PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone (or cellphone) is your best defense

Valve Bounce
26th February 2010, 02:49
Very recently there have been as series of road rage incidents where a man in Sydney was attacked with a hammer and stabbed to death. In Melbourne, another man had been stabbed.
I do have a great defense weapon: my mobile phone, which has a camera. I have already worked out a plan in case I am chased, followed or attacked by anyone : I would pull out my mobile phone and point it at the perpetrator after locking (central lock) the doors of my car.

I suppose this method can also apply to students who are approached by undesirables. Nearly every student here has a mobile phone; if they are followed or approached by an undesirable, they can pull out the phone and point it at the person. In today's news, a girl fought off someone who tried to abduct her: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/wouldbe-kidnappers-could-strike-again-police-20100226-p67p.html?autostart=1
It is a pity she did not get a chance to photograph her attacker or the van. It does appear this girl had her wits about her and gave the police a very good description of her attacker and their van.

So! what do you guys think? Any other ideas?

Hondo
26th February 2010, 11:53
Semiautomatic pistol in .45 ACP, red dot laser sight & spare magazine.

Not all undesirables that approach have an undesireable intent. However, if the intent was to be undesireable, that happy red dot of laser light on the tip of their nose, or fixed in their crotch, or dancing around their chest may encourge them to go be undesireable elsewhere. You might even get them to call the police on themselves, on their own phone.

Road rage is pretty much a brought it on yourself situation. Driving next to someone for miles going 1/8 of a mile per hour faster, gonna pass them sooner or later.There are too many complete ers out there puttering around completely oblivious to what is going on around them, but noooooooo, you wanted airbags and seatbelts.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th February 2010, 11:57
No one dares to attack me! :p

Hondo
26th February 2010, 12:07
Who's going to attack a man that is unable to spell his own name twice in a row? they probably feel sorry for you.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th February 2010, 12:08
Who's going to attack a man that is unable to spell his own name twice in a row? they probably feel sorry for you.

I ran out of characters! :p

Daniel
26th February 2010, 12:10
Very recently there have been as series of road rage incidents where a man in Sydney was attacked with a hammer and stabbed to death. In Melbourne, another man had been stabbed.
I do have a great defense weapon: my mobile phone, which has a camera. I have already worked out a plan in case I am chased, followed or attacked by anyone : I would pull out my mobile phone and point it at the perpetrator after locking (central lock) the doors of my car.

I suppose this method can also apply to students who are approached by undesirables. Nearly every student here has a mobile phone; if they are followed or approached by an undesirable, they can pull out the phone and point it at the person. In today's news, a girl fought off someone who tried to abduct her: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/wouldbe-kidnappers-could-strike-again-police-20100226-p67p.html?autostart=1
It is a pity she did not get a chance to photograph her attacker or the van. It does appear this girl had her wits about her and gave the police a very good description of her attacker and their van.

So! what do you guys think? Any other ideas?
if someone gets out of their car to attack you VB, you drive off. Happened to me once and I called the Police who later found the twonk :)

Mark
26th February 2010, 12:35
It's alright saying that but I have trouble enough getting the phone out of my pocket before the caller rings off, never mind getting it out, unlocking it, selecting the camera and pointing it in a vaguely right direction and taking the picture.

As Daniel says, your car is your best asset if someone comes at you, lock the doors and depart quickly.

DexDexter
26th February 2010, 12:39
Cellphone is a good defense indeed. My friend and I were waiting for a taxi a while back when a drunken lad started to pick a fight with my friend. What did I do? Started filming and told it to the guy, who immediately calmed down and warned me not to post the thing on Youtube. :D

Valve Bounce
27th February 2010, 01:19
if someone gets out of their car to attack you VB, you drive off. Happened to me once and I called the Police who later found the twonk :)

It appears that the modus operandi of some of these bullies/hoodlums is to hit someone's car with their bumper, then when you stop to check for any damage they attack. In fact, that was how Dr Victor Chang was murdered.

In case anyone wants to know who Dr Victor Chang was, use Google.