PDA

View Full Version : Duels the Best in Years?

slorydn1
12th February 2010, 00:47
I think so, and I'm not even upset that Harvick lost by .006 seconds to the ONLY car that could have held off everyone else with 35 lap old tires. He came from p13 with 4 laps to go :up:

To have BOTH duals end in almost the same manner, now THAT was cool, and neither race was a big wreck fest. All in all it was a pair of great races, the best PAIR of duels (or Twins for the old timers) in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, probably ever!

damg75
12th February 2010, 01:56
Probably the best since the 2001 twin 125's with what we call the "STP4F***" package that had the roof blade and the 70 degree spoiler.

slorydn1
12th February 2010, 02:02
Probably the best since the 2001 twin 125's with what we call the "STP4F***" package that had the roof blade and the 70 degree spoiler.

Oh yeah, in some ways better, not Quite as much passing this time as then, but a lot less wrecks, and no big one.

slorydn1
12th February 2010, 02:15
I guess I was remembering the 500...the twins were pretty sedate, race 1 had 3 cautions for 8 laps (Johnny Benson and Dale Jarrett wrecked out) which Sterling Marlin won, and BigE was P3. In the 2nd race, there was 1 caution for 4 laps, only Elliot Sadler wrecked out, and Skinner won in the 31 car, and June Bug was p2

slorydn1
12th February 2010, 02:17
the 500, that year, on the other hand....well, we all know what happened then.......

call_me_andrew
12th February 2010, 03:37
Indeed those were good races. The 150's are the only races that make sense to run at night because it's a Thursday, yet they start at 2:00.

71Fan
12th February 2010, 03:38
Not only do I remember pre-T35 Duels, I remember pre-plate Duels. To say that these were the best in years is a sad commentary on what these races used to be, and what they have become.

willracefan
12th February 2010, 15:55
the 500, that year, on the other hand....well, we all know what happened then.......

tell me about it. thanks to gordon.

willracefan
12th February 2010, 15:57
oh wait that was 2002, sorry.

Mark in Oshawa
12th February 2010, 16:21
I am never that excited by the duels. A lot of guys just stroke it if they are not up front with 5 to go. You saw Mark Martin pull out of the draft and cruise, he had nothing to gain by tearing up his car....guys approach these races a bit diffrently. So while they were great, I think the 500 will be special....

slorydn1
12th February 2010, 19:05
tell me about it. thanks to gordon.
oh wait that was 2002, sorry.

That deal in the 2002 500 where Gordon dumped Harvick for the lead causing a 27 car pile up was not Gordon's fault, and even Harvick says so, now. Recently Kevin took responsibilty for that one (he was blocking big time) but the major contributing factor was that stupid yellow line rule. Jeff went down, got to the line and went no further. When Harvick blocked down Jeff was faced with 3 choices:

1) Lift, and go straight the back, and possibly even lose the draft (remember, that race was the return of the aero clean package and a smaller plate- if you lifted, you were done)

2) Pass on the apron and go to the back, since Nascar had never penalized the blocker up to that point (see 2001 Pepsi 400 and 2001 Winston 500)

3) Dump Harvick and move on

He chose option 3, much to our dismay, but Harvick has taken up for him since then

71Fan
13th February 2010, 09:16
Great Mark? They Sucked!

Except for the go or go homers they were a practice session.

BobbyC
18th February 2010, 22:06
They raced for money, starting position, and pit position.

Mark in Oshawa
18th February 2010, 23:20
Great Mark? They Sucked!

Except for the go or go homers they were a practice session.

They didn't suck. Guys were trying to win them, I don't recall Happy Harvick working that hard to just practice. I think a few guys race them honestly because they know they are in the field and want to work on some stuff, but some try to win.

They were great entertainment if you didn't know that most of the field was in. I can amend how define that "Great" really. But to complain about them is just pointless. They are not points races, they are just for the ISC cash registers to ring in the year with a decent crowd. The drivers put on a show. It MEANS little, but it was a show. Both races were close and if they were the end of a 500 and that close, everyone would be saying how great the finish was......

slorydn1
19th February 2010, 06:51
They didn't suck. Guys were trying to win them, I don't recall Happy Harvick working that hard to just practice. I think a few guys race them honestly because they know they are in the field and want to work on some stuff, but some try to win.

They were great entertainment if you didn't know that most of the field was in. I can amend how define that "Great" really. But to complain about them is just pointless. They are not points races, they are just for the ISC cash registers to ring in the year with a decent crowd. The drivers put on a show. It MEANS little, but it was a show. Both races were close and if they were the end of a 500 and that close, everyone would be saying how great the finish was......

Well Said :up:

71Fan
19th February 2010, 09:07
They didn't suck.

Yea they did