PDA

View Full Version : Rally Australia Impact Report

mjh
11th February 2010, 09:18
From Rallysportmag
link to report (http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4462&Itemid=2)

Show your support for Repco Rally Australia in NSW
Written by Latest News
Thursday, 11 February 2010
As part of the NSW Government’s financial support for Repco Rally Australia, there is an independent report being done as to the benefits of the event to NSW and the Northern Rivers region in which it was held.

Rally enthusiasts who visited the event can send submissions regarding the benefits they saw/experienced to Mike Cahill, [email:1sbaiy03]mabc@imcanz.com.au[/email:1sbaiy03]

Mention can be made of:
• Financial benefits to businesses within (service stations, motels, cafes, hotels, etc.)
• Awareness of the region’s natural beauty, local residents and your plans to revisit/holiday there in the future
• Your support for the event to continue to be held in the region in future (including plans to visit when it’s on again in 2011)
• The fact that the event showcases NSW and Australia to many millions of prospective tourists across the world.

Note: Due to the local ‘No Rally’ protest group and other people not in favour of Repco Rally Australia, it is important that we rally enthusiasm and present a positive side to the continuation of this event.

The closing date for written submissions is 5pm on Friday, February 19.

Datto1600
16th February 2010, 07:39
I attened the OZ round last year and I'm sorry to say it was one of the worst I've ever been to. It really should go back to Perth.

Daniel
16th February 2010, 09:05
I attened the OZ round last year and I'm sorry to say it was one of the worst I've ever been to. It really should go back to Perth.
I really hope it does. Much better event.

16th February 2010, 09:37
It won't be going back to Perth because the WA government doesn't want it. The spectators points at Rally Australia were poor other than CTEK, hopefully they can improve vastly next year or even move it to Canberra? Have to wait and see even if its on the calender in 2011

Daniel
16th February 2010, 09:40
It won't be going back to Perth because the WA government doesn't want it. The spectators points at Rally Australia were poor other than CTEK, hopefully they can improve vastly next year or even move it to Canberra? Have to wait and see even if its on the calender in 2011
Well I'm no longer living in WA let alone Australia so I don't know what the political landscape is like but I bet if the Libs got back in they'd bring it back.

AndyRAC
16th February 2010, 10:07
It's sad that such a great event is at the whim of politicians, and while I am extremely uneasy of 'Regional Assemblies/Governments' running/sponsoring Rallies, e;g WALES RallyGB.

Daniel
16th February 2010, 10:11
It's sad that such a great event is at the whim of politicians, and while I am extremely uneasy of 'Regional Assemblies/Governments' running/sponsoring Rallies, e;g WALES RallyGB.
Well motorsport in Australia can't really survive without the govt except for perhaps V8 stupidcars.

16th February 2010, 10:27
Well I'm no longer living in WA let alone Australia so I don't know what the political landscape is like but I bet if the Libs got back in they'd bring it back.

The Liberals are in power in the WA, but I don't really know what the political lanscape is like over there. The good thing about Perth is that it was a unique event with the roads and bunnings jumps, which made it more of a spectacle i think. But motorsport shouldn't be at the whim of politicians anyway

Daniel
16th February 2010, 10:34
The Liberals are in power in the WA, but I don't really know what the political lanscape is like over there. The good thing about Perth is that it was a unique event with the roads and bunnings jumps, which made it more of a spectacle i think. But motorsport shouldn't be at the whim of politicians anyway
I really should keep up with the news back in Perth.....

OT but this made me laugh.

On 4 August 2008, Troy Buswell resigned as Opposition Leader and two days later Barnett was re-elected unopposed to the Liberal leadership despite the fact that he had previously announced his retirement and another candidate had been endorsed in his electorate. On 7 August 2008, Premier Alan Carpenter called an early election for 6 September 2008. Barnett led the Liberal Party to the election, which saw a significant swing away from the incumbent Labor Party, leading to a hung parliament. On 14 September 2008, the National Party agreed to support the Liberal Party as a minority government,[10] and Barnett was sworn into office on 23 September 2008.

mjh
17th February 2010, 02:06
I never went to Rally Australia in Perth, but having been to Rally GB in the mid 90s and Rally NZ twice more recently I was disappointed with the viewing experience of many of the spectator points at RRA too.
However I have still made favourable comments to the impact survey because;
1) I would rather there was a Rally Australia (even if there is room for big improvements!) than no Rally Australia.
2) If we don't try and counteract the negative voice of the protesting minority we might lose the rally altogether.
3) If the protestors 'win' this 'battle', who is to say where they aim for next....state level rallies, the ARC, hillclimbs, offroading.....bmx bikers?..... I love the countryside and wildlife as much as anybody, but that shouldn't mean any human recreation in it should be barred.

Anyway, looking forward to Rally NZ in May, and hopefully Rally Australia back in 2011, wherever it is.

mjh
17th February 2010, 02:11

CTEK was great for viewing but woeful as a spectator point! They completely underestimated the traffic management issues and it was chaotic getting out of the place on the Saturday, which meant that we didn't make it out with sufficient time to get to the next speccy point we had planned....

Even CTEK suffered from too many people in too small a space, as did many of the other spots.

17th February 2010, 04:20
CTEK was great for viewing but woeful as a spectator point! They completely underestimated the traffic management issues and it was chaotic getting out of the place on the Saturday, which meant that we didn't make it out with sufficient time to get to the next speccy point we had planned....

Even CTEK suffered from too many people in too small a space, as did many of the other spots.
You are exactly right, CTEK was great for viewing, we were lucky on the Saturday as we left as soon as the first 10 cars had gone through.. So I forgot about everyone else getting stuck lol

They could have open up all of the other side of the stage but didn't which was a shame. REPCO was a terrible spectator point in term of viewing, we were on the far side and couldn't see anything of the cars.

WRCfan
17th February 2010, 04:20
Did anyone catch a glimpse of the humping frogs the hippies were so desperate to protect?

17th February 2010, 04:33
Did anyone catch a glimpse of the humping frogs the hippies were so desperate to protect?
I saw some cows and that was about it lol

WRCfan
17th February 2010, 05:51
The frogs probably stayed at home to get funky anyway, not venturing anywhere near rally cars....

18th February 2010, 02:31
Australia mightn't even be in the 2011 WRC season, have to wait until March..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81544