PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else...

slinkster
26th February 2007, 11:44
... REFUSE point-blank ... to call Opal Fruits the silly name of Starburst??

They always were and always WILL be Opal Fruits no matter how many daft names they come up with.

:)

Brown, Jon Brow
26th February 2007, 11:51
unless you are an oldie like you Slinky :erm: we don't remember them as Opal fruits.

slinkster
26th February 2007, 11:58
yes, yes I am indeed almost 24 years old... that is true...

LotusElise
26th February 2007, 12:23
Can you even buy Opal Fruits or whatever they're called any more?
I haven't seen one for ages, not even at petrol stations, the last bastion of out-of-fashion confectionery.

Dave B
26th February 2007, 12:25
And don't get me started on Snickers... :p

slinkster
26th February 2007, 12:37
Can you even buy Opal Fruits or whatever they're called any more?
I haven't seen one for ages, not even at petrol stations, the last bastion of out-of-fashion confectionery.

ah ... Try the cinema!

Dave B
26th February 2007, 12:41
The Conservative Party, there's another one. Now they're called New Labour. :p

Robinho
26th February 2007, 12:47
jif to Cif (i believe because the Spanish pronunciation of "J" was a bit phlegmy), oil of Ulay to oil of Olay, Marathon to Snickers to name but a few, and for me they will always be Opal Fruits

DonnieDarco
26th February 2007, 13:02

You mean Marathon, obviously :D

Eki
26th February 2007, 13:08
oil of Ulay to oil of Olay
...to oily oaf.

BDunnell
26th February 2007, 13:15
As a 28-year-old, I still call them Opal Fruits. But when the generations grow up who know nothing other than Starburst, it will finally justify the change.

Incidentally, the change of Jif to Cif was put off for some time because of concerns that Cif sounds too much like an abbreviation of syphilis.

airshifter
26th February 2007, 13:30
I never called them anything other than Starburst, because that is what they were always called in the US market. Global marketing strikes again.

Iain
26th February 2007, 13:38
unless you are an oldie like you Slinky :erm: we don't remember them as Opal fruits.

Born in 1989 and can't remember Opal Fruits? I don't think so somehow. :p :

AndyRAC
26th February 2007, 14:32
Once a Marathon always a Marathon. Snickers......doh!!!

Donney
26th February 2007, 14:33
Didn't know what Opal fruits were but thanks to Google everything is solved. In Spain they were called Sugus and they changed its name too, but I don't remember the new one.

thompp
26th February 2007, 16:12

Dont you mean marathon...? :D

Captain VXR
26th February 2007, 16:21
http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/sweets/fruits/opal-fruits.jpg for anyone who doesn't know what Opal fruits looked like

Drew
26th February 2007, 16:47
http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/sweets/fruits/opal-fruits.jpg for anyone who doesn't know what Opal fruits looked like

Brilliant, I always used to buy them when I went bowling :cool:

Did they actually change the taste?

Iain
26th February 2007, 16:55
I don't think they did. They just rebadged it. Was it Opal Fruits that were "made to make your mouth water"?

Interesting subject this, but don't even get me started on the Coco Pops to Choco Crunches debacle.

DonnieDarco
26th February 2007, 17:35
Yeah, I can hear the Opal Fruits Jingle even now :D

That one turned out alright in the end Ian, Its gotta be a bowl of Coco Pops just sounded better :D

Brown, Jon Brow
26th February 2007, 18:04
Born in 1989 and can't remember Opal Fruits? I don't think so somehow. :p :

You know me....I can't remember how to spell my own name :dozey:

Ian McC
26th February 2007, 18:25
...to oily oaf.

:eek:

Would you spread that on your skin? :p :

schmenke
26th February 2007, 20:12
I never called them anything other than Starburst, because that is what they were always called in the US market. Global marketing strikes again.

Indeed.
North of the border as well they have always been known as Starburst.

Robinho
26th February 2007, 20:40
how come they weren't Vauxhall Fruits in the Uk and Opel Fruits in Europe?

allycat228
26th February 2007, 21:02
Could anyone tell me what happend to whispa bars, plus can anyone remember what the things that used to crackle and pop on your tounge were called?

Iain
26th February 2007, 21:46
I think Wispas are still around, but as Dairy Milk Bubbly. Nowhere near as thick and not the same. :down:

Eki
26th February 2007, 21:57
Could anyone tell me what happend to whispa bars, plus can anyone remember what the things that used to crackle and pop on your tounge were called?
I think they renamed it Whiskas:

http://www.whiskas.co.uk/whiskas/en-GB/default.htm

LeonBrooke
27th February 2007, 02:52
As a 28-year-old, I still call them Opal Fruits. But when the generations grow up who know nothing other than Starburst, it will finally justify the change.

Incidentally, the change of Jif to Cif was put off for some time because of concerns that Cif sounds too much like an abbreviation of syphilis.

They've been Starburst in New Zealand as long as I've taken notice of such things, that is, if we're thinking of the same thing.

To be honest I was thinking of syphilis when I read Cif.............. :erm:

oily oaf
27th February 2007, 07:27
(clears throat and picks up microphone)

O-pal Fruits
Made to make your mouth water
Fresh with the tang of citrus
Four refreshing fruit flavours
Orange, lemon, strawberry, lime.
O-pal Fruits
Made to make your mouth water
Twaaang!

(adopts seated, cross-legged position, places upturned cap at feet and waits) :mad:

Ian McC
27th February 2007, 07:57
how come they weren't Vauxhall Fruits in the Uk and Opel Fruits in Europe?

Ban him for that! That's terrible! :D :p :

Captain VXR
27th February 2007, 09:06
Don't forget Suzuki Fruits in Japan, Holden Fruits in Australia and Saturn Fruits in the good ol' USA and Canada :p

Iain
27th February 2007, 14:09
No, the moment's gone I think.

BDunnell
27th February 2007, 14:37
North of the border as well they have always been known as Starburst.

And available in deep-fried form, presumably.

schmenke
27th February 2007, 15:12
And available in deep-fried form, presumably.

:s

Iain
28th February 2007, 22:17
I'll tell you something else that's just annoyed me there. They've changed the Square crisps bags. They're now all red, with a yellow, blue or red brick patterned band going down them. And the labels are now on vertically, as opposed to horizontally like they have been since the beginning of time. :hmph:

I'm beginning to sound like Victor Meldrew here. :p :

J4MIE
28th February 2007, 23:44
I have a packet of Starburst weekly, but call them starburst as it's been aaaaaaaaaaaaages since they were opal fruits.

Other than names, I was thinking that I used to get a packet of fruit pastilles for 20p :eek: Them were the days :cool:

Christina
1st March 2007, 13:47
It confused me when they got called starburst, because i moved to australia during the change and didnt realise that the name had changed globally. Same with oil of ulay, which is now Olay everywhere, because oil and skincare are two words that dont go hand in hand.

Azumanga Davo
1st March 2007, 14:22
Load of crap, really. Just a name...

Mind you, I was bloody disappointed with the new Holden VE Kingswood...

Eki
1st March 2007, 15:01
I'll tell you something else that's just annoyed me there. They've changed the Square crisps bags. They're now all red, with a yellow, blue or red brick patterned band going down them. And the labels are now on vertically, as opposed to horizontally like they have been since the beginning of time. :hmph:

I'm beginning to sound like Victor Meldrew here. :p :
They still aren't proper food for ducks.

LotusElise
1st March 2007, 15:32
Who mentioned ducks?

Eki
1st March 2007, 16:34
Who mentioned ducks?
Iain once fed Pringles to some ducks.

LeonBrooke
1st March 2007, 20:54
Yes:

Who would feed crisps to ducks?

Captain VXR
2nd March 2007, 16:32
My formerly vegan tiger does that to fatten them up so he has more meat.

Iain
2nd March 2007, 17:24
Was that a lie?

I actually did feed Pringles to some ducks at a motorway service station at 11pm at night.

Eki, you have a much better memory than me, I completely forgot about that.

quattroman
2nd March 2007, 19:01
Yeah, I can hear the Opal Fruits Jingle even now :D

That one turned out alright in the end Ian, Its gotta be a bowl of Coco Pops just sounded better :D

Yeh, but it rotted your teeth quicker.

slinkster
2nd March 2007, 21:55
To whoever asked about Wispa's, Cadbury's stopped making them.

Shame, they were really nice!!!

allycat228
3rd March 2007, 00:34
There is a shop near by to me that sells all the old sweets like rainbow dust, cola cubes and little cola bottles that used to cost 1/2 a penny, i am getting hungry just thinking about them

Mp3 Astra
3rd March 2007, 00:40
I don't think they did. They just rebadged it. Was it Opal Fruits that were "made to make your mouth water"?

Interesting subject this, but don't even get me started on the Coco Pops to Choco Crunches debacle.

I'd rather have a bowl of Coco Pops, my good man. We also have Coco Pops Crunchies, and new COCO POPS MEGA MUNCHERS! Yeeeehaaaaa! Only the original is best, the rest stink.

As for Opal fruits... what are they? :p :

Ian McC
3rd March 2007, 10:33
They still aren't proper food for ducks.

You feed crisps to ducks Eki?

Eki
3rd March 2007, 11:52
You feed crisps to ducks Eki?
Iain does.

LotusElise
3rd March 2007, 12:57
Cadbury's Bubbly<Wispa.
Bring back Wispa now!

Iain
3rd March 2007, 16:10
Iain does.

:wave:

Remember the days when Curly Wurlys were about the same size as your school ruler? Now they're just a poor imitation.

AndySpeed
3rd March 2007, 16:22
Obviously was a good and long-lasting marketing stunt, as it's got you all talking and thinking quite a bit about them in this thread ;)

Ian McC
4th March 2007, 10:26
:wave:

Remember the days when Curly Wurlys were about the same size as your school ruler? Now they're just a poor imitation.

I hope you don't feed them to ducks!

Iain
4th March 2007, 13:31
As long as you break it into little pieces they don't seem to mind.

DonnieDarco
4th March 2007, 16:02
Cola Cubes! Haven't had those in years. Or those white bonbon things, which also came in yellow.

J4MIE
4th March 2007, 19:21
Wispas...had forgotten about them :cool:

You can still buy cola cubes if you look hard enough :D They really are amazing, maybe even my favourite sweet! :eek:

LeonBrooke
4th March 2007, 20:00
I like the multicoloured cone thingies :D

allycat228
4th March 2007, 21:08
Bon Bons used to hurt the top of my mouth because I used to suck them to hard!

LeonBrooke
4th March 2007, 23:34
Ooh that's asking for the response:

"too much information" :D

slinkster
5th March 2007, 10:24
what about flying saucers?? The actual covering is like rice paper and completely tasteless... but they just take you back to being a kid :D

Flumps? Parma Violets?

I hate the taste of pear drops... it's like nail varnish remover!

LotusElise
5th March 2007, 10:33
I loved flying saucers!

Fortunately, these little pieces of confectionery heritage are still widely available in supermarkets and more traditional newsagents and sweet shops.

Iain
5th March 2007, 12:19
Parma Violets?

Eww no. :s About the only bad thing Swizzels ever made. I could do with a packed of Refreshers right now. :D

Azumanga Davo
5th March 2007, 14:19
Jolly Rancher were the best ever...

Ian McC
5th March 2007, 19:47
Parma Violets?

What exactly was the point of those, not enjoyable, not of any benefit so why bother :s

LeonBrooke
6th March 2007, 00:43
I like crocodiles and those cone spinning-top things. They're nice :)