PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 North American Prospects under 20

MDS
4th March 2010, 20:03
Last year I did the top 10 under 20, and while the field is better than it probably has a right to be Paul Tracy was right, there were only 4 drivers from North America at Barber, why, because while the League has a “Road to Indy” there isn't any driver development programs from the ICS teams.

Son of F-1 and CART driver Derek Daly, Conor has been working his way up the ladder system in strong style, and he's building up a sponsor base, but no calls from the league. His father recently told the Indy Business Journal “We’ve never heard anything from anybody in the IRL. Not one team, and no one from the league office. No one ever expressed any interest in his ambitions or to inquire about his development. Nothing.

It's a chicken and the egg thing, but in order to have a driver development program you must first have teams with enough sponsorship that they can not only pick their own driver, but can think long term. You need teams with multi-year deals with sponsors, and sponsors who are willing to chip in to help young drivers. Team Penske couldn't do that because their sponsor cannot have any contact with kids under the age of 18. Chip own driver development program hasn't led anywhere, and Andretti Autosport could potentially turn into a great development team, but needs more money.

We need more young talent, and the following is my best ten 20 and under North American open wheel prospects.

Robert Wickens
Nationality: Canadian

If the ICS is going to have Canadian races then it needs to find the next Paul Tracy, and while few have his personality, Robert Wickens arguably has his skills. He's won in every category he's ever been in, Formula BMW, Champ Atlantics (At its most recent peak), A1GP and F3 Euroseries. He's a F-1 hopeful and recently got dropped by Red Bull. The odds of him making into that series are remote, but he could have a stunning career in the ICS. He's trying to go GP3 racing this year, but is also looking at making an ICS start at his home town race in Toronto because of a gap in the GP3 schedule.

Jonathan Edwards
Nationality: American

Like Wickens he's a Red Bull cast off, but he's probably got the most intensive training of any young American open wheel prospect. It looked like he was going to continue down the Road to Indy this year with Newman Wachs Racing, but they've gone to GTR. Someone please get this kid an FIL ride this year.

Conner De Phillipi

The kid's won championships at every level he's competed in. He has a good mix of American and European training and is starting his first year in Mazda Star this year. He's still a few years away from the ICS, but he's got game.

Sergio Perez
Nationality: Mexican

Hopes to be the first Mexican F-1 driver in over two decades, he has pretty impressive resume, having won a GP2 race, and a Brit F3 championship, he's also not afriad of contact, which can be a good thing. He's not looking at the ICS, but getting into F-1 is tough.

Kevin LaCroix
Nationality: Canadian

Former Star Mazda runner up, former Formula BMW runner up. He's rumored to be one of the drivers that Tags and FAZZT are looking at for limited program this year. His lack of oval experience might keep him off the track at Indy, but he could show up at both the Canadian races this year.

Alexander Rossi

The “Great White Hope” if you will of F-1. He's won on every level he's ever entered, he's well spoken, fast, attractive, he's what the ICS needs, but probably won't get.

Conor Daly
Age 18

If the ICS doesn't get Conor Daly then something horribly wrong the system, and there apparently is. So he's probably going to head to Europe and have a difficult time making into F-1.

Josef Newgarden

Born in NASCAR crazy Nashville Josef wants to be the next American F-1 driver. He started young, has a lot of experience and is working his way up the European Ladder system, finishing second in Formula Ford last year. He's a great American talent and has had some contact with some ICS teams. Newgarden is the real deal.

Patrick Barrett

While he doesn't have a stunning resume, he has a good mix of open wheel and road course training, has won some lower-level championships but has stalled out because of money.

Gabriel “Gabby” Chaves

Gabby is a Columbian-American racer with a really stunning background for someone so young, she's got a ton of Karting hardware and she's the reigning Formula BMW champion, she's going to be racing in the Italian F3 series, but I think she'll find a glass ceiling in Europe, and with a year or two in the FIL she could be an ICS standout. She's worked with Emo in the past.

Mark in Oshawa
4th March 2010, 22:41
Interesting list. 5 dollars says maybe 2 will get a sniff at FIL. Wickens seems to be the front runner I would think with Edwards, but I just think the budget isn't there to train guys, which makes the problem worse.

Scotty G.
4th March 2010, 23:00
You seem to have left off North American racers like Cole Whitt and Chad Boat, both of whom have bright futures in racing.

Oval racers are people too. :p Some would be really good Indy Car drivers, if Indy Car had a clue. ;)

MDS
4th March 2010, 23:46
Cole Whitt has been pretty open in saying he wants to go to NASCAR. Chat Boat hasn't run a road course race in his life, and if drivers like Sarah Fisher, Ed Carpenter and others have show us its a lot easier for road course drivers to adapt to ovals before oval drivers adapt to road courses.

Both of them are on the NASCAR development path, but yeah, they'd make solid additions to the field some day, and are only a year or two of development away from being credible rookies.

champcarray
5th March 2010, 00:29
I see that you list Gabby Chavez as American. The very few items I have read about him always seem to include the phrase "a native of Colombia." Did he move here to further is racing career?

MDS
5th March 2010, 01:27
I could me mistaken but I believe Gabby has duel citizenship. Her father is a pilot for Delta, I think, but she is a woman.

MDS
5th March 2010, 03:20
15 is a little young to be on my Radar, but Andretti Autosport has signed Sage Karam to its F2000 program. Hopefully things are going to get better.

http://www.andrettiautosport.com/

In a perfect world AA and three or four other teams would all have driver development programs so that talented young drivers didn't have to pay their way through the system, because when it comes to North American talent the ICS has no farm system.

Scotty G.
5th March 2010, 05:03
1. Cole Whitt has been pretty open in saying he wants to go to NASCAR.

2. Chat Boat hasn't run a road course race in his life, and if drivers like Sarah Fisher, Ed Carpenter and others have show us its a lot easier for road course drivers to adapt to ovals before oval drivers adapt to road courses.

1. Do you blame him?

2. I like Sarah Fisher and Ed Carpenter. But they were just midpack talents in USAC. The really good racers in USAC would be fine on road courses, once they got a little experience with them. Stewart, Gordon and Kahne are 3 of the better road racers in NASCAR, and they hadn't run any of them either when they were in USAC.

And guys like Bobby Doornbos, Rafa Matos and Nelson Phillippe showed last year, just how how "easy" the oval racing stuff is, when you don't have much experience with it.

Both disciplines are tough, when you only grow up doing one thing and don't have much experience being versatile.

Scotty G.
5th March 2010, 05:10
15 is a little young to be on my Radar, but Andretti Autosport has signed Sage Karam to its F2000 program. Hopefully things are going to get better.

http://www.andrettiautosport.com/

In a perfect world AA and three or four other teams would all have driver development programs so that talented young drivers didn't have to pay their way through the system, because when it comes to North American talent the ICS has no farm system.

If you read this PR release, this kid is paying his way into the system.

You are right though...the ICS farm system is a total joke and a complete failure. I have no idea why anyone would even bother at this point, wasting their money racing there.

Winning races there, doesn't matter. Winning championships really don't matter.

Mario Romancini, who finishes 6th in the Lights points, buys his way into the series.

Sabasten Saavedra, who was the 2nd best driver on his own team in Lights, buys his way into a Indy 500 seat.

The actual champion of Indy Lights? Busy getting ready for sports cars, I guess, at this point.

Placid
5th March 2010, 14:08
Another honorable mention goes to Michael Lewis who will compete in the Formula BMW Europe series. He finished as the top rookie in the now-defunct Formula BMW America series. He will compete with
the US Project this year.

MDS
5th March 2010, 15:50
And guys like Bobby Doornbos, Rafa Matos and Nelson Phillippe showed last year, just how how "easy" the oval racing stuff is, when you don't have much experience with it.

I noticed you left guys like Will Power and Mario Moreas off that list, both of whom had little or no oval experience and have done rather well for themselves. Mario had a string of top five finishes at the end of the year.

Mark in Oshawa
5th March 2010, 17:32
I noticed you left guys like Will Power and Mario Moreas off that list, both of whom had little or no oval experience and have done rather well for themselves. Mario had a string of top five finishes at the end of the year.
Will Power doesn't fit his argument or template....he is like Belushi's character in "Animal House".....he is on a roll, don't hit him with facts.

champcarray
5th March 2010, 18:07
Gabby Chavez is a "he." Road & Track magazine had to print an apologetic correction after accidentally calling him a "she" last year.

champcarray
5th March 2010, 20:09
R&T's correction.

MDS
5th March 2010, 20:56
Gabby Chavez is a "he." Road & Track magazine had to print an apologetic correction after accidentally calling him a "she" last year.

Whoops, he does look like a girl though.

Scotty G.
5th March 2010, 22:05

Power was struggling mightely in 2008, trying to figure things out.

Getting with Penske's engineered excellence (which would make most competent drivers look good) last year didnt' hurt his oval learning curve. ;)

Power is a good shoe, I will give you that.

I still don't buy into Moraes. He was awful in 2008. He did have some nice results in 2009 with KV, but he is still someone most drivers are VERY wary of on a oval.

I don't think Moraes is any kind of major talent.

MDS
5th March 2010, 23:04
I don't think Moraes is any kind of major talent.

I'll admit the jury is still out on Mario, but he's show some flashes of brilliance, and was extremely consistent at the end of the year. He got into this sport at 19, and he's 21 now, and I think 2010 could be a breakthrough year for him. I'm still hoping he comes back with KVRT/Lotus because he could be something special.

But, that said, it looks like he'll be missing Brazil, and likely most, if not all of the season.

Placid
8th March 2010, 01:55
Let us not forget Mexican Esteban Gutierrez who has recently tested for BMW Sauber and he was the 2009 BMW Europe champ. He along with Rossi will compete in the inagural GP3 series. During their 2-day tests at Paul Ricard this week, Rossi and Gutierrez ended theri testing going 1-2 on the
2nd day.

Link: http://www.gp3series.com/news/2010-pre-season/Rossi-makes-it-three-out-of-four/