PDA

View Full Version : When will there bo no more new music?

Langdale Forest
7th February 2010, 16:21
The amount of rubbish new music in the UK has made me wonder how long will the amount of possible things to write songs about go on for?

Any song about a 'video phone' is IMO not proper music at all.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th February 2010, 16:28
Blame Simon Cowell

Langdale Forest
7th February 2010, 16:31
I could say some bad things about him, but I won't say it here. :p

Wade91
7th February 2010, 19:15
"Video Phone" is a pretty good song, although i'm not a big fan of Beyonce, i like Lady Gaga though

Sonic
7th February 2010, 19:34
"Video Phone" is a pretty good song, although i'm not a big fan of Beyonce, i like Lady Gaga though

Depends what you mean by "song" I guess.

Langdale Forest
7th February 2010, 21:20
"Video Phone" is a pretty good song, although i'm not a big fan of Beyonce

I hate Beyoncyeeeee

dunes
7th February 2010, 21:44
Music in my opinion will never die. It will only reinvent itself.

Rollo
7th February 2010, 21:47
The amount of rubbish new music in the UK

Every single great new revolution in music came about because of the invention of some new instrument.

Jazz rode on the back of the trumpet and saxophone, Rock & Roll came about because of the invention of the solid bodied electric guitar, Techno and Electro occurred because of the invention of sequencing and sampling; heck even Baroque music happened largely because of the harpsichord and the development of the orchestra did wonders for the world of music.

Now with modern electronics, it's possible for any keyboard and computer to produce a facsimile sound of any other instrument. It's also possible to even re-tune the human voice after feeding in into computer processing.

I think that all of this invariably means that there are far more people in the music industry who aren't musicians, don't know anything about musical theory, and can't write it without help.

There is an abundance of rubbish music around, because the people producing it are rubbish at music.

has made me wonder how long will the amount of possible things to write songs about go on for?

Rubbish people, can continue to produce rubbish music about rubbish subjects forever, because most of the general public have rubbish taste.

Mark
8th February 2010, 09:39
Take the number of possible sounds at any particular moment and multiply it be the number of distinct 'sounds' in a track then you have the number of different results possible. It'll be a big ol' number!

Rudy Tamasz
8th February 2010, 09:57
Rubbish people, can continue to produce rubbish music about rubbish subjects forever, because most of the general public have rubbish taste.

I wonder how many people would confess that they belong to the proverbial general public...

MrJan
8th February 2010, 12:01
There is more new music now than ever before, all you need to do is listen beyond mainstream and commercial radio stations. Try using a site like last.fm or 8tracks.com or even jamendo.com (used by unsigned artists) to discover new music.

IMO it is now difficult to produce a new sound but there is still stuff out there that is a bit different. The rise of dubstep in the last year or so represents a genre that is sounds a bit new, it may not be to everyone's taste but it does show that music isn't as formulaic as Radio 1 would have you believe.

In short you can't blame the music industry, only yourself. If you want to hear new music then go out and find it.

Rudy Tamasz
8th February 2010, 12:13
There is more new music now than ever before, all you need to do is listen beyond mainstream and commercial radio stations. Try using a site like last.fm or 8tracks.com or even jamendo.com (used by unsigned artists) to discover new music.

IMO it is now difficult to produce a new sound but there is still stuff out there that is a bit different. The rise of dubstep in the last year or so represents a genre that is sounds a bit new, it may not be to everyone's taste but it does show that music isn't as formulaic as Radio 1 would have you believe.

In short you can't blame the music industry, only yourself. If you want to hear new music then go out and find it.

Then the question is, if there is so much good music out there, why do record companies and FM stations promote crap? They are the leaders and listeners follow them. I am sure many people would have much better tastes in music if they had more exposure to decent stuff.

MrJan
8th February 2010, 12:20
Then the question is, if there is so much good music out there, why do record companies and FM stations promote crap? They are the leaders and listeners follow them. I am sure many people would have much better tastes in music if they had more exposure to decent stuff.

Because crap sells to 14 year old girls who write the charts and, as a demographic, buy millions of records every year. There is money in crap.

Rudy Tamasz
8th February 2010, 13:18
Because crap sells to 14 year old girls who write the charts and, as a demographic, buy millions of records every year. There is money in crap.

I doubt that teens is the only or even the main segment of the market. When the Beatles, Pink Floyd and Queen were selling millions of records, who was buying their records?

wedge
8th February 2010, 14:23
The amount of rubbish new music in the UK has made me wonder how long will the amount of possible things to write songs about go on for?

This day and age it really shouldn't be a problem unless you're stuck at work or sharing a car etc.

Loadsa good stuff out there if you make the effort.

Dave B
8th February 2010, 14:42
The music industry is at a creative peak right now, and that's a good thing. Not so long ago you'd need a massive bank balance to even produce a demo track, and a willing record company to promote you and distribute your material. Massive corporations decided what was fashionable, and the only real ways of hearing new music were closed shops like Radio One and the large commercial stations. If you had a record to promote you needed to be very pally with the inner circle. Only a handful of mavericks like John Peel were interested in playing unsigned and unheard of musicians.

Now you can record a song to quite a high standard on your laptop and release it yourself onto YouTube or MySpace with a potential worldwide audience of billions. You can sell your own tracks for download without the need to spend huge money on physical pressings or distribution.

This of course means that a lot of untalented idiots make a hell of a lot of dross, but it does mean that no longer are money and contacts a barrier to success. As was ever the case, there are a few rough diamonds to be found if you wade through enough excrement.

Yes we've got tawdry reality shows cheapening the charts with their mawkish karaoke cover versions of other peoples' work performed by music industry puppets, but I see your Simon Cowell and raise you Stock Aitken Waterman. T'was ever thus.

The side effect of these so-called "talent" shows and their locked-in Sony BMG contracts is that it makes rival record companies search even harder for the next big thing, and it provides kids with more impetus to have a crack at creating something.

That "something" is almost always drivel, but if just a fraction of one percent is worth listening to then surely that is a good thing.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th February 2010, 15:12
I don't think I will ever become a creative musician. Whenver I pick up my guitar I just automatically play Tom Morello and Matt Bellamy riffs, whenever I sit at my piano I just play (well attempt to play) Beethoven.

Rollo
8th February 2010, 22:12
That "something" is almost always drivel, but if just a fraction of one percent is worth listening to then surely that is a good thing.

No. :D

One your relatives had this to say:
"Of course, it would be wrong to suggest this sort of mayhem began with rock-and-roll. After all, there were riots at the premiere of Mozart's The Magic Flute. So, what's the answer...ban all music? In this reporter's opinion, the answer, sadly, is yes"
- Kent Brockman.

Sleeper
10th February 2010, 01:29
The amount of music being released these days is imense, both self releasesd and through record labels (big and small), and makes wading through the sea of dross to find the gold dust very dificult, but patience, knowing what you like/looking for, and finding sites and/or people that share your tastes in music is a good way to get a guide through.

And I've got to dispell this myth that anyone with a laptop can produce music to a decent level. The difference between the quick ameture jobs and those pieces made by people with passion and have spent lots of time on it is night and day.

Rollo
11th February 2010, 23:05
"It was one of countless similar songs published for the benefit of the proles by a sub-section of the Music Department. The words of these songs were composed without any human intervention whatever on an instrument known as a versificator."
- George Orwell, Nineteen-Eighty-Four

I think that this could very easily be applied to Ke$ha (?), that blasted "Tik Tok" song has been haunting me for weeks now.

Langdale Forest
23rd February 2010, 19:02
Tik-Tok is one of the worst songs ever IMO. :mad:

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd February 2010, 19:11
Who needs new music when we have Chopin? :p

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137107

Lousada
15th March 2010, 22:16
Tik-Tok is one of the worst songs ever IMO. :mad:

Wait till you hear her new single:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sr_BWT1OsU

I like how she rhymes "car" with "blah".

harsha
16th March 2010, 04:35
as long as people listen to the sounds rather than the notes , I don't think the music scene (irrespective of the genre) will have any improvement

Langdale Forest
19th March 2010, 16:35
Wait till you hear her new single:

I like how she rhymes "car" with "blah".

I don't want to listen to it. ;)