokers out there. You telling me all of those guys from Atlantics and Lights and USAC, from the past 10 years, couldn't run with many of these guys and gals?

Mario Moraes should be singing in a boyband in Brazil and has a terrible racing resume. Yet he is considered a "star" of this series.

We got a bunch of drivers more qualfied and more marketable in this country and in Canada then guys like Moraes, Viso, Meira, Romancini and the like.

SarahFan
14th March 2010, 17:46
dont the teams have firestone wet tires?

why are they not racing?

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 17:49
The leaderboard at the moment for me is about 6 laps behind

Actual standings according to the commentators are...

1. Hunter-Reay
2. Power
3. Franchitti
4. Dixon
5. Conway
6. Matos
7. Wilson
8. Meira
9. Castroneves
10. Viso

SarahFan
14th March 2010, 17:52
are the teams allowed to switch to 'drys' under red?

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 17:52
dont the teams have firestone wet tires?

why are they not racing?

because there is a pond on the track :p :

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 17:54
are the teams allowed to switch to 'drys' under red?

they will stay on wets the rest of the race, unless a dry line comes in, but that wont happen to most likely the end of the race.

they are only working on getting the standing water out, they are not drying the track

SarahFan
14th March 2010, 17:55
they will stay on wets the rest of the race, unless a dry line comes in, but that wont happen to most likely the end of the race.

they are only working on getting the standing water out, they are not drying the track

are you watching VS?

are they going to stay with the race to the end?

and now there talking timed race?

booger
14th March 2010, 17:58
Now it's a timed event with 44 min. of racing left? Champ Car is back!

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 18:00
are you watching VS?

are they going to stay with the race to the end?

and now there talking timed race?

they are working on 2 and 3 and thats really it, the track is drying fast actually, but they will be racing soon

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 18:03
Engines firing up, should be out again shortly

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 18:07
a few taking Drys already, this will get interesting

Nikki Katz
14th March 2010, 18:09
Hmm, the video's gone down again. I can hear cars but the pic's still someone sweeping the track.

ArrowsFA1
14th March 2010, 18:10
Got the commentary but video is stuck buffering :(

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 18:10
Hmm, the video's gone down again. I can hear cars but the pic's still someone sweeping the track.

Same here, im now getting commentary but no video or leaderboard.

SarahFan
14th March 2010, 18:11
i have audio....

no video and no T&S

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 18:11
Green flag, Franchitti leads Dixon both on wets

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 18:16
i have audio....

no video and no T&S

its Hunter-Reays race to lose now

MDS
14th March 2010, 18:16
Yeah, video has gone away and audio is choppy

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 18:17
Simona is out, something wrong with the car :(

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 18:19
Simona is out, something wrong with the car :(

What a shame, at least todays drive bodes well for the rest of the year

Nikki Katz
14th March 2010, 18:19
I don't know if I can be bothered with this, watching a race you can't see is kinda pointless. I think that C5 will probably show a run a highlights show in the middle of the night at some point.

Edit: Spoke too soon, pressing the feedback button opens up another window that seems to work! Don't know how to leave feedback tho...

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 18:20
Danica once again, being a moving chicane :rolleyes:

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 18:23
I don't know if I can be bothered with this, watching a race you can't see is kinda pointless. I think that C5 will probably show a run a highlights show in the middle of the night at some point.

Edit: Spoke too soon, pressing the feedback button opens up another window that seems to work! Don't know how to leave feedback tho...

Im getting that too, still no leaderboard but at least im watching some racing now

TURN3
14th March 2010, 18:25
Danica once again, being a moving chicane :rolleyes:

A lap down, on rain tires longer than the rest of the field and not just holding lead lap cars up...she's all over the track to block them? She has been slightly more competitive this weekend but when it isn't your day you need to set your ego aside and let the lead lap cars go. What a moron, she just can't figure anything out on her own.

SarahFan
14th March 2010, 18:25
does anyone have t&s and/or a running order?

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 18:28
Hunter-Reay
Briscoe
Power
Matos
Meira
Wheldon
Dixon
Conway
Franchitti
Wilson

are the top 10

no one can make it on fuel most likely

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 18:29
18:30 to go

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 18:31
Great battle, Briscoe took the lead only for RHR to retake it at the next corner, great stuff

beachgirl
14th March 2010, 18:32
A lap down, on rain tires longer than the rest of the field and not just holding lead lap cars up...she's all over the track to block them? She has been slightly more competitive this weekend but when it isn't your day you need to set your ego aside and let the lead lap cars go. What a moron, she just can't figure anything out on her own.

Setting her ego aside isn't in her vocabulary. Nor is it a blip on her radar screen.

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 18:35
Briscoe crashs

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 18:35
Briscoe crashes out of the lead

TURN3
14th March 2010, 18:36
And that is why Briscoe will not win the championship...he chokes under pressure every single time.

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 18:37
11 minutes

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 18:37
and rain is possible gonna hit again :D

jwhite9185
14th March 2010, 18:41
seems like a good race going on... shame the racecontrol is so bad i cant really follow it.

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 18:42
Standings now

1. Hunter-Reay
2. Power
3. Matos
4. Meira
5. Wheldon
6. Dixon
7. Conway
8. Franchitti
9. Wilson
10. Castroneves

Hoop-98
14th March 2010, 18:44
http://i39.tinypic.com/wgw1v8.jpg

harvick#1
Power to the lead with 3:30 to go

DazzlaF1
Power leads

Scotty G.
14th March 2010, 18:46

Maybe she just can't run a straight line, because she isn't any good?

Does RHR have any timeouts left? Andretti needs to call time out and get the clock stopped. :p :

ChicagocrewIRL
14th March 2010, 18:46
I Love This Race Course

Scotty G.
14th March 2010, 18:47
KV sure had a kick-ass debut for 2010.

booger
14th March 2010, 18:47
I know what you mean, race control really sucks. So now we can't watch the race on DTV and we can't even hear it on the crappy IRL site.

harvick#1
14th March 2010, 18:48
Power has checked out :D

ChicagocrewIRL
14th March 2010, 18:49
Great Job Vitor !!!!! !

DanicaFan
14th March 2010, 18:49
Congrats to Will Power for the win!

TURN3
14th March 2010, 18:50
Power has checked out :D

That guy is going to be nails on any course with right turns....ouch. Some good guys out there to challenge but we all called it, he is the man to beat without question.

DazzlaF1
14th March 2010, 18:53
Great win for Power

ChicagocrewIRL
14th March 2010, 18:58
I think it was that banana honey on wheat sandwich that did it for Will

NickFalzone
14th March 2010, 19:00
Good race, wish the weather didn't force it to a timed finish, but some good action before that last yellow. Results show u can buy a ride, but u can't buy talent, good luck with that KV.

bblocker68
14th March 2010, 19:03
We won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChicagocrewIRL
14th March 2010, 19:06
Uhm c'mon Versus where's tha podium ceremony ????

beachbum
14th March 2010, 19:18
I know what you mean, race control really sucks. So now we can't watch the race on DTV and we can't even hear it on the crappy IRL site.The Versus coverage mentioned they had another power outrage at the track during the rain. Timing and scoring went down and only came back at the track after quite a while.

Some of us are old enough to remember when you couldn't see ANY racing on TV. Indy was on radio, but any other race coverage was only in the racing magazines, if they had any coverage at all. In today's age we have come to expect everything at our fingertips, but it isn't always realistic.

DanicaFan
14th March 2010, 19:22
It was great to see Ryan Hunter-Reay and Vitor Meira on the podium as well.

garyshell
14th March 2010, 19:23
And that is why Briscoe will not win the championship...he chokes under pressure every single time.

Reminds me of Bryan Herta.

Gary

garyshell
14th March 2010, 19:25
I know what you mean, race control really sucks. So now we can't watch the race on DTV and we can't even hear it on the crappy IRL site.

I had audio and video with only a couple of short hiccups. The flash leaderboard was another story. It was very sporadic.

Gary

e2mtt
14th March 2010, 19:52
Coverage was a miserable joke. I can't get VS right now... the Indycar site's feed was terrible. Audio cutting out, and loud then quiet, live video of empty bits of track, no replays, pathetic.

Argghhh. I really wanted to watch.

Dr. Krogshöj
14th March 2010, 20:14
After watching both F1 and IndyCar online this afternoon, I have to say: if anybody thinks the coverage is acceptable then they are just plain wrong. The IndyCar coverage was amateur hour compared to the BBC feed. I don't see how it is "unrealistic" to be able to watch a damn race.

DanicaFan
14th March 2010, 20:15
Here are the final results..
1.#12 Will Power
2. #37 Ryan Hunter-Reay
3. #14 Vitor Meira
4. #2 Raphael Matos
5. #4 Dan Wheldon
6. #9 Scott Dixon
7. #10 Dario Franchitti
8. #24 Mike Conway
9. #3 Helio Castroneves
10. #11 Tony Kanaan
11. #22 Justin Wilson
12. #8 EJ Viso
13. #24 Ana Beatriz
14. #6 Ryan Briscoe
15. #7 Danica Patrick
16. #78 Simona De Silvestro
17. #34 Mario Romancini
18. #19 Alex Lloyd
19. #77 Alex Tagliani
20. #06 Hideki Mutoh
21. #18 Milka Duno
22. #5 Takuma Sato
23. #26 Marco Andretti
24. #32 Mario Moraes

Easy Drifter
14th March 2010, 21:38
DF is out another $10.
It looks like it may be a looooong season for the Brand.
The other girls are looking pretty good.
I know it is early.

Hoop-98
14th March 2010, 22:06
DF is out another $10.
I know it is early.

She was by far the fastest girl and faster than most of the field ;)

rh

e2mtt
14th March 2010, 22:10
4 girls (women actually) in the field... that is actually pretty cool.

Way to go Danica - you got beat by a rookie girl! I think we"ll get to see Danica settle into into the comfortable slot of 3rd best female Indycar driver, 3rd prettiest driver!

Hoop-98
14th March 2010, 22:10
4 girls (women actually) in the field... that is actually pretty cool.

Way to go Danica - you got beat by a rookie girl!

What got Danica off a lap?

BTW here are the fast laps..

http://i42.tinypic.com/iwj1py.jpg

rh

TURN3
14th March 2010, 22:11
DF is out another $10.
I know it is early.

Simona had a top 10 easy but some sort of mechanical problem that hasn't been brought up yet took her out of contention. She was in 2nd when the downpour came and had made her stop, was keep pace ahead of Dario. Somewhere in that downpour she lost power or drive on the main straight but they never noticed on TV...you could see the log jam with other drivers finally figuring out they could go around her on the yellow...happened again to her later in race...too bad she looked very very good.

TURN3
14th March 2010, 22:23
What got Danica off a lap?

She spun 2x and stalled it in T1...don't misconstrue fast laps for much...thing is she isn't capable of any type of consistency. She was out to luch by comparison to her teammates once again, blocked all day long like it was F1 (put Power through the T1 run off early), with the long straights time was dependent upon trim level as you well know. Look at Rapha down there in 15th on the charts and he finished 4th. Tags was one of the quickest cars on track until Wheldon took him out. So I don't care if she set fast lap by 2 seconds, she stunk it up as usual and surely has numerous drivers PO'd at her again. With all the attrition, had she not screwed up so much, she was quick enought to run 12th to 15th based on where she was running on track. I think she was 9th with all the fast guys making their way back from the T1 incident...Dixon, Wilson, Briscoe, Power, Helio caught her group and passed on by.

Hoop-98
14th March 2010, 22:24
Simona had a top 10 easy but some sort of mechanical problem that hasn't been brought up yet took her out of contention. She was in 2nd when the downpour came and had made her stop, was keep pace ahead of Dario. Somewhere in that downpour she lost power or drive on the main straight but they never noticed on TV...you could see the log jam with other drivers finally figuring out they could go around her on the yellow...happened again to her later in race...too bad she looked very very good.

you may want to study this a bit t13

http://www.indycar.com/var/assets/indycar-race-lapchart.pdf

rh

TURN3
14th March 2010, 22:28
you may want to study this a bit t13

http://www.indycar.com/var/assets/indycar-race-lapchart.pdf

rh

For? You have an amazing way of substantiating my comments. Thanks again, you are very helpful.

Hoop-98
14th March 2010, 22:29
For? You have an amazing what of substantiating my comments. Thanks again, you are very helpful.

Lol, care to explain, ?

rh

DavePI2
14th March 2010, 22:37
anyone else would have been warned for blocking but not the princess. Oh well she is not even the best female driver in the series anymore. No wonder she doesn't get as much attention as she used too from the irl. This only confirms why she doesn't like road course driving, she is not good and pretty soon their might be two women in the series who are better.

TURN3
14th March 2010, 22:38
Lol, care to explain, ?

rh

I hadn't pulled up the lap chart, was going from memory. When you posted it I was checking what I had said and pretty much shows I remembered correctly. TV obviously isn't able to cover everything so having watched races for 25 years we can sort of make some assumptions from our experiences. Sometimes we might not get things exactly correct but still leaves us heading in the right direction. I see that Simona had not pitted early when she took the lead under yellow, that was the assumption I made considering she didn't pit for so long after...if you follow me. Still, she ran several laps ahead of Dario until RHR went on a tear and she still held 2nd for a bit. She did look good, a rookie with a team that hasn't been so quick last couple years...I'm impressed with the driver of that car.

Not sure if you or anybody else has heard what was going on with her car like I mentioned? Curious to know because she looked poised for a top 10 the way it shook out.

Hoop-98
14th March 2010, 23:09
I hadn't pulled up the lap chart, was going from memory. When you posted it I was checking what I had said and pretty much shows I remembered correctly. TV obviously isn't able to cover everything so having watched races for 25 years we can sort of make some assumptions from our experiences. Sometimes we might not get things exactly correct but still leaves us heading in the right direction. I see that Simona had not pitted early when she took the lead under yellow, that was the assumption I made considering she didn't pit for so long after...if you follow me. Still, she ran several laps ahead of Dario until RHR went on a tear and she still held 2nd for a bit. She did look good, a rookie with a team that hasn't been so quick last couple years...I'm impressed with the driver of that car.

Not sure if you or anybody else has heard what was going on with her car like I mentioned? Curious to know because she looked poised for a top 10 the way it shook out.

First off, I am not a or the Danica Fan.

Both had incidents that hurt their standings. Both could have had top tens or 5s with luck. Danica had 6th fastest lap, Simona 13th. Danica made her climb during green, Simona went from 19th to 1st by not pitting.

Danica was faster.

Here is the chart.

http://i44.tinypic.com/262pikx.jpg

rh

downtowndeco
14th March 2010, 23:13
I posted this yesterday at the peak of mass hysteria & have bumped it now because if I had been wrong someone else sure would have brought it up;

A couple of guys here predicted the race would be cancelled a few months ago. Wrong. then they predicted that the FIA wouldn't approve the date. Wrong. Then they predicted that the FIA wouldn't approve the track. Wrong. Then they said no one would show up. Wrong again. Now we're supossed to listen to them when they tell us that this race is going to be a failure for sure?

There will be an exciting race tomorrow in front of a packed house. The IRL will get paid. The stands will be full. The crowd will enjoy the action. Sounds like a success to me.

Adjustments will be made for next year. Grow a pair already.

TURN3
14th March 2010, 23:41
First off, I am not a or the Danica Fan.

Both had incidents that hurt their standings. Both could have had top tens or 5s with luck. Danica had 6th fastest lap, Simona 13th. Danica made her climb during green, Simona went from 19th to 1st by not pitting.

Danica was faster.

Here is the chart.

http://i44.tinypic.com/262pikx.jpg

rh

Hoop, If I made the implication that I was directly comparing Danica and Simona it wasn't my point. All I tried to point out is that Simona was damn impressive and was all weekend. Separately, Danica was her usual horrible although maybe not AS horrible as in the past.

And I know you aren't DFan, not trying to put you in that category. I am an engineer and I'm very analytical. So your graphs and charts and tables are very well understood. But you, as an engineer, also understand that there is a difference in perception and reality. All reality isn't told by graphs. Like I said before, if Danica got a toe down the mile back straight and was trimmed out (in theory), she might have posted a fast lap time. That lap time alone doesn't show that she was in fact out raced in every session of the weekend, and again in the race by Simona in particular. That one lap time doesn't show that she was only competitive with cars running 12th or so when they were running together under green. She passed Viso, who was inexplicably slow this weekend btw, and other than that I don't know if she made another actual pass on the track...maybe, maybe not. I know she got out raced, period, by most of the drivers in this race today. She flat out wasn't good...she blocked all day long and even after she was a lap down. There was an absolute log jam of cars racing for position all over her and she held every single one of them up for multiple laps. Will Power was one of them. Had it not been for the 2nd to last yellow he would not have had the chance to compete for the win. Danica was not fast enough to get a top 5 today, her highest post position came when most of the field was pitting for rain tires. So her "progression" was hardly due to "green flag racing" rather her usual pit sequence of events, same as Simona taking the lead. Big diff? Simona stayed with the leaders when she got there, Danica never got there and didn't stay with pack in front of her.

We don't need to keep breaking this down, I think we've both made our points. I can't believe I'm talking about a driver that finished 1 lap down in 16th place...last car running w/o mechanical issues. She, being Danica, doesn't matter. There were however some impressive drives and they should get credit.

Hoop-98
14th March 2010, 23:55
Hoop, If I made the implication that I was directly comparing Danica and Simona it wasn't my point. All I tried to point out is that Simona was damn impressive and was all weekend. Separately, Danica was her usual horrible although maybe not AS horrible as in the past.

And I know you aren't DFan, not trying to put you in that category. I am an engineer and I'm very analytical. So your graphs and charts and tables are very well understood. But you, as an engineer, also understand that there is a difference in perception and reality. All reality isn't told by graphs. Like I said before, if Danica got a toe down the mile back straight and was trimmed out (in theory), she might have posted a fast lap time. That lap time alone doesn't show that she was in fact out raced in every session of the weekend, and again in the race by Simona in particular. That one lap time doesn't show that she was only competitive with cars running 12th or so when they were running together under green. She passed Viso, who was inexplicably slow this weekend btw, and other than that I don't know if she made another actual pass on the track...maybe, maybe not. I know she got out raced, period, by most of the drivers in this race today. She flat out wasn't good...she blocked all day long and even after she was a lap down. There was an absolute log jam of cars racing for position all over her and she held every single one of them up for multiple laps. Will Power was one of them. Had it not been for the 2nd to last yellow he would not have had the chance to compete for the win. Danica was not fast enough to get a top 5 today, her highest post position came when most of the field was pitting for rain tires. So her "progression" was hardly due to "green flag racing" rather her usual pit sequence of events, same as Simona taking the lead. Big diff? Simona stayed with the leaders when she got there, Danica never got there and didn't stay with pack in front of her.

We don't need to keep breaking this down, I think we've both made our points. I can't believe I'm talking about a driver that finished 1 lap down in 16th place...last car running w/o mechanical issues. She, being Danica, doesn't matter. There were however some impressive drives and they should get credit.

My point was that she consistently, not just once, ran faster than Simona.
I have each lap but I won't bother posting unless you would like.
See, my issue is you say things that cannot be measure, yet when there is a measurement, say her back stretch speed on her fastest lap it can be seen she had no tow, was slower there than Simona consistently.

But with no data to support it you say she had a tow and was trimmed out.

As an objective engineer type I would think you would look at section speeds etc instead of making up concepts.

If your objective evaluation is demonstrably wrong, you can see why I question your subjective comments, and if you didn't feel compelled to make these statements about her which can be shown to be wrong, well maybe we would be talking about the front runners now that's all I gotta say about that.

rh

DanicaFan
14th March 2010, 23:58
What made Danica place so badly was the bad call by Tom Anderson (strategist) for not calling her in the pits earlier to change from the slicks to the rain tires. That is the reason she slid and lost the lap.

TURN3
15th March 2010, 00:06
My point was that she consistently, not just once, ran faster than Simona.
I have each lap but I won't bother posting unless you would like.
See, my issue is you say things that cannot be measure, yet when there is a measurement, say her back stretch speed on her fastest lap it can be seen she had no tow, was slower there than Simona consistently.

But with no data to support it you say she had a tow and was trimmed out.

As an objective engineer type I would think you would look at section speeds etc instead of making up concepts.

If your objective evaluation is demonstrably wrong, you can see why I question your subjective comments, and if you didn't feel compelled to make these statements about her which can be shown to be wrong, well maybe we would be talking about the front runners now that's all I gotta say about that.

rh

What part of my previous post where I pointed out that I was not comparing Simona directly to Danica did you not figue out. Graph that and see if you can objectively figure it out.

I did not make up a concept, I stated a hypothesis. Do I need to define that for you?

I've stated over and over now, to your inexplicable logic of defiance, that Simona looked real good for a rookie with a team not typically real quick. She ran with the leaders when she was there. She out paced Danica in I think every session (maybe not quite all of them). I've also tried to point out that Tags deserves some credit, same with Vitor, Rapha, and some others. Graph that and objectively explain why you are trying to ram stats of a 16th place driver down my throat when she was a moving chicane all race long.

And to answer a previous smart mouthed question of your "She did?" when you tried to be sarcastic to somebody saying the brand was beaten by a rookie today...they were referring to Ana. So yes, she did. Pull that up on your graph and chart it so next time you have ALL your facts straight instead of the ones that make an argument for you.

Want to keep going? I can assure you I can banter back and forth all night long if that is your intent? It isn't mine, I complimented the deserving and you're trying to defend a 16th place finisher? Go figure....wait, graph that.

TURN3
15th March 2010, 00:08
What made Danica place so badly was the bad call by Tom Anderson (strategist) for not calling her in the pits earlier to change from the slicks to the rain tires. That is the reason she slid and lost the lap.

She spun again on wets too. She was already a lap down though, and RHR was able to keep in on the track. She just ran out of talent...around her Forumla Ford days.

beachgirl
15th March 2010, 00:27

Look, DF, please explain why she can never, ever put a foot wrong? Are we really starting yet another season with it's-never-Danica-it's-her-car/crew/strategist/other-drivers/ on and on and on? ABD. Anything But Danica.

I'm also curious why she always has a new strategist every single year.