PDA

View Full Version : Hispania Racing Launch Thread

DazzlaF1
4th March 2010, 09:57
Well they are due to launch their team today in the city of Murcia this afternoon, and that includes the identity of their 2nd driver AND the long awaited Dallara car

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=40049

Should be intriguing

Giuseppe F1
4th March 2010, 10:52
Any idea on time of the launch today??

DazzlaF1
4th March 2010, 11:07
Any idea on time of the launch today??

All i've heard is that it is sometime this afternoon

Saint Devote
4th March 2010, 11:30
Wonder if Bernie is involved in helping this team to get moving - if Karun Chandok is the second driver then I'd say yes.

V12
4th March 2010, 12:45
Looking forward to this - it's a shame the past day has been overshadowed by the USF1/Stefan/BMW Sauber/HRT balls-up by the FIA, but at the end of the day, while 26 cars would have been nice, I suppose we haven't had 24 cars since Melbourne 1997 if I remember rightly? And Adelaide 1995 before that? Plus another new car and colour scheme to look forward to :) :cool:

Dave B
4th March 2010, 14:06
Kolles has confirmed Karun Chandhok as the 2nd driver:

http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/03/04/kolles-confirms-chandhok-at-hrt/

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/hispania-confirms-chandhok/

callum122
4th March 2010, 14:42
Is Karen the next Ide?

Does anyone know honestly if he will be a welcome addition to the grid?

But go India :)

maximilian
4th March 2010, 14:47
Is Karen the next Ide?

Would have been fun to see Chandhok (HRT) and Lopez ("USF1") duke it out for 25th place, too bad we won't get to see that now! :D

I guess they could have done worse, but I don't expect him to do any better than Karthikeyan. Based on lack of testing, the HRTs should be at the back of the field, a couple seconds off Lotus and Virgin, Senna probably taking 23rd spot, unless something goes wrong! ;) Good luck to both of them, it will be a real baptism of fire.

Mekola
4th March 2010, 14:56
Wonder if Bernie is involved in helping this team to get moving - if Karun Chandok is the second driver then I'd say yes.
For your amusement López is out, even as HRT reserve driver. He's coming back to his country, and even it would be difficult to race local touring cars because he "burned the ships" to enter in this crazy F1 adventure.

About you, I'm offended as an Argentinian for the various comments you put against López. He was our best F1 hope in years, and even when he was forced to put back to his country he did his renaissance very well on touring cars, albeit I could accept that it was not the best path to make another attempt to be in F1.

DazzlaF1
4th March 2010, 15:56
Is Karen the next Ide?

Chandhok is miles better than Ide ever will be. He has been generally successful in GP2 with a few race wins under his belt, Kobayashi was similar.

The car will be a hinderance to both him and Senna but I imagine that they are just happy to be racing at all. The best of luck to the both of them

maximilian
4th March 2010, 15:59
About you, I'm offended as an Argentinian for the various comments you put against López. He was our best F1 hope in years, and even when he was forced to put back to his country he did his renaissance very well on touring cars, albeit I could accept that it was not the best path to make another attempt to be in F1.
I didn't mean any offense to Lopez personally, or to Argentinia. In fact, I would love to see Argentinian drivers in the tradition of Fangio and Reutemann, and the return of the Argentinian GP.

I just had some doubts about how "Pechito" would be able to perform, in particular given the long break in single seaters, and the already questionable performance of what was going to be the USF1 car - it just seemed unrealistic to expect much more than consistent back row placements from him (or any comparable pay driver, for that matter - such as Chandhok or Valles, if he had gotten the seat). I would have followed his progress with great interest, and loved for him to disprove my doubts.

No doubt it is a heavy blow for Lopez to find his dreams shattered in the past weeks, not something I rejoice in, and I do feel his pain. Any who may have been offended, please accept my humble handshake of friendship. :)

Dave B
4th March 2010, 16:03
And remember that their two drivers have been team-mates in GP2, so have experience of working together. In a new team that could be crucial.

DazzlaF1
4th March 2010, 16:07
And remember that their two drivers have been team-mates in GP2, so have experience of working together. In a new team that could be crucial.

Indeed, they were together at iSport in 2008.

That can only help them.

Pulidor
4th March 2010, 16:32
First (bad quality) pictures here:
http://www.f1aldia.com/photos/7600/7697/001_small.jpg

http://www.f1aldia.com/photos/7600/7697/002_small.jpg

Sonic
4th March 2010, 16:35
A car! Fantastic. Welcome to the club HRT, see you at the first GP. :)

maximilian
4th March 2010, 16:39
Yeah, "a car" really looks good these days!! :)

Giuseppe F1
4th March 2010, 17:05
Another pic:

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4356/67610875.jpg

Giuseppe F1
4th March 2010, 17:08
I see Karun trimmed the mono-brow especially for the occasion too! :)

http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/1800/1874.jpg

keysersoze
4th March 2010, 17:12
Prediction time: how far off pole time will this outfit be in Bahrain?

Assuming they have no reliability issues, here are my guesses:

Friday practice: 12 seconds
Saturday practice: 10 seconds
Qualifying: 9 seconds

steveaki13
4th March 2010, 17:15
I was still a bit nervous that they may not make it, but I guess its looking better now. Hopefully means they can now furfil whole season and get some extreme testing done during Friday Practice. :cool:

V12
4th March 2010, 17:18
Not a bad looking car. They'll probably own the back row this season, initially at least, but what the hell at least they're showing up now. 24 > 22.

Dave B
4th March 2010, 17:23
Well, kudos to them for at least having a car and drivers, that's more than certain other newbies have managed! The car looks a bit dated, but pictures only give a fraction of the story.

Prediction time: how far off pole time will this outfit be in Bahrain?

Friday practice: 12-15 seconds with massive reliability problems.
Saturday practice: As Friday.
Qualifying: At least 10 seconds, and I'll be surprised if both cars even finish Q1.
Race: if either car finishes it'll be several laps down.

Sad predictions, but I'm being realistic. They've not tested, neither guy has raced in F1 (although GP2 is a good proving ground), and the project was rushed at in the last minute.

At least they've got a sensible base to build from, and I wish them well. :up:

UltimateDanGTR
4th March 2010, 17:25
good looking car (albeit dallara). two drivers. one presentation. secured finances.

well done Hispania racing, welcome to the club, see you in Bahrain :D

Dave B
4th March 2010, 17:32
A better pic here. Quite big so just the linky:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ywwx2v.jpg

:)

Dave B
4th March 2010, 17:35
Bruno's new lid:

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/16kthr.jpg (http://twitpic.com/16kthr)

Dave B
4th March 2010, 17:36
Another view of the car:

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/16kt1s.jpg (http://twitpic.com/16kt1s)

Giuseppe F1
4th March 2010, 17:39
http://i46.tinypic.com/i20p3l.jpg

Giuseppe F1
4th March 2010, 17:40
http://i47.tinypic.com/28cnl89.jpg

Giuseppe F1
4th March 2010, 17:40
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ywwx2v.jpg

christophulus
4th March 2010, 17:49
I'm not sure they'll be that far off the pace, remember this is basically the Dallara, and they'll have had as long as Virgin to get a car designed and tested in the wind tunnel. Having the shakedown on Friday practice isn't ideal, but reliability aside they may well be on pace with the other newbies.

First impressions here: http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/hrt-dallara-cosworth-first-impressions/

DexDexter
4th March 2010, 18:02
I'm not sure they'll be that far off the pace, remember this is basically the Dallara, and they'll have had as long as Virgin to get a car designed and tested in the wind tunnel. Having the shakedown on Friday practice isn't ideal, but reliability aside they may well be on pace with the other newbies.

First impressions here: http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/hrt-dallara-cosworth-first-impressions/

Xtrac gearbox may be the weakest link in the car, I hear it's not working well in the Lotus. But IMO the Dallara should beat Virgin since it was developed in a wind tunnel.

maximilian
4th March 2010, 18:14
I am pleasantly surprised with the "shape" of the car, and I actually like that distinctive nose. As for the livery, I am curious to see what the final version looks like - at the moment it is certainly a bit bland... :dozey:

Giuseppe F1
4th March 2010, 18:17
Shame there isnt a token 'Dallara' sticker on the car, similar to what Virgin did with 'Manor'

DazzlaF1
4th March 2010, 18:33
Are Repsol still in line as a sponsor? The colour scheme certainly suggests this on the front wing in particular.

That's what i was thinking, surely also Chandhok will have brought some Indian backing to go with Senna's sponsor Embratel

The car itself looks impressive, Dallara look like they've come up with something that could suprise a few people, including me.

Stuartf12007
4th March 2010, 18:37
A Mobile chicane, cool!

Helicon_One
4th March 2010, 18:46
I'm not sure they'll be that far off the pace, remember this is basically the Dallara, and they'll have had as long as Virgin to get a car designed and tested in the wind tunnel. Having the shakedown on Friday practice isn't ideal, but reliability aside they may well be on pace with the other newbies.[/URL]

The fact that the car hasn't been driven at all until Bahrain is going to really hurt their laptimes, so in Bahrain they'll be way behind even the other new faces.

From Melbourne onwards they'll have the feel of the car and they'll be catching up quickly, though.

Not convinced about the colour scheme though ... grey? Seriously?

DazzlaF1
4th March 2010, 19:06
Does it remind you (in a way) of this

http://www.f1wolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/arrows-1999.jpg

Sonic
4th March 2010, 19:06
Bears a passing similarity to the Virgin car. I'm going to be more positive about their performance; I'll say 6 seconds off the pace out of the box but neither will finish sadly.

VkmSpouge
4th March 2010, 20:08
Ignoring the dull paint job I think the Dallara looks very nice. I hope the team get to have at least a shakedown of the car before heading to Bahrain.

RS
4th March 2010, 20:13
That's what i was thinking, surely also Chandhok will have brought some Indian backing to go with Senna's sponsor Embratel

It always surprises me when we hear "Driver X brings $6m" in sponsorship, and then there are no stickers on the car!

I guess we might see them in Bahrain.

slashman
4th March 2010, 20:22
The front end looks just like the Virgin car.....Wind Tunnel vs Computer.....Mmmmmmm

ykiki
4th March 2010, 20:32
It always surprises me when we hear "Driver X brings $6m" in sponsorship, and then there are no stickers on the car!

I guess we might see them in Bahrain.

Makes you wonder if they're just sponsoring the driver, in which case their name just shows up on racing suits and helmets? The sponsors pay the drivers and the drivers in turn pay the team?

Just a guess on my part.

Mia 01
4th March 2010, 21:33
They have a car (three cars) and perhaps it´s decent.

Well dune!

VkmSpouge
4th March 2010, 21:52
Here's a question; what is this car called? The Hispania F1something or Dallara?

K-Pu
4th March 2010, 22:53
Good, at least they have a proper car. Sadly, it seems they´re going to be quite far off the pace, and I doubt they´ll be able to bing both cars home in the first GP, but that´s what happens when you have had no testing at all.

Regarding the livery, I don´t think they´ll be as grey as we see them today, some sponsor will get there. And talking about liveries... who´s going to sponsor Sauber?

DazzlaF1
4th March 2010, 22:56
Good, at least they have a proper car. Sadly, it seems they´re going to be quite far off the pace, and I doubt they´ll be able to bing both cars home in the first GP, but that´s what happens when you have had no testing at all.

Regarding the livery, I don´t think they´ll be as grey as we see them today, some sponsor will get there. And talking about liveries... who´s going to sponsor Sauber?

Hopefully they'll have someone signed up before Bahrain too.

As for Hispania, they still likely have Chandhok's backer(s) to put on and the livery itself to me suggests a future deal with Repsol.

Pulidor
4th March 2010, 23:13
My scepticism regarding their speed is completely gone now that I've seen the chassis. Looks decent, doesn't it?
I predict they'll be there with Lotus and Virgin in terms of pace. After all engines and gearboxes are the same for the 3 teams.

Now, IMO reliability is the key here.

turismo6
5th March 2010, 00:44
Nose of a virgin, Airbox from a toro rosso, rear of a Sauber.

Saint Devote
5th March 2010, 01:03
For your amusement López is out, even as HRT reserve driver. He's coming back to his country, and even it would be difficult to race local touring cars because he "burned the ships" to enter in this crazy F1 adventure.

Firstly it was not my intention to offend you. Why would you be offended anyway? Lopez is not Argentina, he is a racing driver that is Argentinian and in my view not at all qualified or worthy to be on the same grid and in the same race as one of the greatest of all time, Michael Schumacher and the other great drivers in F1.

Argentina has produced several great drivers including the driver that Senna viewed as the greatest of all time, Fangio. Then there was also Froilan "the Pampas Bull" Gonzalez who won Ferrari's first ever grand prix and, one of my favorite drivers and someone I like indeed, and saw him win a grand prix twice, Carlos "Lole" Reutemann.

I was extremely disappointed when did not win the championship in 1981 - I was in the military at the time and in the middle of the desert I was probably the only one in the middle of everything trying to tune a radio to discover what happened at t he grand prix in Las Vegas.

So you have a lots to be proud of that Argentinians have accomplished. Lopez really is not.

Saint Devote
5th March 2010, 01:13
Here's a question; what is this car called? The Hispania F1something or Dallara?

Well it is a Dallara so expecting something of a decent car is reasonable. I hope Bruno goes well and Chandok was a mid-grid GP2 driver AND his father is a leading light in Indian motor racing and efforts to secure the first Indian Grand Prix.

Bernie - enter stage right!!! Chandok has him to thank.

I think he will perform better than Karthykian.

The car is a Dallara and it ought to be called that unless title sponsor is found I guess.

aryan
5th March 2010, 03:42
Welcome to F1 Hispania Racing.

I can see myself quite warming up to this team.

I actually like the car, it really looks good, and the livery also looks 'unique' I think. So much better than the bland red-and-white we saw all over F1 in 2000s.

I don't think they will finish either of the first 4 GPs, but who cares, the flyaway races are really testing for them. As long as they are within 5 sec of pole at the start of the European season, I say well done!

Storm
5th March 2010, 05:38
Chandhok is a good driver (not top class but decent) and he was very good whenever he did guest commentry on F1 on Star last year.
Of course he has Bernie to thank for his seat - he waited long for Mallya to give him the opportunity (even of a test driver) but seems like that is not going to happpen. Wel now he has a chance and although I have no expectations from him or his team will be nice to see the tri-colour back in F1.

Good luck Karun and Hispania Racing.

DexDexter
5th March 2010, 07:50
Welcome to F1 Hispania Racing.

I can see myself quite warming up to this team.

I actually like the car, it really looks good, and the livery also looks 'unique' I think. So much better than the bland red-and-white we saw all over F1 in 2000s.

I don't think they will finish either of the first 4 GPs, but who cares, the flyaway races are really testing for them. As long as they are within 5 sec of pole at the start of the European season, I say well done!

I like them too, IMO the driver line-up isn't bad at all considering they don't have that much cash. Both drivers are decent enough to have a go at F1, in fact looking at the grid, there is only one driver that shouldn't be there and that's Jaime.

leopard
5th March 2010, 09:26
The car with mainly black is slightly reminder of Minardi or Midland. As a new debutant with driver previously without experience driving F1, hispania might have to struggle, but who knows Chandhok and Hispania can produce fruitful combination like Alonso and Minardi. Btw Congrats Hispania.

MrJan
5th March 2010, 09:50
I like that, very simplistic though so the proof will be in the pudding......mmmm pudding.

V12
5th March 2010, 10:01
Does it remind you (in a way) of this

http://www.f1wolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/arrows-1999.jpg

I think I was one of the few people that actually liked this car back in the day!

I still think Hispania would be last, not because the Dallara built car will be an embarrassment, but simply because Virgin (maybe) and Lotus (definitely) have better drivers, not to mention the lost testing time. Virgin and Lotus did seem to pick up a bit of pace relative to the front over the testing sessions.

Mekola
5th March 2010, 23:01
Tester/reserve seat is still vacant.

52Paddy
5th March 2010, 23:48
I'm glad that they have a car. Although I didn't expect them to produce anything outlandish, the car looks very conservative aesthetically. The front nose is a little interesting but, other than that, it just looks bare. But looks aren't everything so we shall see how they do.

Dr. Krogshöj
6th March 2010, 12:10

Neither - it's called "HRT Cosworth" and the official team name is "HRT F1 Team".

wedge
6th March 2010, 13:45
Aggressive front nose, endplates look nearly 12 months out of date, conservative coke-bottle packaging

jens
10th March 2010, 09:02
Hispania? Uhh, there is much emphasis on nationalism recently in F1 - a sign of recession again?

Somehow the car looks strangely similar to VR-01. :D Overall, considering that Dallara is an experienced racecar constructor, I think they should be capable of matching Virgin and Lotus at least initially on their debut season. The biggest headache for HRT are going to be possible reliability problems, because without any testing it's going to be a massive uphill struggle to try to get rid of them. As we know, Virgin has been struggling with hydraulic leaks on a consistent basis.

Team-mate battle? I'd expect Senna to end up on top like at iSport in 2008.