PDA

View Full Version : women drivers, im lovin it!..

4mula1
2nd February 2010, 19:17
ive read where it was said campos may have a female driver! (#2 car) G R E A T!.. i hate to say it, but its probably to good to be true. :s mokin:

maximilian
2nd February 2010, 19:21
ive read where it was said campos may have a female driver! (#2 car) G R E A T!.. i hate to say it, but its probably to good to be true. :s mokin:
It would be great indeed if she would be on the pace, but the candidate being discussed is questionable at best... so it may well be too bad to be true! :)

DazzlaF1
2nd February 2010, 19:32
It would be great indeed if she would be on the pace, but the candidate being discussed is questionable at best... so it may well be too bad to be true! :)

Are there any women drivers at the moment that could be considered good enough for a race drive?

Cos I certainly cant think of one (no offence)

maximilian
2nd February 2010, 19:42
Are there any women drivers at the moment that could be considered good enough for a race drive?

Cos I certainly cant think of one (no offence)
I can't think of any on the European ladder, either. There are a couple of them on the Indycar ladder, trying to make the upgrade to the IRL (besides the 3 women already driving in Indycars), but I am not aware that any of them have shown the needed road racing prowess to have a legitimate shot at beating Jose Maria Lopez... ;)

OK, who here thinks that Danica could beat Lopez? :D

DazzlaF1
2nd February 2010, 19:55
I can't think of any on the European ladder, either. There are a couple of them on the Indycar ladder, trying to make the upgrade to the IRL (besides the 3 women already driving in Indycars), but I am not aware that any of them have shown the needed road racing prowess to have a legitimate shot at beating Jose Maria Lopez... ;)

OK, who here thinks that Danica could beat Lopez? :D

The only one on the European ladder that i know of was Natacha Gachnang who competed in Formula 2 last season, she only managed to finish =23rd out of 27. (I know Katherine Legge as well but she drives in the DTM so, doesnt count)

There are 6 i know of on the indycar/american ladder

Danica Patrick
Sarah Fisher
Milka Duno
Ana Beatriz
Simona de Silvestro
Pippa Mann

Pulidor
2nd February 2010, 20:45
Yeah. Last week I read something about Campos being interested in signing up María de Villota. ANyway, in my opinion the right choice would be Carmen Jordá, for..... obvious reasons! :D

Giuseppe F1
2nd February 2010, 20:53
Campos has a thing for female drivers.....heres a female F3 driver day/event he ran recently :)

http://www.as.com/recorte/20071222dasdaimot_1/XLCO/Ies/20071222dasdaimot_1.jpg

Giuseppe F1
2nd February 2010, 21:07
I think I have a thing for female drivers!! :D

I think we have something in common, henners! :)

Pulidor
2nd February 2010, 21:08
Good pic GiuseppeF1, as usual! :)
The guy in the back with Campos is Bernie's and Flavio's best friend Alejandro Agag, the guy who apparently got him the F1 slot. AFAIK he is the owner of Formula 1 rights in Spain as well, and he is married to former president Aznar's daughter. Small-time business guy as you see...
Mid row left is María de Villota, back row left is Carmen Jordá, the most well known Spanish female drivers.

52Paddy
2nd February 2010, 22:19
Is Susie Stoddard still about?

Anyway, I thought Bruno was given seat 2, so wouldn't that mean it's a #1 driver they're looking for :eek:

maximilian
2nd February 2010, 22:48
The only one on the European ladder that i know of was Natacha Gachnang who competed in Formula 2 last season, she only managed to finish =23rd out of 27. (I know Katherine Legge as well but she drives in the DTM so, doesnt count)

Right, like I said, I can't think of any good enough ones on the European ladder... :)

Gachnang was also rumored sometime back, but please... they've GOT to be kidding.

Saint Devote
3rd February 2010, 04:16
There is a real cutsie pie who raced in the Fomrula Atlantic series and she led the championship - crashed in the last round and finished third - not a proper reflection. She ought to have won.

She is Simona de Silvestro from Switzerland.

As for the above picture - the blonde [right front] gets my vote :-]

AndyL
3rd February 2010, 10:57
Is Susie Stoddard still about?

She's also been in DTM for a few years, driving for Mercedes... but she wasn't at the Merc F1 launch so whether she's still employed by them for this year I don't know.

MrJan
3rd February 2010, 11:56
Campos has a thing for female drivers.....heres a female F3 driver day/event he ran recently :)

Yay, Nay, Yay, Yay, Nay, YAY.

Yours,

Jan Yeo
(doing his bit for equality since 1985)

Female driver could be good for F1, as long as she doesn't come last every race or do a Badoer. Whichever team takes the plunge to hire the first female needs to be smart and make sure that whoever it is can at least keep up, otherwise it will put women in the sport back 10 years.

Daniel
3rd February 2010, 17:00
Yay, Nay, Yay, Yay, Nay, YAY.

Yours,

Jan Yeo
(doing his bit for equality since 1985)

Female driver could be good for F1, as long as she doesn't come last every race or do a Badoer. Whichever team takes the plunge to hire the first female needs to be smart and make sure that whoever it is can at least keep up, otherwise it will put women in the sport back 10 years.
I think I agree with your diagnosis :up:

vintage
3rd February 2010, 19:10
Isn't Simona the one on the right of the cockpit?

3rd February 2010, 19:15
The one on the back left of the car should get it.

Sorry, what was the question?

maximilian
3rd February 2010, 19:23
Alessandra Neri, Maria de Villota, Carmen Jorda, Natacha Gachnang, Simona de Silvestro and Lucie Panackova.

Shifter
3rd February 2010, 19:39
Alessandra Neri, Maria de Villota, Carmen Jorda, Natacha Gachnang, Simona de Silvestro and Lucie Panackova.

Right, so I was ready to crack a joke about the 'least pretty' one being the fastest, then it turns out to be de Silvestro...the fastest one lol. Seriously though, talent talks, pretty tends to qualify on the last row of the grid. Ask Milka Duno about that.

maximilian
3rd February 2010, 19:45
Right, so I was ready to crack a joke about the 'least pretty' one being the fastest, then it turns out to be de Silvestro...the fastest one lol. Seriously though, talent talks, pretty tends to qualify on the last row of the grid. Ask Milka Duno about that.
Not to mention Lella Lombardi, the only woman to ever score in F1... seems to fit that theory... ;)

Oh how I wish Danica and Milka could trade talents! Milka would be an even bigger star, as she actually has personality! :heart:

gloomyDAY
3rd February 2010, 22:40
http://static.blogo.it/motorsportblog/alessandra_neri_1.JPG

The one on the back left of the car should get it.

Sorry, what was the question? :D She could definitely take some pipe.

MrJan
3rd February 2010, 23:15
:D She could definitely take some pipe.

I'd be willing to wager that she's already had her fair share....and probably some other peoples shares too :D

Ghostwalker
4th February 2010, 00:51
She's also been in DTM for a few years, driving for Mercedes... but she wasn't at the Merc F1 launch so whether she's still employed by them for this year I don't know.

According to this article (http://www.auto-sport.ru/news/654/64792/) she is still att Mercs DTM team:
http://tinyurl.com/ykedxl4english translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.auto-sport.ru%2Fnews%2F654%2F64792%2F&sl=ru&tl=en)

Saint Devote
4th February 2010, 02:56

Duno?! Ugh!!!

She looks like a sex change!!!

woody2goody
4th February 2010, 04:07
Well Natacha Gachnang is Sebastien Buemi's cousin I believe, so that would be interesting. She's a good driver by all accounts but I reckon she needs a year or two in F2 or GP2. Then, I seriously reckon she could drive in F1. She's just too unproven at the minute.

Danica is probably the best of the bunch, but she probably wouldn't beat Lopez - just my opinion.

Easy Drifter
4th February 2010, 05:36
Maybe but Milka could probably push 4 buttons on the steering wheel at the same time.

Dave B
4th February 2010, 08:34
Do women talk this way about the male F1 drivers? It's like reading the script to an old Beevis and Butthead episode.

Daniel
4th February 2010, 08:48
Do women talk this way about the male F1 drivers? It's like reading the script to an old Beevis and Butthead episode.
So true. You should see the WRC section, the moment there's a woman driver or co-driver people get rather excited even if she's as good looking as the least attractive girl in that photo

Mark
4th February 2010, 09:12

It's attitudes such as the ones displayed in this thread which mean women F1 drivers will never be taken seriously :mark:

If they want to run a woman driver, fair enough, but she should be there based on her ability to pilot an F1 car, which traditionally means proving yourself in the various feeder series first.

Now if we were to see a woman driver getting podiums in GP2 then maybe she could get an F1 seat, but it would be utterly crazy for an F1 team to take a driver purely based on their gender.

Having said that, teams have been selecting drivers purely based on their nationality for years...

MrJan
4th February 2010, 09:15

Heh heh. So cool.

Women certainly make comments about blokes in sport though. I know a lot of women who judge their favourite footballer on looks (even when they know about football) and there are plenty of girls/ladies on this forum who don't solely judge drivers on talent.

Easy Drifter
4th February 2010, 09:22
Remember I was crew chief for a woman racing driver for 10 years and then married her.
And yes they do!

MrJan
4th February 2010, 09:24
It's attitudes such as the ones displayed in this thread which mean women F1 drivers will never be taken seriously :mark:

If they want to run a woman driver, fair enough, but she should be there based on her ability to pilot an F1 car, which traditionally means proving yourself in the various feeder series first.

Now if we were to see a woman driver getting podiums in GP2 then maybe she could get an F1 seat, but it would be utterly crazy for an F1 team to take a driver purely based on their gender.

Having said that, teams have been selecting drivers purely based on their nationality for years...

And sponsors.

Women will be taken seriously in the sport when they are any good. Most of the people who also follow rallying realise that there are fast females out there but at the minute there is no way that a woman deserves a place in F1 ahead of a number of other drivers. A woman will be taken seriously in F1...when one turns up who can mix it with the other drivers. At the minute there are a number of female racing drivers, the majority of whom end up mid pack. TBH the only one I know of who has shown any genuine promise is Sarah Moore who races in the Ginetta Juniors.

I also don't see the issue about the comments, I've heard countless women talk about a blokes appearance so why does it become an issue when the boot is on the other foot?

Shifter
4th February 2010, 21:30
Was there similar hoopla about Michčle Mouton? Or was she simply accepted as a talented WRC pilot?

MrJan
4th February 2010, 21:57
Was there similar hoopla about Michčle Mouton? Or was she simply accepted as a talented WRC pilot?

I think that Mouton was talented enough for people to see beyond her gender. That's why the first woman in F1 needs to be chosen carefully, if she isn't quick enough then the whole palava will continue :)

Josti
4th February 2010, 22:01

I think people were rather more stunned about how revolutionary the Audi Quattro was (which owned a lot of sceptism beforehand). At the time, Mouton was already known for her good streak on WRC events in Monte Carlo and Corsica in private Lancia's and Fiat's, along with other decent results.

Still, she was groundbreaking nonetheless. Though a shame there hasn't been such a talent in female driving ever since.

Easy Drifter
4th February 2010, 22:37
There have been women drivers in World Championship GP races before.
Long before Michelle Mouton there were top female Rally drivers, Pat Moss being one.
Her brother was sort of known too. Sir Stirling Moss.

Josti
5th February 2010, 14:01
There have been women drivers in World Championship GP races before.
Long before Michelle Mouton there were top female Rally drivers, Pat Moss being one.
Her brother was sort of known too. Sir Stirling Moss.

Yes I'm aware of Pat Moss, though that was still pretty much in the pioneer years of rallying. Not to bring down her achievements of course, she's probably the first succesful women driver in motorsport overall.

ShiftingGears
6th February 2010, 07:58
I don't care for them in F1, unless they are actually talented drivers.

Jag_Warrior
9th February 2010, 17:40
I don't care for them in F1, unless they are actually talented drivers.

/Danica on/

imagine how much the ratings would go up if i went to formula one! and i bet i could sell bunches of t-shirts in yourope!

/Danica off/

Easy Drifter
9th February 2010, 19:22
Josti: Elizabeth Junek and Kay Petre pre war among others.
Kay is in the Cdn. Motorsport Hall of Fame. Factory Driver for Austin.

gloomyDAY
10th February 2010, 07:13
So true. You should see the WRC section, the moment there's a woman driver or co-driver people get rather excited even if she's as good looking as the least attractive girl in that photoSpeaking of which, I haven't harassed you for pics of Caroline in quite a while. :p

jens
10th February 2010, 12:28
I haven't said anything in this thread yet, but let's put it this way: a woman ought to race in F1 only if she is competitive enough to deserve a drive. At the moment I do not see anyone such. As for watching, you can do that in many other situations instead of spectating F1 (and they have grid girls anyway). :p :

Caroline
18th February 2010, 11:28
I haven't said anything in this thread yet, but let's put it this way: a woman ought to race in F1 only if she is competitive enough to deserve a drive. At the moment I do not see anyone such.

Really, as a woman myself, I wouldn't want to be judged on something other than my ability to do my job well. F1 isn't ready to have a female driver. Grid girls are from another age, can you imagine a male equivalent?

Daniel
18th February 2010, 11:49
Really, as a woman myself, I wouldn't want to be judged on something other than my ability to do my job well. F1 isn't ready to have a female driver. Grid girls are from another age, can you imagine a male equivalent?
Yes, yes I can.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qNqCtwzkNfs/SdE3VVWcBaI/AAAAAAAAAL0/YdwSG8b3DmE/s400/borat_costume.jpg

Also, why have you given me yoghurt for lunch but no spoon? :confused:

Caroline
18th February 2010, 11:53
You want to eat yoghurt after looking at that?!

Dave B
18th February 2010, 11:59
http://www.fionaleggate.co.uk/yourpics/lolly%20boy.jpg

:eek:

Daniel
18th February 2010, 12:06
http://www.fionaleggate.co.uk/yourpics/lolly%20boy.jpg

:eek:
I think mine was better even if only because there was some boob showing.