PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we have this??

MrJan
30th January 2010, 10:25
My brother introduced me to this, seems to be a hillclimb type thing in Spain but is just crazy compared to anything we have in the UK.

oyUEbQCKzNA

hcK74NSdk8I

7HdtH_SNW6g

For a lot of the hatchbacks it seems like showboating using the handbrake is more important than the time, proper job

Donney
30th January 2010, 15:34
That's because you are not crazy Spanish people :D , you might find good clips of "Subida al Fito" the atmosphere around that is something to be lived...

306 Cosworth
30th January 2010, 17:01
3 words

Health and Safety

Steve Boyd
30th January 2010, 17:35
Most European hillclimb championships are based on 5km or 10km closed public road events, including Spain. The reason we don't have these in the UK is nothing to do with health & safety - we don't have the legislation to close public roads for any race, rally or time trial (sprints, hillclimbs or drag racing) with a very few notable exceptions (e.g. Jim Clark Memorial Rally & Tour of Mull Rally). As a result our hillclimb championship is based on much shorter climbs (less than 1km) on private roads. Prescott, Loton Park, Barbon Manor, Doune are a few venues that spring to mind. There are longer climbs on the Isle of Man (http://www.visitisleofman.com/motorsport/bike/mc2010.xml), but there was a significant problem when they tried to run a 10km climb - most of the British cars couldn't carry enough fuel to go that far! Despite the short courses there are still some interesting cars to be seen ranging from single seaters with old F1 engines down to road going hatchbacks. Thirty years ago there was even a Morris Minor complete with number plates and tax disc containing a turbocharged, nitrous injected Rover V8 knocking out around 500hp! Sprinting & hillclimbing is in the UK but the roads are much shorter & narrower and a much more precise driving style is needed. That didn't do this guy http://www.andypriaulx.com/ any harm - he started in hillclimbs - look where he is now!

Mark in Oshawa
31st January 2010, 08:05
Heck..we have NO hill climbs here...just the odd Rally with a special stage in a park that would have a special like a hill climb. That said, I was waiting for a car to scramble people like bowling pins.... they do have a different standard for approrpriate places to stand in Spain...

MrJan
31st January 2010, 19:02
Sprinting & hillclimbing is in the UK but the roads are much shorter & narrower and a much more precise driving style is needed. That didn't do this guy http://www.andypriaulx.com/ any harm - he started in hillclimbs - look where he is now!

I vaguely remember my old man talking to Andy Priaulx at Wiscombe when I was a nipper. I'm fairly familiar with speed championships as have been going to Wiscombe and Werrington since I was knee high, also I've entered a few sprints in the ASWMC championship over the last few years and hopefully will do even more this year. For the minute though I'm staying away from the hills as they are just too narrow for my skill level :D

Such a shame that we don't have something like those videos, largely because the atmosphere looks great.

AndyRAC
31st January 2010, 22:41
I vaguely remember my old man talking to Andy Priaulx at Wiscombe when I was a nipper. I'm fairly familiar with speed championships as have been going to Wiscombe and Werrington since I was knee high, also I've entered a few sprints in the ASWMC championship over the last few years and hopefully will do even more this year. For the minute though I'm staying away from the hills as they are just too narrow for my skill level :D

Such a shame that we don't have something like those videos, largely because the atmosphere looks great.

All because we can't have closed roads for Motorsport - how pathetic! Our governing body (MSA) should be lobbying, but that's obviously like too much hard work.

MrJan
1st February 2010, 08:15
All because we can't have closed roads for Motorsport - how pathetic! Our governing body (MSA) should be lobbying, but that's obviously like too much hard work.

Nah, the MSA are busy putting in more safety procedures which cost people money and then try to get more people competing with the GoMotorsport campaign. Stuff like wearing gloves for sprints which was optional last year and necessary this year, but they don't have to be fireproof at the minute. However it's quite likely that they'll change that soon and everyone will have to splash out again.

Steve Boyd
1st February 2010, 13:54
I'm afraid you're flogging a dead horse there. The MSA simply can't afford it. I can't remember the exact figure for the Jim Clark road closure but it ran into millions & the legislation was piggy-backed onto a raft of bye-laws for the County of Berwickshire, so they got it cheaper than it could have been. To get national legislation really requires it to be government policy, private member's bills don't have the success rate, but there's a general election coming this year so now you know the first question to ask any candidate that comes looking for your vote.

MrJan
1st February 2010, 14:44
Can you imagine the outrage of the voting public if someone was pro-motorsport? He'd get more votes by mooning at the electorate and getting caught in a compromising position with a Corgi.

veeten
1st February 2010, 17:20
and then there's the one that everybody likes, from locals to World Rally Champs, and they always come back for more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak_International_Hillclimb :D

Brown, Jon Brow
1st February 2010, 17:45
I've never understood why if you were building a fast car you would start with a Suzuki Escudo? :erm:

Mark in Oshawa
1st February 2010, 20:26
I've never understood why if you were building a fast car you would start with a Suzuki Escudo? :erm:

It does make one think. Suzuki isn't renowned for building high performance cars, yet they put and Escudo in hill climbs and the Pike's Peak Hill climb. Bet it hasn't sold on car extra in America...but Suzuki did it anyhow...

Brown, Jon Brow
1st February 2010, 21:55
It does make one think. Suzuki isn't renowned for building high performance cars, yet they put and Escudo in hill climbs and the Pike's Peak Hill climb. Bet it hasn't sold on car extra in America...but Suzuki did it anyhow...

Were Suzuki involved or was it an independent venture?

Mark in Oshawa
1st February 2010, 23:16
Were Suzuki involved or was it an independent venture?

Not sure...but idea of taking a baby SUV with a 4 cyl, then pumping it full of turbo power to the tune of 1000 hp, big ole wings and AWD sure sounds like fun!