PDA

View Full Version : Motorsport Trivia

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

52Paddy
29th January 2010, 12:00
It's been a while since we've had a quiz thread so I decided to begin a new one :) It's not limited to any form of motorsport in particular. Anything goes. I'll begin.

The car dealing business, Compton & Fuller, changed its name to what in December 1951 after Frederick Compton entered new partnership with an aspiring young motorbike salesman (who would subsequently reach major heights in the motorsport industry)?

ArrowsFA1
29th January 2010, 12:18
Bernie was a car dealer around the early 50's wasn't he :confused: No idea if he was into bikes though :crazy:

DazzlaF1
29th January 2010, 17:34
It's been a while since we've had a quiz thread so I decided to begin a new one :) It's not limited to any form of motorsport in particular. Anything goes. I'll begin.

The car dealing business, Compton & Fuller, changed its name to what in December 1951 after Frederick Compton entered new partnership with an aspiring young motorbike salesman (who would subsequently reach major heights in the motorsport industry)?

Im going to hazard a guess at March with the man in question being Mad Max Mosley

D-Type
29th January 2010, 22:32
I'll follow Arrows FA1's lead.

Would it be Compton & Ecclestone?

52Paddy
31st January 2010, 02:25
Arrows, it was indeed Bernie and D-Type is correct with Compton & Ecclestone. Someone else feel free to pose a question if you've got one :)

D-Type
13th February 2010, 19:40
Here's a nice little one

"Who won a saloon car championship the year after winning the world championship?"

DazzlaF1
13th February 2010, 19:42
Here's a nice little one

"Who won a saloon car championship the year after winning the world championship?"

Easy, Jim Clark (F1 World Champion 1963, BTCC Champion 1964)

Saint Devote
14th February 2010, 01:08
Which Indy Car or CART driver tested for Williams at Estoril in 1991?

52Paddy
14th February 2010, 02:50
Christian Fittipaldi?

Saint Devote
14th February 2010, 04:45
Christian Fittipaldi?

No :D

Actually when I read this little item I was so surprised because I had either forgotten or never knew.

Clue: I'd say he is part of an American version of the Fittipaldis.

Saint Devote
14th February 2010, 04:53
Tomorrow, Valentine's Day, was the birthday of a much beloved racing driver - along with Niki Lauda, he enjoyed the humour of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

He would greet his friend, well known racing writer Alan Henry with "Morning Albatross!".

The driver's name is?

Ranger
14th February 2010, 08:41

Actually when I read this little item I was so surprised because I had either forgotten or never knew.

Clue: I'd say he is part of an American version of the Fittipaldis.

Al Unser Jr. ?

Tomorrow, Valentine's Day, was the birthday of a much beloved racing driver - along with Niki Lauda, he enjoyed the humour of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

He would greet his friend, well known racing writer Alan Henry with "Morning Albatross!".

The driver's name is?

"Was" ? I'll take that to mean they are no longer with us.

I would've said James Hunt, but 'much beloved' wouldn't be the first term to describe him. Ronnie Peterson?

52Paddy
14th February 2010, 15:44
The driver's name is?

Yeah, Ronnie Peterson in 1944. There was also Ricardo Rodriguez in 1942 and Bayliss Leverett in 1913 [Indianapolis 500, 1950-1952]

Saint Devote
14th February 2010, 16:09
Yes, Superswede and Unser Jr.

Al Jr was a surprise. Pity F1 was never a priority for him. But in those days the Indy 500 was a great race and tyhe accompanying series was extremely strong - even Clay Regazzoni went to Indy in 1977 and missed Monte Carlo!!!

Such a damn pity that people such as Ronnie, Gilles and James are not around today - would have loved to hear the comments - especially Hunt's, on F1 today.

Saint Devote
14th February 2010, 16:13
Al Unser Jr. ?

"Was" ? I'll take that to mean they are no longer with us.

I would've said James Hunt, but 'much beloved' wouldn't be the first term to describe him. Ronnie Peterson?

Curious how some drivers raise "sides" [Hunt and Mansell] - while others such as Peterson are liked by all.

D-Type
14th February 2010, 18:17
Easy, Jim Clark (F1 World Champion 1963, BTCC Champion 1964)Almost - it was 1965 and 1966.
Sorry that you found the question too easy - I just felt that the idea of a two-time world champion racing in national saloon car racing is just so different to today's world that it was worth posting.

52Paddy
14th February 2010, 20:34
Here's one. Jackie Stewart won the 1972 French GP. He claimed that he used a particular driving strategy in order to win the race. What was it and what did his rivals think of it?

Saint Devote
15th February 2010, 02:21
Here's one. Jackie Stewart won the 1972 French GP. He claimed that he used a particular driving strategy in order to win the race. What was it and what did his rivals think of it?

Did he keep driving off line because there were lots of stones on the track causing punctures and injury to Helmet Marko, now of Red Bull Racing?

Interesting question :-]

Rollo
15th February 2010, 03:48
I can't imagine that Jackie Stewart would deliberately try to harm his competitors.

Did he not use the clutch for this GP?

D-Type
15th February 2010, 21:02
Something to do with his ulcer?

DazzlaF1
15th February 2010, 23:00
Isnt that the race where a technical problem on the formation lap meant he had no use of his rear brakes?

52Paddy
16th February 2010, 19:42
Did he keep driving off line because there were lots of stones on the track causing punctures and injury to Helmet Marko, now of Red Bull Racing?

Interesting question :-]

Correct. He avoided punctures by driving off line, so he said. Though his team mates thought it was a load of arse.

Saint Devote
17th February 2010, 01:30
Correct. He avoided punctures by driving off line, so he said. Though his team mates thought it was a load of arse.

:D Gosh! I got it correct!

You know, I remembered that the race had all those punctures and Marko's injury - and I recalled how Stewart was one day asked about Chris Amon not winning.

Jackie said that the obvious line round a track with problems is not always the way to go - and that Amon should be considered responsible for NEVER having won.

That is why I answered that way.

JYS was always a special one huh?!

Amazing that a small country such as Scotland produced two of the greatest ever - and in Clark's case my view, the greatest ever - racing drivers.

52 grand prix wins
5 world titles
50 pole positions
43 fastest laps

and ALL THAT from only 171 races. Remarkable!!!! :D :D

52Paddy
17th February 2010, 18:16
And lets not forget their greats in other motorsports - Colin McRae and John Cleland! :up:

New question?

Saint Devote
18th February 2010, 01:20
And lets not forget their greats in other motorsports - Colin McRae and John Cleland! :up:

New question?

:o How COULD I omit those two.

BTCC was just the best during the Cleland years.

Amazing nation huh? Och aye! :D

Saint Devote
18th February 2010, 01:24
Here are TWO new questions:

Which current team boss RACED for Alan Docking racing in British F3 and his own team in F3000 [maybe this last one gives it away]?

And:
Why does the one and only Jonesy-boy, as his great late mate James Hunt used to call him [anyone else remember the fantastic 1976 dice at the RoC at Brands between Jones and Hunt :-] absolutely WRANKLE when anyone suggests he won 12 grands prix?

D-Type
18th February 2010, 21:33
Don't know the first.

The second one is because he also won the 1980 Spanish GP which was dropped from the championship for political reasons and therefore is ignored by those who think F1 and grand prix is the same as world championship races.

DazzlaF1
18th February 2010, 21:36
Here are TWO new questions:

Which current team boss RACED for Alan Docking racing in British F3 and his own team in F3000 [maybe this last one gives it away]?

And:
Why does the one and only Jonesy-boy, as his great late mate James Hunt used to call him [anyone else remember the fantastic 1976 dice at the RoC at Brands between Jones and Hunt :-] absolutely WRANKLE when anyone suggests he won 12 grands prix?

I think the first one might be Christian Horner.

Saint Devote
19th February 2010, 03:04
Yes, Horner and Jarama 1980 :-]

Jones is still extremely angry about that - he gave a great interview in Motorsport magazine some months ago - and at his next win at Paul Ricard he refused to stand on the podium while Balestre was also present.

Today drivers like Jones and others such as Jody Scheckter would be banned from the sport!!!

Saint Devote
21st February 2010, 02:56
Who had the longest break between racing in a grand prix again? Clue: he was actually very good in wet conditions and loved the rain.

See if y'all remember who replaced Carlos Reutemann in 1982 at Williams - no peeking yet: clue - he worked in a coal mine in Australia to earn money for racing once with another driver who I was a fan of and should have gotten a decent chance in f1 [if I told you who you would guess the answer].

Which team principle prefers vinyl to cd's?

Josti
21st February 2010, 13:31
Who had the longest break between racing in a grand prix again? Clue: he was actually very good in wet conditions and loved the rain.

See if y'all remember who replaced Carlos Reutemann in 1982 at Williams - no peeking yet: clue - he worked in a coal mine in Australia to earn money for racing once with another driver who I was a fan of and should have gotten a decent chance in f1 [if I told you who you would guess the answer].

Which team principle prefers vinyl to cd's?

1. Jan Lammers (Luca Badoer came close last year though!)

2. Derek Daly I think

3. ...

Saint Devote
21st February 2010, 15:03
1. Jan Lammers (Luca Badoer came close last year though!)

2. Derek Daly I think

3. ...

Right on both and the driver that worked alongside him was David Kennedy.

Saint Devote
23rd February 2010, 03:00
Answer to the third question is Ross Brawn.

He likes to relax after work listening to "his vinyla" which he prefers to cd's.

ShiftingGears
23rd February 2010, 12:50
Isnt that the race where a technical problem on the formation lap meant he had no use of his rear brakes?

I'm pretty sure that was at Monaco, possibly in the same year (1972).

D-Type
23rd February 2010, 20:21
Ahem ... surely the answer to question 1 is Herman Lang - 1939 to 1953?

Or are we working on the principle that grand prix racing didn't start until 1950?

Saint Devote
24th February 2010, 01:52
Ahem ... surely the answer to question 1 is Herman Lang - 1939 to 1953?

Or are we working on the principle that grand prix racing didn't start until 1950?

Correct but not grand prix racing - from the time the EDC ended in 1939 and changed to become the WDC in 1950.

Saint Devote
24th February 2010, 01:57
Which team has changed name and exists today but maintains the ORIGINAL company number?

Making it one of the oldest teams :-]

DazzlaF1
24th February 2010, 10:02
Which team has changed name and exists today but maintains the ORIGINAL company number?

Sauber?

ArrowsFA1
24th February 2010, 14:43

Didn't Ross Brawn mention a while ago that when he took over from Honda he discovered that the Tyrrell company number was still associated with the team from the days of the BAR buyout?

BDunnell
24th February 2010, 22:57
Didn't Ross Brawn mention a while ago that when he took over from Honda he discovered that the Tyrrell company number was still associated with the team from the days of the BAR buyout?

That is the correct answer, I am certain. I read this in the new issue of MotorSport, I'm sure.

Saint Devote
25th February 2010, 00:20
Yes its Ross Brawn - Tyrrell :-]

Imagine that Mercedes linked to the wonderful Tyrrell team - lets see now if they can match the accomplishments of the great Uncle Ken as Mercedes.

Certainly Ross the boss is made of similar stuff.

My favorite Tyrrell is the 007. Photos have rarely done that car justice. Two favorite pictures of mine is one at Anderstorp 1974 where Jody and Patrick are leading 1-2 down the straight past the pits and, with Jody leady Lole in a great opposite lock oversteer through I think the old Jukskei Sweep at Kyalami. He was not known as "Sideways Scheckter" for nothing!

D-Type
25th February 2010, 01:10
Correct but not grand prix racing - from the time the EDC ended in 1939 and changed to become the WDC in 1950.

Not so. It doesn't have to be a championship round to be a grand prix. There were grandes epreuves in 1947, 1948 and 1949

Saint Devote
25th February 2010, 01:39
Not so. It doesn't have to be a championship round to be a grand prix. There were grandes epreuves in 1947, 1948 and 1949

Which is why I said not grand prix racing but in connection with the EDC and WDC.

Rollo
25th February 2010, 02:04

McLaren.

McLaren Racing Ltd has the same company number as Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd, and was formed as a result of a merger with Ron Dennis's Project Four Racing Ltd and a subsequent takeover and buyout of the remaining shareholders of Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd.

Hence the reason why the cars carry the chassis designation MP4-25. McLaren Project 4 - 25 (not Marlboro Project 4 which stopped when the chassis designations changed from a slash to a dash).

Saint Devote
25th February 2010, 03:26
McLaren.

McLaren Racing Ltd has the same company number as Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd, and was formed as a result of a merger with Ron Dennis's Project Four Racing Ltd and a subsequent takeover and buyout of the remaining shareholders of Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd.

Hence the reason why the cars carry the chassis designation MP4-25. McLaren Project 4 - 25 (not Marlboro Project 4 which stopped when the chassis designations changed from a slash to a dash).

But the name did not change - the cars have always been Mclarens even when Teddy Mayer, Gordon Coppuck and Tyler Alexander no longer ran the team.

Rollo
25th February 2010, 05:07
But the name did not change - the cars have always been Mclarens even when Teddy Mayer, Gordon Coppuck and Tyler Alexander no longer ran the team.

Your question was:

And yes, the team name HAS changed.

1. Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd > 2.McLaren Racing Ltd and it trades as 3Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, which are three materially different names. :D

DazzlaF1
25th February 2010, 23:42
Your question was:

And yes, the team name HAS changed.

1. Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd > 2.McLaren Racing Ltd and it trades as 3Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, which are three materially different names. :D

It was called McLaren International when Ron Dennis came on board in 1981, and that i think is still what it is known as today.

Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes is just corporate branding at work which does not use the company's real name, for example take Williams, their entry identity is AT&T Williams but the company itself is still known as Williams Grand Prix Engineering and that has'nt changed since Frank Williams re-formed his team back in 1977.

Saint Devote
26th February 2010, 01:41
A driver in the late 1970's barricaded himself in his hotel room and refused to come out and participate in grand prix practice until the team owner agreed to treat his mechanics better. Who is he?

In 1976, a certain driver after going off during practice, stood in front of his racing car in order to protect it. His name was?

In the 1980's a certain well known teams' mechanics refused to do any further work on the car of one of their drivers. They had already done work the equivalent of TWO grands prix and the race was yet to be run. This driver is known as?

52Paddy
26th February 2010, 17:37
A driver in the late 1970's barricaded himself in his hotel room and refused to come out and participate in grand prix practice until the team owner agreed to treat his mechanics better. Who is he?

In 1976, a certain driver after going off during practice, stood in front of his racing car in order to protect it. His name was?

In the 1980's a certain well known teams' mechanics refused to do any further work on the car of one of their drivers. They had already done work the equivalent of TWO grands prix and the race was yet to be run. This driver is known as?

1. Gunnar Nilsson (1977) or Jean-Pierre Jarier (1978)?

2. Harald Ertl?

3. Ivan Capelli?

Saint Devote
27th February 2010, 00:16
None of the above :-]

But there are two Italians and one Frenchman involved here.

52Paddy
27th February 2010, 01:13
I'm going to focus on question 2 at the moment.

I've narrowed it down, given that it's either a Frenchman or an Italian. And, it's possibly someone with little experience.

Going into 1976, both Renzo Zorzi and Michel Leclére had one previous start each. Alessandro Pesenti-Rossi had none, but he didn't arrive until later in the year, and he also had a good finishing record.

Given that Leclere entered more races, I'll go with him but I'm just trying to make educated guesses now. These are question you either know or you don't.

Saint Devote
27th February 2010, 04:02
I'm going to focus on question 2 at the moment.

I've narrowed it down, given that it's either a Frenchman or an Italian. And, it's possibly someone with little experience.

Going into 1976, both Renzo Zorzi and Michel Leclére had one previous start each. Alessandro Pesenti-Rossi had none, but he didn't arrive until later in the year, and he also had a good finishing record.

Given that Leclere entered more races, I'll go with him but I'm just trying to make educated guesses now. These are question you either know or you don't.

It is something one remembers from the time or not :D

The answer to Question 2 is Vittorio Brambilla.
He went off at Long Beach and worried that the other drivers would not take care he stood in front of his car thinking that they would be extra careful!

I think they stopped practice to retrieve the car.

I guess these days the late "Monza Gorilla" would have fined by the FIA. Drivers were allowed to be free in those days.

Saint Devote
27th February 2010, 04:06
Clue for Q1 is that it is a French driver.

Clue for Q3 - may give the driver away - the team is from Woking

:-]

52Paddy
27th February 2010, 14:09
Clue for Q1 is that it is a French driver.

Clue for Q3 - may give the driver away - the team is from Woking

No idea about Q1 for the moment.

But Q3 I take it is McLaren. So would it be Andrea de Crasharis at the 1981 Dutch GP?

Sonic
27th February 2010, 16:03

Q1. Lauda?

Not sure about the others.

Saint Devote
28th February 2010, 00:37
No idea about Q1 for the moment.

But Q3 I take it is McLaren. So would it be Andrea de Crasharis at the 1981 Dutch GP?

Yes it was none other than Ron Dennis' first protege who he brought from Project 4 F3 into F1 :D

Remember the Italian's cartwheeling the Ligier at the Osterreichring? :eek:

And when de Cesaris won pole position - the youngest ever pole position winner for over 12 years when Barrichello claimed his first, he burst into tears!!! Emotional fellow.

Saint Devote
28th February 2010, 00:50
Q1 is a French driver and he only ever drove for two teams, twice!. He has won grands prix.

Early in his career he astounded the grand prix circus in his first full year for one reason and cemented a decades long friendship with someone every fan admires and respects.

Hawkmoon
28th February 2010, 04:20
Q1 is a French driver and he only ever drove for two teams, twice!. He has won grands prix.

Early in his career he astounded the grand prix circus in his first full year for one reason and cemented a decades long friendship with someone every fan admires and respects.

Jacques Lafitte?

ShiftingGears
28th February 2010, 05:07
Jacques Lafitte?

This is what I suspected. Having just checked, it is Jacques Laffite - he only ever drove for Ligier and Williams.

Saint Devote
28th February 2010, 16:04
Yes :-]

One of my FAVORITE drivers - how could he have been anything else BUT a racing driver. Like Vittorio Brambilla!

I was at Brands that day when Laffite was injured at the start and Dr. Johnathan Palmer was the first on the scene.

It is a unique unhappy experience to actually be at a track when one of your favorite drivers are injured.

There was a wonderful interview in F1 racing with Laffite and his brother-in-law Jean-Pierre Jabouille several months ago.

What a golden time for French motor racing - and today there is not even a French Grand Prix. It makes me sad.

DazzlaF1
28th February 2010, 16:08
Yes :-]

One of my FAVORITE drivers - how could he have been anything else BUT a racing driver. Like Vittorio Brambilla!

I was at Brands that day when Laffite was injured at the start and Dr. Johnathan Palmer was the first on the scene.

It is a unique unhappy experience to actually be at a track when one of your favorite drivers are injured.

There was a wonderful interview in F1 racing with Laffite and his brother-in-law Jean-Pierre Jabouille several months ago.

What a golden time for French motor racing - and today there is not even a French Grand Prix. It makes me sad.

Or even a French driver for that matter (whereas there are SIX Germans)

52Paddy
28th February 2010, 17:53
Nice questions StDevote :up: Try this one:

Who was mistakingly given fastest lap at the 1980 Monaco GP before it being reprimanded? Who had the official fastest lap thereafter? And why was the time given to the initial "fastest lap setter" considered erroneous?

Saint Devote
28th February 2010, 19:06
Nice questions StDevote :up: Try this one:

Who was mistakingly given fastest lap at the 1980 Monaco GP before it being reprimanded? Who had the official fastest lap thereafter? And why was the time given to the initial "fastest lap setter" considered erroneous?

Thank you :D

I THINK, Carlos Reutemann got fastest lap - guessing that because he won the race and - was it Alan Jones who was given it mistakenly but he missed the Ste Devote chicane? Was there a Ligier involved?

And there was that Derek Daly spectacular at the first corner!

52Paddy
1st March 2010, 12:35
Thank you :D

I THINK, Carlos Reutemann got fastest lap - guessing that because he won the race and - was it Alan Jones who was given it mistakenly but he missed the Ste Devote chicane? Was there a Ligier involved?

And there was that Derek Daly spectacular at the first corner!

Reutemann did get the official fastest lap, but neither Alan Jones or Ligier were involved. The unofficial fastest lap was considered erroneous but not because of a penalty enforced on the driver. Any ideas now?

Saint Devote
2nd March 2010, 03:32
I have no idea!!! :-]

52Paddy
2nd March 2010, 11:29
I'll post the answer this evening if nobody gets it.

D28
2nd March 2010, 16:45
I'll post the answer this evening if nobody gets it.

Could it be Ricardo Patrese? No idea why it was amended.

52Paddy
3rd March 2010, 00:56
Could it be Ricardo Patrese? No idea why it was amended.

Correct :D

Here is the reason: Patrese came up as the fastest lap setter on the timing screens but the lap with which this was awarded was during a wet stint of the race. The officials, therefore, regarded this as an impossibility as there were many dry laps later (or maybe before hand) in the race. Drivers would clearly set their fastest laps in this section of the race. As a result, Carlos Reutemann was awarded with the fastest lap, which was set in dry conditions. And the error was put down to a technical fault with the timing system.

Saint Devote
3rd March 2010, 01:15
Ricardo got his "revenge" though - 1982 winner and.... fastest lap! :-]

ArrowsFA1
4th March 2010, 08:44
...the error was put down to a technical fault with the timing system.
Interesting stuff :s mokin: The odd thing on Forix (http://forix.autosport.com/) is that they have RP setting the 14th fastest lap of the race with a 1'28.858, only they don't know on which lap he set that time :p

Saint Devote
31st March 2010, 01:39
Which current F1 driver during his time in F3 was renowned for his ability to be incredibly quick when braking, heeling and toeing, and downshifting in that he made it sound and appear as if there was a semi-automatic gearbox [concept by John Barnard] in the car?

52Paddy
31st March 2010, 02:14
There must have not been a semi-automatic gearbox in the car so I'd imagine he's from the mid-90s stock of F3 drivers at the latest. Jarno Trulli?

Saint Devote
31st March 2010, 03:39
There must have not been a semi-automatic gearbox in the car so I'd imagine he's from the mid-90s stock of F3 drivers at the latest. Jarno Trulli?

You are spot on with the 90's - but you may take it right up to 1999 :-]

Not Jarno Trulli. I think there are three or four others to choose from.

This driver spent only one year in F3 but also did well in the British F3 series and at Macau.

52Paddy
31st March 2010, 15:10

This driver spent only one year in F3 but also did well in the British F3 series and at Macau.

Well I remember Mark Webber doing decent in F3 in 2000 or 2001 with Supernova I think but that would have been too late. Kubica also had a great stint in the British series but I think that was closer to 2004. Now, my hunch is to go with Button? He came into F1 quite early, which might explain his one year in F3 and also, his much talked about smooth driving style may have shown early signs in this instance.

AndyL
31st March 2010, 15:20

Hmmm, is this a question that we can guess the answer to without even reading the question, but simply considering who the questioner is ;)

52Paddy
31st March 2010, 15:26
Hmmm, is this a question that we can guess the answer to without even reading the question, but simply considering who the questioner is ;)

In all fairness, while you're correct in your analogy, I am making an effort to answer with good reason and not by trial and error. There's no satisfaction in that :)

jedii
1st April 2010, 00:22
rubans barrichello

Saint Devote
1st April 2010, 03:47
Well done both Paddy and Andy :-]]

Yes the answer is Jenson Button.

I was reading an article a few days ago and came across that but of "fan information".

Saint Devote
1st April 2010, 03:52
Here is one that I struggled to answer and finally looked it up:

Who replaced Martin Donnelly [such a great talent eh Paddy?] at Lotus after his dreadful accident in 1990?

I ran through every single driver of that period I could remembert and forgot this driver. Kicked myself that I did not remember him because I enjoyed his grand prix wins so much.

Ranger
1st April 2010, 06:08
Here is one that I struggled to answer and finally looked it up:

Who replaced Martin Donnelly [such a great talent eh Paddy?] at Lotus after his dreadful accident in 1990?

I ran through every single driver of that period I could remembert and forgot this driver. Kicked myself that I did not remember him because I enjoyed his grand prix wins so much.

Johnny Herbert, has to be.

Speaking of whom...

Who was the only other driver to drive in every season of the 1990's?

Mintexmemory
1st April 2010, 17:39
Easy - Jean Alessi :s mokin:

52Paddy
1st April 2010, 21:44

Yeah, a great shame his career ended so early.

Jean Alesi, definitely. I was going to argue Johnny Herbert but now see you said "...every other driver".

New question: Why was Nigel Mansell given a black flag in the 1989 Portuguese GP? He subsequently ignored it and was disqualified.

Josti
1st April 2010, 22:16
Yeah, a great shame his career ended so early.

Jean Alesi, definitely. I was going to argue Johnny Herbert but now see you said "...every other driver".

New question: Why was Nigel Mansell given a black flag in the 1989 Portuguese GP? He subsequently ignored it and was disqualified.

Reversing in the pitlane (by himself). I think he even crashed into another car afterwards.

52Paddy
1st April 2010, 23:34
Correct Josti. Fire ahead :up:

Saint Devote
2nd April 2010, 00:18
Johnny Herbert, has to be.

Speaking of whom...

Yes, Johnny Herbert.
There will I think always be a wonder what could have been of only he had not been so terribly injured.

It was just superb when he won at Silverstone and Monza.

Saint Devote
2nd April 2010, 00:24

At least you remembered Herbert! :)

In 1989 F1 was not as neurotic as it is today and even less in 1979.

I recall Elio de Angelis in the Shadow at Kyalami missing the pit lane - stopping - reversing to the entrance - and entering the pits. Doing so he almost caused John Watson to collide with him, who had to swerve IN the pitlane.

Great reactions and driving from Watson.

NOTHING happened to him other than I think it was safety representative Peter Langford "reprimanding" him at the track.

I think these days something like that would have the FIA go absolutely ballistic and ban him for life with a trillion dollar fine!!

Times change.

Saint Devote
2nd April 2010, 00:36
What do the following drivers have in common when they each drove for one of FOUR teams on the 2010 grid?

Regazzoni
Clark
Gonzalez
Jabouille

52Paddy
2nd April 2010, 03:43
Gonzalez won Ferrari's first F1 race. Jabouille won a turbo cars' first F1 race (and possibly Renault's?). Clark scored the first win for Lotus' monocoque chassis (though not for Lotus in general). And Regazzoni gave Williams' their first win.

:s mokin:

Saint Devote
3rd April 2010, 02:43
Gonzalez won Ferrari's first F1 race. Jabouille won a turbo cars' first F1 race (and possibly Renault's?). Clark scored the first win for Lotus' monocoque chassis (though not for Lotus in general). And Regazzoni gave Williams' their first win.

:s mokin:

:D Platinum star for you auld sunne!!!

52Paddy
3rd April 2010, 14:25
Who developed an in-line six cylinder trubocharged F1 engine in 1981 which was never raced?

Saint Devote
5th April 2010, 03:22
Who developed an in-line six cylinder trubocharged F1 engine in 1981 which was never raced?

This is a tough question.

Was it Dave Hart for the Toleman? The only other guess I have would be Honda for the Spirit team?

52Paddy
5th April 2010, 13:10
This is a tough question.

Was it Dave Hart for the Toleman? The only other guess I have would be Honda for the Spirit team?

It wasn't Dave Hart or Honda. I'm looking for a name but here are some clues.

1. I'm not exactly sure of his nationality but I think he's German or Austrian.
2. He was associated with (not sure in what way exactly) with a top German manufacture.
3. He has either prepared sports cars by the manufacturer in clue 2 for racing (not necessarily top-line sports car racing, I think it was national...) or, maybe he raced them cars himself!

Sorry, but I only came across this information recently and haven't found much more on it than his name.

Saint Devote
6th April 2010, 00:23
It wasn't Dave Hart or Honda. I'm looking for a name but here are some clues.

1. I'm not exactly sure of his nationality but I think he's German or Austrian.
2. He was associated with (not sure in what way exactly) with a top German manufacture.
3. He has either prepared sports cars by the manufacturer in clue 2 for racing (not necessarily top-line sports car racing, I think it was national...) or, maybe he raced them cars himself!

Sorry, but I only came across this information recently and haven't found much more on it than his name.

Historical snippets are always the best!

Was it Heine Mader perhaps and connected to BMW??

52Paddy
6th April 2010, 12:02
Historical snippets are always the best!

Was it Heine Mader perhaps and connected to BMW??

Not Mader, but he is a BMW man. Want me to put you out of your misery? :D

Saint Devote
30th April 2010, 01:28
Not Mader, but he is a BMW man. Want me to put you out of your misery? :D

Took a little while to respond :o

Yes please :D

Saint Devote
30th April 2010, 01:31
Lotus had the green and yellow colors and now the Lotus reincarnation also have the colours.

BUT - which other constructor in between the period made their car the same colours?

GJD
30th April 2010, 10:30
There may be more, but...

Brabham (BT26, 1968)
Ensign (N173, 1973)
Benetton (B192, 1992 and B193, 1993)

Saint Devote
30th April 2010, 11:19
There may be more, but...

Brabham (BT26, 1968)
Ensign (N173, 1973)
Benetton (B192, 1992 and B193, 1993)

I would strike Benetton because they did not specfically paint their car that way because of Lotus.

The other two I have no idea. My intent of the question is that this team did so deliberately.

Regardless, there is another team that did so and it had links to certain people still in F1 teams today.

Maybe I phrased the question obscurely!

52Paddy
30th April 2010, 12:51
Not sure of the question you posed. Interesting one.

In relation to the previous question, the man was Max Heidegger.

Saint Devote
1st May 2010, 00:53
Not sure of the question you posed. Interesting one.

In relation to the previous question, the man was Max Heidegger.

Heidegger. Good god! that is a name I have not heard for many years. BMW and March used to be synonymous during the real F2 days. Not the silly formula it is today.

The car I was referring to actually was the Token-Cosworth DFV in 1974 and the link there today primarily was through the Project name - Ron Dennis.

D-Type
2nd May 2010, 11:59
Folks,

Can I make a couple of suggestions to avoid complete chaos?

(1) Make it a rule not to ask a new question until the previous one is bottomed out - ie the person who asked the question confirms it is correct.

(2) Alternatively, always make it clear which question you are answering or referring to.

Saint Devote
2nd May 2010, 15:25
Folks,

(1) Make it a rule not to ask a new question until the previous one is bottomed out - ie the person who asked the question confirms it is correct.

(2) Alternatively, always make it clear which question you are answering or referring to.

Chaos is merely a pattern not yet recognized :D

52Paddy
2nd May 2010, 22:03
Folks,

I agree. That was my original intention. Though it seems its mostly a tussle between myself, yourself and Saint Devote so I doubt it will get too chaotic :)

Fancy asking the next one?

D-Type
3rd May 2010, 16:08
I agree. That was my original intention. Though it seems its mostly a tussle between myself, yourself and Saint Devote so I doubt it will get too chaotic :)

Fancy asking the next one?
No thanks. I haven't got a good one at the moment.

D-Type
22nd May 2010, 22:38
Here's a question to get things moving again:

What was the first turbocharged car to take pole position in a world championship race?

52Paddy
23rd May 2010, 00:45
Renault RS10?

D-Type
23rd May 2010, 20:23
Renault RS10?
No (surprisingly). You need to go earlier. :s mokin:

52Paddy
25th May 2010, 18:25
I don't know to be honest. I thought Renault began the turbo era at the end of the 70s. Was it a Honda?

D-Type
25th May 2010, 21:00
No, not a Honda.

Hint: Note the way I phrased the question ;)

52Paddy
25th May 2010, 22:14
Turbocharged? i.e. has a turbo

Pole position i.e. probably didn't win

World Championship Race i.e. not a non-championship outing

I think I'll have to consult my data book to be honest. I'll have a check and get back to you.

Ranger
26th May 2010, 00:19
No, not a Honda.

Hint: Note the way I phrased the question ;)

Was it an Indy 500 in the 1950's?

If it was a European invention it probably would have stayed around and be noted as the first 'formula 1' turbo car, just a guess. :)

Saint Devote
26th May 2010, 01:08
Was it sometime in the fifties and the make was perhaps Lancia or Alfa Romeo?

Rollo
26th May 2010, 01:09
Here's a question to get things moving again:

What was the first turbocharged car to take pole position in a world championship race?

Fred Agabashian - 1952 Indianapolis 500

The Cummins Diesel Special was the first entry in the Indianapolis 500 to be powered by a turbocharged engine (then described as "turbosupercharged").

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/photos/indy-special.jpg

D-Type
26th May 2010, 22:19
:up: That's the one!

Your question now

Rollo
27th May 2010, 00:21
What was the smallest engine capacity ever to appear at an F1 event?

Saint Devote
27th May 2010, 00:34
I dont recognize the Indy 500 as part of the world championship aka F1.

I shudder at what they were thinking at the time to include it.

Rollo
27th May 2010, 02:12
You might not but the FIA did, and it's in the official records. Ferrari even went to the effort of sending Alberto Ascari across in the Ferrari 375; as far as I know it's the only Ferrari to actually compete at Indianapolis, in the 500.

Of course there are the GP cars themselves and the stillborn 637 which had the word blackmail written all over it.

D28
27th May 2010, 04:13
You might not but the FIA did, and it's in the official records. Ferrari even went to the effort of sending Alberto Ascari across in the Ferrari 375; as far as I know it's the only Ferrari to actually compete at Indianapolis, in the 500.

This is correct. In 1952 a trio of Ferraris were entered, one by the factory for Ascari and 2 others for American entrants. There may have been another works entry planned for Farina, but this car never left Italy. Only Ascari qualified (19th) but went out with a broken wheel on lap 40. Ascari impressed with smooth consistent laps, while the car was underpowered and underdeveloped.

Vitesse
27th May 2010, 10:33
I dont recognize the Indy 500 as part of the world championship aka F1.

I shudder at what they were thinking at the time to include it.
The reason it was included was because it was the United States' Grande Épreuve. What you seem to fail to realise is that in the early years of the World Championship for Drivers the organisers of the races selected by the FIA as part of the championship were free - if they so wished - to run their events to any regulations they chose.

As it happens, the AAA were still running the '500' to a slightly modified version of the 1938-1940 International Formula as determined by the FIA's predecessor the AIACR.

Rollo: can I ask you to clarify whether by "F1 event" you mean "World Championship event"? The two are very different!

AndyL
27th May 2010, 11:02

I'm going to guess 1 litre, on the basis that someone must have run F2 cars in F1 during the 60s.

D28
27th May 2010, 14:07
Could it be 500 cc in a Cooper F3? Harry Schell ran such a car for about 1 lap at Monaco GP 1950.

D28
28th May 2010, 22:35
Could it be 500 cc in a Cooper F3? Harry Schell ran such a car for about 1 lap at Monaco GP 1950.

On looking it up I see this is incorrect. Harry drove the 500cc in the F3 race, winning his heat. He then switched to the 1100cc JAP twin engine for the GP.
He was allowed to enter despite having zero practice time! This is what put me off, needless to say, regulations were a bit more relaxed 60 yeras ago. Still this is the first rear engined car to start a F1 race, and may be one of the smallest motors.

Rollo
29th May 2010, 01:17

Smaller than that.

D-Type
31st May 2010, 18:11
748cc DB in the 1955 Pau GP

Or, does "appear at a F1 event" include supporting races?

Rollo
31st May 2010, 21:24
No. This was an actual Formula One car.

If it was smaller than 500cc it's smaller than 748cc.

D28
2nd June 2010, 17:58
No. This was an actual Formula One car.

If it was smaller than 500cc it's smaller than 748cc.

OK Rollo, maybe you should just tell us. I can find no reference to an engine that small, I give up, but remain curious.

Rollo
2nd June 2010, 21:43
The clue is in the question:

And the answer to that is 0cc. Zero.

At the 1992 Canadian GP, Andrea Moda arrived at the circuit with no engines at all because of legal troubles. Although Roberto Moreno did manage to complete four laps because they borrowed an engine from Brabham, and to avoid being fined, the team pushed Perry McCarthy's car over the line at the end of the pit lane.
http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr523.html

Not quite as sad as the Spanish GP that year though:
http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr520.html
Andrea Moda Formula continued its mad F1 career with Perry McCarthy (now with a superlicence, which he did not have in Brazil) completing 10 yards
... that's a First Down isn't it?

D-Type
2nd June 2010, 22:37
:hmph: Hmmm, very devious :angryfire
but perfectly fair :up:

52Paddy
3rd June 2010, 00:11
You old trickster Rollo! :p :

Rollo
3rd June 2010, 00:52
Ok then.

Who was the first person ever, to only score ½ a point in a GP?

D28
3rd June 2010, 02:11
Ok then.

Who was the first person ever, to only score ½ a point in a GP?

Lella Lombardi scored the first points for a woman in the 1975 Spanish GP, 1/2 a point for 6th.

Rollo
3rd June 2010, 02:41
poopsticks, I made that too easy.

NEXT QUESTION PLEASE

D-Type
5th June 2010, 18:04
How about drivers wining in cars they built themselves (or, more correctly in cars bearing their name):

(1) Who won a World Drivers' Championship?
(2) Who won a Can-Am Championship?
(3) Who won Le Mans?
(4) Who won a Monte Carlo rally?

D28
5th June 2010, 18:27
How about drivers wining in cars they built themselves (or, more correctly in cars bearing their name):

(1) Who won a World Drivers' Championship?
(2) Who won a Can-Am Championship?
(3) Who won Le Mans?
(4) Who won a Monte Carlo rally?

I Jack Brabham 2 Bruce McLaren 3 Henri Pescarolo 4 Sydney Allard

D-Type
5th June 2010, 20:02
That was quick!

1, 2 & 4 are correct

Henri Pescarolo has won Le Mans 3 times in a Matra and once in a Porsche, but not in a Pescarolo

D28
5th June 2010, 21:40
That was quick!

1, 2 & 4 are correct

Henri Pescarolo has won Le Mans 3 times in a Matra and once in a Porsche, but not in a Pescarolo

How about Jean Rondeau.

D-Type
5th June 2010, 23:09
That's the one! :champion:

Next question please.

52Paddy
6th June 2010, 17:11
For fear of the thread going silent, I've a quick one for you:

At the 1984 US/Dallas GP, who invested $2000 for a water-cooled skullcap (solely for this race)?

D28
7th June 2010, 14:18

At the 1984 US/Dallas GP, who invested $2000 for a water-cooled skullcap (solely for this race)?

I'd go with Keke Rosberg. He only won once that year, but that was enough for the title.

52Paddy
7th June 2010, 17:22
I'd go with Keke Rosberg. He only won once that year, but that was enough for the title.

Kudos to you! Ask the next one :)

D28
7th June 2010, 17:32
In this inaugural Grand Prix, Lotuses of Clark and Hill were quicker, as were several others (Hulme and McLaren). Still Sir Jack Brabham used race craft to win.
Which race was this, and what trick did Jack pull out of his bag for the victory?

Ranger
8th June 2010, 02:50
In this inaugural Grand Prix, Lotuses of Clark and Hill were quicker, as were several others (Hulme and McLaren). Still Sir Jack Brabham used race craft to win.
Which race was this, and what trick did Jack pull out of his bag for the victory?

Canada?

I think I remember hearing that Brabham often used to cut corners slightly to kick up dust to avoid others getting past. Was it that?

D28
8th June 2010, 03:16
Canada?

I think I remember hearing that Brabham often used to cut corners slightly to kick up dust to avoid others getting past. Was it that?

Canada is correct, the 1967 Canadian GP at Mosport.

His trick was nothing as crude as that though.

Rollo
8th June 2010, 05:24
Did Brabham drive on the wet parts of the circuit so that he wouldn't have to change his tyres?

ArrowsFA1
8th June 2010, 12:56

A slight correction...Rosberg did win the 1984 US GP in Dallas and it was his only win of that year, but his title year was 1982 when he also won just one GP - the Swiss at Dijon.

Rollo
8th June 2010, 13:39

This isn't the answer but, I've been looking through Adriano Cimarosti's book "The Complete History of Grand Prix Racing" and found that in Canada in 1967, because of the teeming rain at Mosport Park, the two Brabhams had their electrical components covered in Vaseline, so that they wouldn't fail in the rain.

That would haunt Clark, Wietzes and Rindt who all went out through wet electrics.

52Paddy
8th June 2010, 19:20
Mosport 1967. The only thing that sticks out in my mind about that track is Al Pease's disqualification for being too slow. Though, that could have even been 1968.

D28
9th June 2010, 02:56
Mosport 1967. The only thing that sticks out in my mind about that track is Al Pease's disqualification for being too slow. Though, that could have even been 1968.

In 1967 Pease lost dozens of laps replacing a battery, but was still running at the end, I believe he was not classified. In 69 also at Mosport, he was black- flagged for insufficient speed.

ShiftingGears
9th June 2010, 06:25
This isn't the answer but, I've been looking through Adriano Cimarosti's book "The Complete History of Grand Prix Racing" and found that in Canada in 1967, because of the teeming rain at Mosport Park, the two Brabhams had their electrical components covered in Vaseline, so that they wouldn't fail in the rain.

That would haunt Clark, Wietzes and Rindt who all went out through wet electrics.

:laugh:

Genius.

It is a great testament to Brabham that while he was never the most rapid driver on the grid, he won three world titles and was still competing for victory in his final year of grand prix racing, at the age of 44.

52Paddy
9th June 2010, 08:18
In 1967 Pease lost dozens of laps replacing a battery, but was still running at the end, I believe he was not classified. In 69 also at Mosport, he was black- flagged for insufficient speed.

Thanks for the correction :)

D-Type
12th June 2010, 00:24

Well, if it isn't the answer it should be :champion:

Incidentally, which edition of Cimarosti have you got? My 1997 edition doesn't mention the vaseline trick

Rollo
12th June 2010, 01:26
Well, if it isn't the answer it should be :champion:

Incidentally, which edition of Cimarosti have you got? My 1997 edition doesn't mention the vaseline trick

You have the blue one with Villeneuve on the front. The 2006 edition has a picture of Michael Schumacher in that space, and Stirling Moss in the top right.

D28
12th June 2010, 03:18
Answer: Visibility was a major problem, most of the front runners pitted for fresh goggles, Hulme twice in fact. Brabham was the only one wily enough to spray his goggles with anti-fog agent, prior to the start. He overtook Hulme for the lead while he was stationary.
Sir Jack Brabham was a quick and determined driver. You don't win three titles and come close to a 4th, against his competition without that ability. He also had unmatched race engineering ability, the greatest ever IMO. Rollo's story of the vaseline coating is new to me, but typical of the practical Brabham approach. I can see Jack Brabham doing this, but not Colin Chapman.

Next question anyone.

Rollo
12th June 2010, 05:21
Pole Position, Fastest Lap of the Race, Lead Every Lap, Win the Race - The Perfect Weekend:

Who holds the record for the most number of times that this has been done and how many times did they do it?

Ranger
12th June 2010, 05:39
Pole Position, Fastest Lap of the Race, Lead Every Lap, Win the Race - The Perfect Weekend:

Who holds the record for the most number of times that this has been done and how many times did they do it?

I'll guess Jim Clark but I'd need to check Wikipedia for a number.

52Paddy
12th June 2010, 14:07

Ayrton Senna?

DazzlaF1
12th June 2010, 20:11

I think it is Senna, he did it 4 times

Portugal 1985
Spain 1989
Monaco 1990
Italy 1990

Amazingly, despite his 51 victories, Alain Prost has NEVER completed a "perfect weekend", the closes he came was Monaco 1986 where he got pole, win, fastest lap but led just 71 of the 78 laps (Senna got the other 7)

D-Type
12th June 2010, 22:10
You have the blue one with Villeneuve on the front. The 2006 edition has a picture of Michael Schumacher in that space, and Stirling Moss in the top right.I wonder how many different versions there are. Mine is light blue but doesn't have Villeneuve on the front, it has Campari in (or maybe on) an Alfa, Mario in the Lotus 78, a Williams and Szicz in the 1906 Renault. I've also seen one in Camel colours. Anyway this is by far the best single volume history.

Saint Devote
15th June 2010, 02:04

The chief rabbi of Dallas? :D

Saint Devote
15th June 2010, 02:25
Who was the first choice replacement for Niki Lauda by Enzo Ferrari as he believed that the Austrian was "done for"?

ShiftingGears
15th June 2010, 04:06

I am guessing Jim Clark and 11 times.

Rollo
15th June 2010, 06:01
Ok, it's Jim Clark people. The answer is 8 times. They are as follows:

1962 Britain, 1963 Holland, 1963 France, 1963 Mexico, 1964 Britain,
1965 South Africa, 1965 France and 1965 Germany.

What I find odd about all of this is that in theory the Monaco GP should be the easiest to do this on, by virtue of not being easily able to pass anyone there, but Clark never even won it once.

Someone else have a go.

D28
15th June 2010, 15:45
Who was the first choice replacement for Niki Lauda by Enzo Ferrari as he believed that the Austrian was "done for"?

Could it be Mario Andretti? Ferrari was well aquainted with his winning ways in anything with wheels.

Rollo
15th June 2010, 21:30

Is it Giles Villeneuve who reminded Enzo of the great Tazio Nuvolari?

Saint Devote
16th June 2010, 01:16
From the book "Four Seasons at Ferrari - the Lauda years" the driver was Emerson Fittipaldi.

It shocked Emerson and he refused that Ferrari would be contacting him literally while Lauda was critically injured in hospital. When he visited "Super Rat" in the hospital he told him about it.

Of course the next year he won his second title and left Ferrari with two races to go opening the door for Gilles Villeneuve.

Despite everything Lauda still has good esteem for Enzo Ferrari but disagrees with certain things that were done.

D28
16th June 2010, 18:45
From the book "Four Seasons at Ferrari - the Lauda years" the driver was Emerson Fittipaldi.

It shocked Emerson and he refused that Ferrari would be contacting him literally while Lauda was critically injured in hospital. When he visited "Super Rat" in the hospital he told him about it.

Of course the next year he won his second title and left Ferrari with two races to go opening the door for Gilles Villeneuve.

Despite everything Lauda still has good esteem for Enzo Ferrari but disagrees with certain things that were done.

I'm a bit surprised to read this. In 1976 Fittipaldi was just getting his new team off and running, at that point they showed some promise, without him they could not have carried on.
Lauda patched up any differences he had with Ferrari, as he later served with them as a consultant in the 1990s. I never understood what his actual duties
were, but I believe he helped advise Michael Schumacher.

DazzlaF1
16th June 2010, 19:48
Here's an easy one for you all

In 2007, Lewis Hamilton surpassed Jacques Villeneuve in having the best season ever in the world championship by a rookie by coming within 1 point of the title, but who did Villeneuve originally take that tag from in 1996?

52Paddy
16th June 2010, 20:51

In 2007, Lewis Hamilton surpassed Jacques Villeneuve in having the best season ever in the world championship by a rookie by coming within 1 point of the title, but who did Villeneuve originally take that tag from in 1996?

Just a hunch here: Alan Jones?

DazzlaF1
16th June 2010, 21:00
Just a hunch here: Alan Jones?

Nope, he scored just 2 points for Hill in his debut year of 75

D28
16th June 2010, 21:43

Jackie Stewart had a good start in 1965, with a win and a strong 3rd place finish.

Tazio
16th June 2010, 22:16
If you count '93 as his rookie season, Damon Hill would be a good suspect! :burnout:

D-Type
16th June 2010, 22:31
I wondered about Mike Hawthorn. But he was 4th in the championship in 1952

DazzlaF1
17th June 2010, 00:08
Jackie Stewart had a good start in 1965, with a win and a strong 3rd place finish.

Yep Jackie Stewart is the one, 3rd in the 1965 championship plus a win in Italy

Mike Hawthorn was the best rookie before Sir Jackie with 2 podiums and 5th in the championship in 1952 and was also the best Non-Ferrari runner that year.

Damon Hill's season in 1993 doesnt really count as a rookie season even though some people do due to the amount of times he failed to qualify his Brabham in 1992, then again he managed to qualify it twice and got a solid 11th place in Hungary that year

Rollo
17th June 2010, 00:12
Surely the best rookie year was by Nino Farina who won the World Championship in his first year?

D28
17th June 2010, 01:50
Surely the best rookie year was by Nino Farina who won the World Championship in his first year?

True, but he was already 44, bit old for a rookie!

Saint Devote
17th June 2010, 02:03
I'm a bit surprised to read this. In 1976 Fittipaldi was just getting his new team off and running, at that point they showed some promise, without him they could not have carried on.
Lauda patched up any differences he had with Ferrari, as he later served with them as a consultant in the 1990s. I never understood what his actual duties
were, but I believe he helped advise Michael Schumacher.

I was also surprised. I would guess that "Il Drake" thought that driving a competitive Ferrari and given the lack of progess by Copersucar, Emerson would have moved.

ShiftingGears
17th June 2010, 02:19

Depends - it was not his first full season of formula one grand prix racing.

BT46B
17th June 2010, 03:30

I'm STUNNED Enzo didn't have the faith in Niki that Niki had!

Saint Devote
25th June 2010, 02:34
I'm STUNNED Enzo didn't have the faith in Niki that Niki had!

:D

Saint Devote
25th June 2010, 02:37
Heres a juicy one:

Ross Brawn was a mechanic decades ago - in which team did he experience winning a grand prix, for the first time, where and who won.

Clue: people from this team made up a part of the initial core of Williams GPE.

ArrowsFA1
25th June 2010, 09:10
Ross Brawn was a mechanic decades ago - in which team did he experience winning a grand prix, for the first time, where and who won.
Ross was with March before joining Williams, but I don't know whether he was a mechanic with their F1 team when Ronnie won at Monza in 1976.

Saint Devote
25th June 2010, 12:25
Ross was with March before joining Williams, but I don't know whether he was a mechanic with their F1 team when Ronnie won at Monza in 1976.

Now you've got me. I had no idea that he was at March, never mind at the time - so let me just day it was post Monza 1976 :D

MARCH were wonderful go-karts :D What a great time in racing huh?

Bruce D
25th June 2010, 13:17
I know he was part of Arrows but Arrows never won a GP and they were a breakaway from Shadow who won in 1977, but surely he wasn't around back then?

ArrowsFA1
25th June 2010, 13:34
The only other team I can think of is Wolf, who were winning with Jody Scheckter in 1977. IIRC Frank Williams sold his team to Walter Wolf in 1976 and became an employee, but then re-formed his own team for 1978.

Patrick Head, I think, employed Brawn so perhaps Ross was in effect working for Wolf...?

Bruce D
25th June 2010, 18:08
I think you may be right there. The only error I can think of is that the Wolf was designed by Harvey Phosilthewate (spell) so it would have been him hiring engineers more likely than Head.

Saint Devote
26th June 2010, 04:07
The only other team I can think of is Wolf, who were winning with Jody Scheckter in 1977. IIRC Frank Williams sold his team to Walter Wolf in 1976 and became an employee, but then re-formed his own team for 1978.

Patrick Head, I think, employed Brawn so perhaps Ross was in effect working for Wolf...?

Spot on!
Ross Brawn was a mechanic at the time at Wolf and just getting into the engineering side - an absolutely brilliant individual. If memory serves me, he worked with Poselthwaite. In those days positions in racing teams were not as "structured" as they are today.

Ross left to join Williams GPE after Jody Scheckter won the Argentine Grand Prix in the WR1 in 1977.

Saint Devote
26th June 2010, 04:12
Which British driver had the honour of being the first driver - shaking down the Williams FW07 at [Silverstone or Goodwood??] for the team?

Clue: he sold wallpaper to initially fund his racing and was so surprised to eventually drive in grands prix that he once declared he thought he had more chance of climbing Mount Everest in slippers :-]]

Bruce D
26th June 2010, 07:43
Gonna take a wild stab at it and say Geoff Lees?

Saint Devote
26th June 2010, 12:10
Gonna take a wild stab at it and say Geoff Lees?

DazzlaF1
26th June 2010, 21:25
Which British driver had the honour of being the first driver - shaking down the Williams FW07 at [Silverstone or Goodwood??] for the team?

Clue: he sold wallpaper to initially fund his racing and was so surprised to eventually drive in grands prix that he once declared he thought he had more chance of climbing Mount Everest in slippers :-]]

Just a guess, Rupert Keegan

Saint Devote
27th June 2010, 03:40
Just a guess, Rupert Keegan

There were EIGHT British drivers who participated in the 1975 British Grand Prix. He was one of them :D

52Paddy
27th June 2010, 05:08
Did a bit of consulting my statistics book for this: It's got to be John Nicholson or David Morgan.

Saint Devote
27th June 2010, 05:21
Did a bit of consulting my statistics book for this: It's got to be John Nicholson or David Morgan.

Here is a giveaway clue: he knows Derek Warwick very well :D

Instant Mash
27th June 2010, 07:23
I know who it is, as I was reading about them just a few days ago. Absolutely CANNOT put a name to them though...

Instant Mash
27th June 2010, 07:27
Brian Henton?

52Paddy
27th June 2010, 17:50
Brian Henton?

I'd say that's it.

Saint Devote
27th June 2010, 18:29
Brian Henton?

Indeed Brian Henton :D

Instant Mash
28th June 2010, 04:48
Awww yeah!

Which driver holds the unfortunate distinction of qualifying slowest in EVERY Formula One race he entered?

Ranger
28th June 2010, 04:52
Awww yeah!

Which driver holds the unfortunate distinction of qualifying slowest in EVERY Formula One race he entered?

Markus Winkelhock qualified slowest in his only start?

Instant Mash
28th June 2010, 05:05
Not the person I had in mind, so I'll give you a hint... They participated in the '89 season.

52Paddy
28th June 2010, 08:22
Is it one of the Coloni drivers?

Instant Mash
28th June 2010, 13:30
Sure is.

Azumanga Davo
28th June 2010, 13:34
I was going to say Gabriele Tarquini, but that can't be right...?

Instant Mash
28th June 2010, 16:52
Sure isn't.

52Paddy
28th June 2010, 18:50
Tarquini is the only driver I specifically remember driving for Coloni. Some other drivers that randomly spring to mind are Enrico Bertaggia and Olivier Beretta. But I'm not sure if they even drove in that season, never mind the car!

Rollo
28th June 2010, 21:31
Sure is.

Four drivers actually qualified the Coloni.

Pierre-Henri Raphanel who qualified 18th at Monaco (can't be him).
Nicola Larini who had 7 GP points in his career (can't be him).
Gabriele Tarquini who a point for AGS (can't be him).
and Roberto Moreno who had 15 GP points in his career (can't be him).

Therefore it can't be a Coloni driver.

Saint Devote
29th June 2010, 03:25
On this one I take a wild guess: Olivier Grouillard - during that time there were around FORTY drivers trying to qualify for a grand prix.

Remember those days of trying to qualify for QUALIFYING :-]

Saint Devote
29th June 2010, 03:31
The head of which team was a close friend of Ayrton Senna since his Toleman days?

He often dined at their home and would spend hours talking on the phone to this team principle.

Instant Mash
29th June 2010, 09:17
Frank Williams?

Saint Devote
29th June 2010, 11:23
Frank Williams?

Yes :D

AndyL
29th June 2010, 12:00
Awww yeah!

If you count PRE-qualifying, then I've got 2 Coloni drivers who pre-qualified slowest in every F1 race they entered. Enrico Bertaggio and Naoki Hattori.

Instant Mash
29th June 2010, 12:52
Well yeah, I was going for Bertaggia. Could've made the question clearer though hahaha.

Anyways...

Which Formula One Grand Prix contained the most pit stops?

DazzlaF1
29th June 2010, 19:18
Well yeah, I was going for Bertaggia. Could've made the question clearer though hahaha.

Anyways...

It wouild probably be one of those races with changeable weather conditions, so i'll go for Europe 1999

52Paddy
29th June 2010, 20:08
It wouild probably be one of those races with changeable weather conditions, so i'll go for Europe 1999

I'm thinking the same so I'll go for Spa 1998 (a race that I shamefully admit to have never seen in full).

Rollo
29th June 2010, 21:33

I reckon that it has to be the 1954 US GP.

Logically if a tank lasted about 40 laps, and the first cars to drop out happened in the 74th and 79th laps, then there should have been roughly 80-85 pitstops for the race.
For any other GP that's the equivalent of the whole field stopping 3 times, which is highly uncommon.

Old Eyes
29th June 2010, 22:00
Surely no one was slower than Perry McCarthy?!

52Paddy
29th June 2010, 22:21
Surely no one was slower than Perry McCarthy?!

Hard to judge him considered he was wrapped up in that Andrea Moda fiasco. I mean, Perry McCarthy isn't known for being slow, just for being so unfortunate to end up in that team. However, enter stage left, Jean Denis-Deletraz. He was slow.

ShiftingGears
30th June 2010, 05:47
I reckon that it has to be the 1954 US GP.

Logically if a tank lasted about 40 laps, and the first cars to drop out happened in the 74th and 79th laps, then there should have been roughly 80-85 pitstops for the race.
For any other GP that's the equivalent of the whole field stopping 3 times, which is highly uncommon.

The Indy 500 was never a grand prix.

Azumanga Davo
30th June 2010, 15:38

It counted towards the championship though...

ShiftingGears
30th June 2010, 16:12
It counted towards the championship though...

Still doesn't make it a grand prix.

christophulus
30th June 2010, 16:27

The wet European GP that Spyker ended up leading.. 2007? I seem to remember cars changing tyres all day long.

DazzlaF1
30th June 2010, 18:39
I'm thinking the same so I'll go for Spa 1998 (a race that I shamefully admit to have never seen in full).

Probably your biggest regret as an F1 fan, easily the most chaotic and action packed grand prix i've ever watched

52Paddy
30th June 2010, 19:52
Probably your biggest regret as an F1 fan, easily the most chaotic and action packed grand prix i've ever watched

I will certainly amend that blot on my copybook. Perhaps this weekend if I find a few free hours :)

Rollo
30th June 2010, 21:32

Bollocks.

From 1950-1960 the Indy 500 was a grand prix, counted towards the World Championship and appears in official records.

http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr034.html
United States GP
Indianapolis 500
May 31, 1954

200 Laps, 4.023 km

Although irrelevant to the World Championship, the Indianapolis 500 remained part of the Formula 1 World Championship although in 1954 no European teams entered the event.

Please provide proof of your claim, as it like the cake is a lie.

pallone col bracciale
30th June 2010, 21:45
Just because the Indy 500 was part of the Formula One championship does not mean it was a "Grand Prix".

As I understand it was not referred to as a Grand Prix. It was known, as always, as the Indianapolis 500, not the United States Grand Prix?

D-Type
30th June 2010, 23:16
The International Sweepstakes, to use its official name, was a Grande Épreuve but not a Grand Prix although occasionally the organisers did describe it as the Indianapolis Grand Prix but never(as far as I know) as the US Grand Prix.

A Grand Prix, a World Championship qualifying race, a Formula 1 race and a Grande Épreuve are not necessarily the same thing.

[/removes pedant hat]

Rollo
30th June 2010, 23:50
Just because the Indy 500 was part of the Formula One championship does not mean it was a "Grand Prix".

Correct.

Because it was an FIA sanctioned event, forming part of the FIA Formula One World Championship, and according to the FIA called the "United States Grand Prix" is a Grand Prix.
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/1954/706/
Who proves this... the FIA.

I choose to believe the FIA, ie the ones who decide what is an isn't a Grand Prix.

Saint Devote
1st July 2010, 02:52
Correct.

Because it was an FIA sanctioned event, forming part of the FIA Formula One World Championship, and according to the FIA called the "United States Grand Prix" is a Grand Prix.
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/1954/706/
Who proves this... the FIA.

I choose to believe the FIA, ie the ones who decide what is an isn't a Grand Prix.

With respect - I do not how the FIA classify it. The Indy 500 might have counted towards the WDC, but I will never bestow that honoured title of "Grand Prix" on it.

As Juan-Pablo Montoya declared the morning of the day he won it from pole leading easily from start to finish: "its just four corners". Much to the shock and horror of the interviewer :D

Rollo
1st July 2010, 03:47
With respect - I do not how the FIA classify it. The Indy 500 might have counted towards the WDC, but I will never bestow that honoured title of "Grand Prix" on it.

So? You might not, but the FIA did. The FIA are the people who run the show.

As Juan-Pablo Montoya declared...

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." :D

D28
1st July 2010, 04:23

As Juan-Pablo Montoya declared the morning of the day he won it from pole leading easily from start to finish: "its just four corners". Much to the shock and horror of the interviewer :D

I don't believe FIA or anyone else had copyright to the term "Grand Prix".
Historically the Sebring race was labelled the Grand Prix of Endurance; also for a number of years the Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport was run to Sportscar regulations. Both of these events were International events, and thus sanctioned by FIA.

Instant Mash
1st July 2010, 06:09
The wet European GP that Spyker ended up leading.. 2007? I seem to remember cars changing tyres all day long.

Correct. :D

BT46B
1st July 2010, 23:03

This is hilarious and so true!!!

D28
2nd July 2010, 01:00
Graham Hill has some very impressive, records, one of which is LeMans winner, plus 5 time Monaco GP victor. Several drivers have won both classics, but only one (other than Hill), has repeated, that is won won one or other of the classics, more than once. Name the driver and his records. I am talking about the modern era, 1950 forward.

Rollo
2nd July 2010, 01:31
Jochen Rindt won the 1965 Le Mans 24 Hours, and the 1970 WDC and Monaco.

The only other winners of both the Monaco GP and Le Mans I can think of are Tazio Nuvolari and Bruce McLaren and he also won the 12 Hours of Sebring as well.

Saint Devote
2nd July 2010, 01:50
So? You might not, but the FIA did. The FIA are the people who run the show.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." :D

I think BCE and Maranello Luca would have something to say about your belief that the FIA "run" the show.

Bernie runs the show, the FIA govern incompetently. A significant difference.

And just because "an authority" declares something so, does not mean it is. After all, it was the government of the day that declared Ptolemy correct and Copernicus incorrect.

We know who spoke the truth :D

Saint Devote
2nd July 2010, 02:10
I don't believe FIA or anyone else had copyright to the term "Grand Prix".
Historically the Sebring race was labelled the Grand Prix of Endurance; also for a number of years the Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport was run to Sportscar regulations. Both of these events were International events, and thus sanctioned by FIA.

The North Americans can be rather quaint at times, but we are all aware that the real "grand prix de endurance" takes place at Le Mans on the second weekend of June each season.

At no time was an FIA sanctioned Canadian Grand Prix run with sportscars - always my beloved Formula 1 cars. The first Canadian GP was run by the driver who as a little boy I was taught by my mother went by the name Jack Brabham and I was given a replica of his Brabham BT24 to play with.

D28
2nd July 2010, 04:31
The North Americans can be rather quaint at times, but we are all aware that the real "grand prix de endurance" takes place at Le Mans on the second weekend of June each season.

At no time was an FIA sanctioned Canadian Grand Prix run with sportscars - always my beloved Formula 1 cars. The first Canadian GP was run by the driver who as a little boy I was taught by my mother went by the name Jack Brabham and I was given a replica of his Brabham BT24 to play with.

I remember being at all the Canadian Grand Prix for Sportcars 1961-65 If not an FIA sanctioned event, what exactly did I see? I thought I saw the current F1 champions, and leading drivers in competition with the best from
N. America. If these professional, international races were not sanctioned by the FIA, or their representative in America, then who did sanction the races?
These were classic races, the results are avilable for all to see. They were the forerunner of the Canadian GP F1 event.

Saint Devote
2nd July 2010, 04:42
Years ago in the 1980's which f1 driver - one of my favorites - publicly declared that women did not belong in f1. It was on a British GP weekend at Brands Hatch where Desiree Wilson was trying to qualify.

He went on to say that if he had to lap her on the circuit at any time, he WOULD force her off the track.

Nothing was said and I remember we all just accepted that.

Amazing how times have changed.

Saint Devote
2nd July 2010, 04:47
I remember being at all the Canadian Grand Prix for Sportcars 1961-65 If not an FIA sanctioned event, what exactly did I see? I thought I saw the current F1 champions, and leading drivers in competition with the best from
N. America. If these professional, international races were not sanctioned by the FIA, or their representative in America, then who did sanction the races?
These were classic races, the results are avilable for all to see. They were the forerunner of the Canadian GP F1 event.

I think it must have been the equivalent to USAC in the US.

Remember in those days the FIA as such did not exist and their powers had not yet been defined. At best it was the FISA that existed.

My knowledge on matters of governance does not extend beyond Count Metternich and the FISA days of 1974.

Vitesse
2nd July 2010, 13:27
I think it must have been the equivalent to USAC in the US.

Remember in those days the FIA as such did not exist and their powers had not yet been defined. At best it was the FISA that existed.

My knowledge on matters of governance does not extend beyond Count Metternich and the FISA days of 1974.
Obviously. Here's a vastly simplified version.

The governance of racing has its roots in the foundation of the Automobile Club de France in 1895. By the middle of the following decade they had formed their Commission Sportive and they effectively controlled Grand Prix racing until the Great War - theirs was the only Grand Prix anyway. Other events - notably the American Grand Prize - were run for these cars too.

In the 1920s, as more Grands Prix appeared on the calendar, power passed to the AIACR (Association Internationale des Automobile Clubs Reconnus), which had been founded in 1906 and which set the Grand Prix Formula through its Commission Sportive Internationale. American racing split away at this point, the AAA setting their own rules. The high point of AIACR rule was the 1930s, when they set the formulae which gave us classic racers like the Alfa Romeo tipo B, the Mercedes Benz W25 and W154, the Auto Unions and the Maserati 8C.

In 1946 the AIACR was reconstituted as the FIA, re-assuming the power it had held pre-war, the CSI again determining the International formulae, both for open-wheel and sports cars. This continued a process which had been begun in the mid-1930s but which had been stalled by both politics and the war.

What seems to be confusing you is that while the FIA maintained the International Calendar and organised various championships, they were not responsible for actually running the races. That responsibility lay with the various national and local clubs, who worked with the CSI to produce a viable calendar, ensuring wherever possible that there were no major event clashes. So your claim that "at no time was an FIA sanctioned Canadian Grand Prix run with sportscars" is just plain wrong. As the Canadian GP grew it attracted larger and better entries from abroad: if nothing else that is an indication that it was an FIA-sanctioned event, since no driver with an FIA licence could compete in a non-sanctioned event abroad. The first Canadian GP run for Formula 1 cars was in 1967. It was the 7th running of the race.

USAC is a whole different ball game again. They took over the administration of US racing from the AAA in (IIRC) 1956, but the situation there also involves the SCCA and various local sanctioning bodies.

D28
2nd July 2010, 13:47
Jochen Rindt won the 1965 Le Mans 24 Hours, and the 1970 WDC and Monaco.

The only other winners of both the Monaco GP and Le Mans I can think of are Tazio Nuvolari and Bruce McLaren and he also won the 12 Hours of Sebring as well.

This is all true, but not the correct answer.

Vitesse
2nd July 2010, 15:01
Small correction to my post above, as editing doesn't seem to be allowed: the AIACR was founded in 1904, not 1906.

DazzlaF1
2nd July 2010, 20:36
Graham Hill has some very impressive, records, one of which is LeMans winner, plus 5 time Monaco GP victor. Several drivers have won both classics, but only one (other than Hill), has repeated, that is won won one or other of the classics, more than once. Name the driver and his records. I am talking about the modern era, 1950 forward.

I know this one, he won at Monaco in 1955 and 1958, and also won at Le Mans in 1954 partnering Jose Froilan Gonzalez in a Ferrari 375...

...Maurice Trintignant.

Incidentally those 2 victories at Monaco are the only grands prix he ever won

D28
2nd July 2010, 22:24
I know this one, he won at Monaco in 1955 and 1958, and also won at Le Mans in 1954 partnering Jose Froilan Gonzalez in a Ferrari 375...

...Maurice Trintignant.

Incidentally those 2 victories at Monaco are the only grands prix he ever won

That is the man, a bit of a Monaco specialist. His win with the Walker Cooper was the first rear-engined GP victory in Europe, since the 1930s.

Saint Devote
4th July 2010, 05:32
What achievement do Peter Revson and Clay Regazzoni have in common, each one linked to a specific team on the grid today?

I hope this is not too cryptic!

52Paddy
4th July 2010, 16:06
What achievement do Peter Revson and Clay Regazzoni have in common, each one linked to a specific team on the grid today?

Is this something to do with the accident that ended both of their racing careers? Revson lost his life because of a suspension failure. Regazzoni was paralysed because of failing brakes. Shadow and Ensign were the respective teamsso can't think of any connection. Just to get the ball rolling...

Saint Devote
4th July 2010, 17:39
Is this something to do with the accident that ended both of their racing careers? Revson lost his life because of a suspension failure. Regazzoni was paralysed because of failing brakes. Shadow and Ensign were the respective teamsso can't think of any connection. Just to get the ball rolling...

No, this is happily nothing tragic - looking back I think fans that came into the sport relatively recently - the past 15 years are fortunate indeed to have never had to deal with what was so very much part of this sport.

Clue: next weekend is the common event :D

DazzlaF1
4th July 2010, 20:01

I hope this is not too cryptic!

Thats a toughie, because they never drove for the same team at any point in their careers.

I'll say they both won at Silverstone on their final appareance there (Revson in 73 before he was killed the next year at Kyalami and Regazzoni in 79 before his career ending crash at Long Beach a year later)

Saint Devote
4th July 2010, 20:08
Thats a toughie, because they never drove for the same team at any point in their careers.

I'll say they both won at Silverstone on their final appareance there (Revson in 73 before he was killed the next year at Kyalami and Regazzoni in 79 before his career ending crash at Long Beach a year later)

You are on the right track - no pun intended, but why the hell not - but it relates to the respective teams that they drove for remember :D

52Paddy
5th July 2010, 15:29
You are on the right track - no pun intended, but why the hell not - but it relates to the respective teams that they drove for remember :D

I think I have it. Both won the first British GP for their respective teams. Revson won McLaren's first British GP in 1973 and Regazonni won Williams' first one in 1979 (which turned out to be their first ever race win in F1).