PDA

View Full Version : Whaling in Faroe Islands

Rudy Tamasz
3rd February 2010, 07:32
Just seen this, an annual session of whaling on Faroe Islands. Looks pretty horrifying. It is all the more disgusting given the fact that this is not being done for profit. It is some kind of sports or something.

http://seventeenyears-gone.blogspot.com/2009/11/calderon-dolphins.html

I am not a softie, but this meaningless murder looks really bad to me. It would be nice to get some more insight into this and comments from all the Nordic people here.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2010, 08:55
I am against whaling. There is very little purpose for it really. That said, we all eat cows, pigs, sheep, chickens and damn near anything else we can lay our hands on, so it is kind of hypocritcal to say Whales are on a higher level than the others....or are they? See, we really have no idea, but I notice we don't eat other primates, so I guess if we truly do believe in the inate intellegence of Whales and the like, then we should ban whaling.

The problem is, some aborginal groups using the traditional way of life need to do whaling. In the Arctic, a whale might save some coastal villages or did in the past.

It is a dirty and ugly thing to do, but I do think we have to draw the line at whales....

F1boat
3rd February 2010, 09:10
I find whaling to be repulsive and horrifying. There are very few of them left and for me their killers are monsters. I am ashamed that I am in the same species as them.

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 10:05
If small numbers of whales are being killed for food by a culture which has a tradition of doing it and it's sustainable then I don't see the problem. Japan on the other hand, I have a problem with that.

Tomi
3rd February 2010, 10:09
If small numbers of whales are being killed for food by a culture which has a tradition of doing it and it's sustainable then I don't see the problem. Japan on the other hand, I have a problem with that.

agree, its the commersial killing of whales that pisses off.

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 10:31
agree, its the commersial killing of whales that pisses off.
No no Tomi, they're researching :rolleyes: :laugh:

Tomi
3rd February 2010, 10:35
Yes they are, but for some reason the research results ends up in restaurants, lol

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 10:46
Yes they are, but for some reason the research results ends up in restaurants, lol
Yeah, you know the stupid thing? Apparently most of the meat never even gets eaten and is just sitting there piling up in freezers.

ShiftingGears
3rd February 2010, 10:48

Taste-testing is research.

Rudy Tamasz
3rd February 2010, 12:39
Guys, you don't get it. This is NOT commercial. This is some kind of a local feast. They celebrate something by killing whales. This is what I have problems with.

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 12:55
Seems they do eat them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_the_Faroe_Islands

Doesn't seem that the animals are endangered either.

anthonyvop
3rd February 2010, 13:11
I find whaling to be repulsive and horrifying. There are very few of them left and for me their killers are monsters. I am ashamed that I am in the same species as them.

Why?

Are you a Vegan?

F1boat
3rd February 2010, 13:13
No, but last time I checked the species of chicken for example is not endangered.

F1boat
3rd February 2010, 13:14
Guys, you don't get it. This is NOT commercial. This is some kind of a local feast. They celebrate something by killing whales. This is what I have problems with.

Yes, disgusting. They don't even kill for food. I think that only humans kill for pleasure.

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 13:16
Why?

Are you a Vegan?
LOL I find myself agreeing with Tony for once.

Tbh I find the site of dead anything laying on the ground in rows a little disturbing but then again my meat comes from a shelf in a plastic package so that's understandable. In the west animals are just as dead when we kill them in abatoir's where the process is nice and hidden and you don't get a small faeroese or however you spell it inlet red with the blood of cows or sheep or chickens or whatever.

As long as they eat the animals and as long as the animals aren't endangered I don't see the problem.

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 13:17
No, but last time I checked the species of chicken for example is not endangered.

Yes, disgusting. They don't even kill for food. I think that only humans kill for pleasure.

Both claims which seem to be false.

F1boat
3rd February 2010, 13:21
Well, Daniel:
1| Are the chickens endangered species?
2) which other species kill for pleasure? Please enlighten me.

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 13:22
Well, Daniel:
1| Are the chickens endangered species?
1) These whales aren't endangered
2) Foxes, ever heard of them?

F1boat
3rd February 2010, 13:27
1) These whales aren't endangered

Foxes? I know them and I know that they are cute little predators, but honestly I didn't know that they kill for pleasure and not for food. To quote Valve, LINK PLEASE?
About the whales, then I guess that I'm pretty hypocritical for I still don't approve killing for sport like these whales or bulls in corrida or for fur like the baby seals. But hey, everybody has an opinion.

Rudy Tamasz
3rd February 2010, 13:29

Yes, polecats, too. Hell, even my mom's cat in the countryside hunts birds for pleasure. But do you want to be in the same league with them, my friend?

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 13:30
Foxes? I know them and I know that they are cute little predators, but honestly I didn't know that they kill for pleasure and not for food. To quote Valve, LINK PLEASE?
About the whales, then I guess that I'm pretty hypocritical for I still don't approve killing for sport like these whales or bulls in corrida or for fur like the baby seals. But hey, everybody has an opinion.
It's not my fault that you don't know and I'm not here to educate you.

But anyhoo.... if a fox gets into a chicken coop it WILL kill every chicken, if that's not killing for pleasure I don't know what is.

I don't approve of killing bulls in an inhumane way either. If the bull wasn't stressed during this "sport", it died instantly and it was used for food then I wouldn't have a problem but that's not the way it is.

As for baby seals, if they're killed quickly and their fur is used I don't have a problem either.

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 13:36
Yes, polecats, too. Hell, even my mom's cat in the countryside hunts birds for pleasure. But do you want to be in the same league with them, my friend?
Stop being a clot. The whales aren't endangered and are killed for food.

6QyVil0dwhk

Rudy Tamasz
3rd February 2010, 13:43
Stop being a clot. The whales aren't endangered and are killed for food.

6QyVil0dwhk

I don't have a problem with animals being used for food. I do have a problem, though, with performing it in a ceremonial fashion and celebrating killing. If that makes me a clot, well, that's what I am.

anthonyvop
3rd February 2010, 18:03

Actual certain whales, dolphins and seals have been observed killing for what appears to be fun.

Killer whales have been frequently observed catching, killing then playing with the bodies of seals and penguins then just leaving them without eating them.

Dolphins have been observed tossing fish around in play.
Up in New England Common Dolphin have been killing their smaller cousins called Harbor Dolphins for no apparent reason.
Leopard seals frequently play keep-away with penguins that they have killed and just leaving the body as well.

Hondo
4th February 2010, 12:23
Male lions, after taking over a new pride, kill all the existing cubs, not to eat but to bring the females back into heat.

Domesticated dogs will often run down and kill small game without eating it. They will also try to breed your kneecap, the sofa, etc.

Daniel
4th February 2010, 12:30
Male lions, after taking over a new pride, kill all the existing cubs, not to eat but to bring the females back into heat.

Domesticated dogs will often run down and kill small game without eating it. They will also try to breed your kneecap, the sofa, etc.
Yeah my parents once had a dachshund that went next door and killed one or two of the neighbours chickens.

Nature is surprising and there are examples also of homosexuality in the animal kingdom too. You gotta LOL @ the people who say "We're better than animals"

Rudy Tamasz
4th February 2010, 13:38
You gotta LOL @ the people who say "We're better than animals"

We're different, I dare to say. :)

SportscarBruce
5th February 2010, 15:21

and Chimpanzees