PDA

View Full Version : How much do you know about India?

CaptainRaiden
4th March 2010, 10:44
I ask this question because something amusing happened to me recently. I am in Romania right now, and one of the "educated" guys here asked me, "So, it must be nice for you here, to see so many cars on the street, right?" :mark:

I burst out laughing, couldn't stop really, and said, "No, actually it's peaceful." (Anybody who's been stuck in Mumbai rush hour, knows what I'm talking about. Plus the fact that 6000 new cars are sold every month in that city alone.)

Then there was a woman who asked me, "You have to keep the windows in your house closed, right? Otherwise monkeys come into your house and steal food." I didn't know what to answer. Thought about screaming "Awooga booga" and run after her, but that would only cement her doubts. These are only two of the many "incidents." :rolleyes:

I mean jeez! It seems most of the people from this side of the globe have a vague idea of India, which is probably what they learned in their history class about stuff from 100 years ago, I think. And I don't think "Slumdog Millionaire" helped at all either. So, I guess I wanted to know the vague ideas guys might have who have never been to India from what you see on TV or whatever.

Mark
4th March 2010, 11:09
I ask this question because something amusing happened to me recently. I am in Romania right now, and one of the "educated" guys here asked me, "So, it must be nice for you here, to see so many cars on the street, right?" :mark:

I have not been to India, but the impression I get of Indian cities is they are very busy, with lots of cars, motorbikes and people toing a froing. But not a great amount of traffic rules or regulation!

I mean jeez! It seems most of the people from this side of the globe have a vague idea of India, which is probably what they learned in their history class about stuff from 100 years ago, I think. And I don't think "Slumdog Millionaire" helped at all either. So, I guess I wanted to know the vague ideas guys might have who have never been to India from what you see on TV or whatever.

Mubai certainly is a world class city. But I am of the impression that poverty in India is definitely an issue. Not saying that it's the only place in the world to have this problem.

Donney
4th March 2010, 12:00
I have never been to India but my impressions are_

-Busy noisy cities, lots of cars and motorbikes
-Overcrowed trains
-Difficult to understand variety of English
-Lovely people, at least they look lovely.
-Complicated social system
-Religion everywhere.
-Spicy delicious food
-Hot and humid weather.

Probably a collection of all the cliches... I know.

CaptainRaiden
4th March 2010, 12:01
I have not been to India, but the impression I get of Indian cities is they are very busy, with lots of cars, motorbikes and people toing a froing. But not a great amount of traffic rules or regulation!

I'd say that would be a fair assumption of the smaller cities, where traffic rules are as good as non-existent. In bigger metropolis cities, things have really picked up, and from what I've seen in some places in Europe, India is on par with some of them, in fact even ahead on some counts, as crazy as that may sound. I'm talking here about malls, restaurants, certain streets, educational institutions etc.

Mubai certainly is a world class city. But I am of the impression that poverty in India is definitely an issue. Not saying that it's the only place in the world to have this problem.

Yep, poverty certainly is an issue, and that is probably the thing that gets the most media coverage, and so the foreign countries think the whole of India is like this, which is far from the truth. Almost every country has poverty, but probably the problem in India is a bit blown up out of proportion in media.

ShiftingGears
4th March 2010, 12:08
Their obsession with cricket borders on hysteria. Bernie is jealous.

Sonic
4th March 2010, 12:25
I can point at it on a map! :D

I think that's a common thing to experience when you travel anywhere, there are misconceptions about almost all countries based on outdated information or national stereotypes. Because clearly all Australians wear hats with corks, all Frenchman have onions round their neck and all scots are stingy with their money.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go and dry out my teabags ready for another use this evening! :D ;)

Mark
4th March 2010, 12:36
all Frenchman have onions round their neck

Well that's actually true :D

Brown, Jon Brow
4th March 2010, 12:49
India?

Hindu's. 2nd most populous country on Earth. Dangerous roads, but they drive on the right side of the car ;) . Lots of Cricket. Potential war with Pakistan. Fast growing economy, when GDP per capita catches up with the west their economy will dwarf the USA. Emerging superpower.

CaptainRaiden
4th March 2010, 13:16
-Spicy delicious food
-Hot and humid weather.

Those are two of the things I probably miss the most while having soup and bread freezing my a$$ off. :D

Their obsession with cricket borders on hysteria. Bernie is jealous.

And you mean to say Australia is not obsessed with cricket? :p I never got into that whole "cricket is our religion" thing, always was a casual viewer. Don't understand it.

I think that's a common thing to experience when you travel anywhere, there are misconceptions about almost all countries based on outdated information or national stereotypes.

I guess these stupid tourism ads made by Indian tourism don't clear up the picture too much either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNWeBVBqo2c

According to that, India is a big flat desert with mountains and seas, that looks something out of a travel book written in 1908, and zilch population. But then again, I guess by showing the "exoticness " of the country, they attract more foreign tourists and more money.

Hondo
4th March 2010, 16:39
Never been.

Perceptions:

98% percent of the world's customer service call centers are located there and you can't understand any of them.

You have elephants.

Sometimes, your elephants get really pissed and stomp on stuff.

Your poor folks make our poor folks look rich.

Starving people sitting next to an untouched potential hamburger on the hoof because a religion says it may be grandpa.

A rapidly growing economy that will be stopped or destroyed by the poor and religious that are being left further behind.

Now a major consumer, like China, of oil which is the real cause of higher oil prices, not George Bush. With more countries needing ever increasing amounts of oil, the bidding on the available oil is obviously going to go up.

Really poor knife steel.

Very polite, pleasant people when met face to face.

Very shy and timid when you encounter them broke down on the side of the road in the middle of the night. Very happy when they figure out you're trying to help them, not kill them. Very grateful when you drop him, the wife, and the sleeping kids at their destination. Will foolishly try to pay you. Forget it Bubba, it's just something we do around here.

Mark in Oshawa
4th March 2010, 17:46
India? I probably understand more about it than most since the Indian community in Canada is MASSIVE.

Let's see, 50 odd languages/dialects, numerous religions, sometimes with not smooth intereaction (Sikhs and Hindu's don't get always get along).

The Caste system, which still exists for some.

The poverty, but also the myth that all of India is poor is not valid at all. BUSY cities, rather slipshod respect for the rules of the road. Overcrowded and sometimes unsafe trains.

A growing industrial base.

The meal distribution system for home lunches of Mumbai that once won an award for its efficiency that is operated by people who are illiterate. (forget the name but saw it on a special about India and was faciniated)

India is nuts for cricket like us Canadians love hockey.

India has a great amount of diversity of geography.

India is a democracy, although it is still maturing in how it views its role in the world.

Canadians of Indian ancestry are very misunderstood except for the great Russell Peters, who pokes fun at that ancestry while educating us. You Tube Mr. Peters, he may not teach you much about India, but he will teach you a lot about bigotry....and how stupid it is.

Captain VXR
4th March 2010, 22:29
Romania was isolated until about 1989/1990 ish and many Romanians probably have never met Indians before, and would have some very odd ideas about India, perhaps what my idea of many countries that I have little or no knowledge about is similarily stupid, for example I know sweet ____ all about Macedonia, yet have some vague and probably very far off the mark ideas about the place. Hope this helps :)

gloomyDAY
5th March 2010, 02:41
Tell someone to pick up the line for tech support, please!

I've been waiting for ages.

Storm
5th March 2010, 05:31

Not really cliches -
-Busy noisy cities, lots of cars and motorbikes - true
-Overcrowed trains - very true
-Difficult to understand variety of English -
not really - people from the south or from rural areas? maybe yes but most urban, educated people will speak decent English..

-Lovely people, at least they look lovely. - mostly true

-Complicated social system - true
-Religion everywhere. - unfortunately very true
-Spicy delicious food - :up:
-Hot and humid weather. - for the most part - but we have a wide variety of weather here and the best season in the world - Monsoon :D

Mark in Oshawa
5th March 2010, 05:33
Romania was isolated until about 1989/1990 ish and many Romanians probably have never met Indians before, and would have some very odd ideas about India, perhaps what my idea of many countries that I have little or no knowledge about is similarily stupid, for example I know sweet ____ all about Macedonia, yet have some vague and probably very far off the mark ideas about the place. Hope this helps :)

I was going to point this out, but didn't want to for fears someone might jump on me.

I do know this much. The real India, as opposed to the one in many of our minds is likely full of greater triumphs, greater lows and greater contrasts than we can imagine.

IT is the next superpower, and we will all know more India as time goes on.

Eki
5th March 2010, 07:07
I had a class mate in high school who spent a year as an exchange student in the US. He told that his American class mates had hard time believing that Finland has electric lighting. In reality, there has been electric lighting in Finland since 1880s.

Azumanga Davo
5th March 2010, 07:58
You mean Mind Your Language WASN'T a documentary? :eek:

pino
5th March 2010, 08:53

-Busy noisy cities, lots of cars and motorbikes
-Overcrowed trains
-Difficult to understand variety of English
-Lovely people, at least they look lovely.
-Complicated social system
-Religion everywhere.
-Spicy delicious food
-Hot and humid weather.

I've lived in Sri Lanka and Goa for 6 months and I can confirm :

-Busy noisy cities, lots of cars and motorbikes : Yes

-Overcrowed trains : Yes

-Difficult to understand variety of English : No

-Lovely people : Yes

-Complicated social system : Yes

-Religion everywhere : Yes

-Spicy delicious food : Yes

-Hot and humid weather : Yes

I love India and I will return there at least one more time :D

ShiftingGears
5th March 2010, 09:45
And you mean to say Australia is not obsessed with cricket? :p I never got into that whole "cricket is our religion" thing, always was a casual viewer. Don't understand it.

I think when politicians start heavily weighing into cricket for public support it clearly borders on 'too obsessed'. Australia is obsessed, but not to that extent :p

gadjo_dilo
5th March 2010, 11:25
I was going to point this out, but didn't want to for fears someone might jump on me.

If you were thinking of me you did a clever move :laugh:

Donney
5th March 2010, 11:49
I've lived in Sri Lanka and Goa for 6 months and I can confirm :

-Busy noisy cities, lots of cars and motorbikes : Yes

-Overcrowed trains : Yes

-Difficult to understand variety of English : No

-Lovely people : Yes

-Complicated social system : Yes

-Religion everywhere : Yes

-Spicy delicious food : Yes

-Hot and humid weather : Yes

I'm glad to know I am not that wrong. :D

Rudy Tamasz
5th March 2010, 12:56
When I worked at an American restaurant, Hindus (and Pakistanis as well) were among the worst tippers.

Storm
5th March 2010, 13:28

You better do that while I'm alive ;)

gadjo_dilo
5th March 2010, 13:41

Ha!
You don't need to meet an indian to know about them. Besides, before 1989 indain movies were probably the most popular here. I remember that whenever a cinema thatre had to sold more tickets they rescheduled indian movies. The most popular was Awara ( and I'm ashamed to say that Raj Kappor is more popular here than Buddha :laugh: but intelectuals might also know something about Rabindranath Tagore - sorry for spelling) . We also have a singer who used to sing indian songs ( Narghita ) and a large gypsy ethnic who's blamed for all the bad things and about who we frequently ask why they don't go back to their native India.

If X-cutioner stays in Romania until sunday night he'll be able to watch a indian movie on tv ( on National TV ).

Now I'm the average romanian citizen and this what I know about India:
- I don't mention the position, neighbours, main cities, Gange, language, caste system, population,religion, things that are known by any school boy
-One of the oldest civilizations and in my opinion the spiritual centre of the world
- former british colony
- has a rivality with Pakistan and from a book by Manohar Malgonkar ( don't know to translate the title, but it's about the river Gange ) now I know why
- I've heard about Buddha, Krishna, Vishnu, Ramayana, Mahabharata, Upanishade, vedic poems, Taj Mahal and...Kama Sutra
- the cows are sacred and I saw a documentary about a temple of rats
- as a romanian I had the chance to read books by Mircea Eliade a guy who spent a time in India and wrote famous books about the history of religion. He wrote a book about the imposible love between him and the daughter of his guru- Maitreyi
- I know about Gandhis: Mahatma, Indira, Rajiv
- women wear saris
- gurkha's bravery
- they are great with computers ( romanians are close to them :laugh. )
- they developed a real movie industry in Bollywood but at the same time they made great art films ( in Madras studios? )
- in their movies it's forbidden to kiss and for a reason that I miss the action is cut by numberless dances and songs.
- the climate is imposible, warm with humidity, has a rainy season ( musonic? )
- in the past ( hopefully :laugh: ) widows were burnt with their dead husbands
- one of the 6 schools of hindi philosophy is yoga. I have a few books at home
- I think the concept of karma is also related to indian phylosophy-religion
- they play polo and grass hockey

X-cutioner, the remark of the " educated" guy ( noticed the pejorative tone ) wasn't stupid. Bucharest is a city with 2 mil inhabitants and 1,5 mil.cars on streets with more holes in the asphalt than craters on the moon and the traffic is a nightmare for everyone who comes from a civilized country. The lady with the monkeys has probably seen a Discovery documentary and mixed the places but tell her about Awara mu, Article 420, Vandana, A flower and 2 gardeners, The chain of memories, My friends, the elephants and she'll remember about India :laugh:

Bonus: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2619350/avaramu/

India is a fascinating place, I wish I'll go there (although the weather will probably kill me ). First years after 1989 I bought a lot of books about India and yoga but unfortunately "the transition to capitalism" destroyed the last grain of emotion in my poor soul.
These days I watch a brasilian telenovela (Caminho das Indias( and I hope to improve my knowledge despite the stupid plot.

Eki
5th March 2010, 15:56
- gurkha's bravery

I thought the Gurkha were from Nepal or Burma.

CaptainRaiden
5th March 2010, 16:04
Ha!
You don't need to meet an indian to know about them. Besides, before 1989 indain movies were probably the most popular here. I remember that whenever a cinema thatre had to sold more tickets they rescheduled indian movies.

Well, actually you do need to meet an Indian to know about India. Before I came to Romania, I used to think it was a part of Russia or something. Yeah, I know, my geography sucks, but what the hell.

and a large gypsy ethnic who's blamed for all the bad things and about who we frequently ask why they don't go back to their native India.

I really don't get that. I mean apart from a slight resemblance to skin color, they have absolutely NOTHING in common with modern Indians, given the fact that they are part of the Banjaras, the gypsy tribe in India, and they spread around the world more than a 1000 years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjara They do the same thing in India, living outside city lines, selling stuff, begging etc. I don't understand how India is their "native" place anymore.

In fact, the gypsies in Romania have much more in common with Romanians, but the gypsies probably are more like savages with bad teeth. But sometimes the stink of alcohol is the same.

If X-cutioner stays in Romania until sunday night he'll be able to watch a indian movie on tv ( on National TV ).

I'm here for the last one year, and have seen it many times on that channel you said. Unfortunately all crap movies and series. It's a pity they don't show the actual good Indian cinema.

Now I'm the average romanian citizen and this what I know about India:
- I don't mention the position, neighbours, main cities, Gange, language, caste system, population,religion, things that are known by any school boy

Okay, let's see on how many counts are you right.

-One of the oldest civilizations and in my opinion the spiritual centre of the world - YES
- former british colony - YES
- has a rivality with Pakistan and from a book by Manohar Malgonkar ( don't know to translate the title, but it's about the river Gange ) - I didn't get what you meant there, but the rivalry with Pakistan is over Kashmir.

- the cows are sacred and I saw a documentary about a temple of rats - That is true again, but the cow worshipping and that rat temple thingies are only in small towns and cities

- I know about Gandhis: Mahatma, Indira, Rajiv - That's pretty old information. Almost more than 20 years old.

- women wear saris - As much as Romanian women wear their traditional dresses here. But yeah, saris are more prevalent with older, more traditional women in smaller towns and cities.

A good example of modern day Indian youth would maybe be in this video. Couldn't find anything else, didn't have much time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCgIdKt43Dk

- gurkha's bravery - Gurkhas are mostly from Nepal, so they have as much to do with India, as probably you have to do with Hungary.

- they are great with computers ( romanians are close to them ) I'd say we are extremely good with computers. Probably more than half of the software engineers abroad are indians. Well, that's because of cheap labor, and because at one time, every teenager in India wanted to become a software engineer. :D

- they developed a real movie industry in Bollywood but at the same time they made great art films ( in Madras studios? ) I hate Bollywood. But it's improving. Like probably one out of 10 movies is really good, world class cinema

- in their movies it's forbidden to kiss and for a reason that I miss the action is cut by numberless dances and songs. WRONG - It's not forbidden to kiss. This was way back in the past. You need to see some new movies dude. Anyway, in the past some religious conservative groups, the self titled "tradition police" did a lot of hoolabaloo. Not anymore, well, not much.

- the climate is imposible, warm with humidity, has a rainy season ( musonic? ) My wife is Romanian and she spent a month with me in Goa (which is a coastal area, hot and humid), and she didn't wanna come back to Romania. She still dreams of going back there, and I agree with her. It's pleasant, you can stay in your shorts all year long. Much, much better than freezing at -18 degrees. ;)

- in the past widows were burnt with their dead husbands WAY back in the past. Like I said before, old times, and I mean really old times. :D

- they play polo and grass hockey Haha! Cricket dwarfs ANY other sport played in India by a HUGE margin. I mean it's not even a competition. All the other poor sports don't get ANY attention. If India is playing Pakistan or Australia, expect to have 50,000 indians packed in the stadium. Favorite national past time. I don't like it.

X-cutioner, the remark of the " educated" guy ( noticed the pejorative tone ) wasn't stupid. Bucharest is a city with 2 mil inhabitants and 1,5 mil.cars on streets with more holes in the asphalt than craters on the moon and the traffic is a nightmare for everyone who comes from a civilized country.

Oh dear, where do I start? Probably I can't express it in words, but when you spend 5 years traveling in Mumbai traffic, Bucharest feels like wilderness. As an example, the population of Mumbai city alone is more than half of the population of Romania! So, maybe you get the idea of the scale I'm talking about here.

Here are some pictures of the usual traffic jams in Mumbai:

http://frantisekreka.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/india-mumbai-traffic-jam-best.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_u98MMCu4wA4/SuNTsFydXwI/AAAAAAAAAQ8/LiWbkmP2wNw/s320/Mumbai-Traffic_Flickr.jpg

Now, moving onto the "educated" guy remark. The guy who asked me that question is the director of a mining safety standards company, and a doctor, and is "supposed" to be very educated. That was all I meant by that. I figured he would have better general knowledge of the world outside Romania.

The lady has seen a lot of indian movies, documentaries and stuff, but again, like many people around here, her knowledge of India is outdated by almost 30 years or so.

India is a fascinating place, I wish I'll go there (although the weather will probably kill me ).

One of my friends who works for an ad agency in India, had a Romanian guy called "Liviu Drangu" come over with his wife, supposed to stay for 2 months, stayed for one year, bought all kinds of $hit and went back. Much like my wife, they loved the weather. Not the food though, too spicy for them. :D

These days I watch a brasilian telenovela (Caminho das Indias( and I hope to improve my knowledge despite the stupid plot.

I saw the ad for that on TV, and I have to say that is probably one of the weirdest things I have seen in my lifetime, Brazilians wearing indian dresses in a traditional indian family setup, speaking in Portuguese. :eek:

CaptainRaiden
5th March 2010, 16:08
I thought the Gurkha were from Nepal or Burma.

You're right. Gurkhas are from Nepal and some parts of Northern India where they migrated.

bowler
6th March 2010, 04:42
I lived there for six months.

The most frustrating and fascinating country I have been to.

You hate India for the first 14 days, then love it forever.

So many contrasts, so many people, such good food.

Way too hard to describe the complexities and simplicity that exist with everything you do. So sophisticated and primitive.

The pressures of such a growing economy are felt everywhere.

I loved it

Storm
8th March 2010, 08:19
Gurkhas are from Nepal but they are still part of the Indian Army ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11_Gorkha_Rifles

Gadjo_dilo - you should visit us one day and no the weather will not kill you! (try to come between June-Aug or Nov-Feb)

pino
8th March 2010, 08:33
You better do that while I'm alive ;)

I will, count on that ;)

Eki
8th March 2010, 09:09
Speaking of the Gurkhas, ex-Gurkhas who have served more than 4 years in the British Army were recently given the right to settle in the UK if they wish. It was the right to do, IMO.

http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/

gadjo_dilo
8th March 2010, 12:53
X-ecutioner, I started a long reply but finally I gave up because I think it's in vain.
You're annoyed that people don't know much about your country but at the same time you admit that your knowledge about others is quite poor.
I have a feeling that in your reply you're reproaching me that my knowledge of India is based on old information. Might be true but I have no interest for its present, It's the past and old traditions of your country that fascinates me. At the end of the day I think I know a bit about the great things/personalities of India. Do you think that present days can add something of any value?

P.S. About the "educated" guy. It's weird that you're living here for a year and haven't noticed that a high position in a company ( esp. in state companies ) and a title have almost nothing to do with general knowledge. :laugh:

Mark
8th March 2010, 13:16
I get the impression that most people in India speak at least two languages i.e. their 'native' language and English. And that there is no one language that unites India, although I believe Hindi is the widest spoken, but most people speak English to some degree.

CaptainRaiden
8th March 2010, 21:11
You're annoyed that people don't know much about your country but at the same time you admit that your knowledge about others is quite poor.

I don't think you really got what I was trying to say there buddy. I'm not annoyed that people don't know about India. Hell, I could care less if they knew absolute zilch about my country. I'm not a tourism agent. :p

What's annoying is the assumptions they make with absolutely no knowledge! I mean they talk like they're experts, with next to nothing to back it up. Ever heard of the phrase, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"?

X-ecutioner, I started a long reply but finally I gave up because I think it's in vain. I have a feeling that in your reply you're reproaching me that my knowledge of India is based on old information. Might be true but I have no interest for its present, It's the past and old traditions of your country that fascinates me.

Oops! I am sorry if my post came off as a harsh reproach to your post. I added smilies at the end of most of them, but the forum doesn't let me have more than 5 images in the post? So, I had to remove most of them, because most of my post was typed jokingly.

If you like the India of old, then it's absolutely fine too. Most of the tourists probably get attracted to the same thing when they come to India.

At the end of the day I think I know a bit about the great things/personalities of India. Do you think that present days can add something of any value?

I think India has come a long way since it got independence, and is in the rebuilding phase. All the corruption and bureaucracy stops it from becoming an absolute superpower. I don't know whether the present day India is better or worse than before, but I think strong assumptions based on outdated knowledge can be pretty frustrating, (especially when I have to answer stupid questions by drunk people in a bar :D ).

P.S. About the "educated" guy. It's weird that you're living here for a year and haven't noticed that a high position in a company ( esp. in state companies ) and a title have almost nothing to do with general knowledge. :laugh:

:up: I think you hit the nail bang on the head there. A security guard at the same company knew that English is India's official language, while the "Director" of the company was surprised that I speak such good English. :laugh:

CaptainRaiden
8th March 2010, 21:23
I get the impression that most people in India speak at least two languages i.e. their 'native' language and English. And that there is no one language that unites India, although I believe Hindi is the widest spoken, but most people speak English to some degree.

Yep, you're right there. In fact, in my experience of traveling in Southern India, hardly anyone speaks hindi there, especially in the smaller towns and villages. I went to a small village in Kerala for 15 days, and had to learn a bit of Malayalam to buy stuff from shops, because they understand very little Hindi or English. It's like being in a foreign country, which can sometimes be mind boggling. Even in a city like Coimbatore, I mostly had to use English to converse with people.

I guess that stands true for different regions of the country. Never traveled to far regions of North and East India, so I really don't know whether it's the same there. With 22 different languages, I don't know if there's any other country where you'll see such diversity. I guess the most interesting thing to see is how the language changes when you cross the border from one state to another. Out of all of those, I can only speak two. :(

Hondo
8th March 2010, 22:40
I left one off of mine. Extreme arrogance in those of the upper middle classes and higher. Almost a demanding tone. The Egyptians I have met have been the same, but they don't have elephants.

Eki
9th March 2010, 06:03
I left one off of mine. Extreme arrogance in those of the upper middle classes and higher. Almost a demanding tone. The Egyptians I have met have been the same, but they don't have elephants.
Americans know about India about as much as Columbus did.

CaptainRaiden
9th March 2010, 09:05
Americans know about India about as much as Columbus did.

:laugh:

That reminds me of this video I saw a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if that guy is paid to say that or is just being theatrical to get more audience for his show, but nonetheless amusing. :p

A7NUQZiWl6w

Mark in Oshawa
9th March 2010, 10:08
:laugh:

That reminds me of this video I saw a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if that guy is paid to say that or is just being theatrical to get more audience for his show, but nonetheless amusing. :p

Beck is being comical. Seems to be his MO. India really isn't his target, although some of his humour I would find pretty stupid if I was from India; his target is the naive people who think that is wrong for doctors and unionized hospital workers in the US to make they money they do when the same service is available in India. Well, that is true, and Indian doctors leave India too sometimes. I know I have seen a lot of Hindi names at the local hospital.

I do know one thing. There is a lot of misconception of what India is, because most Western cultures only know the stereotypes, and it seems there is no large community of Indians who feel obliged to spend their waking hours telling us where we are wrong. Maybe they are getting on with life, or most of the Indians here just figure they will show us how wrong we are.

Here is just one Indian who pokes large amounts of fun on cultural differences....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5jlrxcpkI

CaptainRaiden
9th March 2010, 11:47
I do know one thing. There is a lot of misconception of what India is, because most Western cultures only know the stereotypes, and it seems there is no large community of Indians who feel obliged to spend their waking hours telling us where we are wrong. Maybe they are getting on with life, or most of the Indians here just figure they will show us how wrong we are.

I guess being in a foreign country, seeing a lot of people with weird, crazy assumptions, and then those people acting on those assumptions can be quite overwhelming at first. Probably I'll get used to it in a while, but I got curious and thought it'd be a good topic to discuss. :D

Here is just one Indian who pokes large amounts of fun on cultural differences....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5jlrxcpkI

Russell is hilarious! I remember watching his videos a year ago or so. Watched a lot of them in my work hours now, crap. :p

Captain VXR
9th March 2010, 18:26
@ gadjo_dilo - I wasn't referring to the average Romanian, just the not so intelligent/educated ones :)

Mark in Oshawa
9th March 2010, 22:57
I guess being in a foreign country, seeing a lot of people with weird, crazy assumptions, and then those people acting on those assumptions can be quite overwhelming at first. Probably I'll get used to it in a while, but I got curious and thought it'd be a good topic to discuss. :D

Russell is hilarious! I remember watching his videos a year ago or so. Watched a lot of them in my work hours now, crap. :p

X, seeing your country through the eyes of foreigners is interesting.....and I saw a bit of mine through the foreign press with the Winter Olympics so I can imagine how you hear people trying to define India and how frustrating that might be.

Most people outside India have no clue, because India is a mysterious nation with many languages and cultures that presents so many faces to the world...

gadjo_dilo
10th March 2010, 11:52
@ gadjo_dilo - I wasn't referring to the average Romanian, just the not so intelligent/educated ones :)
Maybe you wren't but unfortunately these are the words to describe average Romanians. :laugh:

Garry Walker
10th March 2010, 14:56
Few friends have visted india. Few liked it, but they were in tourist regions.
Few ventured out of tourist regions, were shocked at the level of some things, said they for sure will not be going back.

gloomyDAY
17th March 2010, 05:53
Stop throwing your kids off of the roof!

ZYzCcxF2IzE&feature=player_embedded

CaptainRaiden
17th March 2010, 09:17

Damn, that's crazy! Believe me, I've lived in India some 25 odd years of my life, and have never seen or even heard of such a thing. This is the first time I actually saw something like this. I'm a Christian, so I'm not aware of many Hindu or Muslim traditions in detail.

People do some really crazy and stupid things in some states, they're almost like different countries with different cultures and traditions. But this is really weird crap, made me shudder quite a bit while watching the video. Yeesh!

bluegem280
17th March 2010, 09:25

strong kid, hilarious... :) )

bluegem280
17th March 2010, 09:51
How about snake charming? fascinating show of poisonous snakes cobra or viper are dancing on the soulful music of gourd flutes

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2010, 23:10
strong kid, hilarious... :) )

Now you see...this is what happens when there is no one to suggest "hey..you know this MAY not be the best idea?"....

I put it down to superstiton....and silly notions. Then again, no other place with these religions does this either...so it isn't a fad that is spreading.

Weird..and I am gobsmacked everyone in that part of India doesn't have deformed backs from injuries suffered as infants...

bluegem280
18th March 2010, 05:59
could be wrong, but I think such tradition is purely products of human work and thought, they might want their kids grow up as strong men and believe this ritual can justify it. It's just like snake charming, only a well trained person can perform it. It might be also an inherited profession.

gloomyDAY
18th March 2010, 06:08
Stop stepping on your damn babies!

http://www.weirdasianews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/JamunYadav01.jpg

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/75229/India/Bihar%27s+child-trampling+godman+arrested.html

:laugh: I don't mean to laugh, but that article is ridiculous! I can't believe it's real.

EuroTroll
18th March 2010, 06:33
This should maybe be in the "miracle" thread. Amazing what **** people can get up and get away with (for a while) when they have God as a justification..

Mark in Oshawa
18th March 2010, 07:29
This should maybe be in the "miracle" thread. Amazing what **** people can get up and get away with (for a while) when they have God as a justification..

It isn't even really religion tho. The You Tube video says Hindu's and Moslems in this village both do it, which may be one of the few things they would agree on, and it is unique to this one place. The motivation isn't religious...it is cultural on a local level, which is why most people really never grasp India. It is like 50 countries, with some different ideas and languages, all under one government. I am amazed there isn't more turmoil and unrest inside the country than there is.

EuroTroll
18th March 2010, 07:59
I was referring to just the stepping on babies thing. Apparently done by a "godman". For curing illness!!!

CaptainRaiden
18th March 2010, 10:49
It isn't even really religion tho. The You Tube video says Hindu's and Moslems in this village both do it, which may be one of the few things they would agree on, and it is unique to this one place. The motivation isn't religious...it is cultural on a local level, which is why most people really never grasp India. It is like 50 countries, with some different ideas and languages, all under one government. I am amazed there isn't more turmoil and unrest inside the country than there is.

:up: I think you hit the nail bang on its head Mark. What many people don't realize is that the sheer size, population, and most importantly the diversity of the country is somehow its own downfall. More often than not, there is more animosity between any two states within India, than it is between two countries anywhere in the world. And I'm not making this up, it's true!

I mean some of these things which this gloomyday is posting (which I'm sure he dug up by googling "weird crap in India" or something :p ), I myself am seeing for the first time. Both stories are from really remote, small villages where people are naive, uneducated and way too superstitious for their own good, and that's how the damn corrupt "Godmen" make their money by fooling them. Religion also plays a big role, because some of them are so damn superstitious that they'd literally do ANY thing to please their gods.

So, of course, when people see these weird craptastic, insane stories, they assume the whole country is like that. I mean you can find equally insane things about other countries, just put on an episode of Ripley's Believe it or not. :D

When you talk about turmoil and unrest, you only have to switch on the TV in India, and put on any one of the million news channels at any time of the day and you'll likely see a protest, a riot somewhere or any crime you can think of. This is a huge contrast to news channels here in Europe, at least what I've seen, who have no real news to report on! I mean when you see the grand inauguration of some new bakery on prime-time news, you KNOW you're safe here. :p

CaptainRaiden
18th March 2010, 11:00
I mean damn, if one was to read this blog here: http://weirdindia.blogspot.com/ they'd think the whole country is a big damn bizarre-o-circus. Well, it kinda actually is. :D I bet gloomyday would find that blog very amusing. More fix for your appetite. ;)

gadjo_dilo
18th March 2010, 11:25
This is a huge contrast to news channels here in Europe, at least what I've seen, who have no real news to report on! I mean when you see the grand inauguration of some new bakery on prime-time news, you KNOW you're safe here. :p

So you've never watched the Pro Tv News at 17.00.... :laugh:

Eki
18th March 2010, 13:37
So, of course, when people see these weird craptastic, insane stories, they assume the whole country is like that. I mean you can find equally insane things about other countries, just put on an episode of Ripley's Believe it or not. :D

Or you just have to follow Fox News for awhile, and you'll get the feeling that all Americans are insane.

CaptainRaiden
18th March 2010, 14:45
So you've never watched the Pro Tv News at 17.00.... :laugh:

Thanks for telling me. I'll definitely look to see what's happening. :p

But still, it's all very peaceful and nice. :p If you put on an Indian news channel, it's like an action movie with bomb blasts, riots, bank robberies and murders here and there, oh and of course they don't fail to make all of that look as theatrical as possible. :laugh:

Indian news channels are, in my opinion, the absolute WORST TV stations in the world. I mean the way a news report is exaggerated and spiced up like a soap opera, complete garbage, doesn't take me more than 2 minutes to get sick.

Mark in Oshawa
18th March 2010, 16:12
:up: I think you hit the nail bang on its head Mark. What many people don't realize is that the sheer size, population, and most importantly the diversity of the country is somehow its own downfall. More often than not, there is more animosity between any two states within India, than it is between two countries anywhere in the world. And I'm not making this up, it's true!

I mean some of these things which this gloomyday is posting (which I'm sure he dug up by googling "weird crap in India" or something :p ), I myself am seeing for the first time. Both stories are from really remote, small villages where people are naive, uneducated and way too superstitious for their own good, and that's how the damn corrupt "Godmen" make their money by fooling them. Religion also plays a big role, because some of them are so damn superstitious that they'd literally do ANY thing to please their gods.

When you talk about turmoil and unrest, you only have to switch on the TV in India, and put on any one of the million news channels at any time of the day and you'll likely see a protest, a riot somewhere or any crime you can think of. This is a huge contrast to news channels here in Europe, at least what I've seen, who have no real news to report on! I mean when you see the grand inauguration of some new bakery on prime-time news, you KNOW you're safe here. :p

India's greatest strength is its diversity. No nation would try to conquer India now...India is too busy evolving at hyper speed.

As for the news in India, I used to see some of it. A friend of mine worked as a switcher for the Asian TV channel offered here in Canada, and they had news from various Asian nations. When the Indian news came on, I never understood the language, but I could see that it was a like a Hollywood disaster movie. Knowing as much as I do about India (which isn't much other than to say I know what I don't know), I knew there was an element of truth to it, and an element of exaggeration. India is a world unto itself....and I would never assume anything about India, because the more I learn, the less I know. Unlike a monolithic nation such as Canada where we have immigrants bringing their culture and trying to fit it in, India seems to be a rapidly evolving stew of new and old, many ethnic splinters, that is fighting to evolve into a modern nation. It is probably the most complicated nation on earth....

gadjo_dilo
19th March 2010, 07:39
India's greatest strength is its diversity. No nation would try to conquer India now...India is too busy evolving at hyper speed.

Talking about the conquest of India...
When I was a student, although it was forbidden, a history professor read to us Peter the Great's will. The idea was that Russia's foreign policy hasn't changed since that time. For a reason that I can't understand the only thing that I can remember is that the one who is the master of India will become the real master of the world and that India is the warehouse of the world.

Call it fatality but after we talked about weird things that happen in India and how the news channels make them look more sensational than they really are, guess what I saw last night on TV news. The indian boy who was born with 4 legs and 4 hands.
http://observator.antena1.ro/extern/Un-baiat-de-7-ani-s-a-nascut-cu-4-maini-si-4-picio_6827.html
While it seems to be a rare disease ( parasite twin ) some consider to be a sort of Vishnu who also has 4 hands.

race_director
22nd March 2010, 10:00

This is not a indian tradition. Its looks like a muslim ritual. and it must be happening in all islamic countries. in india i have never come across this. may be in north states

race_director
22nd March 2010, 10:07
When I was a student, although it was forbidden, a history professor read to us Peter the Great's will. The idea was that Russia's foreign policy hasn't changed since that time. For a reason that I can't understand the only thing that I can remember is that the one who is the master of India will become the real master of the world and that India is the warehouse of the world.

Call it fatality but after we talked about weird things that happen in India and how the news channels make them look more sensational than they really are, guess what I saw last night on TV news. The indian boy who was born with 4 legs and 4 hands.
http://observator.antena1.ro/extern/Un-baiat-de-7-ani-s-a-nascut-cu-4-maini-si-4-picio_6827.html
While it seems to be a rare disease ( parasite twin ) some consider to be a sort of Vishnu who also has 4 hands.

No one can understand India from outside, I am 29yrs. born and brought up in mumbai. did my Masters in a western country. 2 years full time.

by end of the masters. i felt, the freedom and the liberty u get in INDIA , the diversity , u enjoy in India, no place in this world has. I came back to India

I LOVE INDIA

Rudy Tamasz
22nd March 2010, 11:00
When I was a student, although it was forbidden, a history professor read to us Peter the Great's will. The idea was that Russia's foreign policy hasn't changed since that time.

Russians are not the nicest folks around but Peter's will is a proven fake.

harsha
22nd March 2010, 11:21
just don't try and analyze the anamoly that's India...

Mark in Oshawa
22nd March 2010, 13:08
No one can understand India from outside, I am 29yrs. born and brought up in mumbai. did my Masters in a western country. 2 years full time.

by end of the masters. i felt, the freedom and the liberty u get in INDIA , the diversity , u enjoy in India, no place in this world has. I came back to India

I LOVE INDIA

There is no place like home for sure....just like I feel free and empowered in Canada, you will in India. Unlike Canada tho, India truly is a mystery, and I suspect you growing up in Mumbai probably have much you would like to know about other parts of the country.

All I know is the stereotypes and weird stories we see in the West are almost inconsequential to the truth.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd March 2010, 13:10

Gadjo, Russia is another great enigma. Maybe more westerners should read that Will of Peter The Great as well. I just hope for anyone's sake that no one but the Indians tries to master India....for the British sort of tried, and they got away with it for a little while, but I suspect any one trying now would probably create a storm they wont want any part of...

harsha
22nd March 2010, 13:38
There is no place like home for sure....just like I feel free and empowered in Canada, you will in India. Unlike Canada tho, India truly is a mystery, and I suspect you growing up in Mumbai probably have much you would like to know about other parts of the country.

All I know is the stereotypes and weird stories we see in the West are almost inconsequential to the truth.

isn't that the same probably everywhere in the world...for example , how the east views the west and vice versa too...w.r.t the stereotypes

and anyway , every person will feel at home at his/her country.........a variety of reasons as to why they feel at home and free and empowered too...

gadjo_dilo
22nd March 2010, 14:08
No one can understand India from outside
I'd rather thnk that this thing is valid for every part of the world.
I reckon that sometimes I can't understand even the place where I've lived for a lifetime.

harsha
22nd March 2010, 14:18
I'd rather thnk that this thing is valid for every part of the world.
I reckon that sometimes I can't understand even the place where I've lived for a lifetime.

so very true

harsha
22nd March 2010, 14:19

it happens only in India :(

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Malbec
22nd March 2010, 21:18
There are many aspects of Indian culture I like (food, diversity etc etc) but there are a couple of things I don't like. Firstly the concentration on differences between groups of people whether its based on race, religion, caste, region, sub-region, profession and sex, all of which can buy you a different set of rights or lack of them. My best friend is looking for a wife but his family will only accept someone Bengali, preferably from Calcutta who is Hindu, the same religious subgroup, caste and subcaste and from a similar professional background. The mind boggles. It doesn't matter as much when its merely about people looking for a suitable wife, when it boils over into sectarian violence as it often does then it becomes significant. Despite being free the Indian press self-censors to quite a degree in the knowledge that if it reported every bit of sectarian violence it would start a vicious cycle through escalating tit-for-tat killings.

Then there's the feeling that life isn't valued as highly in India as it is elsewhere, attitudes that pervade everything whether its driving standards and general safety, medical care (I could tell you stories that you wouldn't believe) and attitudes towards the poor. Linking to the above its also why politicians can often tap into sectarian sentiments and use unbelievable amounts of violence to further their own aims, the BJP's links with the anti-muslim riots in Gujurat are a good example.

harsha
23rd March 2010, 12:53
@Dylan

I'm not denying what you've said....It's true , but then it's only one half of the coin...

talking about healthcare , India has some of the best and the most affordable healthcare around , I understand that there are people who are too poor for it to be really of use , but if you compare it to the healthcare costs @ America or some other places , you'll find the difference....otherwise why would people from lot of places in the world (even Europe mind) come to India to get their surgeries done ?

all said and done , India's a bundle of contradictions......It's amazing how such a country with such corrupt governance has managed to sustain itself as a democracy and still progress...

gadjo_dilo
23rd March 2010, 13:48
Then there's the feeling that life isn't valued as highly in India as it is elsewhere, .....

In my dreams, India in particular and oriental countries in general have another scale of values and another philosophy of life then the westerners. I'd like to believe they're not so interested in the "material" side of life.
I won't say more because I'll be accused of having ancient weird ideas.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2010, 18:49
@Dylan

I'm not denying what you've said....It's true , but then it's only one half of the coin...

talking about healthcare , India has some of the best and the most affordable healthcare around , I understand that there are people who are too poor for it to be really of use , but if you compare it to the healthcare costs @ America or some other places , you'll find the difference....otherwise why would people from lot of places in the world (even Europe mind) come to India to get their surgeries done ?

all said and done , India's a bundle of contradictions......It's amazing how such a country with such corrupt governance has managed to sustain itself as a democracy and still progress...

A nation of opposites. Great healthcare, and NO healthcare. Intense discrimination in a nation where many people live actually in some form of harmony. A democracy, yet corrupt. Very Rich...and VERY POOR all in the same nation.

IN short, India can almost be anything it wants to be at this point in history...

Malbec
23rd March 2010, 19:30

There is no doubt that for those with money healthcare in India can easily match that available anywhere but I'm actually not talking about the lack of provision for the poor. I'm talking about attitudes towards the healthcare the poor actually do get.

Do you know about India's scandal about reusing hypodermic needles? Clinics and hospitals aimed mainly at the poor reuse their needles without sterilising them. They are supposed to be one-use disposable. Result? HIV and Hepatitis are rampant among the Indian poor, but thats ok because the clinics get to save on a few rupee per patient. India is renowned for this.

I've heard anecdotes from ex-colleagues of mine who worked in hospitals in India where they used to carry out experiments on the patients for fun, giving or denying drugs to see what effect that might have. I was actually told to my face that it didn't matter because the patients were poor, noone cares if they live or die anyway....

Now thats a thing about India that truly is impressive, back in '48 it had all the ingredients for a failed democracy yet over 60 years later its alive and kicking.

harsha
24th March 2010, 12:08
Despite being free the Indian press self-censors to quite a degree in the knowledge that if it reported every bit of sectarian violence it would start a vicious cycle through escalating tit-for-tat killings.

funny you should mention that esp when there's talk that the Indian press is too irresponsible and very $$$ oriented.

race_director
29th March 2010, 07:30
There is no doubt that for those with money healthcare in India can easily match that available anywhere but I'm actually not talking about the lack of provision for the poor. I'm talking about attitudes towards the healthcare the poor actually do get.

Do you know about India's scandal about reusing hypodermic needles? Clinics and hospitals aimed mainly at the poor reuse their needles without sterilising them. They are supposed to be one-use disposable. Result? HIV and Hepatitis are rampant among the Indian poor, but thats ok because the clinics get to save on a few rupee per patient. India is renowned for this.

I've heard anecdotes from ex-colleagues of mine who worked in hospitals in India where they used to carry out experiments on the patients for fun, giving or denying drugs to see what effect that might have. I was actually told to my face that it didn't matter because the patients were poor, noone cares if they live or die anyway....

Now thats a thing about India that truly is impressive, back in '48 it had all the ingredients for a failed democracy yet over 60 years later its alive and kicking.

on the contary i find heathcare in india is the best, its affordable and also one the best.. and abt the nations most of the big media houses, all are pro goverment and minority. The goverment is always pro minority coummunity of the country. The is not regulated , nor censored by the goverment.

India is a the best form of democracy one can enjoy in the world, mixed with freedom and strict actions for people who cross the line.On the contrary I find health care in India is the best, it’s affordable and also one the best... and abt the nations most of the big media houses, all are pro goverment and minority. The government is always pro minority community of the country. The media has never been regulated, nor censored by the government.

India is the best form of democracy one can enjoy in the world, mixed with freedom and strict actions for people who cross the line.

gadjo_dilo
29th March 2010, 08:13
Race_director, you speak as if you're the indian government spokesman.

harsha
29th March 2010, 14:36

:D :D

race_director
29th March 2010, 18:10

sorry mate, i am just a 29yr old guy, working for a MNC bank

Malbec
29th March 2010, 21:44
on the contary i find heathcare in india is the best, its affordable and also one the best..

If you actually read my post you'll find that I agree that good/excellent healthcare is available in India but is that the case for the poorest too?

In Britain we import a lot of Indian doctors (or used to, not any more). The majority are hardworking and frankly a pleasure to work with but there are a significant number who have rather worrying attitudes to the value of life, especially of those who are poor. People may attack the American system but I've yet to hear about any American doctors who are happy to experiment on their patients for a laugh.

As for the hypodermic needle issue here is a link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5931974.ece

gloomyDAY
30th April 2010, 00:40
What the hell is wrong with you people? Starving yourselves, on purpose!

Why?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/7645857/Man-claims-to-have-had-no-food-or-drink-for-70-years.html

Mr Jani, who claims to have left home aged seven and lived as a wandering sadhu or holy man in Rajasthan, is regarded as a 'breatharian' who can live on a 'spiritual life-force' alone. He believes he is sustained by a goddess who pours an 'elixir' through a hole in his palate. His claims have been supported by an Indian doctor who specializes in studies of people who claim supernatural abilities, but he has also been dismissed by others as a "village fraud." :laugh:

Roamy
30th April 2010, 05:03
They obviously have many many telephones over there :)

Storm
30th April 2010, 07:45
too many cell phones if you ask me :s

Eki
30th April 2010, 15:17
There will be a documentary on the Indian Aditya Dev tonight on TV here. Seems like the guy has a great spirit despite his small size, or maybe because of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aditya_Dev