PDA

View Full Version : Owner Points

Osella
27th February 2007, 11:06
I know that because of MW's move of buying an entry last season there was a lot of talk about buying other people's owner points.

NASCAR was, I believe, considering stopping this practice but I'm not sure if they had done anything about it or not.. Was the upshot something like an owner could not transfer their points between cars more than once a season?

Most teams cannot do this between their own cars due to sponsor commitments etc, but I was wondering about Red Bull; If Vickers continues to qualify for races on pace alone and gets into the top 35 on points, when the owner points are set for this season in a few races time, is it not possible for Red Bull to transfer his points to Allmendinger and therefore have more chance of getting 2 cars in the races..?

cgs
27th February 2007, 12:12
or, they could just swap the drivers over. its not as much of an issue within teams i would imagine but more of an issue when another team buys owner points from a now defuct race team

Lee Roy
27th February 2007, 12:39
or, they could just swap the drivers over.

That would be the easiest thing.

harvick#1
27th February 2007, 16:19
that would be stupid on Red Bull.

why would they swap drivers so AJ can wreck in 50 laps and go right back out of the top 35, when Vickers can get top 10's

djarumdudley
27th February 2007, 17:10
somehow i don't believe Nascar would be too appreciative of of that type of action by Red Bull. that type of switching would be similar to something Petty Enterprises did in the early 80s at Riverside.
The team ran two cars, 42 for Kyle and 43 for Richard. Don't recall the season(81 or 82) but when the season opened at Riverside Richard was in the 42 and Kyle set to run the 43. This was an attempt by the Petty's to get another car onto the Winner's Circle plan if Richard could get the 42 into victory lane. Nascar had Petty Enterprise cease this immediately following the race. So here's an actual precedence for Nascar to maintain the fairness of competition.

BobbyC
27th February 2007, 17:34
somehow i don't believe NASCAR would be too appreciative of of that type of action by Red Bull. that type of switching would be similar to something Petty Enterprises did in the early 80s at Riverside.
The team ran two cars, 42 for Kyle and 43 for Richard. In 1981, the season opened at Riverside. Richard was in the 42 and Kyle set to run the 43. This was an attempt by the Petty's to get another car onto the Winner's Circle plan if Richard could get the 42 into victory lane. NASCAR had Petty Enterprise cease this immediately following the race. So here's an actual precedence for MASCAR to maintain the fairness of competition.

The Winner's Circle is a big-money bonus program NASCAR offers (currently) the ten teams with the most wins (ties broken by points) plus the first two winners not in the program. The ten teams are the 9, 48, 29, 20, 17, 11, 24, 16, 8, and 31.

Winner's Circle teams send a representative to make appearances to assist circuits to promote NNCS events. A team can earn a stipend to appear at races once in the Winner's Circle, and it can be worth over 20% of a team's purse at the end of the race, but has probably increased because of the new television contract.

muggle not
27th February 2007, 17:43
that would be stupid on Red Bull.

why would they swap drivers so AJ can wreck in 50 laps and go right back out of the top 35, when Vickers can get top 10's
Yeah, I agree. why go for a short time arrgt. when you can have it long term.

Osella
27th February 2007, 22:25
The reason would be money... At a time when the Busch series has less than full grids, and the cup series is overloaded, it's pretty much priceless for a new team to get two cars into the race. Even having AJ in 43rd makes more return than having him not qualify! Not to mention the exposure from having Red Bull on the TV twice as many times...

In effect, they are going for the long-term rather than the short term, as then there would be 30 more races for Vickers to get into the top 35 for next season anyway, as well as getting some return from AJ.(maybe! ;) )

harvick#1
27th February 2007, 23:27
if Red Bull was smart, they would only run Brian Vickers in the Cup series, and have AJ run Busch with a select # of races later in the season for cup.

I highly doubt AJ is gonna qualify for many races if entry lists continue to be 52 cars a week.

Osella
28th February 2007, 00:00
Exactly, so the only way might be to take over the 83's points..
But Red Bull aren't always smart, they do like AJ tho, bought him a CART ride, bought him another CART ride, bought him a NASCAR ride...jeez, when you think of the number of drivers they've dropped over the last 2 or 3 years who 'haven't made the grade', I can't see them dropping him down from Cup without giving him every chance first (even to the detriment of Vickers).

blakebeatty
1st March 2007, 03:48
if Red Bull was smart, they would only run Brian Vickers in the Cup series, and have AJ run Busch with a select # of races later in the season for cup.

I highly doubt AJ is gonna qualify for many races if entry lists continue to be 52 cars a week.

if you are building cup cars, with cup engines, testing cup set ups with an infastructure of people working on a cup car, then i would think that it would be simpler and cheaper to have a second cup car then start a busch specific section of the operation.