PDA

View Full Version : Searching

AndySpeed
7th December 2006, 21:12
I'm getting this message when doing various searching tasks around the forum:
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 48 seconds.
In my opinion 60 seconds is a bit too long. 30 seconds on the other hand would work fine.

schmenke
7th December 2006, 21:16
Slow down Andy :p :

MattL
8th December 2006, 01:32
I think 60 is fine. By the time you've searched and looked the results...

We have to balance functionality with resource usage, but I'll run it by Mark as well.

viper_man
8th December 2006, 02:50
It only seems slow because everything else is so damn fast

garyshell
8th December 2006, 06:12
I think 60 is fine. By the time you've searched and looked the results...

We have to balance functionality with resource usage, but I'll run it by Mark as well.

That assumes you got results from the first search. If not, you are left cooling your heels for 60 seconds before you can try again. Are your options limited to a specific time? Could the time be set based on the RESULTS of the previous search? That is, if the previous search returns a bunch of hits your next search can'r happen for x seconds, but if the previous search returned a small number of hits you don't have to wait as long? (I know, I know, I'm being overly optimistic as to what the software will allow you to configure.)

Are the searches REALLY that resource intensive? If the database has a full text index being generated, it shouldn't be that big of a deal when a search is done.

Gary

MattL
8th December 2006, 14:47
I'll set it to 30 secs when the admin panel starts working again!

In the majority of cases it won't be an issue anyway, if you get your first search right!

SuperAguri
8th December 2006, 17:47
May be a little off topic, but this is a topic about searching....

I think maybe members should be encouraged to search more to find threads related to what they want, it stops people posting over and over again about the same thing. Bumping old threads shouldn't be an issue as long as it's relevant.