PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite city?

Sonic
2nd February 2010, 23:07
Title says it all really.

Tomi
2nd February 2010, 23:37
In Europe, Berlin or Amsterdam
From all the towns i have been, Bangkok

Mark in Oshawa
2nd February 2010, 23:39
I have lived a sheltered existance....Having only been to the USA, Mexico and my native land....I cant say I have had a good sampling. I narrow it down to 3: Calgary, Honolulu and Boston. Honourable mention to Vancouver

N. Jones
3rd February 2010, 03:01
Montreal. What a beautiful city, even if I cannot speak the language!

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2010, 05:28
Montreal. What a beautiful city, even if I cannot speak the language!

Montrealers pretty much speak English when they realize you try and cannot speak French. Great town...but I never get downtown any more and spend a lot of time in traffic, so I suppose that is why it didn't make my list. Ottawa down the road is interesting too as is Quebec City in the other direction.

Jag_Warrior
3rd February 2010, 05:54
Of the places I've been, Montreal was pretty sweet. But as soon as I get me a sugar mama, we gonna hit Monte Carlo... and I think that'll be the one.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2010, 05:59
Of the places I've been, Montreal was pretty sweet. But as soon as I get me a sugar mama, we gonna hit Monte Carlo... and I think that'll be the one.
She better have a lot of money Jag...cause a Jag is an economy car in that burg....my inlaws stayed there, and 2 days there cost as much as 2 weeks in the rest of Europe...

Jag_Warrior
3rd February 2010, 06:05
She better have a lot of money Jag...cause a Jag is an economy car in that burg....my inlaws stayed there, and 2 days there cost as much as 2 weeks in the rest of Europe...

My plan is to catch Ivana Trump after she's had a few drinks. I think she's between husbands now. Gotta strike while the iron is hot. :bounce:

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2010, 06:15
My plan is to catch Ivana Trump after she's had a few drinks. I think she's between husbands now. Gotta strike while the iron is hot. :bounce:

You land her, you send us a message from Monte Carlo...something to the effect of "so long suckers!!"

Jag_Warrior
3rd February 2010, 06:33
You land her, you send us a message from Monte Carlo...something to the effect of "so long suckers!!"

Oh, we're only going to be married for about a year. After that, I'll be single again... but being "supported in the lifestyle to which I have (recently) become accustomed". :)

Sonic
3rd February 2010, 08:26
I have two faves from my travels. I enjoyed Stockholm when I visited but only stayed a couple of days so I'd love to go back and see if it lives up to my first impressions.

But top of the list is Vegas baby! Love that place. :D

F1boat
3rd February 2010, 09:25
Istanbul - magnificent city.

Camelopard
3rd February 2010, 09:26
Too hard to answer, I like many cities for different reasons and certainly plan on visiting a hell of a lot more of them before I cark it.

(tis a pity my 'girlfriend' from the Ivory Coast didn't come through with her promised millions, otherwise I be off racing around the world now instead of being stuck on nightshift at work!)

Speaking of cities and the like where is EDV's geography thread?

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 10:04
Helsinki and Amsterdam are both nice :)

pino
3rd February 2010, 11:50
Sanremo and Jyvaskyla are my fave cities :D

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd February 2010, 11:50
If I could choose one city to live and work in it would be London. :)

Tomi
3rd February 2010, 11:56
Sanremo and Jyvaskyla are my fave cities :D

Paisa, you should buy summer house at Ouninpohja :)

pino
3rd February 2010, 12:02
Paisa, you should buy summer house at Ouninpohja :)

I am trying to convince my wife...how about some help ? :p :

Tomi
3rd February 2010, 12:08

Sure I will help you out, next summer when you come, take her with you, and we start a mega convincing attack.
Btw, tell Nadine, that i have not forgot that i promised to tell her about the tale of Sampo. :)

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 13:44
There's a nice yellow house there I seem to remember :)

Rudy Tamasz
3rd February 2010, 13:52
Vienna is the absolute winner with me. A very welcoming city. I was high just on sitting in a street cafe and watching people passing by.

edv
3rd February 2010, 15:11
I have a real soft spot for Brussels. (beer-belly soft spot, if you know what I mean)

driveace
3rd February 2010, 19:28
1 Prague
2 Wien= Vienna
3 Melbourne

schmenke
3rd February 2010, 19:32
I loved both Sydney and Hong Kong, and San Francisco gets an honourable mention.

Tomi
3rd February 2010, 19:38
There's a nice yellow house there I seem to remember :)

Lol Daniel, thats a good one, everyone who know rally, knows the address, the yellow house :D

janvanvurpa
3rd February 2010, 19:41

So they're wanting to waste money, eh?
Well they did.
I stayed 2.4 miles from the Casio for Monte Carlo WRC in 1993 for 140FF or about $18.00-19.00 bucks with a nice HUGE cup of great coffee and toast in the morning---just the thing before setting out for Col d' Turini.

Just gotta know where to look and what you're reading.

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 19:50
Lol Daniel, thats a good one, everyone who know rally, knows the address, the yellow house :D
Yep :)

I just remembered that this photo I posted on the forum the other day was taken in Jyvaskyla.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/DSC_0217.jpg

Tomi
3rd February 2010, 19:53

I just remembered that this photo I posted on the forum the other day was taken in Jyvaskyla.

OMG, what a bunch of ugly guys, maybe Pino should think twice after all.

anthonyvop
3rd February 2010, 19:56
Miami: To live and work
Santo Domingo: The REAL SIN CITY
George Town, Cayman Islands: Decompression city
Rio: I know it is cliche but that city rocks.
Pontevedra, Galicia: Beautiful and has a Beach and town named after my Family

Place i want to go: Macau, Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lampur and Mumbai

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2010, 22:20
So they're wanting to waste money, eh?
Well they did.
I stayed 2.4 miles from the Casio for Monte Carlo WRC in 1993 for 140FF or about $18.00-19.00 bucks with a nice HUGE cup of great coffee and toast in the morning---just the thing before setting out for Col d' Turini.

Just gotta know where to look and what you're reading.

This was back in the late 70's, and they had always wanted to go there, and they went in May. Well we all know what happens in May. It was a dream trip for my father-in-law and he found out as he had booked the trip that the GP was happening...so they stayed in a hotel that overlooked the sea, but on the otherside they could see the race course. So my mother-in-law keeps telling me how she stayed at a hotel and had to listen to the noisy race cars. She has never figured out that is only a once a year thing...she probably thinks this was something they did for the tourists!!!

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 22:22
You wouldn't want to meet them down a dark alley at night I can tell you, you'd wake up in a ditch the next morning.....

schmenke
4th February 2010, 00:48

näyttää olevan kusipää pari :p :

:uhoh:

pino
4th February 2010, 07:09

These two ugly guys are not from Jyvaskyla...fortunately :p :

UltimateDanGTR
4th February 2010, 16:21
monte carlo.

having never been outside europe, (i plan to though) I cant compare it to places which are supposed to be great but i havnt been to (NY, Montreal, Sydney, Rio de janeiro etc)

but, MC is superb.

Daniel
4th February 2010, 16:30
monte carlo.

having never been outside europe, (i plan to though) I cant compare it to places which are supposed to be great but i havnt been to (NY, Montreal, Sydney, Rio de janeiro etc)

but, MC is superb.
I know this is going to sound silly because I've never been to MC but why would you rate such a shallow place so highly? Sure if you're there for the GP or rally I can understand but I can think of nothing worse than being around self obsessed obscenely rich people. I'd much rather be in Jyvaskyla myself tbh.....

Tomi
4th February 2010, 17:36
I know this is going to sound silly because I've never been to MC but why would you rate such a shallow place so highly? Sure if you're there for the GP or rally I can understand but I can think of nothing worse than being around self obsessed obscenely rich people. I'd much rather be in Jyvaskyla myself tbh.....

There is a nice harbour if you like yachts, and thats it, worth to visit for 1 day, if there is not those happenings you mentioned, but again different people like different things.

Mark in Oshawa
4th February 2010, 18:28
Heck..I forgot one of my favouritee party towns...Las Vegas. It is tacky, noisy, brash, ....and a lot of fun...lol

UltimateDanGTR
4th February 2010, 20:15

yeah there is an air of shallowness and the essence of showmanship about the place. but MC is glamorous and very different from many other places.

every city is different, for eample:
LV-tacky, over the top, but from what i hear and see, a whole lot of fun
London-multicultural, vibrant, tough, diverse
Rio de janeiro-hot, fun, exciting

you get the point. im sure there are better cities than MC in the world. I have yet to visit such places though. very different places too.

without the gp track to look round i probably wouldnt see MC in the same light, but when i visited i loved the ambience of motorsport, the glamour, the sights and sounds. it was very different to anywhere else id ever been to.

I love london as well by the way.

A.F.F.
4th February 2010, 20:32
Edinburgh

Paris

Both of them cities I could live in.

J4MIE
4th February 2010, 23:19
Paris
London
Helsinki
Bologna

Hopefully many more to discover yet :)

CarlMetro
5th February 2010, 01:09
For me it definately has to be San Francisco but with honorable mentions to both Paris and Berlin but just for visiting where as San Fran I could (and possibly will in the near future) live and work in.