PDA

View Full Version : 02920368701

Iain
27th February 2007, 16:18
Anyone else been getting their mobile phone effectively spammed by that number? I've had them call 3 times today and have just ignored it, as I know exactly what it is. Been a while since they tried me. From doing a Google on the number months ago, ( http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=02920368701&meta= )I found out that they call a lot of people, trying to offer them mobile phone contracts. Calling themselves Communications Direct. It's so annoying when the phone keeps ringing like that :mad:

Dave B
27th February 2007, 16:41
Are you registered with TPS? If so, answer it and ask to speak to the operator's supervisor. Ask for their registered address and report them online. You should also find that stops the calls.

They'll misrepresent themselves and imply that they're from your network. I bet a hell of a lot of people fall for this horribly underhand sales technique.

Gannex
27th February 2007, 16:54
Iain, are you familiar with the Telephone Preference Service? If your phone number is registered with them, any company which makes marketing calls to your phone will be in violation of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003. The system works very well. Before I registered my home office phone, I used to receive about three or four cold calls a week. Since registering, I receive about one every two or three months, and they get off the line pretty quickly when I explain that they are violating the Regulations. To register your phone number, go to mpsonline.org.uk/tps . This is one government initiative that works very well.

You can also register your fax line, land lines, and even your snail mailing address. The only unsolicited marketing approaches you can't block are SMS text messages.

Iain
27th February 2007, 17:10
I was aware of it for landlines, but didn't know it applied to mobiles and other forms of communication too. Thanks for the advice. :)

Storm
28th February 2007, 08:07
I used to get stupid tele marketing calls to my cell phone from my own network twice a day !! I got fed up and registered for their do not call service, and since then my phone hardly ever rings. ;)

Infact promotional SMS from my service have also stopped. phew

Mark
28th February 2007, 08:17
I think it was them who tried to call me about a year ago. They kept saying "Your O2 contract is about to expire", it wasn't. On the third call I totally jumped down their throat and yelled and screamed at them to stop calling me, they haven't called back.

And now my mobile is on TPS.

Iain
28th February 2007, 14:05
Just registered it there. Another one this morning about 10.30am. Phone was on silent and I was fast asleep though, so didn't disturb me.

Dave B
28th February 2007, 16:23
It can take up to four weeks for the calls to stop, as companies "cleanse" their databases against the TPS list. But trust me, it does work. A few rogue companies flout the rules, mainly those based abroad, but coupled with caller ID you need never answer a sales call ever again :)

Hazell B
28th February 2007, 16:40
Am I the only person who's never had a single marketing call to my mobile?

I hand out the number like sweeties to anyone who asks (you have to if you run your own business) yet never get bothered at all.

slinkster
28th February 2007, 18:35
Am I the only person who's never had a single marketing call to my mobile?

I hand out the number like sweeties to anyone who asks (you have to if you run your own business) yet never get bothered at all.

Same here! Other than the very occasional text from my mobile provider though I don't get many cold calls at all.

LotusElise
28th February 2007, 21:50
I only get them very rarely. I did have a problem with junk texts not long after getting my first phone, but a call to my network sorted them out somehow. I can't remember what they did exactly.

My landline is TPS-registered and never gets sales calls.