PDA

View Full Version : Mock the week

Daniel
9th March 2010, 14:57
Am I the only person who finds Mock the week a bit boring? I especially hate the bit where people are stood up and forced to say something unfunny about an unfunny topic rather than just letting humour happen a bit more naturally like other shows do.

Mark
9th March 2010, 14:59
Am I the only person who finds Mock the week a bit boring?

That's worth a ban :mark:

Daniel
9th March 2010, 15:00
That's worth a ban :mark:
You want the truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Oh and I should point out I was talking to Mark about this on msn before I posted this thread.

BeansBeansBeans
9th March 2010, 15:06
I've seen it a couple of times and disliked it immensely. Mind, that was mainly because Frankie Boyle was on it and I understand he's now quit.

Daniel
9th March 2010, 15:09
I've seen it a couple of times and disliked it immensely. Mind, that was mainly because Frankie Boyle was on it and I understand he's now quit.
He's annoying but not as annoying as the guy who's only there because he's short, funny looking, bald and just a bit nasal.

V12
9th March 2010, 15:26
Used to watch it all the time and really liked it, to be honest I'm finding myself a bit bored of it now though.

BeansBeansBeans
9th March 2010, 15:27
He's annoying but not as annoying as the guy who's only there because he's short, funny looking, bald and just a bit nasal.

Ah, that Andy guy.

He looks like he should be playing a medieval dog in an animated film.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th March 2010, 15:31
I like it. Dara O'briain is brilliant.

I like Andy Parsons too. I like the way he delivers his jokes. The only one I'm not too keen on is Russell Howard.

Dave B
9th March 2010, 15:43
Dara is the glue which holds it all together. The programme can be funny but it stands or falls on the quality of its guests, and recently they've been relying on the same old tired roster and it's getting a bit predictable.

Having been to a few recordings, I know that the best bits are unlikely to ever be broadcast or even included on DVD extras!

wedge
9th March 2010, 15:46
Am I the only person who finds Mock the week a bit boring? I especially hate the bit where people are stood up and forced to say something unfunny about an unfunny topic rather than just letting humour happen a bit more naturally like other shows do.

No

My brother watches it all the time

It's one of those shows where I'm wondering 'Where's the joke?', 'Is that a joke?', 'That was supposed to be funny?'

Mark
9th March 2010, 16:54
Arr y'all are boring gits :p

Daniel
9th March 2010, 16:55
Arr y'all are boring gits :p
You're DemolicionChica and I claim my prize :p

Azumanga Davo
9th March 2010, 17:05
Is this the one that's like "Good News Week", but doesn't run for an hour and a half and is actually funny?

Daniel
9th March 2010, 18:26
Is this the one that's like "Good News Week", but doesn't run for an hour and a half and is actually funny?
Nah. MTW isn't funny :)

Azumanga Davo
9th March 2010, 18:28

So they are both Good News Week then. That simplifies everything. :D

Brown, Jon Brow
9th March 2010, 18:29

I've come to the conclusion that you have no sense of humour :p

Rollo
9th March 2010, 19:20

Or do you mean Have I Got News For You?

Mind you HIGNFY does have Paul Merton who appears on improv radio comedy quite frequently, and Ian Hislop who has basically made a career out of poking fun at the new through Private Eye magazine.

Azumanga Davo
9th March 2010, 19:28
Or do you mean Have I Got News For You?

Mind you HIGNFY does have Paul Merton who appears on improv radio comedy quite frequently, and Ian Hislop who has basically made a career out of poking fun at the new through Private Eye magazine.

The two are of no equal comparison. MTW and GNW are nowhere near the sort of humour you would actually get on HIGNFY. Anyway, anything with Corinne Grant in it is automatically dismissed as comedy.

BDunnell
9th March 2010, 20:06
Give me Have I Got News for You any day, to say nothing of The News Quiz. I find Mock the Week far too shouty for my tastes.

emporer_k
9th March 2010, 20:15
I think its a great shame that Frankie Boyle has quit the show.

Azumanga Davo
9th March 2010, 20:20

Probably the only interesting part of that show, considering most of the YouTube stuff features him. A couple of one-liners does not a good show make though.

Dave B
9th March 2010, 21:52
You think? I made the mistake of seeing him live, and he was insulting without being funny, and rude without having any wit. And he didn't do an encore, which earned him a rousing boo.

Rollo
9th March 2010, 23:05
Give me Have I Got News for You any day, to say nothing of The News Quiz. I find Mock the Week far too shouty for my tastes.

I'm wondering how much material of Hugh Dennis cross pollinates into The Now Show on Radio 4, considering the nature of the two shows.

There is of course his continued jokes about the Dark Lord Imhotep, which is odd considering if you remember from that esteemed documentary series Look Around You, Imhotep is in fact invisible.

BDunnell
9th March 2010, 23:33
I'm wondering how much material of Hugh Dennis cross pollinates into The Now Show on Radio 4, considering the nature of the two shows.

I wouldn't know, because for me the 6:30 comedy slot on Radio 4 on Fridays ceases to be of the slightest interest whenever The Now Show comes on.

Dave B
10th March 2010, 07:57
There is of course his continued jokes about the Dark Lord Imhotep, which is odd considering if you remember from that esteemed documentary series Look Around You, Imhotep is in fact invisible.
There is a maths problem which involves Imhotep, and a picture of him appears on screen.

Now write that down in your copy book.

</nerd>

Mark
10th March 2010, 09:13
You think? I made the mistake of seeing him live, and he was insulting without being funny, and rude without having any wit. And he didn't do an encore, which earned him a rousing boo.

I saw his show on DVD, much of the stuff he 'adlibed' on MTW. I didn't find him funny at all, whereas I'd be in hysterics on MTW. It has become too much of 'The Frankie Boyle Show'

I think people are expecting MTW to be a hard hitting satirical news quiz, it isn't, that's Have I Got News For You. It's a comedy show based on standup, and a very funny one at that!

Daniel
10th March 2010, 09:15
I saw his show on DVD, much of the stuff he 'adlibed' on MTW. I didn't find him funny at all, whereas I'd be in hysterics on MTW. It has become too much of 'The Frankie Boyle Show'

I think people are expecting MTW to be a hard hitting satirical news quiz, it isn't, that's Have I Got News For You. It's a comedy show based on standup, and a very funny one at that!
The only thing that links MTW to stand up is the fact that they stand up for part of the show :p

BDunnell
10th March 2010, 19:12

I do take your point. However, any show along those lines, entirely involving comedians, is always — in my view — going to be flawed. This is why I much prefer Have I Got News for You and The News Quiz, because of the mixture of comedians, humorists, politicians, journalists, broadcasters and others they have on.

That said, for my money one of the finest appearances ever on HIGNFY was by a comedian, and a much-missed one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MprKk-30ICE

christophulus
10th March 2010, 23:11

I actually think Mock the Week is better without him now, most of his jokes appear on websites around the same sort of time, and I can never tell whether he thought them up first or "borrowed" them.

So yes, I like Mock the Week actually. Although it does depend to a large extent to who the "guest" comics are, as they often get some quite mediocre people on.

Daniel
11th March 2010, 11:33
Yeah he doesn't seem all that funny to me either. I'm going to see Reginald D Hunter sometime soon, really looking forward to that :D

Dave B
11th March 2010, 12:16
I'm seeing Reg too, and Dara. :up:

Daniel
11th March 2010, 12:19
I'm seeing Reg too, and Dara. :up:
When are you seeing him?

Hmmm I just realise that makes it sound like we're seeing a male prostitute :mark:

Dave B
11th March 2010, 12:23
End of June. I forgot to mention Paul Merton as well. :D

Daniel
11th March 2010, 12:26
End of June. I forgot to mention Paul Merton as well. :D
Damn you! I think Paul Merton is great :) I loved the Paul Merton in Europe shows :)

MrJan
11th March 2010, 12:43
I'm bored of Paul Merton and HIGNFY now, although he does always make me smile when he's on JAM.

I'll happily watch Mock The Week but if Dara wasn't on it then I wouldn't be fussed. Also they quite often have that Lucy Porter (??) on it, not a huge fan of her comedy but it's a yay from me :cheese: