PDA

View Full Version : 2011:BTCC vs WTCC

tech3
9th March 2010, 17:40
With the WTCC using super 2000 cars with 1.6 turbos and the BTCC running NGTC regs, which do you think will be the better series and which do you think will attract more factory teams?

Azumanga Davo
9th March 2010, 20:30
I wish the blummin' pair of them would decide something in unison for a change.

Eurotech
11th March 2010, 23:33
errr wasn't that S2000?

Alfa Fan
12th March 2010, 00:17
No. S2000 is what the FIA came up with once the BTCC had already gone with BTC-Touring. Most of the stupidity was the FIAs fault back then, but its a long story.

Daniel
12th March 2010, 17:02
I have to say this is all a bit of a mess. The BTCC and WTCC should realistically be using the same cars to maximise the chances of success for for series

UltimateDanGTR
12th March 2010, 17:38
I think the best way is, like stated above, for them to use the same regulations. and those regs should be NGTC in my view, although id hope for the option for FWD or RWD with those regs (which could still happen in BTCC NGTC)

Daniel
12th March 2010, 18:05
I think the best way is, like stated above, for them to use the same regulations. and those regs should be NGTC in my view, although id hope for the option for FWD or RWD with those regs (which could still happen in BTCC NGTC)
Why BTCC NGTC? S2000/S1600T leaves the door open to a lot more cars.

Allyc85
12th March 2010, 18:11
I have to say this is all a bit of a mess. The BTCC and WTCC should realistically be using the same cars to maximise the chances of success for for series

Agreed, infact I think all the major touring car series should be working together to make the sport stronger and more accessible for manufacturers to come in.

DazzlaF1
12th March 2010, 19:09
Agreed, infact I think all the major touring car series should be working together to make the sport stronger and more accessible for manufacturers to come in.

That was the beauty of the "Supertouring" regulations, nearly every other championship adopted them and made it easier for manufacturers to run dual programs in other championships. I know Peugeot ran programs in the BTCC and the old DTM as did Nissan and GM (obviously competing in Germany under the Opel brand)

But now I would'nt be suprised to see the WTCC looking upon the BTCC more as a rival series rather than a feeder category

Daniel
12th March 2010, 19:15
That was the beauty of the "Supertouring" regulations, nearly every other championship adopted them and made it easier for manufacturers to run dual programs in other championships. I know Peugeot ran programs in the BTCC and the old DTM as did Nissan and GM (obviously competing in Germany under the Opel brand)

But now I would'nt be suprised to see the WTCC looking upon the BTCC more as a rival series rather than a feeder category
The supertourers were never in the DTM. You're thinking of the German Super Tourenwagen series

DazzlaF1
12th March 2010, 20:15
The supertourers were never in the DTM. You're thinking of the German Super Tourenwagen series

Thats what i meant by old DTM, I just forgot what the old series was actually called

Maybe I should have said "The Predecessor to the DTM"

Daniel
12th March 2010, 20:35
Thats what i meant by old DTM, I just forgot what the old series was actually called

Maybe I should have said "The Predecessor to the DTM"
DTM and STW are two totally different things which ran alongside each other

UltimateDanGTR
12th March 2010, 22:00
Why BTCC NGTC? S2000/S1600T leaves the door open to a lot more cars.

well, My ideals of Touring Cars of the premier series are bigger saloon cars, much like the super touring era BTCC's and V8 supercars.

Now, I would say that NGTC would be great if there were a way of making RWD and FWD cars each having their own standardized parts but where they are equal. and no, i do not want spec series, but standardized parts are a great cost saver and the NGTC is designed to do such a thing without making the whole series too 'spec'd up' (by not overdoing the amount of standardized parts)

hopefully lower costs would bring more entrants and parralell rules like already stated above would make it easier for manufacturers to enter different series.

and, I belive we would still see a great variation of cars. with RWD and FWD NGTC we would still see BMW, Cheverolet, Honda, Ford etc.

I think NGTC with two sets of parts (for FWD and RWD) is the way foward for BTCC and WTCC at least, and maybe STCC and others to follow. some should remain unique IMO (DTM and V8's)

also, I wouldnt be against seeing car manufacturers simply supplying cars to teams and giving some backing to those teams instead of being full factory teams. why? car manufacturers are more likely to pull out because its not commercially viable or whatever than proper racing teams. with supplying cars, this is much less likely, hence in theory a bigger variety. Thing is, car manufacturers may like to go racing, but they are in it to sell cars just as much at the end of the day.

racer69
16th March 2010, 16:03
In terms of a 'world formula' for touring cars, incorporating all cars from around the world, then a modern-day variation of Group A is what is required. A formula that includes both the big cars and the little ones.

DTM and STW are two totally different things which ran alongside each other

Exactly, DTM ran from 1984-1995/96, then restarted in 2000

STW ran from 1994-1999

Daniel
16th March 2010, 16:05
In terms of a 'world formula' for touring cars, incorporating all cars from around the world, then a modern-day variation of Group A is what is required. A formula that includes both the big cars and the little ones.

Exactly, DTM ran from 1984-1995/96, then restarted in 2000

STW ran from 1994-1999
The problem is that the FIA is **** scared of asking manufacturers to make homologation specials. Group A was such a fantastic thing across the board.