PDA

View Full Version : Microwave ovens

schmenke
24th February 2010, 17:57
Do you use it much when cooking?

Just about the only thing we use ours for is re-heating leftovers and making popcorn. It seems to be a ubiquitous fixture in every kitchen, but I sometimes wonder if we'd really miss it if it were removed. :mark:

Donney
24th February 2010, 18:36
I don't understand the rules of this new word game... :dozey:

:p :

But apart from what scmenke said before I sometimes use it to heat milk... I wouldn't miss it if mine disappeared...

Langdale Forest
24th February 2010, 19:13
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

RhjHAPw1q-M

GridGirl
24th February 2010, 19:19
We don't have one at home.

Slightly off topic but something else everyone has in their kitchen and never eat's. Yep, you've got it...the humble Pot Noodle. I ate the one we had on Sunday and realised why they just sit there never getting eaten. Not good.

christophulus
24th February 2010, 19:25
I use it quite a lot, I microwave vegetables quite a lot rather than boiling them, and it's a quick way to do baked potatoes and various other things.

Slightly off topic but something else everyone has in their kitchen and never eat's. Yep, you've got it...the humble Pot Noodle. I ate the one we had on Sunday and realised why they just sit there never getting eaten. Not good.

Ha, I threw one of those out the other day. Expired over a year ago (although I've never figured out how dried food can really 'expire'..)

Brown, Jon Brow
24th February 2010, 22:55
Beans only really, although being a student I often make use of microwave ready meals.

tannat
24th February 2010, 22:57
I use it from time to time in the kitchen, but it is great in the lab for quick warming water, agarose, and other items...

BDunnell
24th February 2010, 22:59
I only use the microwave for the timer on it.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th February 2010, 23:02
Actually ours has some useful features depending on what you are cooking. It has a pie heating function that takes into account the weight of the pie and it doesn't make the pastry soggy :D

wedge
25th February 2010, 00:27
Mainly use mine for defrosting meat and occasional ready meals

Valve Bounce
25th February 2010, 04:02
Do not microwave anything in a plastic container or covered with plastic. If you don't believe me, ask an Oncologist (Doctors who look after cancer patients).

Easy Drifter
25th February 2010, 04:18
Good for reheating coffee and drying scalps. :eek:

Storm
25th February 2010, 07:40
re-heating stuff.
and sometimes to thaw some frozen meat or something like that..

Dave B
25th February 2010, 09:25
I find that once you've boiled and drained rice, a minute in the microwave makes it go gloriously fluffy.

Other than that we only use ours for reheating takaways or warming up milk for my bedtime Ovaltine (and yes I'm getting old!)

Daniel
25th February 2010, 09:29
Actually ours has some useful features depending on what you are cooking. It has a pie heating function that takes into account the weight of the pie and it doesn't make the pastry soggy :D
I prefer my pastry soggy :p

Valve Bounce
25th February 2010, 09:29
I find that once you've boiled and drained rice, a minute in the microwave makes it go gloriously fluffy.

Other than that we only use ours for reheating takaways or warming up milk for my bedtime Ovaltine (and yes I'm getting old!)

Dave! you don't boil and drain rice - you use a rice cooker. Perfect rice every time. I buy a super Basmatti rice from Costco, and it is even better than Tilda.

Daniel
25th February 2010, 09:30

You should try Veetee rice Dave. Stuff the whole boiling rice thing! http://www.veetee.com/ 2 minutes in the microwave and you have perfect rice.

Daniel
25th February 2010, 09:31
Dave! you don't boil and drain rice - you use a rice cooker. Perfect rice every time. I buy a super Basmatti rice from Costco, and it is even better than Tilda.
I buy Veetee rice from Costco and it's better even than stuff from a rice cooker :D

Valve Bounce
25th February 2010, 09:35
I buy Veetee rice from Costco and it's better even than stuff from a rice cooker :D

I already posted above that heating anything in plastic in a microwave is dodgy. And if you don't believe me, just ask an Oncologist.

Daniel
25th February 2010, 09:48
I already posted above that heating anything in plastic in a microwave is dodgy. And if you don't believe me, just ask an Oncologist.
Looking on Google it appears to be a myth.

Dave B
25th February 2010, 10:01
I do a hundred things every day that supposedly increase my chances of various illnesses, I'm damned if I'm having soggy rice on a million-to-one chance. :p

This is the recipe I use, with Thai rice rather than Basmati, and with a quick nuke at the end:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/fragrantpilaurice_67870.shtml

Mark
25th February 2010, 10:48
We use the microwave mainly for rice (all of the cooking) and scrambled eggs!

Daniel
25th February 2010, 10:50
We use the microwave mainly for rice (all of the cooking) and scrambled eggs!
Scrambled eggs are always rank IMHO when microwaved :p

Dave B
25th February 2010, 10:52
Not always. A bit of butter, a little drop of milk, some pepper and optionally a tiny sprinkling of thyme; and don't overcook it. Lovely gesg.

Daniel
25th February 2010, 11:06
Not always. A bit of butter, a little drop of milk, some pepper and optionally a tiny sprinkling of thyme; and don't overcook it. Lovely gesg.
Fried is always better!!!!! :p

CaptainRaiden
25th February 2010, 11:10
Cooks perfect rice in my kitchen. Put rice in a glass bowl, throw in green peas, salt and water, it's done perfectly in half an hour. And the best part, doesn't get stuck to the bottom.

Apart from that, yeah, reheating stuff.

Valve Bounce
25th February 2010, 11:39
Looking on Google it appears to be a myth.

Yeah! here's the link: http://www.google.com.au/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENAU368&q=Cooking+with+plastic+in+a+microwave&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3D&aq=f&oq=

Daniel
25th February 2010, 11:41
Yeah! here's the link: http://www.google.com.au/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENAU368&q=Cooking+with+plastic+in+a+microwave&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3D&aq=f&oq=
Good ole snopes :)

Valve Bounce
25th February 2010, 11:47
Good ole snopes :)

I will tell you one thing:If my doctor told me cooking with plastic containers causes Cancer, I'd listen to him. I can also tell you that 5 weeks of radiation treatment for cancer is very debilitating, and if one goes the Chemo therapy route, that is not only hellish suffering, but it may not work. I've had three close relatives die of Cancer, and have another just through 5 weeks of radiation, so I'd rather listen to my doctor than choose a favorable link in Google.

pino
25th February 2010, 11:55
We only use it for warming milk, water and soups from the day before, never for cooking :s

... and scrambled eggs!

scrambled eggs ? :eek: I knew you were lazy...but not that much :p :

Daniel
25th February 2010, 12:01
I will tell you one thing:If my doctor told me cooking with plastic containers causes Cancer, I'd listen to him. I can also tell you that 5 weeks of radiation treatment for cancer is very debilitating, and if one goes the Chemo therapy route, that is not only hellish suffering, but it may not work. I've had three close relatives die of Cancer, and have another just through 5 weeks of radiation, so I'd rather listen to my doctor than choose a favorable link in Google.
Doctors will always err on the side of caution VB.

Valve Bounce
25th February 2010, 12:21
Doctors will always err on the side of caution VB.

There's new research coming out of Germany that my doctor gets, and that the surgeon at Peter Mac doesn't know about. What do I know? very little. What somebody tells you is safe today will be dangerous next year, and vice versa. That's all I can tell you.

Dave B
25th February 2010, 12:30
Somebody should alert the Daily Mail so they can add it to their list:

http://kill-or-cure.heroku.com/

Mark in Oshawa
25th February 2010, 15:41
I try to eat as little as possible from the Microwave, and I always cook on a paper towel with a plate under it. Never do the plastic thing if I can help it....

Firstgear
25th February 2010, 16:14
I use the mic mostly for reheating food...and sometimes to dry the kids mittens.