PDA

View Full Version : Madeira

Mark
22nd February 2010, 10:52
I'm sure we've all heard about the terrible events there.
What's worse for me is that I'm due to go there for my honeymoon in May!

GridGirl
22nd February 2010, 13:21
I thought the tourist areas were largely unaffected? Sounds to me, you might need to like sitting next to a pool or something.

Mark
22nd February 2010, 13:45
I thought the tourist areas were largely unaffected? Sounds to me, you might need to like sitting next to a pool or something.

Yeah, the hotel areas are ok apparently. But of course the whole idea of going there was go see the place...

GridGirl
22nd February 2010, 13:54
Sitting next to a pool for 2 days let alone 2 weeks sounds like hell to me. I think your just going to have to start liking it as I doubt you will be able to cancel or transfer your booking when the tourist areas are unaffected.

Dave B
22nd February 2010, 14:12
I'd give it a few days so that the true scale of damage emerges.

How did you book? If it was through a travel agent it may be worth seeing if you can play the honeymoon card to gain their sympathy and change your booking with little or no penalty.

As Gridgirl says, I can't imagine you having any comeback if your actual destination isn't directly affected. But surely on a honeymoon the company is more important than the surroundings! ;)

Mark
22nd February 2010, 15:46
I'd give it a few days so that the true scale of damage emerges.

How did you book? If it was through a travel agent it may be worth seeing if you can play the honeymoon card to gain their sympathy and change your booking with little or no penalty.

Nah, directly booked flights with easyJet and a hotel through a travel agent on Madeira.

Langdale Forest
22nd February 2010, 18:41
Hope things all go to plan. :)

J4MIE
22nd February 2010, 21:58
Hopefully it will still be ok, best to wait until all the info is available but the place will probably need tourists to still visit to bring in money. I'm sure it won't be a problem and will still be a nice place to visit :cool:

Daniel
24th February 2010, 14:41
I do like a good bit of madeira cake :facelick:

PuddleJumper
28th February 2010, 01:06
I'm sure we've all heard about the terrible events there.
What's worse for me is that I'm due to go there for my honeymoon in May!
My advice, go anyway. Now more than ever they need people to visit. The island relies on tourism as it's main source of income. So long as the place you're staying hasn't been affected there's no reason to think most things won't be back to normal by May.

airshifter
28th February 2010, 05:34
My advice, go anyway. Now more than ever they need people to visit. The island relies on tourism as it's main source of income. So long as the place you're staying hasn't been affected there's no reason to think most things won't be back to normal by May.

Agreed. And if things aren't back to normal it might make the trip that much better really.

Over the years I was fortunate enough to travel to some areas of the world where life wasn't very great for the average person. After doing so it made me realize just how easy life is for us in larger developed nations and how much we take for granted.

If people are still struggling to rebuild when Mark goes, it might be an eye opener to how fortunate he is to have just been married and have the money for such a holiday.