PDA

View Full Version : (OT) NASCAR on TV

Tony Hurdle
1st February 2010, 17:29
Just got a reply to an email I sent SKY yesterday. It seems there will not be any live coverage this year. There maybe highlights but even these are a long way off from being confirmed. Bummer. Anyone know if the races can be seen elsewhere live?

Glen 320
1st February 2010, 17:33
they were streamed live on justin tv last year,quality wasn't to bad just not quite the same watching on your pc instead of your tv.

LessThanSte
3rd February 2010, 00:21
Streaming will more than likely be an option, though most hold out hope that something will be sorted. Rumour has it ESPN are interested, ive also seen Eurosport's name bounced about but i think thats unlikely beyond a highlights show.

Shame really, but Sky seem to think theres only 20000 people that watch it each week which doesnt justify the expense (though i imagine IRL gets even less than that, but they have another year on their contract!). Thats the problem with representative sampling of TV audiences though, it could just so happen that amoungst the 5000 people or whatever that are part of the TV audience sample, very few of them have any interest in watching NASCAR. Some quick maths suggests that, assuming 5000 sampled and a max audience of 5000000, 1 person watching the NASCAR equates to a viewing figure of 1000, therefore theres 20 viewers. I, however, suspect there are many more than 20000 but then there is no way to prove that.

Anyway thats off topic. Theres threads at digital spy and things relating to the coverage, il post anything i spot!

mbr
4th February 2010, 09:13
Just took a look at next weeks TV planner on Sky and on Tuesday at various times says Nascar Sprint Cup!!!! Programmes are shown to be an hour long and listed on HD.

Tony Hurdle
9th February 2010, 15:39
Just looked at the TV planner for Sunday and it shows the Daytona 500 live on Sky Sports 3 from 6pm. Don't know if it's a one off but it'll do for now.

Nick Brad
9th February 2010, 15:48
I won't be able to watch it via a stream this year as the missus wants to go out for valentines day. I guess I owe it to her as I got to go racing last weekend at Kings Lynn, (waste of time, but I shalln't go into it here).

WayneH
24th February 2010, 23:37
Looks like live NASCAR Sprint Cup is back on in the UK!!!!!

My satellite EPG shows NASCAR Sprint Cup on channel 190 (Open Access 3) from 7pm (Sunday) - 1am (Monday)!!!!

Looks like pre-race, GSYE, and the full race from LVMS.

Looking at the text using the info button - it's the remainder of the season.

Great news!!!!

Redmond500
26th February 2010, 09:48
This is good!!

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/81692

Tony Hurdle
26th February 2010, 15:30
Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darknessrock
16th September 2010, 23:05
and the open access Tv is all thanks to a mr richard garvie,,, how the hell did he manage to blag that one!??

english4ever
10th November 2010, 17:10
cause he's full of **** and can talk anyone into anything!!

english4ever
10th November 2010, 17:11
they blanked out s h i t if your wondering what the word was

racing59
14th November 2010, 16:28
It looks like last week's at Texas was the last one.

If Mr Garvie has anything to do with this, it's not surprising as it looks like Open Access TV has gone t1ts up. Companies House is reporting accounts overdue.
and a few of their associated companies have also got the same flagged up. One website has been suspended.

And if you have a Sky+ box, and had it set to record, you'll notice that it's missing from your planner now.

Curses.

Justin.TV for tonight's race from Phoenix then....

english4ever
14th November 2010, 23:14
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=45663541&postcount=2067

thanks to rob for finding this proves garvie is full of ****

PitMarshal
15th November 2010, 12:50
It would also seem to confirm the speculation I voiced in another forum that Nascar and ESPN have had a hand in the coverage this year. Anyone fancy putting money on a dedicated ESPN UK channel popping up next year?

racing59
15th November 2010, 23:06
Pitsy, I hope so.

Garvie is still claiming to be behind the Open Access coverage, and brokering deals, yet Open Access have no dealings with him. Now he's collecting money to fund the coverage next season via Paypal!!!

It looks like Open Access is still in rude health, though like a lot of these fringe channels, they seem to fly close to the wind!

racing59
23rd November 2010, 21:17
Time to man up and admit I've been wrong here!

Richard Garvie WAS behind keeping the Sky Open Access coverage of NASCAR, and he was the one who got the coverage back for Homestead, even if the picture was a poor job resulting in "legovision".

So, Richard, consider this an apology.

rightnwrong
25th November 2010, 11:27
Just got a reply to an email I sent SKY yesterday. It seems there will not be any live coverage this year. There maybe highlights but even these are a long way off from being confirmed. Bummer. Anyone know if the races can be seen elsewhere live?

I don't think if there is, I don't have yet news about it. Sorry. :rolleyes: