PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Hamilton sets up F1 Testing Academy running own fleet of 2009 F1 cars!

Giuseppe F1
28th January 2010, 13:25
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81095

Hamilton launches F1 test academy
By Mark Glendenning
Thursday, January 28th 2010, 11:24 GMT

Anthony Hamilton is planning to run a fleet of 2009-spec Formula 1 cars in an effort to help young drivers gain mileage in current grand prix cars without being constrained by the testing restrictions, today's AUTOSPORT reveals.

The father of 2008 world champion Lewis, Hamilton intends to lease year-old cars, along with equipment and personnel, from teams and run them independently in a programme called the GP Prep Drivers Academy.

He has already agreed terms with McLaren for the supply of two cars, and is in advanced talks with other teams.

Hamilton said that the idea was to give young drivers who would otherwise not get a chance to test an F1 car a chance to prove their potential........

........"There are guys who don't get a look in. The idea with GP Prep is to provide more of an opportunity for young drivers to be spotted."

Costs are still being determined, although it is expected that a day's testing will require a similar budget to a weekend of racing in a high-level open-wheeler.

Deals are also being finalised with circuits, although it is anticipated that most running will take place in the UK. The programme is expected to be launched in March.

Giuseppe F1
28th January 2010, 13:31
Doesnt this sound a lot like what Stefan GP had hoped to do?

Mark
28th January 2010, 13:54
But doesn't running 2009 cars in any format amount to 'testing' and is hence banned?

wedge
28th January 2010, 14:04
I'm just wondering how this will be funded. I'm assuming drivers will have to pay to enter
?

Dave B
28th January 2010, 15:02
With testing all but banned, this could be a sound move. He may end up with a lot of mangled wreckage, or he may just discover the next... er, Lewis Hamilton.

Mark
28th January 2010, 15:06
I'm just wondering how this will be funded. I'm assuming drivers will have to pay to enter
?

Yes, that's the idea. Or rather they'll be funded by their sponsors or F1 teams that wish to asses them etc.

I am evil Homer
28th January 2010, 15:34
Doesnt this sound a lot like what Stefan GP had hoped to do?

Except more legitimate and backed by McLaren already. It's a good idea and i'm all for it with testing hugely limited.

Dr. Krogshöj
28th January 2010, 16:09
But doesn't running 2009 cars in any format amount to 'testing' and is hence banned?

The teams won't run those cars, a private company will. Nothing to do with the F1 regulations.

Bagwan
28th January 2010, 16:49
The teams won't run those cars, a private company will. Nothing to do with the F1 regulations.

Isn't it a rather grey area , though , if it's an existing team that is paying for the ride ?

Is there a rule in place to stop teams who have a driver who is struggling to come to grips with the F1 platform from dropping him into one of these cars ?
I don't think it's a bad idea , if possible , but it's not in keeping with limitted testing cost saving measures that seem to be the focus elsewhere in the rules .

That StefanGP talked about this may be of little consequence anyway , if they get a spot because one of the others fails .
It's more likely that it just served to speed up this Anthony Hamilton announcement , and was likely intended as such .

Sonic
28th January 2010, 17:42
I'm not "against" the idea but what a ridiculus situation to be in! Teams can't test their up and coming stars so now someone (namely Hamster snr) is going to get very rich out of it - dumb!

I am evil Homer
28th January 2010, 17:50
Get rich? Doubt it...he'll have to hire a circuit and lease the cars/staff. That won't be cheap but he'll have to make it affordable enough for sponsors to cough up.

I don't doubt it will make a profit, but less so than him getting a cut of his son's wages!

truefan72
28th January 2010, 18:15
good move,good for him

UltimateDanGTR
28th January 2010, 18:29
i can't see this being a very profitable excercise-so this mean Hammy snr is doing it to help drivers-and good for him! I hope they get some talent of the future out their, and i hope a few british drivers can impress there! hopefully this will be a success.

Jag_Warrior
28th January 2010, 18:58
I was under the impression that the testing ban was to limit the amount of money that teams put into developing and validating new bits on current cars. Especially since this would be to aid in assessing drivers who are not yet in F1, I think this is a great idea.

52Paddy
28th January 2010, 20:54
An interesting idea from Anthony. I don't know that much about the father. I've only seen him in some TV interviews when he is talking about how Lewis' or himself is feeling about a current race.

I wonder how he works and deals with projects like this. Is he the right man for the job? Regardless, it has great potential :up:

Mark
29th January 2010, 10:16
I wonder how he works and deals with projects like this. Is he the right man for the job? Regardless, it has great potential :up:

He's done ok in his role of manager for Lewis Hamilton so I don't see why not.

52Paddy
29th January 2010, 11:06
He's done ok in his role of manager for Lewis Hamilton so I don't see why not.

On paper, it looks good. But he does have an advantage being a father with, what seems like, a very good rapport with Lewis.

jens
29th January 2010, 14:18
IMO a good solution to current situation would be if third/reserve drivers of each F1 team get a testing opportunity on Fridays of each Grand Prix race weekend.

52Paddy
30th January 2010, 20:09
IMO a good solution to current situation would be if third/reserve drivers of each F1 team get a testing opportunity on Fridays of each Grand Prix race weekend.

This has cropped up a lot over the off-season. A good idea and not too far-fetched to assume that it could still happen within the next few years :up:

driveace
30th January 2010, 20:22
Give the guy a pat on the back,at least he is trying to put something back into the sport,that has given his son so much.he is his sons manager.,and has run him in all classes from Go carts to F1.Hope it comes off !

Hondo
31st January 2010, 22:27
I think it sounds like a shyster, fly-by-night operation designed to expand Anthony's pockets before it goes under. It will prey upon the desperate with meager resources and will fufill the fantasies of those with resources who want to be able to say they once drove a real, live F1 car. I would think the constructors would make him sweetheart deals on the used cars because cars just sitting there collecting dust does them no good. A car wrecked by a rookie or thrill seeker brings an insurance settlement and more cash for the operation.

I pity the unfortunate driver that thinks hopping around waving his diploma from the Anthony Hamilton 1 Day Academy of Formula 1 Test Driving* is going to further his career. Besides, it will be fun to see Nick, Jacques, and Ralf pretend they were just passing by and weren't there to enroll.

*Although in obsolete equipment.

ArrowsFA1
2nd March 2010, 11:42
Anthony Hamilton's young driver academy has received the official approval from Bernie Ecclestone and Formula One Management for the use of the Formula 1 name.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81806

52Paddy
2nd March 2010, 12:34
Good news. I hope this program works and brings new great talent to the sport, and not just those drivers with a rich daddy.

Saint Devote
2nd March 2010, 12:56
Its for the no-hopers - the good F1 drivers are noticed in RACING SERIES. And the relevance from one year to the next is not there.

Instead dear Dad should hook up with someone like Winfield or the racing school at Brands and so on and focus on older dudes prepared to pay to fulfil thei dream of driving an F1 car around a track - how many laps depending how much they will pay.

Far better idea. Anthony could become more popular than his son!!!!!

Garry Walker
2nd March 2010, 20:58
Anthony will pocket a nice sum from this. Great idea obviously from him.

52Paddy
3rd March 2010, 02:07
Its for the no-hopers - the good F1 drivers are noticed in RACING SERIES.

I agree that good drivers should be noticed in racing series, but this is not always the case. Some drivers who perform well in lower formulae, don't necessarily make good F1 drivers. And, those who may not set the world alight in their early career, might make a huge impression in an F1 car (I'm thinking of Nelson Piquet and Kamui Kobayashi respectively). If a driver can be seen to impress in an F1 car, then it's a better showcase of whether he's fit for F1. With this scheme, more drivers have that opportunity and I see it is as a positive venture :up: