PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Coverage

Chandler
26th February 2007, 13:56
Ok, I've seen NASCAR Now for a few weeks now, I had to give it that long before dropping the hammer.

Rusty is great, of course. But the rest of the team, I mean come on! Cowlishaw is from Around the Horn, and not a NASCAR guy. What did he do, plead with the people in charge to get off Around the Horn? And Eric Kaselius? Did he just read NASCAR for dummies before the show started? He's a radio guy, who I HEARD ON THE AIR claim to know nothing about NASCAR!!!!

Of all those guys who were left jobless from NBC, THIS is the best they can come up with?

Sparky1329
26th February 2007, 17:51
How about Brent Musberger? My husband wanted to know what the heck he was doing there.

I think Rusty is doing a pretty good job. I only heard him say "hot rod" twice on Saturday night. :D

harvick#1
26th February 2007, 18:00
hey ESPN/2, runs the Practice, Qualifying, and the race.

theres no arguement here :D

better than not having greedy Speed covering all that.

I hope ESPN will pick up the Trucks soon

Sparky1329
26th February 2007, 18:16
hey ESPN/2, runs the Practice, Qualifying, and the race.

theres no arguement here :D

better than not having greedy Speed covering all that.

I hope ESPN will pick up the Trucks soon

Now that would be cool. CTS on ESPN! :D :up:

jslone
26th February 2007, 19:15
Then you mean to tell me you all want MW to call the Cup races?

harvick#1
26th February 2007, 19:20
oh god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just what we need, another Waltrip in the booth.

I'm still saying we need Dickie V :p :

dont_be_jack
26th February 2007, 19:21
Rusty is terrible on TV. He cannot explain what is going on either in the booth or on the daily NASCAR show. He's terrible.

jeffconn
26th February 2007, 19:26
ESPN2's coverage was okay. There were a few missed shots and stepped on lines were common; and the basketball guy HAS TO GO! There were just too many announcers/analysts there and everyone wanted their moment in the spotlight. ESPN will get back into the swing of things soon. They're just out of practice.

cyd
26th February 2007, 20:08
Rusty is terrible on TV. He cannot explain what is going on either in the booth or on the daily NASCAR show. He's terrible.

About 10 years ago, Rusty had a show on Saturday afternoons called "Win" and that was really horrible. He's not a natural commentator. :eek:

dont_be_jack
26th February 2007, 20:12
About 10 years ago, Rusty had a show on Saturday afternoons called "Win" and that was really horrible. He's not a natural commentator. :eek:

Not at all. He hasn't been out of the car long enough to develop the skill. He still talks like a driver and sounds like a driver. DW isn't much better, but at least he understands that you need to talk just a bit differently with an audience that may not have much understanding of the sport.

Sparky1329
26th February 2007, 20:31
Then you mean to tell me you all want MW to call the Cup races?

Oh gawd no. We're only two races into the season and I'm Waltripped out.

dont_be_jack
26th February 2007, 20:42
Mikey would make more money that way at the moment.

harvick#1
27th February 2007, 05:54
one thing I would like ESPN to add woulds be the Side-by-Side coverage like they do with the IRL.

jslone
27th February 2007, 07:05
Mikey would make more money that way at the moment.

And he would still break even,damn.

Hoss Ghoul
27th February 2007, 07:17
I don't have a problem with Musberger...he's an MC, same as Chris Myers(who was a total dip when he started in 2001). They just facilitate the flow, they don't need to add alot.

I'm willing to give Rusty the benefit of the doubt and let him get comfortable in the booth. He did improve during his IRL races last year.

Cowlishaw is a newspaper guy from Dallas who has always talked/written about NASCAR(even on Around the Horn).

I don't like Eric Kaselius though, and I thought the guy who was filling in for him(normally does college stuff) was a much better host. I'd prefer John Kernan of course, that's a no-brainer.

cyd
27th February 2007, 16:22
How about Kenny Wallace? He gets an "A" for enthusiasm, for sure.

muggle not
27th February 2007, 16:35
oh god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just what we need, another Waltrip in the booth.

I'm still saying we need Dickie V :p :
Right on. Down with DW and bring on Dickie V.

I also have no problem with Musberger. He is a professional and will do a good job. Rusty is knowledgeable, give him a chnace to develop a style.

harvick#1
27th February 2007, 17:15
Woody Paige would be another guy I would like to see in the booth :D

hes the best guy on Around the Horn

muggle not
27th February 2007, 18:12
How about Bob Costas.

BobbyC
27th February 2007, 18:43
TNT (which was NBC's partner in NASCAR, and also partners with TNT on many other sports packages in the past) will go alone for 2007, although the joint package will allow Bill Weber and Marty Snider to do NBC news assignments such as the North American International Auto Show.

The only major production staff loss at TNT is Sam Flood, who has not renewed with TNT. Fox's Barry Landis will cross over at the end of their 13 races. Weber and Dallenbach stay at TNT.

After the Telecel-Motorola 200 presented by Banamex, ESPN2 will not air practice or qualifying for the next three Busch races because of Dick's Sporting Goods Championship Week and March Madness -- the NCAA Women's Basketball tournament. In fact, the Las Vegas Busch race will not air in many markets because many ESPN affiliates will not air ESPN programming but instead air regional college basketball under syndicated packages.

Cyd,

Rusty's show was a show from Honeywell Automotive (NYSE : HNY).

DISCLAIMER: BobbyC is a shareholder in Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE : DKS), and Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE : LNC). Lincoln National Corporation owns Lincoln Financial Sports, which produces syndicated SEC and ACC basketball packages.

DEI8151
28th February 2007, 06:20
TNT (which was NBC's partner in NASCAR, and also partners with TNT on many other sports packages in the past) will go alone for 2007, although the joint package will allow Bill Weber and Marty Snider to do NBC news assignments such as the North American International Auto Show.

The only major production staff loss at TNT is Sam Flood, who has not renewed with TNT. Fox's Barry Landis will cross over at the end of their 13 races. Weber and Dallenbach stay at TNT.

After the Telecel-Motorola 200 presented by Banamex, ESPN2 will not air practice or qualifying for the next three Busch races because of Dick's Sporting Goods Championship Week and March Madness -- the NCAA Women's Basketball tournament. In fact, the Las Vegas Busch race will not air in many markets because many ESPN affiliates will not air ESPN programming but instead air regional college basketball under syndicated packages.

Cyd,

Rusty's show was a show from Honeywell Automotive (NYSE : HNY).

DISCLAIMER: BobbyC is a shareholder in Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE : DKS), and Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE : LNC). Lincoln National Corporation owns Lincoln Financial Sports, which produces syndicated SEC and ACC basketball packages.

speed picks up the busch qualifying for those 3 weeks starting in vegas

dont_be_jack
28th February 2007, 15:07
speed picks up the busch qualifying for those 3 weeks starting in vegas

Good to know. Odds are I won't be able to see the Busch race because of the other commitments of ESPN.

cgs
28th February 2007, 16:18
great start for their return to NASCAR coverage then!

ACTF_ZETT
28th February 2007, 20:14
First off, Rusty Wallace is horrible when it comes to commentation. I had a little respect for him last year, espically when on the last lap of the Indy 500 he says "This could be the most exciting Daytona, I mean Indy 500 ever!" IRLs fault for putting him in that position, I hope he is not back this year. He may be better off in the NASCAR seat though.

Dr. Jerry punch and Jack Arute are both great in my opinion.

As for the comment on side by side for the commercials, I watch the NASCARs run around enough under caution full screen, I dont need it half screen too. Id much rather watch that Snickers Ricky Rudd commercial where they uncover the car, then him, then the snickers bar. I dont know why, but its hilarious.

harvick#1
28th February 2007, 21:51
did you watch California race on Fox.

they showed Kenseth, Gordon, and Stewart all single file for about 9 laps. right when Gordon and Stewart made a move on Kenseth, they went to commercial. now if you don't have fancy trackpass or the Direct TV package. your missing a battle for the lead.

of course when they comeback to broadcast, they show the replay of what happened.

they should go side-by-side when the race is under green and yes, they can go to full commercial coverage under caution. thats when I change the channel anyway :p :