PDA

View Full Version : Will Raikkonen inspire other drivers to move into the WRC?

Langdale Forest
15th February 2010, 13:31
Well, he seems to be improving all the time, so could any other past F1 champions move into rallying when they have had enough of F1 like Kimi has? :)

F1boat
15th February 2010, 15:23
I think not. They would want to fight for a top 30 finish IMO...

tmx
15th February 2010, 19:29
I don't know about "improving all the time", too early to tell. I do agree he could probably gotten a point if he didn't crash multiple times in Sweden. I think its okay in this case because its tricky for everybody.

It will depends on each individual driver to do well in the switch, but if Kimi gets good results then maybe it creates more interest. If he get mostly bad results, he don't even have to leave the WRC, it will be the same-o and the interests would fade eventually.

His decision to return to F1 will be base on how many more times he crashes and his result for the next 6 rallies. So while I'm not a fan, I do want him to get good results and to stay in WRC. It is important to get good results straight away, that way the driver could feel positive and want to achieve it again. Too many bad results in the beginning could demotivate him. All the drivers could purposefully slow down to let Kimi win a rally, then there would be a big media coverage and more interests for the WRC.

It could be he does decently and get 5th place in driver standing, but has a good package offered by Red Bull and go back to F1 anyway.

pettersolberg29
15th February 2010, 19:40
It looks like Bobby Kubica may make the move one day, although unfortunately he is as dull as the Iceman. I really, really hope someone like Button or Hamilton doesn't otherwise the English press would start glorifying their 'magnificent 32nd place finish' for example. Every rally, the only mention of WRC in any British papers is along the lines of 'Cumbrian Matthew Wilson finished a solid 11th, only 12 minutes behind Sebastian Loeb'.

I have to say I find it very annoying how there are people talking rubbish about rally because they have no idea what's going on e.g saying Kimi will easily win. At least there are new fans? :s

driveace
15th February 2010, 20:40
I dont think so .If they break down in F1,someone picks them up on a motorbyke to take them back to the pits which is at most a mile away.If you stuff it OR break down on a WRC rally its a long walk to the start/end of the stage,and it can be a wet/ty walk too.
F1 boys know which side their bread is buttered!!!
Anyway some retired ex F1 drivers have given it a go ,Mika Hakinnen for example

tmx
15th February 2010, 21:12
I dont think so .If they break down in F1,someone picks them up on a motorbyke to take them back to the pits which is at most a mile away.If you stuff it OR break down on a WRC rally its a long walk to the start/end of the stage,and it can be a wet/ty walk too.
Anyway some retired ex F1 drivers have given it a go ,Mika Hakinnen for example Wasn't Kimi personal manager a bit surprised when he was first at a rally services, no paddock for sipping wine. Oh well, just to open an can of worms. If you are a driver getting paid, I don't think you get paid as much in WRC to really need to live in Switzerland. Though my guess is the number of drivers that are getting paid for both sports are limited.

Tomi
15th February 2010, 21:28
Wasn't Kimi personal manager a bit surprised when he was first at a rally services, no paddock for sipping wine. Oh well, just to open an can of worms. If you are a driver getting paid, I don't think you get paid as much in WRC to really need to live in Switzerland. Though my guess is the number of drivers that are getting paid for both sports are limited.

I think that paddock thing was more like a joke, his manager has been to WRC rallies a few times before, and Switzerland beats boaring Monaco any time.

J4MIE
16th February 2010, 01:10
If Kimi can stop going off the road then he can be world rally champion, I am sure of that :up:

Boudica
16th February 2010, 02:30
Yes, it is already creating lots of interest in the F1 paddock Kubica are now also trying rally after Kimi tried it, Seb Vettel is more interested (he wanted to come and follow Kimi in Sweden, but couldn't), Heikki was following Kimi's progress in the Arctic rally and Sweden very closely, and they even caught Alonso following Kimi's progress, during testing at Jerez. So yes the other are interested, for sure...

WRCfan
16th February 2010, 04:26
The interest is there. However I hope the others dont change over. Nice to keep the manbag swinging and clawfights confined to F1.

jonkka
16th February 2010, 05:42
However I hope the others dont change over.

I hope so too.

Boudica
16th February 2010, 06:03
The interest is there. However I hope the others dont change over. Nice to keep the manbag swinging and clawfights confined to F1.

What claw fights? For the most part all of them gets along quite well. :)

Koppomsbo
16th February 2010, 06:32
I say bring on all of them! And also bring all of these...

WRCfan
16th February 2010, 07:07
What claw fights? For the most part all of them gets along quite well. :)

Dont believe that for a second....but ok.

GigiGalliNo1
16th February 2010, 07:21
Hope not, if F1 drivers are that boring in an incar interview after a stage.... yawn!

Koppomsbo
16th February 2010, 08:24
I wouldnt say they all are, look at Vettel.. He is much more talkative

Daniel
16th February 2010, 09:08
I think that paddock thing was more like a joke, his manager has been to WRC rallies a few times before, and Switzerland beats boaring Monaco any time.

I hated Geneva when I was there. It was such a bloody unfriendly place when i went there after Finland in 2007.

Daniel
16th February 2010, 09:10
I say bring on all of them! And also bring all of these...
We have this in rallying. Oh and yes my finger did slip :)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/oops.JPG

Krigen
16th February 2010, 09:11
Anyway some retired ex F1 drivers have given it a go ,Mika Hakinnen for example

Ehhh.. Walk to the start/end of the stage?? You think the wrc drivers do that.. LOL

WRCfan
16th February 2010, 09:11
Haha, top notch slip of the finger there Daniel... ;)

Krigen
16th February 2010, 09:15
We have this in rallying. Oh and yes my finger did slip :)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/oops.JPG

What?? That was 1 flat ass!!!

Daniel
16th February 2010, 09:21
What?? That was 1 flat ass!!!
LOL somewhat true. She was the only one who wasn't covering up :p Plus when you're going around taking pictures of womens bottoms you can't be picky.

P.S I'm not a pervert! Honest!!!!

EavesFan09
16th February 2010, 10:40
Here is hoping for more slip of the fingers. But what I want to know is what is the blokes hand doing with that thing in his hand and does he intend to do anything with it? :D

My view of Kimmi's switch to the WRC is that akin to tmx. Like in many sports where teams exists time needs to be observed before any clear results will be seen. In order to develop properly he may needs to learn from Dani Sordo and Sebastan Loeb and not just rely on developing his natural rallying ability.

koko0703
16th February 2010, 15:37
As long as their contracts allows, I think many Formula One driver will try rallying but I think only a very few will make a switch. I even think Kimi hasn't really switched to the WRC completely. Let's see what happens next year when Red Bull F1 has one seat available.

tmx
16th February 2010, 15:45
LOL somewhat true. She was the only one who wasn't covering up :p Plus when you're going around taking pictures of womens bottoms you can't be picky.

P.S I'm not a pervert! Honest!!!! We just don't have as much celebrity in WRC like F1. (I for once am glad Lewis ended relationship with his gf, because she took up too much viewing time.)

Well there were used to be the Pirelli girls, why didn't they bring them back. We just need more camera man like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdiCCakZHp8
(warning: may not be suitable for minors)

Tomi
16th February 2010, 15:52
As long as their contracts allows

Vettel was supposed to do Arctic, but his contract did not allow him to.

J4MIE
16th February 2010, 23:09
Surely if he really wanted to do it, he would make sure his contract allows him to.....no? :s

Tomi
16th February 2010, 23:17
Surely if he really wanted to do it, he would make sure his contract allows him to.....no? :s

maybe he will, in next contract, he sure like it, he has been in rally school here.