PDA

View Full Version : De Ferran back in the game

bblocker68
16th February 2010, 17:23
Glad to see you back in IndyCar, Gil (In whatever form)!!

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=15764

Steve Luczo and Jay Penske, co-owners of Luczo Dragon Racing, have welcomed a partner.

Gil de Ferran, owner of de Ferran Motorsports and the 2003 Indianapolis 500 winner, will serve as co-owner, president and managing partner of Luczo Dragon Racing/de Ferran Motorsports in the IZOD IndyCar Series.

After spending the past two years as driver and team owner of de Ferran Motorsports in the American Le Mans Series, de Ferran has been focused on bringing his championship experience to the IZOD IndyCar Series. The decision to join forces with Luczo Dragon Racing is based on a desire from both teams to build one of the most advanced and high technology motorsports operations in North America.

"We have been talking to Gil about this for some time and we felt this was the perfect opportunity to combine our resources," Luczo said. "Gil has the experience of working with major manufacturers and leading racing teams all over the world and we feel we can bring the essential business acumen and managerial expertise to the operation. Our skills are highly complementary and we all have the same vision and ambitions. We're very excited about the direction of our team."

The combined skills of the three partners will create a formidable framework around which to operate. Penske, the youngest son of Roger Penske, has built an impressive media and publishing firm while maintaining a close interest in the sport. Luczo is chairman and CEO of Seagate Technologies, while de Ferran's successes are well documented in the world of motorsport as a driver and more recently a team owner.

"Gil and I have known each other for 10 years - when he started racing for my father," Penske said. "Gil has always had ambitions outside of the car and Steve and I have been talking to him about working together for some time. Luczo Dragon Racing and de Ferran Motorsports will live together. We all share the same vision for the future in this industry and with our combined skills we are confident that we can make a real success story of this new venture. We have the resources and the knowledge to build a great motorsport organization together."

Said de Ferran: "This is a hugely exciting announcement. Our aim is to put together a state-of-the-art motorsports operation with a sharp focus in high technology and developing the science of performance. We have a very talented driver in Raphael Matos who has been a winner at every level he raced and showed great potential already last year, becoming rookie of the year. The foundation is set and with our collective resources and leadership we hope to break new ground and become one of the most competitive teams in the IZOD IndyCar Series."

Luczo Dragon Racing was formed in 2007 with Ryan Briscoe finishing fifth in the Indianapolis 500, the team's initial race. After a limited schedule in 2008, Luczo Dragon ran a full season in 2009 and claimed the Apex-Brasil Rookie of the Year title Award with Matos behind the wheel.

garyshell
16th February 2010, 20:25
Welcome back Gil!!!

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
16th February 2010, 21:26
Good to see Gil back in the game....and Jay Penske is an excellent partner....

NY2IA
16th February 2010, 21:38
Great to see Gil back in Indy car! Class act.

DanicaFan
16th February 2010, 22:14
This is good news indeed. :)

anthonyvop
17th February 2010, 03:32
This is good news indeed. :)

Is it?

I see a big name former driver and a big name team owner having to merge in order to make the grid.

garyshell
17th February 2010, 03:46
Is it?

I see a big name former driver and a big name team owner having to merge in order to make the grid.

As always, YOUR glass is half empty.

Gary

NickFalzone
17th February 2010, 04:09
This is good news in the sense the De Ferran will be actively part of the IRL in 2010. This is not so great news in that the expected 2 teams (Gil's and young Penske's) will now just be a single team. Possible upside is that this merged team MAY have 2 cars. If it's just a 1 car, then count me underwhelmed.

Scotty G.
17th February 2010, 05:12
First thing that needs to be done is come up with a better name for this team.

Luzco-Dragon/deFerren Motorsports doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

DanicaFan
17th February 2010, 05:15
This is good news in the sense the De Ferran will be actively part of the IRL in 2010. This is not so great news in that the expected 2 teams (Gil's and young Penske's) will now just be a single team. Possible upside is that this merged team MAY have 2 cars. If it's just a 1 car, then count me underwhelmed.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we can see 2 cars on the grid with this merger.

cartslut
17th February 2010, 05:48
I'm confused.

The other articles describe it as a merger of the two teams.

Typically, in a merger, there's a combination of assets. What physical assets does Gil bring to the merger? The technology Gil's team developed in the ALMS series is not transferable to a spec series.

It almost sounds like Gil is an employee.

Civic
17th February 2010, 07:32
Gil probably has a shop, transporters, former employees that may need employment, tools, etc.

anthonyvop
17th February 2010, 15:39
As always, YOUR glass is half empty.

Gary

Reality seems to upset people.

Falling short of potential is nothing to applaud.

The potential was two teams with 4 cars on the grid.
What we have is 1 team and 1 car.

No improvement of the number of cars on the grid. No improvement of the number of teams.

Yipeeee?????

SarahFan
17th February 2010, 15:44
best of luck to Gil...

but reality is during the final couple years of champcar we saw them chase foriegn sanctiong checks.....roll out an allnew chassis..

and yes .... teams mergeing..

anthony is correct on this..... what was being touted as two teams and four cars early on looks to be taking the grid with 1....

SarahFan
17th February 2010, 15:44
Gil probably has a shop, transporters, former employees that may need employment, tools, etc.

but for 1 car?

garyshell
17th February 2010, 15:57
Reality seems to upset people.

Falling short of potential is nothing to applaud.

The potential was two teams with 4 cars on the grid.
What we have is 1 team and 1 car.

No improvement of the number of cars on the grid. No improvement of the number of teams.

Yipeeee?????

No, what folks take issue with is your continued insistence that only you have an understanding of what reality is.

Hmmm, it seems to me that as of a few weeks ago Gil had closed up shop and was done. That was zero potential. Now we have Gil joining forces with another team. Sure if you compare this to last fall when Gil initially announced his intentions (you skewed sense of reality), the glass is half empty. But if you compare it to the REALITY that we had last week, the glass is half full.

Gary

SarahFan
17th February 2010, 16:12
No, what folks take issue with is your continued insistence that only you have an understanding of what reality is.

Hmmm, it seems to me that as of a few weeks ago Gil had closed up shop and was done. That was zero potential. Now we have Gil joining forces with another team. Sure if you compare this to last fall when Gil initially announced his intentions (you skewed sense of reality), the glass is half empty. But if you compare it to the REALITY that we had last week, the glass is half full.

Gary

off season is off season.....

yes its great that Gil will be in the paddock.....but this is far less than even you can spin

IMSA
17th February 2010, 16:37
Merger? What was there to merger?

Shop? Leased....

Transporter and other equipment? Owned by Honda...

Employees? Gil and Robert Clarke... takes job with former employers son.

Anthony -- there was never an IndyCar team in place -- only a dream.

bblocker68
17th February 2010, 16:40
Gil is a great asset to the series. I would much rather have him and some of his crew participating in IndyCar with a potential to add another car next year than not having him in the series at all.

I see Jay, Steve and Gil making a formidable combination in the future. I hope we see Simon in an IndyCar next season too!

Mark in Oshawa
17th February 2010, 16:45
Funny, only Ken, Tony and a few other cranks could see Gil back in the series as a negative. His being involved is the best we can hope for....

He wasn't bringing much but his name and energy, but it is better than him sitting on the sidelines.

bblocker68
17th February 2010, 16:46
And think about how it would affect Rafa in a hugely positive way by having a countyman and probably one of his idles joining your team..............

Chris R
17th February 2010, 17:28
Mark summed it up pretty well... Having Gil involved in the series is a great asset....

No doubt this is a disappointment relative to last year's optimism regarding deFerran - however it if makes for one quality team that is here for the long haul than so be it - that is better than two more questionable teams....

anthonyvop
17th February 2010, 18:16
Funny, only Ken, Tony and a few other cranks could see Gil back in the series as a negative. His being involved is the best we can hope for....

He wasn't bringing much but his name and energy, but it is better than him sitting on the sidelines.

Gil back in the Series is good news.
But Gil being back without a two car team is not.

garyshell
17th February 2010, 19:06

Glass half empty again eh Tony? Hey barkeep, fill 'em up.

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
17th February 2010, 19:48

Tony, last week he was just a spectator. With the economy sucking wind, may I point out the number of jobs lost in Charlotte with the decline of a few NASCAR efforts where the sponsors have ponied up cash? To keep Gil in the sport is a good thing.....

anthonyvop
17th February 2010, 20:37
Glass half empty again eh Tony? Hey barkeep, fill 'em up.

Gary

in this case it is 1/4 full......better than nothing though.

anthonyvop
17th February 2010, 20:38
Tony, last week he was just a spectator.
6 months ago he was coming with a full 2 car effort..........

Having Gil in the series is a plus but I am just reluctant to jump up and cheer that this is the sign of the great Indy Car turn around.

SarahFan
17th February 2010, 20:57

I certainly didn't call it a negative....

just calling it for what it is....which isnt much

Mark in Oshawa
17th February 2010, 22:18
I certainly didn't call it a negative....

just calling it for what it is....which isnt much

I hear ya....but I don't think anyone was fooled into thinking this is a fabulous change in the fortunes of Gil de Ferran or Indycar.

SarahFan
17th February 2010, 22:33
I hear ya....but I don't think anyone was fooled into thinking this is a fabulous change in the fortunes of Gil de Ferran or Indycar.

then do me a favor.....dont put words in my mouth

Mark in Oshawa
17th February 2010, 22:56
Touchy are we Ken? Ok..I APOLOGIZE.... There..feel better?

SarahFan
17th February 2010, 22:58
Touchy are we Ken? Ok..I APOLOGIZE.... There..feel better?

not touchy at all.....

just hate how reality always gets lumped into negativity

Mark in Oshawa
17th February 2010, 23:02
not touchy at all.....

just hate how reality always gets lumped into negativity

You have to admit, you tip toe up to negativity. Your posting of the ratings last season if not negative in the eyes of some, could have been construed as that. Pouring cold water on the reality of Gil was warranted in the sense the wheel wasn't reinvented by it, but in retropect was my thoughts to. Just many took it as negative, and I lumped you in there.

SarahFan
17th February 2010, 23:06
You have to admit, you tip toe up to negativity. Your posting of the ratings last season if not negative in the eyes of some, could have been construed as that. Pouring cold water on the reality of Gil was warranted in the sense the wheel wasn't reinvented by it, but in retropect was my thoughts to. Just many took it as negative, and I lumped you in there.

the ratings are negative.....thats reality

sorry if that doesnt sit well with you

bblocker68
18th February 2010, 16:17
It could be worse, guys. Look at what's happening over at USF1...............

Mark in Oshawa
18th February 2010, 17:44
the ratings are negative.....thats reality

sorry if that doesnt sit well with you

I never disputed they WOULD be negative. Your posts on that tho were just a repeating saga. It was a dog bites man story....not a man bites dog kind of story. My point to you then and still is why are you surprised or pointing this out? THAT in itself may be the truth, but it was negative for the sake of being negative....

SarahFan
18th February 2010, 22:48
I never disputed they WOULD be negative. Your posts on that tho were just a repeating saga. It was a dog bites man story....not a man bites dog kind of story. My point to you then and still is why are you surprised or pointing this out? THAT in itself may be the truth, but it was negative for the sake of being negative....

classic case of killing the messenger

Mark in Oshawa
18th February 2010, 23:13
classic case of killing the messenger

We heard the message about 18 times last year...tell me something new.....

SarahFan
18th February 2010, 23:25
We heard the message about 18 times last year...tell me something new.....

solution is/was simple

dont click on the thread if your not interested in the topic

pretty simple

NickFalzone
19th February 2010, 01:50
Ken at a certain point it just becomes grating, and "don't click the thread" is an empty excuse. It would be like posting on a golf forum every week or two about how tv ratings are down since Tiger Woods left. Yes, this tournament and that tournament may have lower ratings. Yes, the whole PGA may have lower ratings. But complaining about it every week is not going to fix the problem, and it's just going to grate on those that are on the forum to talk about exciting things going on in the series, not harp on a negative everyone is familiar with to the nth degree.

SarahFan
19th February 2010, 02:11
Ken at a certain point it just becomes grating, and "don't click the thread" is an empty excuse. It would be like posting on a golf forum every week or two about how tv ratings are down since Tiger Woods left. Yes, this tournament and that tournament may have lower ratings. Yes, the whole PGA may have lower ratings. But complaining about it every week is not going to fix the problem, and it's just going to grate on those that are on the forum to talk about exciting things going on in the series, not harp on a negative everyone is familiar with to the nth degree.

perhaps you should suggest a biz forum to the administrators

SarahFan
19th February 2010, 16:44
Perhaps everyone should talk about the racing and not each other.

is the biz of the sport off limits?

SarahFan
19th February 2010, 19:00
Of course not. But the sniping back and forth is.

As a mod ymmv.... But seemed pretty one sided to me

chuck34
19th February 2010, 19:26
is the biz of the sport off limits?

Ken, as I and others keep telling you ... you are completely correct in saying that the ratings are part of "the biz". We all conceed that. I'll shout it from the rooftops if that will make you feel better.

The point is that this is a DISCUSSION FORUM. You almost never want to discuss anything. You "post without comment". THAT is what gets really old. If you would at the very least present your plan on how those ratings, that you so eloquently point out are part of "the biz", could be better then at least we could have a DISCUSSION about "the biz".

I know, I know, you don't have to tell me again, I won't click on your threads. They bore me anyway because you don't DISCUSS anything in them.

SarahFan
19th February 2010, 22:22
Ken, as I and others keep telling you ... you are completely correct in saying that the ratings are part of "the biz". We all conceed that. I'll shout it from the rooftops if that will make you feel better.

The point is that this is a DISCUSSION FORUM. You almost never want to discuss anything. You "post without comment". THAT is what gets really old. If you would at the very least present your plan on how those ratings, that you so eloquently point out are part of "the biz", could be better then at least we could have a DISCUSSION about "the biz".

I know, I know, you don't have to tell me again, I won't click on your threads. They bore me anyway because you don't DISCUSS anything in them.

simple solution....whining like a little b&%#h doesn't change it

Mark in Oshawa
22nd February 2010, 06:00

Ken is the guy standing in the parking lot saying it is raining as he gets wet, but doesn't want to discuss buying the umbrella or maybe coming inside? lol....

Ken, isn't that I dont think you are smart enough or enough of a fan of the sport to comment, I think you could add something or toss out an opinion or two what could be done to change it. THAT is the point of the forum. Some threads we talk about what happens on track, but the last few years, it is the business side. To say week after week the ratings suck or the sport is in trouble is one thing, but add something please.

As for DeFerran, many see this as a half empty glass, becuase his 2 car team didn't materialize and Jay Penske isn't adding cars. The reality of it is, I for one couldn't see how DeFerran was going to go Indycar racing. If NHL couldn't get sponsorship for Graham Rahal, I like to know what hoofa pipe people would have been smoking to think Gil was going to field 2 cars in a series he hadn't owned a team in. A series that by the way cant keep good teams with sponsors on the track, and cannot get money to really strong teams traditionally to keep American born talent.

So I can see the pessimists being correct, but any time anyone has Gil involved, it is BETTER than not having him involved.

SarahFan
22nd February 2010, 14:45
Ken is the guy standing in the parking lot saying it is raining as he gets wet, but doesn't want to discuss buying the umbrella or maybe coming inside? lol....

Ken, isn't that I dont think you are smart enough or enough of a fan of the sport to comment, I think you could add something or toss out an opinion or two what could be done to change it. THAT is the point of the forum. Some threads we talk about what happens on track, but the last few years, it is the business side. To say week after week the ratings suck or the sport is in trouble is one thing, but add something please.

As for DeFerran, many see this as a half empty glass, becuase his 2 car team didn't materialize and Jay Penske isn't adding cars. The reality of it is, I for one couldn't see how DeFerran was going to go Indycar racing. If NHL couldn't get sponsorship for Graham Rahal, I like to know what hoofa pipe people would have been smoking to think Gil was going to field 2 cars in a series he hadn't owned a team in. A series that by the way cant keep good teams with sponsors on the track, and cannot get money to really strong teams traditionally to keep American born talent.

So I can see the pessimists being correct, but any time anyone has Gil involved, it is BETTER than not having him involved.

oh look...how sweet

another case of classic projection

Chris R
22nd February 2010, 15:42
Not to get in the middle of everyone's squabble - but I really think all of you guys have a great knowledge of and passion for AOWR and often racing in general.... I realize there are different points of view - but all of you: ken, mark, chuck, scott, gary (please read NOTHING into the order or who I have included or left out) etc. are really into this sport and have really good knowledge and valuable opinions.....

My point is, we are all on the same team (and it is really a pretty small team...) and I hope everyone keeps that in mind when these different points of view and personal differences come up so we can agree to disagree on various things and move on as united fans of the sport.... it is a pretty rough time to be fan of AOWR and we are all going to get negative and we are all going to have our pie-in-the-sky ideas...

ok, I'll climb down off my soapbox now.... sorry if I overstepped any bounds......

chuck34
22nd February 2010, 15:55
Not to get in the middle of everyone's squabble - but I really think all of you guys have a great knowledge of and passion for AOWR and often racing in general.... I realize there are different points of view - but all of you: ken, mark, chuck, scott, gary (please read NOTHING into the order or who I have included or left out) etc. are really into this sport and have really good knowledge and valuable opinions.....

My point is, we are all on the same team (and it is really a pretty small team...) and I hope everyone keeps that in mind when these different points of view and personal differences come up so we can agree to disagree on various things and move on as united fans of the sport.... it is a pretty rough time to be fan of AOWR and we are all going to get negative and we are all going to have our pie-in-the-sky ideas...

ok, I'll climb down off my soapbox now.... sorry if I overstepped any bounds......

Chris, I understand and appreciate what you are saying there. And I agree with it.

My only thing is that Ken seems to want to only point out negative things like rating (which we all know about), and then not discuss it. All I'm asking (and ever asked him) is that he acutally discuss things, not "post without comment" as he likes to do. That's all I'm trying to say in these posts.

I try not to get into personal attacks with anyone although I disagree with them from time to time. It's just sometimes people need to be called out on some things. Maybe I shouldn't do it. But all I'm looking for are constructive ideas to move the sport forward.

Ok this is waaaay off topic now, so let's try to get back to it. Sorry.

SarahFan
22nd February 2010, 16:10
why is reality always confused with negativity

*it sure is interesting who is actually hung up on the ratings.....

chuck34
22nd February 2010, 17:40

Yep the guy who posts them "witout comment" all the time on a discussion forum.

Meh, you believe what you want.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd February 2010, 18:10

Reality is the ratings suck. We didn't need you to bring it up every week. You got upset because when we told you we knew that and didn't need the reminder, you said you were the messenger. Got news for you, I can figure this out from the news, didn't need ole Ken to just keep bringing it up. That said, if you started a thread stating "the ratings suck, what do you think the IRL should do about it?" and then state why, then we are not having this conversation now are we?

So when Gil in this thread gets involved with Jay, some people then say, "well, he isn't adding a car"...no he isn't, but look at the positive of it and take it for what it is. WE all knew (if we were not looking through the looking glass)that Gil wasn't likely going to find sponsors, and if anyone noticed, he ran a whole year of ALMS with no sponsors. I couldn't see why or how Gil was then going to try to step up to an more expensive series with TWO cars. I was of course guessing right. So now we have Gil helping Jay Penske. Cool, and I hope they go to 2 cars when things pick up.