PDA

View Full Version : If humanity ever meets aliens...

Captain VXR
7th March 2010, 18:57
Would it be like Avatar, where we exploit them and try to destroy them as we have tried to do to countless peoples on our planet, or more like Star Trek, being peaceful, sharing technology, intermixing etc
Your opinions please

Sonic
7th March 2010, 21:56
Would it be like Avatar, where we exploit them and try to destroy them as we have tried to do to countless peoples on our planet, or more like Star Trek, being peaceful, sharing technology, intermixing etc
Your opinions please

whos to say we'd be in a position to dictate first contact.

gloomyDAY
7th March 2010, 23:00
I'd go Chris Columbus on their asses.

Recon missions FTW!!!

tmx
8th March 2010, 00:39
That's easy, just look at the way we treat each other, within the same country even. Alien are smart enough that they would look at the way our civilization is and choose not to participate. At least, I don't want to participate in some of the destructive things we are doing right now.

Stephen Hawking has a point, that we have to leave this field to continue sustaining. We would some day due to progression of technology, then it would be one faction trying to destroy one another.

Right now I think its more important to concentrating on solving our own problems, which is unsolvable because of corporate greed and their ability to control over every single aspect of our lives. We probably end up causing nuclear winter due to the wars as a result of the oil peak.

I suggest reading up on abiogenesis though. It's actually is a very rare occurrence that require special condition for life to form. Though a similar Earth is feasible.

PS. I have not watched Avatar and I don't plan to. I'm trying to avoid watching Hollywood-style movies.

Hondo
8th March 2010, 02:26
That's easy, just look at the way we treat each other, within the same country even. Alien are smart enough that they would look at the way our civilization is and choose not to participate. At least, I don't want to participate in some of the destructive things we are doing right now.

Stephen Hawking has a point, that we have to leave this field to continue sustaining. We would some day due to progression of technology, then it would be one faction trying to destroy one another.

Right now I think its more important to concentrating on solving our own problems, which is unsolvable because of corporate greed and their ability to control over every single aspect of our lives. We probably end up causing nuclear winter due to the wars as a result of the oil peak.

I suggest reading up on abiogenesis though. It's actually is a very rare occurrence that require special condition for life to form. Though a similar Earth is feasible.

PS. I have not watched Avatar and I don't plan to. I'm trying to avoid watching Hollywood-style movies.

I take issue with your source of the unsolvable problem being corporate greed. Our problems are unsolvable because of us. Human nature. Human nature has not changed throughout our history and I don't expect any changes soon. Corporations are merely an entity created by humans to do business. In fact, a corporation that has gone public has probably done more to "share the wealth" than any other entity out there. What a corporation does or doesn't do is an extension of it's rules of charter, created by humans, or the manner in which the board of directors, also human, decide how to conduct business. Even funnier is the fact that anyone in a retirement fund or program that utilizes mutual funds stands a good chance of being a part owner of the very corporation they hate and are pocketing their share of it's evil profits. While our problems are unslovable, "A Clockwork Orange" Hollywood-style movie solution aside, they are manageable and we seem to be making progress ever so slowly.

I think any alien encounter we might have would be treated with cautious friendship until such time as events or gained knowledge indicated otherwise. The mere fact that they got here from who knows where is a good indication that 'Ol Zunxlep the Alien has something more potent than an AKM sitting in the gun rack of his intergalactic pickup truck.

Mark
8th March 2010, 09:42
Yep, any alien civilisation travelling many light years to reach us will have technology far beyond anything we can imagine so we'd be hard pushed to exploit them!

However I've got 'District 9' on my DVD rental list which looks like it explores just that possibility!

Brown, Jon Brow
8th March 2010, 10:57
Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum will save us.

MrJan
8th March 2010, 12:37
I think that it'd be pretty much exactly like District 9.

anthonyvop
8th March 2010, 14:42
It would be like Star Wars. Lets make a deal. Trade, Technology exchanges and politics.

If it turned out like Avatar or Star Trek I would join the revolt swiftly to end those repressive regimes.

wedge
8th March 2010, 15:03
If it happened under Dubya humanity would be wiped out by now.

Mark in Oshawa
8th March 2010, 15:05
I suspect they will dictate the terms to us. I don't think we are going to have much say......

Mark
8th March 2010, 15:34
If mankind were ever to 'meet' aliens the most likely place will be probes exploring planets / moons in our own solar system such as Europa.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th March 2010, 15:54
5bLjqxYlZVM

Dave B
8th March 2010, 15:56
I, for one, would welcome our new insect overlords.

MrJan
8th March 2010, 16:32
I, for one, would welcome our new insect overlords.

Share the same views as yuor brother Kent then?

anthonyvop
8th March 2010, 16:50
If it happened under Dubya humanity would be wiped out by now.

If it happens under Obama he would apologize, bow to them and then institute a tax to redistribute wealth to our new open-minded, progressive friends.

V12
9th March 2010, 15:33
An alien would land pretending to be an intergalactic gangster by the name of Baby Fark McGeezax on the run after escaping from Space Jail, fake his own death while on Earth and the humans would hoard the stolen Space Cash left on his ship from the Space Cops who come to investigate, Earth thereby failing the "new planet test" and being sealed off from the rest of the universe by a giant force field for all eternity as punishment :)

Rudy Tamasz
9th March 2010, 15:44
I would try to mix with their women, if they are tolerably decent looking. Women of Earth start getting on my nerves with constant b#$%ing and attempts to dominate. Maybe alien chicks are different.

Captain VXR
9th March 2010, 18:30
I think a lot of humanity would be very intolerant - just look at racism, sexism, homophobia, religious intolerance, x supremacists etc and how many isolated cultures and races, when discovered were savagely persecuted/driven off their land/massacred and so on, even within the last 200 years

Captain VXR
9th March 2010, 18:31
I would try to mix with their women, if they are tolerably decent looking. Women of Earth start getting on my nerves with constant b#$%ing and attempts to dominate. Maybe alien chicks are different.

Even if they looked like this and were not genetically compatible:
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/07_03/oodPA_468x693.jpg

Mark in Oshawa
9th March 2010, 22:59
I think a lot of humanity would be very intolerant - just look at racism, sexism, homophobia, religious intolerance, x supremacists etc and how many isolated cultures and races, when discovered were savagely persecuted/driven off their land/massacred and so on, even within the last 200 years

We wouldn't be tolerant if they tried to just take us over. We might be tolerant if they were good and understanding about how dumb we are, but lets face it, if they are coming to us, I don't think we humans will define the relationship.

Rudy Tamasz
10th March 2010, 09:16
Even if they looked like this and were not genetically compatible:

No, more like this:

http://www.yesbutnobutyes.com/archives/2006/12/the_hottest_ali.html

Mark
10th March 2010, 09:41
Of course the likelihood of them being around 6 foot tall with two arms and two legs is small. Just because most aliens on TV have to be played by human actors!