PDA

View Full Version : It's time for that thread nobody cares..(Oscars)

A.F.F.
6th March 2010, 18:44
... YES, it's the Oscar time again :hot:

Best picture:
What I think: Avatar
What I hope: Hurt Locker

Best Actor:
What I think: Jeff Bridges
What I hope: Jeremy Renner

Best Actress:
What I think: Meryl Streep
What I hope: Sandra Bullock

Best Supporting Actor:
What I think: Christoph Waltz
What I hope: Woody Harrelson

Best Supportin Actress:
What I think: Mo' Nique
What I hope: Maggie Gyllenhaal

Best Director:
What I think: James Cameron
What I hope: Kathryn Bigelow

Let's see after the show how wrong I was again .. :D

Mark in Oshawa
7th March 2010, 08:00
Other than not picking Jeff Bridges, I am all for your picks. That said, I wont be watching. I will be working on a broadcast of what might be the last home game of my Oshawa Generals tomorrow night. A good hockey game beats watching Hollywood make a lot of speeches showing how full of themselves they are.

A.F.F.
7th March 2010, 09:04
Other than not picking Jeff Bridges, I am all for your picks. That said, I wont be watching. I will be working on a broadcast of what might be the last home game of my Oshawa Generals tomorrow night. A good hockey game beats watching Hollywood make a lot of speeches showing how full of themselves they are.

I'm all for that glamour Oscars' bring and as a movie zombie, I also love how they celebrate the artform. But it has nothing to do with the art itself. It's about lobbing a handfull of moviemakers every year and rewarding the best... best in politics. And if you f**k up like that French producer of the Hurt Locker who got caught sending numerous of e-mails to the members of Academy where he hinted to vote his movie instead of James Cameron's... the result was he got banned to show up. Even if he win.

But like I said, I love the show itself :D

F1boat
7th March 2010, 10:26
Hurt Locker will win all, but I keep my fingers crossed for Avatar.

markabilly
7th March 2010, 14:43
I have never thought too much of the oscars. There are too many great movies that go for naught, while politically connected films often score big... then slide off beneath the waves of obscurity where they should go forever

Someone once said to truly have any chance of recognizing the greatness of a movie, the oscars should be limited to movies that are ten years old.....in other words, this year oscars should only concern movies made in 1999, not 2009.

As to best picture, hurt locker is a joke, with its silly ass, clueless attempt at portraying military life under stress and fire, although it makes good fodder for those with emotional fantasies of the liberal leaning Walter Mitty types as to what they WANT it to be, rather than face what is was.
Typical of someone like Boal who attempts to write about something he has never experienced....just Walter Mitty for sure...

In terms of realism, which is what it is supposed to be a movie about, Avatar is more realistic....and the movie which is pure sci fi, so we need not worry about such things, is District 9, a far more deserving movie than either Avatar or Hurt locker

gadjo_dilo
8th March 2010, 13:16
Hurt Locker was last night on TV. Unfortunately I felt asleep after 45 min.

anthonyvop
8th March 2010, 14:38
The Hangover or Paul Blart Mall cop were better movies that the formulaic, propaganda films Avatar or the Hurt Locker.

Of the Nominated Precious or the Blindside were the best.