PDA

View Full Version : Extension of SAFER barrier will narrow Bristol in turns

tstran17_88
26th February 2010, 00:29
http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/headlines/cup/02/24/bristol.safer.addition/index.html

When the Sprint Cup and Nationwide series cars return to Bristol Motor Speedway in March, drivers may feel like they're missing something -- like almost three feet of race track exiting two of the corners on the half-mile oval.

It won't be an illusion. The East Tennessee short track is extending the Steel and Foam Energy-Reduction (SAFER) barrier 84 feet coming out of Turns 2 and 4, a move that will narrow those transition areas by about three feet each, and potentially foster tighter racing at the 160,000-seat facility.

"What we're hearing from folks who aren't renewing their tickets, from the majority of them is, it's economically related, and there's not a lot we can do about that," said Kevin Triplett, Bristol's vice president for public affairs. "But we are hearing from a lot of folks who say, Bristol has been known to be tight, and you guys have given them so much room.

"There's an element out there that loves three- and four-wide racing, and there's an element out there that would love it to be a little bit tighter. So we looked at how we could do it keeping the element of safety in mind. We decided, well, we could extend the SAFER barriers. And adding SAFER barriers, we think, is always a good thing."

The alteration, which Triplett said would be completed in time for the March 19-21 race weekend, will not affect Turns 1 and 3. It also does not involve moving the concrete wall, but rather extending the barrier into parts of the frontstretch and backstretch that had previously been uncovered. Some traditional race fans have grumbled about a perceived lack of action on the otherwise popular short track since a 2007 resurfacing which widened the racing surface by about four feet.

"This will take some of that back," Triplett said. "It will narrow it up. It will tighten the transitions in the turns."

Triplett said the idea arose in a meeting a few weeks ago, and that the track's operations team assured management they could get the work done before Bristol's spring NASCAR weekend. The backstretch portion is done, he added, and the frontstretch is almost complete. Triplett said he wasn't sure how the change would ultimately affect the racing at the facility, which has sold out 55 consecutive Cup Series events yet still has tickets available for its upcoming race.

"Honestly, it's one of those things where, how do we respond to some of our fans and still have what we have?" he said. "We don't know what the result will be. We know it's three less feet coming off that transition. How the drivers will adapt to that, we don't know. We'll just have to wait and see how that goes."

71Fan
26th February 2010, 01:01
Great....the toilet bowl will flush even better now.

harvick#1
26th February 2010, 02:41
and they just keep ruining Bristol more and more :(

first the repave job, not just about everyone is gonna wreck by slapping the safer barrier

slorydn1
26th February 2010, 02:50
Why cant they just leave it alone? First they widened it and lowered the banking, creating better racing,but ruining the show.

Now they are going to narrow it back up again,ruining the racing, and I really don't think its going to improve the show much.

call_me_andrew
26th February 2010, 02:51
Let me present a shortened version of this announcement.

"We're sorry. We didn't realize people only watch NASCAR for the crashes. We'll try to make more of them."

harvick#1
26th February 2010, 02:57
Why cant they just leave it alone? First they widened it and lowered the banking, creating better racing,but ruining the show.

Now they are going to narrow it back up again,ruining the racing, and I really don't think its going to improve the show much.

they ruined the track but making it a progressive banking, Bristol was different, if was a true short track. with all the cookie cutters Nascar has on its schedule, I always looked forward to Bristol because the racing was more aggressive. but it became a cookie cutter. the first race on the new banking, had about what. 15 passes between everyone in total.

Martinsville is really the only track with its old school roots in tact. Darlington sort of had that go away for a bit with the repaving, but once the track starts aging again, Darlington will be a great race

The Spring race has been sometimes good, but the Fall race has been total crap, thanks in part to being before the stupid "Chase"

call_me_andrew
26th February 2010, 03:33
I don't think you quite understand what a "cookie cutter" is.

The first race on the repaved Bristol had 12 lead changes. Here's all the scoring loop data for the race: http://www.racing-reference.info/loopdata?id=2007-24&series=W

Lee Roy
26th February 2010, 13:05
I was glad when the re-paved Bristol and added the progressive banking. And if it continues to drive away the "wreck fans", all the better. They're an embarrassment to racing fans.

Mark in Oshawa
27th February 2010, 12:16
I liked the old Bristol. I like the new Bristol. I like Bristol. Sometimes people just like to complain NASCAR isn't the same or they wrecked the racing. Well as much as we all loved the show on the old track config, the fact was that guys did the bump and run all night and we had 14 or 15 yellows and a lot of torn up race cars. The bump and run quite frankly to me is lazy racing. Sometimes guys would pass legitmately. Mark Martin always found a way by without bumping and running, but most just did the Earnhardt Sr. method of driving by braille to get by people. It was silly. Now they can run 2 wide and sometimes 3 wide, yet that is "Boring". I wonder to thos who complain, have you any sense of what you are complaining about? I mean, I saw guys going 2 wide most of the night last August, yet that is boring? So if they wreck a lot, is that BETTER? REALLY? Watching 100 laps under the yellow got old for me, so while I enjoyed some of the tempers flaring, it wasn't really a quality show at all.

call_me_andrew
28th February 2010, 03:40
When you say "old Bristol", you don't mean asphalt Bristol, right?

Mark in Oshawa
28th February 2010, 08:45
When you say "old Bristol", you don't mean asphalt Bristol, right?

I am not old enough to really remember it except in grainy old footage. I would accept it in asphalt. I like the layout of a tight half mile with steep banking I think the concrete has been a fairer surface to race on, but the newer incarnation with the progressive banking is more of an even test. The first version of the concrete, the one that turned it into the Roman Colosseum minus the lions was pretty much a test of will and not getting the snot knocked out of you. It wasn't really racing, it was bashing people out of the way who were slower than you. I got tired of 500 lap races with 120 laps under 16 yellows. THAT to me was not really good racing. It was fun, and we saw lots of fights but it wasn't like any other race and that was good in the sense but really it was bad. It made the track as big a freak of nature as Talladega is. Even Martinsville, provides a second groove. The old concrete layout did NOT.

Lee Roy
28th February 2010, 18:18
I actually preferred Bristol before the high banking.

dunes
1st March 2010, 00:58
Which track was it that got a dirt face lift for some anniversary or something a few years back[10 maybe]?
Also I've seen alot of races both at Bristol and on tv at Bristol and I can't remember a bad race there. Sure there were bad things happen but the race itself, to me anyways, was allways a good one.
I think the safer barriers are a little much there but I won't argue the safty points of it. Furthermore the tighter the better.

call_me_andrew
1st March 2010, 01:37
Bristol was temporarily converted to a dirt track a few times. I don't know why they stopped doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00OmJPBld-I

dunes
1st March 2010, 01:49
It was the coolest thing I ever saw at night no less.

71Fan
1st March 2010, 03:27
Just my opinion....give me a flat half-mile over a banked one any day of the week.