PDA

View Full Version : 3rd driver Fridays?

RS
10th February 2010, 18:10
Paul di Resta's deal with Force India got me wondering why the FIA don't adjust the rules so that the Friday of a Grand Prix weekend could be a test day for third drivers?

Right now, we have teams signing test/reserve drivers who in reality probably won't get to drive an F1 car for the whole year (resulting in situations like that of Bador last year)

What if the teams could be allowed to take a third chassis to races and run unlimited mileage for the day? Can it really be that expensive, given that the cars will be at the circuits already?

Sonic
10th February 2010, 19:10
Yeah, perhaps Force India know something we don't.

Paul says he'll be running on Fridays, but under current rules surely that would mean one of the official drivers would have to sit out Fridays under current rules?

christophulus
10th February 2010, 20:10
They had the idea of testing on Mondays for precisely this reason. Obviously that faded away to nothing like most of the proposals..

It's a good idea to let the test drivers drive on Fridays but it'll cut into set up time. Bringing a third chassis wouldn't be cheap seems how they ditched that idea years ago. It could work though, if they were allowed to switch in a testing engine and gearbox without penalty.

52Paddy
14th February 2010, 02:10
Right now, we have teams signing test/reserve drivers who in reality probably won't get to drive an F1 car for the whole year (resulting in situations like that of Bador last year)

I mentioned this in another thread. A very smart move by Force India if you ask me :up:

A third chassis would be a perfect way around that testing ban but it does require more cash - something some teams are struggling with anyway.

Saint Devote
14th February 2010, 02:53
I mentioned this in another thread. A very smart move by Force India if you ask me :up:

A third chassis would be a perfect way around that testing ban but it does require more cash - something some teams are struggling with anyway.

Do not be suprised at the progress or sound strategic decisions of Force India. You have to remember that the source is Vijay Mallyah. A man on a par with people such as Ecclestone, Briatore, Branson, Mosely and Dennis.

Vijay is another who has demonstrated his worthiness of being an F1 boss :D

52Paddy
14th February 2010, 02:59
I like Vijay. He fits the bill.

turismo6
14th February 2010, 09:34
They had the idea of testing on Mondays for precisely this reason. Obviously that faded away to nothing like most of the proposals..

I'll rather 3 cars on a longer Friday test then Monday, The race should be the last f1 event of the round.

Thursday test? 3rd driver only?

RS
14th February 2010, 09:53
This idea would also give better value to the fans who spectate on Fridays or people with a whole weekend pass.