PDA

View Full Version : Reunions? Is there a place for them?

Dave B
11th February 2010, 10:16
Have you ever been to a school reunion or to a place where you used to work? Was it as awkward and unpleasant as I imagine it to be?

I always think there's a reason we don't keep in touch with old schoolmates, and that reunions are somewhat pointless.

Mark
11th February 2010, 10:22
Personally, although I did have some very good friends at school, the ones I care about I'm still in touch with. The rest were a bunch of no hoper tossers and although I didn't realise it at the time, the day I said goodbye to them, my life became much better!

A friend of mine on facebook seems to try to organise a school reunion every 6 months or so, for some reason. I think he only got about 2 people at the last one.

Of course school reunions are difficult for my school as it closed as a school about 2 years after I left and half the buildings were demolished.

I'm also constantly getting letters from Newcastle Uni asking me to go back for a reunion there, but I've never been.

MrJan
11th February 2010, 10:32
Not exactly a reuninion but every year me and a bunch of friends from Uni meet up for a week. We all live fairly far apart so it's a good chance to get together and get pissed :D Don't really care about the people I've lost touch with though, judging by Facebook statuses most of them are t**ts anyway.

555-04Q2
11th February 2010, 10:47
Most of my fellow pupils were idiots then and are probably still idiots today, so I dont do reunions at all. I keep in touch with close mates from school, thats all.

CarlMetro
11th February 2010, 10:50
I was unfortunate enough to attend a school reunion last year. I didn't actually want to go but my wife intercepted an email whilst I was away on business and decided to arrange the tickets as a surprise. I was not best pleased, especially as I had to cancel a disco so that I could go.

So last September I found myself in a room in a hotel with about 150 people, some of whom I remembered but most of whom I didn't. The main aim of the evening for the girls seemed to be to show as many pictures as possible of thier various offspring to anyone who wouild look, whilst for the guys it seemed to be 'my car's better than you car' added to the 'my kid's better than your kid'.

I stayed for a couple of hours and left with lots of "yeah, let's stay in touch, it's been great to see you again, here's my number" and haven't heard from, or contacted, anyone since.

I wouldn't reccomend it and would say that it's probably worse than you imagine it to be Dave.

Daniel
11th February 2010, 10:55
I was unfortunate enough to attend a school reunion last year. I didn't actually want to go but my wife intercepted an email whilst I was away on business and decided to arrange the tickets as a surprise. I was not best pleased, especially as I had to cancel a disco so that I could go.

So last September I found myself in a room in a hotel with about 150 people, some of whom I remembered but most of whom I didn't. The main aim of the evening for the girls seemed to be to show as many pictures as possible of thier various offspring to anyone who wouild look, whilst for the guys it seemed to be 'my car's better than you car' added to the 'my kid's better than your kid'.

I stayed for a couple of hours and left with lots of "yeah, let's stay in touch, it's been great to see you again, here's my number" and haven't heard from, or contacted, anyone since.

I wouldn't reccomend it and would say that it's probably worse than you imagine it to be Dave.

:rotflmao:

I've got a good excuse, sorry! I live on the other side of the world now :)

gadjo_dilo
11th February 2010, 13:36
I went to the celebrations of 5, 10 and 20 years since graduating high school but some of my colleagues organize informal meetings each year and insist we should meet. Which is quite odd cos we weren't very close during school and could never focus together on any activity. Half of my class is living abroad and we use to joke about organizing the next meeting in Canada.
Sometimes an old colleague calls up to say " X has just come back from USA, and he wants to meet us, he hasn't seen us for 20 years ". And I look back and realise that I don't have memories in common with X and think " what's the point? Why should I pretend I'm happy to see him again? ",

The 5 years reunion was a restaurant meeting. All the girls were graduates of universities and were settled down and wore silk dresses, All the boys were still students and behaved as childish as in the school days. I had a feeling that I can't belong to this group.

The 10 years was organized in school and quite OK.

The 20 years was bigger, with all the school not only with my class, with a lot of teachers attending the ceremony. I had to say a small speech and I took the oportunity to accuse the physics teacher of half of my grey hair and to call him "killer of my youth " ( it didn't stop him to come to me later: so are you really working at ....? can you help me with....? ). Despite hating such reunions I felt quite comfortable as my colleagues seemed to be down to earth. none of them has become very rich or a VIP ( another strange thing because we graduated the best school of that time ).

I've heared that at the latest reunion one of the girls proundly showed a tabloid with her pics as " almost 50 y.o but still a sex-bomb ". The teacher who was in charge with our class almost had a heart attack :laugh:
Did a bit of research and found the article:
http://www.cancan.ro/viata/utile/bomba-sexy-la-50-de-ani-18371.html

Brown, Jon Brow
11th February 2010, 13:44
Not old enough to be reunited really.

I hope one day to go to a reunion and hopefully prove to be far more successful and have a far prettier wife than all the dicks who laughed at me in year 10 English when my voice broke during a presentation.

Rudy Tamasz
11th February 2010, 14:15
I stay in regular touch with those that I made good friends with. That's what matters. That said, I attend schoold reunions every five years. The last one (20 years since graduation) was a week ago and it was tons of fun. Half of our class attended (about 15) and these were the one who are doing well and behave maturely. One was a sad exception. Very successfull financially and extremely stupid emotionally. Came back to our town to find his third wife and I don't envy the girl. Otherwise everybody was very nice. I do not expect to see any of them except two or three earlier than in five years, but that party was worth attending.

Captain VXR
11th February 2010, 19:45
I hope one day to go to a reunion and hopefully prove to be far more successful and have a far prettier wife than all the dicks who laughed at me in year 10 English when my voice broke during a presentation.

Talk about unfortunate.
I'm not old enough for a reunion anyway either

leopard
15th February 2010, 08:29
the reunion makes a sense only if you don't meet/communicate each other for some period, the social networking account might be deactivated for good while...

BeansBeansBeans
15th February 2010, 08:49
A friend of mine on facebook seems to try to organise a school reunion every 6 months or so, for some reason.

Ditto.

There is nothing more pitiful than someone in their late 20s with nothing to live for except nostalgia for their schooldays.

leopard
15th February 2010, 09:06
Personally, although I did have some very good friends at school, the ones I care about I'm still in touch with. The rest were a bunch of no hoper tossers and although I didn't realise it at the time, the day I said goodbye to them, my life became much better!

A friend of mine on facebook seems to try to organise a school reunion every 6 months or so, for some reason. I think he only got about 2 people at the last one.

They might need regular social gathering every six months or so whose members contribute to and take turns at winning an aggregate sum of money. But rest assured such gathering is tasteless without sugar... :)

I can but suggest if you find it no longer entertaining, otherwise without it your life became much better, and such social networking potentially ruin your life.

emporer_k
15th February 2010, 19:01
Its been nearly 7 years since I left school now and the most contact I have with anybody from back then is via facebook and as I see it if people are worth reuniting with then I wouldn't have lost contact with them inbetween times.

Mark
16th February 2010, 08:49
I have a lot of friend requests from people I used to go to school with, most of them I can't even remember, so I don't add them!

16th February 2010, 12:14
School reunions?

They make school shootings a positive social necessity.

Although we really need to get some A+ students to do the shooting, as these emo goths that usually do it never have enough ammo to do it properly.

BDunnell
16th February 2010, 12:29
School reunions?

They make school shootings a positive social necessity.

:laugh:

I am in touch with the people I want to be in touch with. That is enough.

16th February 2010, 12:38
I am in touch with the people I want to be in touch with.

I have never missed my school friends.

But, then, I am an exceptionally good shot.

Garry Walker
16th February 2010, 13:03

Yeah, that is always so. You always get a ridiculous amount of numbers from people you havent seen in 10 years.

But other than that, I dont hate reunions, but I can do without them. Especially as I still communicate with many people from school anyway, so why would I need a reunion? To see the teachers with whom I had a hate-hate relationship?

Ditto.

There is nothing more pitiful than someone in their late 20s with nothing to live for except nostalgia for their schooldays.

Well, some nostalgia is not bad, especially if you had a great time at school as I did for example. Remember, schooldays are probably the best years of your life.
All the worries pale in comparison to what happens when you enter serious life and have to manage on your own.

Living for reunions and trying to arrange school reunions all the time would of course be sad, but I dont think I have ever met anyone like that.

BeansBeansBeans
16th February 2010, 13:04
Remember, schooldays are probably the best years of your life.

Not in my experience.

Mark
16th February 2010, 13:05
Remember, schooldays are probably the best years of your life.

Perhaps for many. I have to say I enjoyed college and university far more.

Garry Walker
16th February 2010, 13:14
Not in my experience.
You have missed out on a lot then. That said, many people I know talk of similar things, that they dont really look back to school years and say, hey that was really fun. But I was very lucky to be in the same class with some really good and fun people.

Perhaps for many. I have to say I enjoyed college and university far more.

Opposite for me. Come university I had so many committments and work and things on my mind that enjoying it as much as I did school was just impossible.

J4MIE
16th February 2010, 23:20
I wouldn't go to one, have no interest at all in meetng people I went to school with, didn't enjoy it and am very much happier now. Those that I was good friends with I speak to from time to time, though I am pretty useless at keeping in touch with anybody at all these days :( Mainly due to lack of time.