PDA

View Full Version : When will Penske release Hornish?

rabf1
3rd March 2010, 17:29
When does Hornish's contract expire? Doesn't RP have to put someone else in that car at some point?

71Fan
3rd March 2010, 18:24
My guess is that he will remain for as long as sponsorship is available. As we've seen with many mid and back packers, as long as they can secure sponsorship, they've got a ride.

If a sponsor sez....I'll give ya 20 mill with X in the car, or 12 mill with Y in the car, I'm going to go with X and the 20 mill deal. I mean geesh, if Mikey weren't such an outstanding shill would he have been able to hang for as long as he has?

And just to make sure Danica gets mentioned in every thread.....Would anybody at all spend good money to put her in a car (after her disappointing start) if she weren't so gosh dern good looking?

Like I tell folks about the cocktail waitresses over the hill in Las Vegas....The closer you get to The Strip, the better looking they become.

Jag_Warrior
3rd March 2010, 20:17
I think Hornish's "sell by date" is fast approaching. Penske has been patient. But Sam just hasn't shown that many signs of progress, has he? I don't see Penske bringing him back to the IRL, especially as the IRL has picked up more road/street races... and Sam is like a duck out of water on roads & streets.

My guess is, when Penske dumps Dodge, and ships their engines to the junkyard, poor Sammy will be packed onto the same truck.

Mekola
3rd March 2010, 20:53
Hope Sammy and other Americans who used to be in openwheelers could return to IRL.

rabf1
3rd March 2010, 21:08
I doubt "lack of sponsorship" will ever be an issue with Penske.

Hornish did improve in 09 over 08. He had zero (0) top 10 finishes in 08 out of 34 races. In 09 he had seven (7) top 10 finishes out of 36 races. But what he cant seem to achieve is when he does not have a top 10 car, he needs to be able to bring it home in the 10-20th place range, like Montoya does. Sam finishes in the 25-43rd place range WAY too much. This is the Penske Mobil 1 car. They are not a low budget team. This car should definitely be in the top 15 consistently. At some point they need to get a driver in there that can do that.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd March 2010, 21:32
Sam is running out of chances. It is because of Mobil's relationship with him and the great things he did for Roger in the IRL that he hasn't worn out his welcome AND the reality is he is a really good team guy.

71Fan
4th March 2010, 00:43
No doubt that Mobil wants a winning car and driver. The question is....How much are they willing to pay to get one? I mean I'm sure that for the right price they could easily get their logo on the car of their choice.

Mark in Oshawa
4th March 2010, 00:46
No doubt that Mobil wants a winning car and driver. The question is....How much are they willing to pay to get one? I mean I'm sure that for the right price they could easily get their logo on the car of their choice.

Listen, often sponsors are more loyal to the drivers than the fans can be. Mobil got a lot of mileage out of Sam in his Indycar days, and this all really comes down to Roger Penske believing in Sam. I personally think Sam is a great guy, but he isn't one of the top drivers in NASCAR and likely wont be.....but if Roger thinks he is making progress, well it doesn't really matter what we think now does it?

Scotty G.
4th March 2010, 22:40
When RP thinks Justin Allgaier is ready to move up, that is who will replace Sam.

RP has a future star warming up in the bullpen and its Sam's job, he will eventually take.

RP genuinely likes Sam and will hang onto him as a Penske Racing driver. But I'd look for him to be "redirected" towards the DeFerran/Jay Penske Indy Car team starting in 2011.

djarumdudley
5th March 2010, 00:03
above post sums it up.

71Fan
5th March 2010, 10:01
Sure they are Mark. Loyal to drivers. And yup, what a bunch of message board minions think of a driver is probably of very little (if any) consequence

Mark in Oshawa
5th March 2010, 18:05
Sure they are Mark. Loyal to drivers. And yup, what a bunch of message board minions think of a driver is probably of very little (if any) consequence

Hey tell me something I don't know. AS I said, it is RP's call....and the idea Allagaier is going to get the ride is likely true. It hasn't happened in 3 years tho....

Scotty G.
5th March 2010, 22:10
Hey tell me something I don't know. AS I said, it is RP's call....and the idea Allagaier is going to get the ride is likely true. It hasn't happened in 3 years tho....

RP has been VERY patient with Sam.

It was RP's call to bring Sam to NASCAR, and he wants to give him every chance to show something.

But time is running out on this deal. And RP can't ignore his young charger in Nationwide, who looks like the real deal and could be pushing hard for a Cup ride, by the end of 2010.

Mark in Oshawa
6th March 2010, 02:14
RP has been VERY patient with Sam.

It was RP's call to bring Sam to NASCAR, and he wants to give him every chance to show something.

But time is running out on this deal. And RP can't ignore his young charger in Nationwide, who looks like the real deal and could be pushing hard for a Cup ride, by the end of 2010.

No argument from me....I liked Hornish in the IRL, but the fact is if he went back he would have to learn to drive road/street courses a lot better than he used to.

slorydn1
11th March 2010, 00:23
When does Hornish's contract expire? Doesn't RP have to put someone else in that car at some point?

Not soon enough....He hasn't really shown anything in nascar, I'm afraid.

He's likeable and all that, but Roger Penske would be better served t stick a young up and comer in that car for a chance at long term success,imo

Oli_M
11th March 2010, 09:27
I agree that Hornish's seat is surely looking uncertain once Allgaier looks to step up from Nationwide at the end of this year.

However, there's still rumours that Kurt is thinking of moving on for 2011, if that does happen might there be a small reprieve for Hornish if JA goes to the #2 team?

71Fan
12th March 2010, 04:04
Trouble with that is....Where is Kurt going to go?

He won't go back to Roush, Hendrick is full unless Mark decides to leave. So that leaves Gibbs, Childress, RedBull or Mikey. If Hamlin doesn't fulfill his promise soon there could be room at Gibbs, and I'm certain Childress would love to have him, but my guess would be RedBull or Mikey unless Kevin moves away from Childress. Thing is tho, the only cars that have shown consistent inroads in to the Hendricks dynasty are....as much as I hate to say it...Toyota's.