PDA

View Full Version : Australian GP looks into venue change

CNR
1st March 2010, 13:49
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/avalon-bid-for-australian-formula-1-grand-prix/story-e6frf7jo-1225835105704

A PLAN to move the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix to a purpose-built, $200 million race circuit at Avalon is being considered in an attempt to keep the event in Victoria.

Linfox director Andrew Fox told the Sunday Herald Sun his family was prepared to foot the $200 million to build the circuit, meaning taxpayers would not be left to shoulder the cost.

i hope this does not mean the end of phillip island race track
http://www.linfox.com/About-Linfox/Our-other-Businesses.aspx

Linfox Property Group

Linfox Property Group manages property leasing to support the Logistics operations across the Asia Pacific region. The Property Group also owns the Phillip Island Grand Prix Racetrack, the home of the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix.

Mark
1st March 2010, 14:03
That would be a shame. We'll end up with another Tilke-drome when we already have the unique venue of Albert Park.

V12
1st March 2010, 14:50
If it gets moved the only place I'd want it to go to is Adelaide (providing they fix the track, as I believe it uses a shorter layout these days, but all the old streets are still there surely!).

Although if they did that they'd need to move it to the last race of the season.

DexDexter
1st March 2010, 15:20
If it gets moved the only place I'd want it to go to is Adelaide (providing they fix the track, as I believe it uses a shorter layout these days, but all the old streets are still there surely!).

Although if they did that they'd need to move it to the last race of the season.

:up:

Adelaide was always a great race, it was stupid to leave the place.

UltimateDanGTR
1st March 2010, 16:15
ever heard of the phrase 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'?

Mr fox, please, just let the event be kept at melbourne. its a great location and maybe a flat track, but i think its interesting

DazzlaF1
1st March 2010, 16:45
:up:

Adelaide was always a great race, it was stupid to leave the place.

I agree, what exactly was wrong with Adelaide?

Back then it was one of my most favourite tracks

52Paddy
1st March 2010, 17:39
I like many Australian tracks that have been used over the years. I wouldn't mind the GP at one of the old stock circuits like: Adelaide, Bathurst (what an experience that would be!), Philip Island or Oran Park (does that even still exist?).

But another new track isn't a good move in my opinion as there is already a good selection to choose from.

steveaki13
1st March 2010, 18:06
Should certainly stay at Albert Park or be moved back to Adelaide IMO. We don't need a change of venue to another middle of the road track, we have to very atmospheric circuits already. As UltimateDan GTR said: If it ain't broke don't fix it.

christophulus
1st March 2010, 18:29
Australia does seem to have plenty of tracks to choose from, and I see no reason to leave Albert Park. We may be forgetting Bernie's hand in all this though, Melbourne said no to a night race, maybe a purpose built track would give him what he wants?

K-Pu
1st March 2010, 19:25
Why poking around if things are alright?

Could it be because the hypothetic new track offers more money to Mr. Bernie "The-Personification-of-Greed" Ecclestone?

Sorry, I went too far with that of personification...

Itīs more like a Dwarfication.

Sonic
1st March 2010, 19:49
I like many Australian tracks that have been used over the years. I wouldn't mind the GP at one of the old stock circuits like: Adelaide, Bathurst (what an experience that would be!), Philip Island or Oran Park (does that even still exist?).

But another new track isn't a good move in my opinion as there is already a good selection to choose from.

On the subject of Bathurst, I seem to recall a plan that wqould have created a shorter GP layout that utilised some parts of the great track but skipped bits that were unsuitable (the mountain) - or was I high and that never happened? You decide.

Bernie seems to have set his sights on Oz now that his personal war with Silverstone is over - for now! It started with his push for a new start time and he has been making noises about leaving Albert Park.

Much as I don't want the GP to leave the Park (I said as much about Adelaide) if its that or no Australian GP I'll plump for a new track.

steveaki13
1st March 2010, 20:07
Much as I don't want the GP to leave the Park (I said as much about Adelaide) if its that or no Australian GP I'll plump for a new track.

I have to agree that if its a change of venue or no Oz GP I choose the former.
I just hope it doesn't come to that.

driveace
1st March 2010, 20:13
I have driven round the old Adelaide street Circuit,Albert Park in South Melbourne,and also Bathurst.i consider Bathurst too far away from Sydney,or any large town for the spectators ,plus Mount Panorama is not for F1 cars,plus the rest of the circuit is not testing enough.Adelaide would be good again,but is a flat street circuit,that is still marked by the red and white kerbs,BUT what is wrong with Albert Park? I dont think a change would provide any thing better

Ranger
1st March 2010, 21:51
We already have enough good circuits as it is.

Wouldn't mind seeing F1 cars around Phillip Island though!

Rollo
1st March 2010, 22:27
Is this story credible?

To build a purpose circuit at Avalon, you'd need to buy up lots of land. The only place conceivably where that could be possible would be on the eastern side of Pousties Rd, across the street from the airport, on the Point Wilson side.

Secondly, how would anyone make a venue like this pay? I mean other circuits like Calder and Sandown aren't exactly runaway commercial successes are they? Unless of course there are plans to upgrade Avalon airport and use the facilities as extra runways and whatnot.

Phillip Island is an already excellent venue. Presumably it's harder to get an FIM accreditation than an FIA one, so why not "upgrade" it?

Sonic
1st March 2010, 22:37
Is this story credible?

To build a purpose circuit at Avalon, you'd need to buy up lots of land. The only place conceivably where that could be possible would be on the eastern side of Pousties Rd, across the street from the airport, on the Point Wilson side.

Secondly, how would anyone make a venue like this pay? I mean other circuits like Calder and Sandown aren't exactly runaway commercial successes are they? Unless of course there are plans to upgrade Avalon airport and use the facilities as extra runways and whatnot.

Phillip Island is an already excellent venue. Presumably it's harder to get an FIM accreditation than an FIA one, so why not "upgrade" it?

Let's not wreck the island by adapting it for f1! Its a great bike track but would be ruined if altered to F1 standards.

CNR
1st March 2010, 22:38
Is this story credible?

all the land is all ready owned by the one that wants to build the new race track

Linfox operates airports at Avalon . Avalon is also home to the Australian International Airshow

ShiftingGears
1st March 2010, 23:05

They'd put tarmac all over Phillip Island, and it would be a great shame. Bathurst would never happen unless they bulldozed the mountain, and Oran Park got its final send-off with the V8 Supercars not that long ago. It was sold to developers.

Basically the choice of existing circuits is either Albert Park or Adelaide. Or overseas.

I have no faith in circuit designers based on new F1 tracks. Especially considering that the proposed location of this circuit is as flat as a tack.

ShiftingGears
1st March 2010, 23:14
As far as road courses in Australia go, I'm trying to imagine F1 at Lobethal, South Australia. Hosted the Australian Grand Prix once upon a time.

http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/Australia/Lobethal.gif

Laps were 13.8km. Yikes. http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/archives/Lobethal/index.html

On the subject of Bathurst, I seem to recall a plan that wqould have created a shorter GP layout that utilised some parts of the great track but skipped bits that were unsuitable (the mountain) - or was I high and that never happened? You decide.

No I remember. What a stupid idea that was. Racing on the Mount Panorama track without actually racing on the mountain would be like trying to have sex with all your clothes on. It totally misses the point.

Rollo
2nd March 2010, 00:17
all the land is all ready owned by the one that wants to build the new race track

Linfox owns Avalon airport, correct but as far as I understand it, the land on the other side of Pousties Rd is owned by the Commonwealth and forms part of its East Coast Armament Complex or some such.

Certainly the last time I went to Melbourne flying Jetstar, there were Dept of Defence signs up.

turismo6
2nd March 2010, 02:13
I can see how the teams would like it, because all the f1 gear lands at Avalon and not at Tullamarine. Avalon is in the middle of nowhere and the Princes fwy can't handle that sort of traffic volume... ie airshow.

Valve Bounce
2nd March 2010, 02:43

Running the AGP in the middle of the night could be a problem in Adelaide; and I think the idea of the move to Avalon is so the race can be held at night.
The main attraction, apart from the excellent race-track, is the public transport to Albert Park. Anyone who has taken a tram there from the city will testify to that.
The main drawback of Albert Park is its close proximity to residents as it is surrounded by residents who hate the noise, and hate the disruption and hate motor racing.

Valve Bounce
2nd March 2010, 02:52
I can see how the teams would like it, because all the f1 gear lands at Avalon and not at Tullamarine. Avalon is in the middle of nowhere and the Princes fwy can't handle that sort of traffic volume... ie airshow.

But then, if Lindsay Fox is going to spend $200mill to build a raceway near the airport, the ideal place would be north of the airport close to the railway line. A special siding there for use of GP transport would work.

rah
2nd March 2010, 03:32
Take it back to Adelaide. I love to watch V8SC there and it is a great track. Although Melbourne is probably more spectator friendly. Went to the last F1 at Adelaide and it was a good event.

Another option is a street circuit at Sydney Olympic Park in Homebush. V8SC went there last year and it was great to watch. But the track would need a lot of work.

curry
2nd March 2010, 10:45
Am I the only person, Australian at that, that thinks Albert Park produces boring races. I sometimes wonder if people like it because it has historically been the first race of the season which brings with it, its own hype.

How many genuine overtakes last year or the year before that? Mind you I could lump half the season in to that basket.

Valve Bounce
2nd March 2010, 11:10
Am I the only person, Australian at that, that thinks Albert Park produces boring races. I sometimes wonder if people like it because it has historically been the first race of the season which brings with it, its own hype.

How many genuine overtakes last year or the year before that? Mind you I could lump half the season in to that basket.

You need to switch to watching Moto or V8's. Forget Albert Park, forget F1 already.

AJP
2nd March 2010, 11:27
Secondly, how would anyone make a venue like this pay? I mean other circuits like Calder and Sandown aren't exactly runaway commercial successes are they?

Calder is no success because it is a horrible race track. Sandown is ok, but nothing special.

Phillip Island is a short circuit for an F1 car. Plus, too far away from Melbourne and no accommodation close by.

AJP
2nd March 2010, 11:30
As for Avalon, I guess it could work. The Fox's are car fanatics.....if there is anyone in Australia that could pull this off, it would be his family.

It's only an hour form Melbourne, So I guess it could work well...

AndyL
2nd March 2010, 12:34
As far as road courses in Australia go, I'm trying to imagine F1 at Lobethal, South Australia. Hosted the Australian Grand Prix once upon a time.

Laps were 13.8km. Yikes. http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits/archives/Lobethal/index.html

I'd love to see F1 go back to a circuit with a long lap. It would present a new and interesting challenge for today's teams and drivers I think.

AussieV8
3rd March 2010, 00:10
I say bring it on. While Albert Park is a great venue, I can't see it remaining there forever. Eventually the state government will tire of paying the huge cost required to construct the track and grandstands every year. It would also provide Victoria with a truly world class racing facility and something rare in a Australia, a top level permanent facility rather than a street circuit.

As far as the transport goes, this would need to be improved for the Grand Prix. The airshow brings in thousands and this is really stretching the current transport arrangements to capacity. The current public transport is a train from Melbourne or Geelong to Lara and then shuttle buses to the airport.

Lindsay Fox has proposed a rail line into the airport over the years and if they got around to building the line, it would be the obvious way to move thousands of fans into the circuit. It would only be a few km from Lara on the Melbourne - Geelong railway into the airport (and proposed circuit).

Valve Bounce
3rd March 2010, 00:46
I say bring it on. While Albert Park is a great venue, I can't see it remaining there forever. Eventually the state government will tire of paying the huge cost required to construct the track and grandstands every year. It would also provide Victoria with a truly world class racing facility and something rare in a Australia, a top level permanent facility rather than a street circuit.

As far as the transport goes, this would need to be improved for the Grand Prix. The airshow brings in thousands and this is really stretching the current transport arrangements to capacity. The current public transport is a train from Melbourne or Geelong to Lara and then shuttle buses to the airport.

Lindsay Fox has proposed a rail line into the airport over the years and if they got around to building the line, it would be the obvious way to move thousands of fans into the circuit. It would only be a few km from Lara on the Melbourne - Geelong railway into the airport (and proposed circuit).

Let's take another look. The circuit cannot be built at the airport for obvious reasons. So it has to be somewhere else in Avalon, and somewhere near the train track would be the ideal solution. By the way, somebody else mentioned that Lindsay Fox is a car enthusiast - I saw one of his cars when visiting a paint shop: a Dino Ferrari. I mentioned to the guy at the shop that Lindsay Fox would not fit in a Dino Ferrari. :p :

52Paddy
3rd March 2010, 01:16
Let's not wreck the island by adapting it for f1! Its a great bike track but would be ruined if altered to F1 standards.

Having just watched the highlights of the WSBK opener, I agree. It really is a fantastic tracks with great undulations and sweeping bends. If Philip Island had to be altered in any way, I can only believe the work would detract from it, as opposed to making it better. If F1 would not be happy to use it in its current form, then I'd rather see the GP go elsewhere.

What a track that Philip Island is! What a race that superbike event was :D

Mark
3rd March 2010, 09:18
Formula 1 has a distinct lack of venues with character and history these days. As good as the likes of Malaysia, China and Bahrain are, they are rather soulless. You can't say the same of Albert Park, even though it's a relatively new venue.

Recent attempts to add characterful circuits at Singapore and Valencia haven't quite worked IMO. Although Abu Dhabi wasn't bad.

raybak
3rd March 2010, 11:10
We seem to have a love affair with street circuit races here in Australia, mainly due to the V8 taxis I think.

I would love to see a new permanent circuit built that could be used 365 days a year. There seems to be no ideal place though. We have a shortage of tracks in NSW now that Oran Park has been ripped up, yet we have no location that could handle the crowds for an F1.

If the High Speed Rail ever gets built between Sydney and Canberra then maybe Canberra could have a good circuit although with a Green government it probably wouldn't happen. We have our own Nurburgring type road circuit that the cyclists use and would be awesome for long circuit of about 30km. Am going to use most of it for Targa ACT next year :)

If Linfox wants to put $200 million into a permanent circuit then he should go for it, but make sure that the transport infrastructure is going to be in place to handle the crowds. I would love to see a circuit of the calibre of Abu Dhabi or Bahrain, without the dust storms of course :)

We must remember that Calder is a long lost wreck now, too bumpy no real maintenance except for some blue and yellow paint put on early last year on some of the buildings. Sandown can only be used a few times a year. WE don't want to wreck Phillip Island by putting the tarmac run off areas that F1 requires. Albert Park is good, but it's only used 4 days of the year. We need to put that money used to build that circuit every year into the sport. Don't get me wrong I think Albert Park is a good circuit and have driven it many times, but it's still a temporary circuit.

Anyway enough of a rant from me.

Cheers

Ray Baker

ShiftingGears
3rd March 2010, 11:20
If the High Speed Rail ever gets built between Sydney and Canberra

I could not imagine that happening within the next 15-20 years, to be honest.