PDA

View Full Version : Official Bahrain GP Thread!

christophulus
25th January 2010, 16:39
OK, it's a little early..

However, Bahrain GP organisers have announced the race will take place on a longer, slower, (more boring) circuit than last year.

http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1264430274.jpg
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81055

The new bit after turn 4 means that it's now the second longest circuit on the calendar after Spa. Not sure that adding six extra cars to the field really justifies using the extended circuit, which will probably be even worse on the brakes.

Allyc85
25th January 2010, 17:00
I hope theres a bit of elevation in that new section as it does look very boring and slows the approach to the fast esses after it :(

Sonic
25th January 2010, 17:30
*checks calender*

*shrugs*

jonny hurlock
25th January 2010, 21:30
wait and see for the first season, imo they didn't need to change the track.

truefan72
25th January 2010, 21:33
agreed, but I generally like longer tracks. Lets see if these additions improve the course or not. I will reserve judgment until after FP1 :)

truefan72
25th January 2010, 21:47
old vs new

New Layout

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/Bahrain_International_Circuit--Endurance_Circuit.svg/800px-Bahrain_International_Circuit--Endurance_Circuit.svg.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bahrain_International_Circuit--Endurance_Circuit.svg

old layout

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Bahrain_International_Circuit--Grand_Prix_Layout.svg/800px-Bahrain_International_Circuit--Grand_Prix_Layout.svg.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bahrain_International_Circuit--Grand_Prix_Layout.svg

actually, I never liked that turn 5,6,7 stretch in the old circuit, so to me this seems like a good change.

cosmicpanda
26th January 2010, 10:02
It'll be interesting to see how they set up downforce, now. They'll need some sort of compromise between high downforce for the twisty bits, long fast corner(s) and for braking into the hairpins, but if they go too high they'll lose on the straights and that might hurt them in the race.

Mark
26th January 2010, 11:59
Agreed, Bahrain has always been quite dull IMO, and not the best place to start the season. A few changes wouldn't go amiss.

I'd much prefer the season opener to be Melbourne but I guess they weren't prepared to pay for the privilege and Bernie doesn't want a middle of the night race as the season opener.

K-Pu
26th January 2010, 12:20
Agreed, Bahrain has always been quite dull IMO, and not the best place to start the season. A few changes wouldn't go amiss.

I'd much prefer the season opener to be Melbourne but I guess they weren't prepared to pay for the privilege and Bernie doesn't want a middle of the night race as the season opener.

Totally agree. Bahrain is nothing special, and as a season opener err... with no one on the grandstands... some kind of fizzy stuff instead of champagne... one Tilkodrome more... but willing (and able) to pay much more than Albert Park.

wedge
26th January 2010, 13:08
I'm just wondering whether we have taken away an overtaking opportunity into T4. There has been some good drag racing moments into that corner. Heidfeld overtaking Alonso in 2007 sticks in my mind.

The drivers like it, and is of the better Tilke creations.

There has been some good racing moments, better than in Melbourne.

Bahrain is criticised because it is not F1 country. Go to Australia or Brazil and you will get the party atmosphere to kick off the new season.

wedge
27th January 2010, 00:01
I don't understand what you mean, as turn 4 remains unchanged? Its the section after which has been diverted. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU4yCPtcMIg

The exit appears quicker than the original configuration. This could possibly affect the racing line/corner entry-exit.

Valve Bounce
27th January 2010, 05:21
Well Massa is known as the master of Bahrain so it'll be interesting to see how he manages the change. I welcome the variation to be honest as its always struck me as a fairly dull racetrack. The appealing feature for me is the difficult turn 19 which even caught Schuey out a couple of times. Hopefully the new section will produce one or two more chances to witness an overtake.. :)

Yeah!! SchM must have found it very confusing, seeing the old circuit only had 15 turns.

gloomyDAY
27th January 2010, 05:25
Too bad the season opener is not until the Australian GP.

Well, at least for me, that is. :D

K-Pu
27th January 2010, 11:41
Too bad the season opener is not until the Australian GP.

Well, at least for me, that is. :D

I also try to do it, but itīs not the same... :(

Valve Bounce
27th January 2010, 12:33
I also try to do it, but itīs not the same... :(

There is a very real upside to this for those at the GP. Sometimes we get very hot days around the second weekend of March, as experienced two years ago when there was a bloody heat wave. :(
However, by end of March, the possibility of heatwave conditions is very remote. So, on that basis, end of March is a much better time for the Oz GP.

By the same token, the second weekend of March tends to be cooler in Bahrain than the middle of the year.

truefan72
28th January 2010, 01:51
Totally agree. Bahrain is nothing special, and as a season opener err... with no one on the grandstands... some kind of fizzy stuff instead of champagne... one Tilkodrome more... but willing (and able) to pay much more than Albert Park.

err bahrain has always been very well attended..and the drivers like it.
I think the track had some very good overtaking opportunities and usually the races features a good number of them. Just because mass or whoever ran away with the lead does not mean that the track is dull., These new improvements are an addition to an already pretty good track. IMO

gloomyDAY
28th January 2010, 17:34
err bahrain has always been very well attended..and the drivers like it.
I think the track had some very good overtaking opportunities and usually the races features a good number of them. Just because mass or whoever ran away with the lead does not mean that the track is dull., These new improvements are an addition to an already pretty good track. IMOThe track may be fun for drivers, but it's a pretty boring GP to watch. :s nore:

52Paddy
28th January 2010, 20:03
The track may be fun for drivers, but it's a pretty boring GP to watch. :s nore:

I agree. I don't ever remember being particularly excited watching any of the Bahrain GPs since it first came into being. It may very well be an anti-climatic season opener but the new loop will at least create some interest, even if the racing is still dull. I don't dislike the track, per se, its just that I don't find it especially entertaining either. I'm still looking forward to the race though, but we've still over 6 weeks to wait :(

wedge
29th January 2010, 00:25
The track may be fun for drivers, but it's a pretty boring GP to watch. :s nore:

Last year saw a terrific move by Button on Hamilton, Piquet Jr did a decent job of holding off Rubens.

Heidfeld overtaking Alonso in 2007

PDLR arguably driver of the race in 2005 with an entertaining drive with good and bad passing maneuvers

Alonso and Schumi having a tense battle all race long in 2006

F1boat
29th January 2010, 06:41
Last year saw a terrific move by Button on Hamilton, Piquet Jr did a decent job of holding off Rubens.

Heidfeld overtaking Alonso in 2007

PDLR arguably driver of the race in 2005 with an entertaining drive with good and bad passing maneuvers

Alonso and Schumi having a tense battle all race long in 2006

I agree. 2006 was a great race!

jens
29th January 2010, 12:49
I actually don't see much point in those changes they have made to the circuit. But then again there have been many changes on various circuits throughout years, which haven't been useful... Probably that's the keyword of modern circuit design - offer a new layout just for the sake of difference regardless of whether it's needed or not. :p :

wedge
29th January 2010, 13:23
I actually don't see much point in those changes they have made to the circuit. But then again there have been many changes on various circuits throughout years, which haven't been useful... Probably that's the keyword of modern circuit design - offer a new layout just for the sake of difference regardless of whether it's needed or not. :p :

Bahrain is a good circuit and is now just under 4miles. I have been longing for another 4 mile road course. Too bad there are not dramatic elevation changes otherwise it would be a great circuit by now.