PDA

View Full Version : Korean Grand Prix Track Review

ShiftingGears
3rd March 2010, 12:26
In the midst of all that has happened over the break, the appearance of the Korean Grand Prix on the calendar this year has slipped under the radar. Anyway, here is a cgi preview of the circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai8PxT7zSzI

Flat as a tack, but at least there is a variety in corner radius and speed. More interesting than Abi Dhabi, at least.

Thoughts?

ArrowsFA1
3rd March 2010, 12:38
It's not until 3mins into a 4:10mins clip that we get to see the track layout, and that kind of sums it up for me. Still, the grandstand, entrance building, pit complex & team building, race control, media centre, VIP room and paddock look lovely.

ShiftingGears
3rd March 2010, 12:42
It's not until 3mins into a 4:10mins clip that we get to see the track layout, and that kind of sums it up for me. Still, the grandstand, entrance building, pit complex & team building, race control, media centre, VIP room and paddock look lovely.

I'm inclined to agree with you there.

Sonic
3rd March 2010, 12:45
*initiating sarcasm mode*

Wow. That is a truely brilliant track and I can't wait for the debut Formula One Grand Prix to be held at such an amazing venue.

*disengage sarcasm mode*

:(

christophulus
3rd March 2010, 12:49
I keep forgetting that we have a Korean GP this year, it hasn't been hyped up as much as Abu Dhabi or Singapore. Track looks OK though.

wedge
3rd March 2010, 13:44
Looks better than Abu Dhabi. Reminds me of Sepang.

Still don't understand the recent fetish for sea water.

Big Ben
3rd March 2010, 14:43
way too short. I don't like it. The layout doesn't seem to be too interesting either.

AndyL
3rd March 2010, 14:49
Looks better than Abu Dhabi. Reminds me of Sepang.

Still don't understand the recent fetish for sea water.

Because the only way to improve on a featureless, wind- and rain-swept plain as an F1 circuit location would be to also add the smell of fish?

truefan72
3rd March 2010, 15:14
track looks fine, stop complaining people.

It is a new world and a global racing series.

truefan72
3rd March 2010, 15:17
Because the only way to improve on a featureless, wind- and rain-swept plain as an F1 circuit location would be to also add the smell of fish?

as opposed to stale, old and/or broke european facilities like silverstone, hungaroring, hockenheim, mangy cours, barcelona, monaco, imola, nurburgring, etc.

AndyL
3rd March 2010, 15:21
as opposed to stale, old and/or broke european facilities like silverstone

Where do you think I was referring to when I mentioned a featureless, wind- and rain-swept plain ;)

truefan72
3rd March 2010, 17:22
Where do you think I was referring to when I mentioned a featureless, wind- and rain-swept plain ;)

ok,

I hadn't had my $4 Starbucks soy latte with a shot of espresso yet :rolleyes:

K-Pu
3rd March 2010, 17:59
The word that always springs to mind is EMPTY.

Shifter
3rd March 2010, 18:19
On the other hand, man those little F1 cars are REALLY cooking it out there :)

AndyL
3rd March 2010, 20:04
The word that always springs to mind is EMPTY.

That's a good point to raise. I think most faults with a venue can be overlooked if there's a big crowd and a great atmosphere. Clearly a lot of the new venues have fallen down in this area. Korea is a prosperous and densely populated country so there's every chance for them to put on a popular event... are they really into their motorsport though?

wedge
4th March 2010, 13:16
are they really into their motorsport though?

I remember being at a backpacker hostel in Japan flicking the TV stations and found Super GT and then suddenly had chat with a couple of Korean lads who were motorsport fans. Completely forgot to ask how popular motorsport was in S Korea. When I was S. Korea I struggled to find F1 on the telly.

steveaki13
7th March 2010, 19:55
*initiating sarcasm mode*

Wow. That is a truely brilliant track and I can't wait for the debut Formula One Grand Prix to be held at such an amazing venue.

*disengage sarcasm mode*

:(

I have to agree really.

Nothing that really gets me going from the video. :(

Not sure how many more new circuits I personally want to see arrive. :s

DazzlaF1
7th March 2010, 20:18
I have to agree really.

Nothing that really gets me going from the video. :(

Not sure how many more new circuits I personally want to see arrive. :s

Well we've got India to "look forward to" next year, another Tilke design

Is it me or does it seem to be a recurring theme that these "Tilkedromes" just dont provide great racing? I mean there was a lot of fanfare about Abu Dhabi but apart from the end of race battle between Button and Webber, not much happened.

Its no coincidence that the track returning to the calendar (Montreal) is the one nearly everybody is most excited about.

Sonic
7th March 2010, 20:30
Well we've got India to "look forward to" next year, another Tilke design

Is it me or does it seem to be a recurring theme that these "Tilkedromes" just dont provide great racing? I mean there was a lot of fanfare about Abu Dhabi but apart from the end of race battle between Button and Webber, not much happened.

Its no coincidence that the track returning to the calendar (Montreal) is the one nearly everybody is most excited about.

Now that's an excellent point. Sepang often provides some thrills and spills but other than that tilke tracks have limited overtaking chances despite the much copied hairpin leading to long straight followed by big stop that Canada has had for years.

My guess would be the circuit length doesn't encourage close racing. Canada is over in, what, 70secs? Whereas the new tilke tracks are all 100s+ so the field gets more spread out quickly.

Anyone else got a theory?

steveaki13
7th March 2010, 20:46
Now that's an excellent point. Sepang often provides some thrills and spills but other than that tilke tracks have limited overtaking chances despite the much copied hairpin leading to long straight followed by big stop that Canada has had for years.

My guess would be the circuit length doesn't encourage close racing. Canada is over in, what, 70secs? Whereas the new tilke tracks are all 100s+ so the field gets more spread out quickly.

Anyone else got a theory?

Well that could be true, I suppose it stands to reason that on shorter tracks (Montreal) for example the cars come into the hairpin after less time spreading out over the lap.

So if it takes 70 seconds to reach the point on the circuit at which the field bunch up again you will get more action for a 10 lap stint, than 10 laps where it takes the cars 100 seconds to reach that point and they have spread further apart.

:confused: I have read my post through again, not sure how easy it is to follow but hopefully you get the my rough point.

N. Jones
7th March 2010, 21:08
as opposed to stale, old and/or broke european facilities like silverstone, hungaroring, hockenheim, mangy cours, barcelona, monaco, imola, nurburgring, etc.

I'd like to see Imola on the calendar again; especially since the owners were bnuilding a new pit complex and removing the chicane (Variante Bassa) after Rivazza's 1 & 2.

superocean
8th March 2010, 02:03
That's a good point to raise. I think most faults with a venue can be overlooked if there's a big crowd and a great atmosphere. Clearly a lot of the new venues have fallen down in this area. Korea is a prosperous and densely populated country so there's every chance for them to put on a popular event... are they really into their motorsport though?

They don't have a history of it and they really aren't into it. They don't even have a word for it. Most likely, they will use moda su pots as they like to butcher foreign words. The place is so far from the bigger cities that I don't know how many people will show up. although they are masters at upselling events so they may sellout the first few years but I don't see a long future of sell outs. Could they not find another location further from Seoul? I wonder how many hotel rooms are within a 1 hr drive of that location.

Link to wiki of the area. (http://wiki.galbijim.com/Mokpo) I think it's Fubar that there is a S K race and no US race. WTF Bernie. LOL The city has earned a reputation as a stronghold of the Korean mob, an idea reinforced by the 2004 movie 목포는 항구다 (Gangster's Paradise).

truefan72
8th March 2010, 04:32
I'd like to see Imola on the calendar again; especially since the owners were bnuilding a new pit complex and removing the chicane (Variante Bassa) after Rivazza's 1 & 2.

now that would be an improvement :up: