PDA

View Full Version : Good Start To Rally Club Season

farmz
27th February 2007, 20:30
GOOD START TO RALLY CLUB SEASON

Praise for route-setters from rally veteran

Navigational rally veteran Hal Hunte had high praise for the organisers of the recent Toyo Tires February Safari, which kicked off the Barbados Rally Club's (BRC) 50th Anniversary season. After an evenly-matched contest, Chris Armstrong and Wayne Clarke emerged winners in their Suzuki Samurai, with a total of 328 penalties - third on the first route, they then won route two.
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2050/feb074x4armstrong1qp9.th.jpg (http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=feb074x4armstrong1qp9.jpg)
Armstrong and Clarke on their way to victory near Guinea, St.John.

Derek Gill and 2006 Champion Navigator Andrew Croney (Suzuki Jimny) had led after route one, but slipped back during the afternoon to end the day second on 551 penalties; they finished fewer than 50 penalties ahead of third-placed Mike Ward and Willie Hinds (Jeep Wrangler), who put in a consistent performance, second and third respectively on the two routes.
A strong showing on route two - they finished second - moved Mark Western and Robin Hinds (Suzuki Samurai) into fourth place, ahead of Champion Navigator and Driver of 2005, Neil Barnard and Barry Gale (Mitsubishi L200). Highest-placed novice crew of Ryan Corbin and Justin Edwards (Toyota Hilux) finished eighth, while Lisa Roett was the highest-placed of the five female competitors entered, finishing ninth, navigating for John Sealy in his Land Rover Defender.
Returning to action after a considerable break was veteran navigator Hal Hunte, who won the June Rally in 1986 in a Mitsubishi Lancer Turbo with Phil Tallboys; on the Toyo Tires February Safari, he finished 10th in a Toyota Land Cruiser with Doug Armstrong, another returning to competitive action.
Afterwards, Hunte had high praise for the route-setters and organisers. He noted "Compared to the last time I did a rally, this one was of a very high standard. The use of un-manned positions is one area that was new to me while, although the new maps were not too difficult, I found some of the tracks almost impossible to see without magnification! Perhaps the quality of my eyes has deteriorated over the years; it would certainly be a big challenge at night.
"Getting into the groove was not too difficult, although I did not attempt to time on this occasion. I can see that, without instruments, this will also be a big challenge. The tests were great and, if there had been more rain, then they would have been a lot more challenging.
"All said, I think the route-setters did an excellent job; in a couple of instances, where I went wrong, the route worked out . . . even better, since I was not even aware I had done something wrong! Keep up the good work - I hope to be back."
The route, started at Toyo Tires dealer McEnearney Quality Inc's premises in Wildey, St Michael, and ended at the BCTSA Clubhouse at Searles, Christ Church, where the prize-giving was also held on the Tuesday after the event. It was set by Peter Bradshaw, assisted by Kirk King, and used approximately 70 per cent Tulip and 30 per cent BRC navigation.
At the prize-giving, Colin Goodman and Darrin White won the first Sportsmanship Award of the season, which means their entry fee and insurance for the next event will be paid by Autozone Inc. The top three overall, and highest-placed female competitor, received trophies from the BRC, while the highest-placed novice crew received trophies compliments of Neptune Tours.
The second round of the 2007 BRC Safari Championship will be the 50th Anniversary June Rally over the weekend of June 9 & 10.

Toyo Tires February Safari, February 11
2007 BRC Safari Championship * round 1

Results - overall

1st Chris Armstrong/Wayne Clarke (Suzuki Samurai), 328 penalties
2nd Derek Gill/Andrew Croney (Suzuki Jimny), 551 pens
3rd Michael Ward/Willie Hinds (Jeep Wrangler), 599 pens
4th Mark Western/Robin Hinds (Yardman/Kar Parts Store Suzuki Samurai), 715 pens
5th Barry Gale/Neil Barnard (Nishikoi Fish Foods Mitsubishi L200), 795 pens
6th Stewart Gill/Bruce Wilkie (Suzuki Samurai), 852 pens
7th Justin Cuke/Jeremy Croney (Simpson Motors/JCB Excavators/Yokahama Tyres Suzuki Samurai), 899 pens
8th Ryan Corbin/Dustin Edwards (Toyota Hilux), 960 pens
9th John Sealy/Lisa Roett (Land Rover Defender), 1012 pens
10th Doug Armstrong/Hallam Hunte (Toyota Land Cruiser), 1022 pens

Novice class

1st Corbin/Edwards
2nd Sean Mottley/Kreigg Yearwood (Suzuki Vitara)
3rd Rory Gray/Dane McConney (Land Rover)

Highest-placed female competitor

Lisa Roett

Sportsmanship Award

Colin Goodman/Darrin White (Suzuki Samurai)